What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Stewart sits...who's the better option for touches (1 Viewer)

Crystalsteam99

Footballguy
. Who gets more touches if Stewart sits the next game or 2. If I'm Carolina,I give Artis-Payne the most touches..They know what Tolbert can do. Stewart's ankle sprain might be worse then they are letting on. With the bye all wrapped up for the playoffs for them,they have no reason to rush Stewart back. Tolbert is the better back,but Cameron hasn't had many touches this year,to show what he can do. I lose a RB every week it seems,and I won't get B Brown after losing Rawls b/c of waiver order. and D Robinson is on someone's team! There is squat on the waiver wire. But Tolbert and Artis Payne still are out there.

they will run all 3 making all 3 worthless. pick the guy who will get 3 carries for 3 yards and 3 tds.....

I think Tolbert's role will stay the same, and Whitaker & CAP will battle for Stewart's totes. My estimation is that Riverboat Ron will not want to gamble on CAP, a rookie with no experience against a weak run d where not screwing up is probably well enough for them.

So I think Fozzy has the first crack at lead duties with CAP as backup, at least initially.

If Stewart sits, I would just stay clear. You really don't know how it will shake out, but I can guarantee none of them will get even close to the amount of carries Stewart gets.

If you're really desperate, I would go with Fozzy, he's going to at least catch a few passes to help in PPR leagues.

If Stewart sits, I would just stay clear. You really don't know how it will shake out, but I can guarantee none of them will get even close to the amount of carries Stewart gets.

If you're really desperate, I would go with Fozzy, he's going to at least catch a few passes to help in PPR leagues.
This is just lazy analysis.. Of course we do not know how it will shake out, hence the thread. And with all of the injuries at RB around the league any warm body getting touches at RB should be accounted for. Barring strange gameflow, I'd expect the Panthers to run the ball just as much without Stewart. We're here trying to figure out how much of that pie goes to whom..

I'll say Fozzy gets 15-20, CAP gets 5-10 and Tolbert gets 5

Last edited by a moderator:

This is just lazy analysis.. Of course we do not know how it will shake out, hence the thread. And with all of the injuries at RB around the league any warm body getting touches at RB should be accounted for. Barring strange gameflow, I'd expect the Panthers to run the ball just as much without Stewart. We're here trying to figure out how much of that pie goes to whom..

so you think the panthers are going to run the ball MORE without stewart? That's 30 non cam rushes per game, and they're averaging 25/game this season. You may be right that it may not drop much, but I don't at all see them rushing the ball 5 more times per game. Can't see anyone getting more then 15 touches and being fantasy relevant.

Who gets the red zone/goal line carries? Fozzy got 3 RZ carries last week (same as Stewart). i would have thought Tolbert but he had 0 last week.

I didn't see the game but I think they play conservative with Cam and use a RB at the goal line.

Ive been saying this all week: Whoever gets the majority of the touches in seattle and carolina this week is going to put up RB1 numbers (touchdowns may not be there w/ tolbert/cam/wilson vulturing) The match ups are too good and the position is too damn beat up to just 'stay clear'

I started with a sick rb corps- Ive lost Charles, Lewis, Foster, now Ingram & Rawls.... so I can't "stay clear"

If stewart sits, I think Fozzy could have a really nice game. Cant imagine CAP getting 20 touches after 8 weeks off?

Ive been saying this all week: Whoever gets the majority of the touches in seattle and carolina this week is going to put up RB1 numbers (touchdowns may not be there w/ tolbert/cam/wilson vulturing) The match ups are too good and the position is too damn beat up to just 'stay clear'

I started with a sick rb corps- Ive lost Charles, Lewis, Foster, now Ingram & Rawls.... so I can't "stay clear"

If stewart sits, I think Fozzy could have a really nice game. Cant imagine CAP getting 20 touches after 8 weeks off?
CAP won't get 20. Neither will Fozzy though. Fozzy could lead the backfield with 12-15 carries. Even at the high end of that, and at 5 YPC, 75 rushing yards isn't RB1 numbers and I think that's his ceiling this week.

CAP won't get 20. Neither will Fozzy though. Fozzy could lead the backfield with 12-15 carries. Even at the high end of that, and at 5 YPC, 75 rushing yards isn't RB1 numbers and I think that's his ceiling this week.
Its certainly not his ceiling. He has speed and could easily break a 30-50 yard carry, just like Miller did twice last night. Also, he should be good for 4-6 catches if stew is out I would imagine. I could easily see 16 carries, 5 grabs, 110 total yards and a 40% shot at a TD... easily

Well this morning I had a choice to pick up Paine or Whitaker and I chose Paine. Another playoff team picked up Whitaker. I chose Paine BC I've read that Rivera is anxious to see what he's got in the rook. We shall see.

