What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Been a good run...I'm done with the FF (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Going to drop my final two leagues after this playoffs. Been fun bantering with you guys. The game just isn't what I started playing 20 years ago. Like most things in life it just isn't fun after a while. Going to focus all this time and money on something productive.

Go Pack Go.

I'm really close to stopping after this year. I'm sure I'll be back by June at the latest though.

im down to one league with work buds. my best league all quit. most went to daily and im not interested in that lol. i'll ride out this work league until it goes away and stop.

I'm really close to stopping after this year. I'm sure I'll be back by June at the latest though.
I'm quitting now. I really wanted to last year but I commish a really competitive league so I got talked into staying. It truly brought me very little joy at all. All season it was more like a burden than anything. I'm actually looking forward to just watching the Packers without worrying about who I have playing against them or whatever.

Good luck with your future endeavors/hobbies...etc. You've obviously been a highly contributing member of the Shark Pool and I personally appreciate that very much. Pay no attention to some of the less than appreciative comments in this thread. Sometimes I feel like this place should be called "The Snark Pool" instead.

Good luck with your future endeavors/hobbies...etc. You've obviously been a highly contributing member of the Shark Pool and I personally appreciate that very much. Pay no attention to some of the less than appreciative comments in this thread. Sometimes I feel like this place should be called "The Snark Pool" instead.
I appreciate that. I helped out where I could. But I don't have much of a social life so this place was always kind of a surrogate for that.

Give me your lunch money!

Going to drop my final two leagues after this playoffs. Been fun bantering with you guys. The game just isn't what I started playing 20 years ago. Like most things in life it just isn't fun after a while. Going to focus all this time and money on something productive.

Go Pack Go.
Burnout is real... I say cut down to one small money league next year and pick ONLY players you really like.

ADP be dammed.

I understand burn out I cut down to one dynasty league for about 5 years but admit now I am back to 2 + DFS(football only though I can't do the other sports or Id burn out in no time). Good luck with other more important things.

Nah. Time for something new. I have wasted far too much of my life on this thing.
Good Luck and find something that makes you happy. I am down to 1 league, the same one I started in 20 years ago. I likely stay in that 1 league but I have considered a complete pull out. I also am tired of the NFL in a lot of ways and also the slow and steady demise of the Miami Dolphins to the point I want to stop supporting all together. This was bad when we transformed from Joe Robbie to Mr Blockbuster although there were a few decent years in the 90s but with the new ownership you have no connection to this team at all. It's sad to see so many Miami greats at the game being honored tonight and knowing that there isn't much to honor in the last 15-20 year with the exception of a handful of players maybe even less than that.

Don't get down over the time you wasted but have a solid plan to do something more productive, don't waste it on something else with no upside.

Likewise I'm in only one league, but one I've been involved with for 25 years. I'm tied into a good group of friends who mostly still live in the same area. We have an in-person draft and other social tie-ins, and if it wasn't for that, I'd be gone from this league too. Some combination of the way the NFL and ESPN have both become 1000 pound gorillas, and the way my life has grown fuller has taken a lot of the old fun out of the game for me, too. I'm glad I have secondary interests to keep me interested and involved because there are still many moments that are enjoyable. We started this league in 1990 to make watching football more entertaining, and for the most part, that simple tenet still holds true.

Hope you enjoy your FF retirement, Sabertooth! Thanks for your many contributions over the years. I hope you find what you're looking for and it's better than you can imagine.

Go Pack Go.
I've felt the same way in the past. Hope to see you back, I'm in pretty good shape in my money leagues.

The money is nice when you win. Makes the chore of doing the game more fun.

I have 2 leagues I'm in, but am not an active/shark player in them. I mostly luck into a good team at this point if I have a good team. And I don't care that much. I don't watch games just because my fantasy player is playing. I might watch 1 game a week. And only teams I care about. That cures my burnout, but 7 or 8 years ago I was burnt out and never got heavily back into the hobby since. I figure life changes. I don't think we're meant to keep the same hobbies for a long period of time.

I said the same thing last year and got sucked back in this season so Im not going to make any definitive statements but I'm also leaning towards giving it up. The opening up of easily accessible information via the Internet has leveled the playing field to the point that picking up key sleepers is more a matter of extreme luck and having key waiver wire placement nowadays compared to previously when you could scoop players if you did more research than the next guy. Now you pretty much can ignore research, read a few waiver columns on a Tuesday and win your league.

Luck has always been a big part of FF but for me the analysis was the fun part. Now it's almost a waste of time to read up.

I said the same thing last year and got sucked back in this season so Im not going to make any definitive statements but I'm also leaning towards giving it up. The opening up of easily accessible information via the Internet has leveled the playing field to the point that picking up key sleepers is more a matter of extreme luck and having key waiver wire placement nowadays compared to previously when you could scoop players if you did more research than the next guy. Now you pretty much can ignore research, read a few waiver columns on a Tuesday and win your league.

Luck has always been a big part of FF but for me the analysis was the fun part. Now it's almost a waste of time to read up.
This. You used to be able to be good at your league year-in and year-out if you worked hard enough (and out-worked the other guys with preparation). These days, any idiot with an internet connection can show up 10 minutes before the draft, do a search, and draft a solid team. And if they then follow online suggestions/predictions, they can field a good team weekly. Sure, the new age fantasy football great for noobs, but less satisfying for folks who really invest the time that *used* to be paid back in results. Now it's a heck of a lot more random.

I made the playoffs with both of my teams, so I'm not whining. But the proliferation of quality information (which allows many owners to "autopilot" their teams) has whittled the "skill" angle way, WAY down. Which is a lot less fun for me. YMMV.

I'm quitting now. I really wanted to last year but I commish a really competitive league so I got talked into staying. It truly brought me very little joy at all. All season it was more like a burden than anything. I'm actually looking forward to just watching the Packers without worrying about who I have playing against them or whatever.
Man this is me right here. I'm leaving a league I built in 2000 with Air Force buddies from around the world, a super 16 team IDPer. Wanted to leave 2 years ago but stayed on because of the friendships but it has become more a burden than a labor of love. I started searching out other formats and will stay on with FFPC and RSO but I really am nostalgic for the old days...must be an age thing...I'm sure the younger dudes will pick up the torch and carry on.

I've taken a couple of seasons off before and it was a nice break to just watch football and not care about individual players' stats.

Go Pack Go.
I am down to only one dynasty league. I find it more fun to play in one league than I did when I was in more. Maybe try that before quitting entirely? Will miss your posts.

Go Pack Go.
I am down to only one dynasty league. I find it more fun to play in one league than I did when I was in more. Maybe try that before quitting entirely? Will miss your posts.
That was my plan this year. Then a buddy saidbhe needed people for his league so I said yes. Then he needed help being commissioner, so I said yes. Sigh. Now I'm commissioner in two leagues and just lost in the first round of both.

Meh play in one league and don't put as much time into it. There is so much random luck in the game you really have to change your perspective if you're only going to play in a few leagues. You could make virtually all the right decisions and easily lose every year for decades. If it's a competitive league it could be longer......

I've scored as many if not more points than any team in my dynasty league over a 3 year period. During that same period I've won more regular season games than anybody. I have exactly 1 playoff win and no money won. Meh it happens. I'm still having fun and really the money means nothing.

If you're not having fun though then maybe it's time for a break.

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Pack Go.
:cry:

:bye:

Likewise I'm in only one league, but one I've been involved with for 25 years. I'm tied into a good group of friends who mostly still live in the same area. We have an in-person draft and other social tie-ins, and if it wasn't for that, I'd be gone from this league too.
This is almost my case as well. Our league has been around for 25 years, I've been in it for 15. We're all good friends, socialize as families, have watched each other's kids grow.

The desire to beat your good friends at FF will always be there, so I don't see giving it up. But I'm a one league guy and I don't think I'd have nearly the same zest if it were a random league or work league.

Good luck, Sabertooth. Hopefully after a year off you'll get the urge again to get back in.

Hey Saber good luck, but if you do it, do it. Send out messages to all your league mates now, because if you wait until next summer you will just get sucked in again. Draft parties, excuse to get out, draft talk, offers, rookies picked by certain NFL teams, all that. Cut the cord. Good luck, yeah real life is very cool and very important.

Go Pack Go.
This is my first year back after a five+ year hiatus. One thing you notice is how long football season actually is :) Enjoy your time away.

Man this is me right here. I'm leaving a league I built in 2000 with Air Force buddies from around the world, a super 16 team IDPer. Wanted to leave 2 years ago but stayed on because of the friendships but it has become more a burden than a labor of love. I started searching out other formats and will stay on with FFPC and RSO but I really am nostalgic for the old days...must be an age thing...I'm sure the younger dudes will pick up the torch and carry on.
Thank you for your service.

Are guys complaining that it's too hard to win now because anyone can do it? ahahahahahah

Last edited by a moderator:

This. You used to be able to be good at your league year-in and year-out if you worked hard enough (and out-worked the other guys with preparation). These days, any idiot with an internet connection can show up 10 minutes before the draft, do a search, and draft a solid team. And if they then follow online suggestions/predictions, they can field a good team weekly. Sure, the new age fantasy football great for noobs, but less satisfying for folks who really invest the time that *used* to be paid back in results. Now it's a heck of a lot more random.

I made the playoffs with both of my teams, so I'm not whining. But the proliferation of quality information (which allows many owners to "autopilot" their teams) has whittled the "skill" angle way, WAY down. Which is a lot less fun for me. YMMV.
My version of this has not been to quit outright but to find the "delta" of efforts to results. I used to invest many, many hours "researching" the hobby and too much of that time wasn't translating into an equivalent advantage over my opponents. I've cut out a lot of that tire spinning and enjoy it much more...

Saber,

You had an epiphany of what life could be like without FF. I'm guessing it will be hard to give up at least the discussion part of the hobby, even if you decide to ditch your last two dynasty leagues. The itch to discuss football, not just in how it pertains to FF but real talk, about your favorite team, favorite players, etc, will be a huge distraction to avoid. I don't think I could quit talking Raiders football, and this forum allows me the opportunity to share thoughts and concerns about my team in the team thread. I used to have a white star by almost every thread because I was in so many leagues and had a stake in just about every player. Now I hardly post in player threads anymore, and my passion for mining info to keep me a step ahead is lost. We all gotta grow up. The hobby is a good time-waster, especially if you are going to throw your entire weekend into watching football. But priorities change, as they should. Attending to family becomes an outright need. Time gets precious as you get older. I'm still in a couple leagues, and I just bowed out of my playoffs as well if there's any solace in misery enjoying company. But you know what? The loss wasn't painful and I really didn't spend a lot of time watching or agonizing over it. If anything I felt relief the FF season is over. Even if it is a dynasty league. I don't plan to be active until the spring. I need a break. Now it's time to pick and choose which games I want to watch, and send all the FBG's daily mail to my junk folder.

i took about 4 years off -was amazing to get a break

then got roped into joining 1 small money league last season. won the league. stayed in the league for this season and into the semis as top point scorer thus far :thumbup:

you'll be back

Users who are viewing this thread