What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Carpet (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
I tried to search for old threads everyone it showed was over 8 years old. We moved in the house two years after it was built. So this is our first time dealing with this. Did you go with the box stores or local installers? Do they move the furniture? Any advice will be appreciated.

Are you set on carpet? I find it to be more expensive than other surfaces with the lowest life span. I just ripped up carpet, put down hardwood and got area rugs.

To answer your question, I've gone with local installers and they did move furniture.

Are you set on carpet? I find it to be more expensive than other surfaces with the lowest life span. I just ripped up carpet, put down hardwood and got area rugs.

To answer your question, I've gone with local installers and they did move furniture.
We held off a long time because of our dog and did the kitchen and dining room in hardwoods. I don't think the wife will go away from carpet in the living room, bed room and spare rooms.

Never use big box install for anything. Whomever chimes in and says they had a great experience got very lucky. I'm s flooring guy. AMA.

we had a friend of a friend. Union guy who did side work on the weekends.

To answer your basic question - move as much crap as you can out of the way.

For the real big stuff. They will move it to one room carpet everything move it back and do the last room.

The more you can do yourself the better.

Be prepared to spend at least $50/sq foot. You won't intend to spend that much but the salesperson will try to make you feel like an idiot if you don't.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
avoiding injuries said:

We held off a long time because of our dog and did the kitchen and dining room in hardwoods. I don't think the wife will go away from carpet in the living room, bed room and spare rooms.
Another vote for the wood flooring. Did 2 floors in sequence over 2 years; we got 12 month no interest financing for each installation. We have cats, and now also have a dog, and the wood floors are great for dealing with pet messes. If you want to, get area rugs for specific parts of rooms.

Get 9lb pad. More important then the carpet.

I would buy carpet at HD or Lowes but I would NEVER use their subs.

Anywhere else it will be sub-ed out as well but not the scum of the earth that works for Home Depot.

Moving all the furniture yourself will save on the labor and you won't break or steal your own ####.

If you want to save more money rip out the old stuff and install the new pad, even a monkey can do that. Leave behind the tack strip. Watch a video on YouTube if you need to.

I lay my own carpet (grew up around the trade and I have all my step fathers tools, otherwise not possible).

Good luck. Oh, and make sure they don't put down metal transition strips at your door ways for "seams".

Users who are viewing this thread