What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Facebook & GoFundMe - FU, GoFundYourself (1 Viewer)

Buddy Ball 2K3

Footballguy
A couple of years ago it came out that a family members child has a very painful disease and the treatments for her were extremely pricey. Her immediate family held a fund raising event that many local Philly companies supported. All the sports teams sent memorabilia, the local radio stations offered sit in's on their different shows, etc. Quite a bit of money was raised and they were able to really help the young lady. Fast forward to this summer and the family is asking for $ once again on Facebook via a GoFundMe page. Normally I would be fine with this but the family just bought a freaking new vet and a mobile home. So yeah... FU and your begging for money.

That leads me to last night. Wife says to me he did you see Kacy's facebook post about sending her daughter to Ital (This is a totally different family) via a GoFundMe page? Ummm no I didnt. Didn't they just have a huge 2 week European vacation this summer? Yes they did, but now the daughter wants to go back and study over in Italy and they are asking for money.

So I check Facebook this am and the mothers post was this "Well things are looking meek. We have only raised a couple hundred dollars, but I still have faith in all of you."

So is it now common place for well off families to beg for handouts on facebook etc? This #### drives me nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...

Friends of ours, two income family, nice house, nice cars..

Daughter wants to go to some kind of camp.. Started a gofundme on facebook to pay for it.. I laughed when I saw it.

We had a younger cousin fire up one of these for basically a trip to San Fran, never been so offended, wanted to drive up to Tampa and choke her myself.

Rich folks lost a couple 13 year olds letting them take a boat out from Jupiter, FL to the Bahamas, should have been arrested for child neglect, instead they are raising money with the help of Joe Namath, I #### you not.

I have found a lot of the go fund me sites to be very selfish and self centered in their roots. Some are good but many are just an excuse to grab some other's coin.

A couple of years ago it came out that a family members child has a very painful disease and the treatments for her were extremely pricey. Her immediate family held a fund raising event that many local Philly companies supported. All the sports teams sent memorabilia, the local radio stations offered sit in's on their different shows, etc. Quite a bit of money was raised and they were able to really help the young lady. Fast forward to this summer and the family is asking for $ once again on Facebook via a GoFundMe page. Normally I would be fine with this but the family just bought a freaking new vet and a mobile home. So yeah... FU and your begging for money.

That leads me to last night. Wife says to me he did you see Kacy's facebook post about sending her daughter to Ital (This is a totally different family) via a GoFundMe page? Ummm no I didnt. Didn't they just have a huge 2 week European vacation this summer? Yes they did, but now the daughter wants to go back and study over in Italy and they are asking for money.

So I check Facebook this am and the mothers post was this "Well things are looking meek. We have only raised a couple hundred dollars, but I still have faith in all of you."

So is it now common place for well off families to beg for handouts on facebook etc? This #### drives me nuts.
damn she doesn't even know the difference between 'meek' and 'bleak'.

That deserves some public shaming.

I've supported a couple GoFundMe campaigns, but they weren't at all like the examples the OP and others cited.

One was a songwriter who was making a children's album (also happens to be my daughter's jazz choir teacher.) I was happy to help out, the album turned out great, even got some obscure awards consideration.

The other was a mom in our neighborhood who is the New York State Golden Gloves champ the last 2 years (NYC champ the last 3.) She had never gone to GG Nationals because she couldn't afford to; she's got a decent job as a CBS Sports producer but I know she's not making bank. Twins are expensive, Manhattan resident, etc. I think she's coming up on the age limit (either 33 or 35 for amateurs) so this was like her last shot. She started a GoFundMe and linked to it on FB, and man had she enough in like 24 hours. It was awesome. Then she went down to Orlando and knocked it the #### out and won the GG National Title belt. It's pretty hilarious seeing pics of her wearing all three belts on at the same time (City, State, National.) She's an awesome person, was happy to be a small part of it.

But in general, and especially when it's folks asking for bull#### purposes or they already have the means, yeah FTS.

Yeah, I've contributed to a few artists. Its a great tool to help get around the label-model, which has always been about ripping off the artist. And people with medical bills, while i havent encountered anybody doing it yet, that's great too. These others just looking to get a trip for their kid paid for or spending money for themselves...get a bartending job.

There's a woman here in Chicago who runs a wellness center based around raw veganism. I went through her detox program years ago and I appreciate what she does and the concepts. However, she charges a fortune for her products and services. She married some sugar daddy to build her this place and it burned down a year or two ago. She's loaded and drives a Bentley. She just started a kickstarter or gofundme to open the business back up. #### that ####.

The only Go Fund Me I've done is for Corbin, in my profile pic. I have to know the person and it has to be a good cause like health related issues. Otherwise I want that trip, too. :rolleyes:

It's ####### pathetic!

Absolutely beyond pathetic! These kind of people need to be shamed! In fact, I think I'm going to start a FB page titled GofundmeSHAMER. Just start calling out all of the pathetic gofundme campaigns.

I used to donate to three causes; St Judes, HIV, ASPCA - I've consolidated all to St Judes, basically never donate to anything else anymore.

I actually made a little gofundme donation here, but only bc I really ####### hate Jed York and there can't be a worse feeling for a billionaire trust fund ##### than being abused by hiw own fan base.

Guy I went to high school with backed over his kid with a riding mower. I kicked in $50 for that.

It's ####### pathetic!

Absolutely beyond pathetic! These kind of people need to be shamed! In fact, I think I'm going to start a FB page titled GofundmeSHAMER. Just start calling out all of the pathetic gofundme campaigns.

I used to donate to three causes; St Judes, HIV, ASPCA - I've consolidated all to St Judes, basically never donate to anything else anymore.

I actually made a little gofundme donation here, but only bc I really ####### hate Jed York and there can't be a worse feeling for a billionaire trust fund ##### than being abused by hiw own fan base.
someone is mad online

First, i would take any person that did this off of my list of friends. You have the power people. Second, i have limited the organizations i give my donation dollars to an animal rescue and specific families i sponsor around thanksgiving and xmas. If you dig into many of the "charitable" organizations out there you would be offended by how much of your money actually goes toward the cause. guidestar.org is your friend.

a friend put up a gofundme for a $200 late fee on her rent. claimed she paid on time and the landlord effed it up. she is a poor college student. I kicked in $20. landlord ended up waiving the fee in the end and she refunded everyone.

a friend put up a gofundme for a $200 late fee on her rent. claimed she paid on time and the landlord effed it up. she is a poor college student. I kicked in $20. landlord ended up waiving the fee in the end and she refunded everyone.
I have a very simple request for you. I have inherited a vast sum of funds from a rich uncle in Africa. I will sell you my interest in said inheritance for penny's on the dollar if you are able to front your portion in advance. Please PM me for details.

That deserves some public shaming.
:goodposting:

You folks know some really awful people. I've seen maybe about a dozen of these and they've all been for life-threatening illness expenses, funeral costs, or in one case, a step-dad who wanted to legally adopt a stepson and they are dirt poor.

I have a very simple request for you. I have inherited a vast sum of funds from a rich uncle in Africa. I will sell you my interest in said inheritance for penny's on the dollar if you are able to front your portion in advance. Please PM me for details.
lol?

I set one up for my cousin who's husband died Thanksgiving night at 44 (poor guy didn't even get to enjoy dinner) and left her without much money (he was the only income) and 2 young kids. Didn't raise a ton but helped her cover some of the funeral expenses.

Fortunately she's close to done with her degree so there's light at the end of the tunnel financially but not all gofundme pages are bad.

Had a the mother of a friend of one of my kids in school set up one to raise $$$ for a heart surgery for a dog she recently rescued. She is a single mom and is probably doing OK, just can't afford a several thousand dollar vet bill. I think part of the bills were covered by a foundation related to the vet, but I thought this was a good way to raise some $$$ for the vet.

One of my co-workers set up a GoFundMe page to pay for his friend's bail money. Apparently the guy was arrested for some kind of white collar crime and he didn't have enough money to post bail. I was going to donate until I got to the part where it said, "This is a really stressful time for his wife and it would be really helpful if we could raise enough money so she can stay at home with the kids and not get a job."

I gave $50 to a lady who's dog needed a $3,500 TPLO surgery. It was a younger dog and didn't deserve to live with a bum knee for 10 or 12 years. She wouldn't have been able to pay for the surgery any other way. It was legit.

I've supported a couple GoFundMe campaigns, but they weren't at all like the examples the OP and others cited.

One was a songwriter who was making a children's album (also happens to be my daughter's jazz choir teacher.) I was happy to help out, the album turned out great, even got some obscure awards consideration.

The other was a mom in our neighborhood who is the New York State Golden Gloves champ the last 2 years (NYC champ the last 3.) She had never gone to GG Nationals because she couldn't afford to; she's got a decent job as a CBS Sports producer but I know she's not making bank. Twins are expensive, Manhattan resident, etc. I think she's coming up on the age limit (either 33 or 35 for amateurs) so this was like her last shot. She started a GoFundMe and linked to it on FB, and man had she enough in like 24 hours. It was awesome. Then she went down to Orlando and knocked it the #### out and won the GG National Title belt. It's pretty hilarious seeing pics of her wearing all three belts on at the same time (City, State, National.) She's an awesome person, was happy to be a small part of it.

But in general, and especially when it's folks asking for bull#### purposes or they already have the means, yeah FTS.
This is where I am. I've supported a couple of bands I love to help get an album or tour done, a twitter friend's Little League team, and a woman who lost her home to a fire.

Crowd funding to go on vacation? Go jump in a lake.

Users who are viewing this thread