Its certainly not his ceiling. He has speed and could easily break a 30-50 yard carry, just like Miller did twice last night. Also, he should be good for 4-6 catches if stew is out I would imagine. I could easily see 16 carries, 5 grabs, 110 total yards and a 40% shot at a TD... easily
no.

so you think the panthers are going to run the ball MORE without stewart? That's 30 non cam rushes per game, and they're averaging 25/game this season. You may be right that it may not drop much, but I don't at all see them rushing the ball 5 more times per game. Can't see anyone getting more then 15 touches and being fantasy relevant.
I think there will be 20-25 rushes to go around.. Perhaps I should of said 0-10 and 0-5 for CAP/Tolbert, but didn't feel that would have as much value, the carries are very fluid. Realistically I see Fozzy getting around 15 and the other two splitting the other 10, that could could easily go either way

pantherclub said:
tone1oc said:
[Rivera] Says Fozzie Whittaker likely will start, Cameron Artis-Payne will get game action.
https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/677202646277603328
not sure what to make of that, probably best to avoid at all costs
It's best to avoid a player for free who will be the starting RB for a really good team that likes the run the ball against a bad defense?

And you draw that conclusion based on the blurb that he will likely start. :doh:

FWIW, Ron Rivera is a breath of fresh air as far as NFL coaches and the way they treat rosters as a state secret. RR is typically very upfront with injuries and playing time.

If you are looking for the volume guy in Carolina, do not overthink it, it will be Fozzy, just as it was last week after Stewart went down.

FWIW, Ron Rivera is a breath of fresh air as far as NFL coaches and the way they treat rosters as a state secret. RR is typically very upfront with injuries and playing time.

If you are looking for the volume guy in Carolina, do not overthink it, it will be Fozzy, just as it was last week after Stewart went down.
I think this is largely true. He seems like a straight shooter and doesn't play media games with his comments.

Couple ancillary points about RR: he was the DC on the 2009 Chargers team that rested everybody down the stretch, then lost to the Jets in the divisional playoffs. He wants the Panthers to to play hard through the end of the regular season. There's no benefit to taking your foot off the pedal. The other thing that he has talked about is, while 13-0 is nice, the '85 Bears team going 15-1 didn't detract people from calling it one of the most dominating runs of the Super Bowl era. I think he has a healthy balance about what they are trying to accomplish. Securing home field is important, vitally important. But the ring is the thing.

I think this is largely true. He seems like a straight shooter and doesn't play media games with his comments.

Couple ancillary points about RR: he was the DC on the 2009 Chargers team that rested everybody down the stretch, then lost to the Jets in the divisional playoffs. He wants the Panthers to to play hard through the end of the regular season. There's no benefit to taking your foot off the pedal. The other thing that he has talked about is, while 13-0 is nice, the '85 Bears team going 15-1 didn't detract people from calling it one of the most dominating runs of the Super Bowl era. I think he has a healthy balance about what they are trying to accomplish. Securing home field is important, vitally important. But the ring is the thing.
I think this is good info for those owners worried about Cam/Olsen/etc, not really relevant to this thread though ;)

pantherclub said:
tone1oc said:
[Rivera] Says Fozzie Whittaker likely will start, Cameron Artis-Payne will get game action.
https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/677202646277603328
not sure what to make of that, probably best to avoid at all costs
It's best to avoid a player for free who will be the starting RB for a really good team that likes the run the ball against a bad defense?

And you draw that conclusion based on the blurb that he will likely start. :doh:
Red zone/goal line threats = Cam, Tolbert, Olsen

Sprinkle in that RR just said he wants to get CAP some work in, so I dont see Fozzy as a solid RB2 starter. Like I said I would stay away. If Fozzy is your absolute last resort then good luck and God Bless because I dont see him doing too much.

Fozzy seems to be more the situational 3rd down type back and CAP is the poor mans Stewart clone. I could easily see CAP having more yards rushing but Fozzy having more fantasy points in PPR on catches.

Messed up situation (fantasy wise) and again I would avoid it until I didnt have any other options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pittsburgh has always been very up front. Almost to a fault

If, however, there is a true unknown, they don't dive into it any deeper. They just leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread