What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could use impartial opinions here (1 Viewer)

AcerFC

Footballguy
Situation:

A team in the league has been in our friends/family league since 2010. He is in the semis and put a bid in for Denard Robinson for $20. He did not choose anyone to drop saying that he was waiting to see if he won him, and then he would drop someone.

We have never changed the waivers system and I explained that would put him one player over and the system does not allow that.

Problem- I (commish) picked him up on fcfs right at the time blind bid waivers ended.

Since I was involved, I took a quick poll of the non playoff teams. All voted that its week 15 and not his first year. They said I keep him and not one person said different.

Secondary issue- guy in league is pissed and says that no where on the site does it say he has to drop a player during blind bidding. Again, this is the way its been set up for over 10 years.

I feel guilty since I am the guy who picked him up (0 blind bid dollars left)

Should I feel bad?

Are the guys in my league right?

Just trying to remove any bias from the situation.

No you should not feel bad, common sense rule in effect here. You cant go over roster limit. Sucks for that guy, but he failed at common sense.

Which site do you use to host? All sites I have ever been on would either not allow the transaction to go through when bidding or gives an "invalid roster: must drop player" warning.

In either case, that would be his warning. You keep the player.

You shouldn't feel bad at all. Link him to this thread and we'll point out how dumb he was for trying to go over the roster limit. Anyone who has played FF for more than 10 minutes knows that you have to drop someone when putting in a blind bid for a player Duh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely in the course of 5 seasons he would have encountered this? Does this guy never make waiver moves for seasons at a time?

Site doesn't need a rule spelling out "you cannot pick up more players than the roster limit." That's what the "roster limit" is, and I'm quite confident that that IS specified in your rules somewhere.

Waited to see if he would get him then he would drop someone? That makes zero sense. Putting in the waiver request the proper way would've accomplished that.

Easy answer: he's yours.

He put in an invalid waiver claim. No you shouldn't feel bad. He should direct his anger at himself for putting in an invalid waiver claim. To me, you being commish shouldn't even come into play.

It's a friends / family league. Let the guy have him, and let him know there will be no leniency next time.

You guys are ruthless

What kind of buy in we talking, $20?

Which site do you use to host? All sites I have ever been on would either not allow the transaction to go through when bidding or gives an "invalid roster: must drop player" warning.

In either case, that would be his warning. You keep the player.
This.He sounds like a #######. Don't feel bad.

We have never changed the waivers system and I explained that would put him one player over and the system does not allow that.

Again, this is the way its been set up for over 10 years.
System does not allow the move.

Been that way since day 1.

Guy has been in the league 6 years.

Crazy - he's out of his mind.

One Q - he's in the semis. What are you playing for? Same?

A few questions ill answer

We us MFL. If you put in a blind bid without dropping a player, it lets it through. No warning. We have never had an issue before with this

Our entry fee is $235 and winner usually takes home around 1200.

I am in the semis as well on the other side of the bracket

He is not a bad guy. Good owner in baseball and football. He does not make a ton of moves. I was trying to figure out if I was being a doosh and from the input from league members and members here, it sounds like the responsibility was on him. Thanks for confirming.

We us MFL. If you put in a blind bid without dropping a player, it lets it through. No warning. We have never had an issue before with this

He is not a bad guy. Good owner in baseball and football. He does not make a ton of moves. I was trying to figure out if I was being a doosh and from the input from league members and members here, it sounds like the responsibility was on him. Thanks for confirming.
I'm on mfl too and it most certainly does not allow that unless the roster size or other setting was screwed up

I'm on mfl too and it most certainly does not allow that unless the roster size or other setting was screwed up
Let me clarify,

Tuesday night, you put in Add D Robinson for $20, drop no one

It will let it add it to your waiver que since it doesnt take into account number of players. I have done this but dropped a player before waivers ran

However, when waivers run, it will not process

It will say Add Robinson, Denard JAC RB for $20.00 and drop None (Error - Transaction Would Create An Invalid Roster For XXXX

19 Players On Roster Exceeds League Limit of 18

Let me clarify,

Tuesday night, you put in Add D Robinson for $20, drop no one

It will let it add it to your waiver que since it doesnt take into account number of players. I have done this but dropped a player before waivers ran

However, when waivers run, it will not process

It will say Add Robinson, Denard JAC RB for $20.00 and drop None (Error - Transaction Would Create An Invalid Roster For XXXX

19 Players On Roster Exceeds League Limit of 18
Even still (i) it's his error for not observing roster limits, and (ii) you clearly warned him before hand. He has no grounds to complain about things now.

Even still (i) it's his error for not observing roster limits, and (ii) you clearly warned him before hand. He has no grounds to complain about things now.
I never warned him. We have just been playing the same way forever. You add someone, you drop someone unless it is a trade. In that case, you need to drop someone after the trade is processed

Situation:

A team in the league has been in our friends/family league since 2010. He is in the semis and put a bid in for Denard Robinson for $20. He did not choose anyone to drop saying that he was waiting to see if he won him, and then he would drop someone.

Problem- I (commish) picked him up on fcfs right at the time blind bid waivers ended.

Since I was involved, I took a quick poll of the non playoff teams. All voted that its week 15 and not his first year. They said I keep him and not one person said different.

Secondary issue- guy in league is pissed and says that no where on the site does it say he has to drop a player during blind bidding. Again, this is the way its been set up for over 10 years.

Should I feel bad?

Are the guys in my league right?

Just trying to remove any bias from the situation.
He made a mistake. he has to live with it. His " waiting to see if he won him" excuse is dumb, since the drop part in a waiver claim is conditional on winning that player anyway.

I never warned him. We have just been playing the same way forever. You add someone, you drop someone unless it is a trade. In that case, you need to drop someone after the trade is processed
My mistake. It's still his bad, though. You didn't do anything below board to claim the player, and he simply failed to execute the waiver process as the league setting require. Tough luck.

Worst rule ever is the one that goes like this " that's just the way it's always been". Is it in the rules? Why on earth can a trade make a team roster go above the legal limit but a WW can't? How is that fair in the least bit? Why in a trade do they " get to see if they win the trade" and then drop a player? In MFL you have a set roster limit you can not accept a trade if it puts the other trading partner or yourself above the legal roster limit, same way for the WW. Why does your league allow it for one and not the other? If I was that guy I would be pissed as well, if it's not in the rules, it is not a rule.

That all being said, anyone playing in a league for a while should know you have to drop a player to add a player if you are at the roster limit. If your current rules don't specifically say that, you may want to correct that. Also take out that stupid rule that lets a team go over when trading, cause that's BS. The roster limit should be the roster limit, what if the guy offers a trade and it gets accepted but he doesn't log back on for 3 or 4 days, so he gets to carry extra guys for all that time and can see any team updates before deciding who he wants to drop?

Worst rule ever is the one that goes like this " that's just the way it's always been". Is it in the rules? Why on earth can a trade make a team roster go above the legal limit but a WW can't? How is that fair in the least bit? Why in a trade do they " get to see if they win the trade" and then drop a player? In MFL you have a set roster limit you can not accept a trade if it puts the other trading partner or yourself above the legal roster limit, same way for the WW. Why does your league allow it for one and not the other? If I was that guy I would be pissed as well, if it's not in the rules, it is not a rule.

That all being said, anyone playing in a league for a while should know you have to drop a player to add a player if you are at the roster limit. If your current rules don't specifically say that, you may want to correct that. Also take out that stupid rule that lets a team go over when trading, cause that's BS. The roster limit should be the roster limit, what if the guy offers a trade and it gets accepted but he doesn't log back on for 3 or 4 days, so he gets to carry extra guys for all that time and can see any team updates before deciding who he wants to drop?
They dont have days, they have to drop the player after the trade goes through, like I said.

Often you will have teams offer more than a 1 for 1. Not sure why you have to dictate parameters, If you get a player that puts you over, you drop them (that day)

Worst rule ever is the one that goes like this " that's just the way it's always been". Is it in the rules? Why on earth can a trade make a team roster go above the legal limit but a WW can't? How is that fair in the least bit? Why in a trade do they " get to see if they win the trade" and then drop a player? In MFL you have a set roster limit you can not accept a trade if it puts the other trading partner or yourself above the legal roster limit, same way for the WW. Why does your league allow it for one and not the other? If I was that guy I would be pissed as well, if it's not in the rules, it is not a rule.That all being said, anyone playing in a league for a while should know you have to drop a player to add a player if you are at the roster limit. If your current rules don't specifically say that, you may want to correct that. Also take out that stupid rule that lets a team go over when trading, cause that's BS. The roster limit should be the roster limit, what if the guy offers a trade and it gets accepted but he doesn't log back on for 3 or 4 days, so he gets to carry extra guys for all that time and can see any team updates before deciding who he wants to drop?
They dont have days, they have to drop the player after the trade goes through, like I said. Often you will have teams offer more than a 1 for 1. Not sure why you have to dictate parameters, If you get a player that puts you over, you drop them (that day)
Right. I am sure that has never happened where a player wasn't dropped immediately. If it's not in your rules, it is not a rule. But because you ended up with the guy, this is how it's always been. Rules of convenience are not real rules either.

So you didn't really want honest feedback, you just wanted people to say you are right?

Not trying to ruffle your feathers, but my honest feedback is if it's not an actual rule in your bylaws, the other guy should be awarded the player and you should make it clear you can't go over the roster limit for any reason.

Just playing the other side of the coin is all. I have been in a dynasty league for 11 years and we have had to add rules because of similar situations. Some rules just need to be exact, now if the rest of the league agrees with you, you don't need the forums feedback, your league mates should let you know.

Worst rule ever is the one that goes like this " that's just the way it's always been". Is it in the rules? Why on earth can a trade make a team roster go above the legal limit but a WW can't? How is that fair in the least bit? Why in a trade do they " get to see if they win the trade" and then drop a player? In MFL you have a set roster limit you can not accept a trade if it puts the other trading partner or yourself above the legal roster limit, same way for the WW. Why does your league allow it for one and not the other? If I was that guy I would be pissed as well, if it's not in the rules, it is not a rule.That all being said, anyone playing in a league for a while should know you have to drop a player to add a player if you are at the roster limit. If your current rules don't specifically say that, you may want to correct that. Also take out that stupid rule that lets a team go over when trading, cause that's BS. The roster limit should be the roster limit, what if the guy offers a trade and it gets accepted but he doesn't log back on for 3 or 4 days, so he gets to carry extra guys for all that time and can see any team updates before deciding who he wants to drop?
They dont have days, they have to drop the player after the trade goes through, like I said. Often you will have teams offer more than a 1 for 1. Not sure why you have to dictate parameters, If you get a player that puts you over, you drop them (that day)
Right. I am sure that has never happened where a player wasn't dropped immediately.If it's not in your rules, it is not a rule. But because you ended up with the guy, this is how it's always been. Rules of convenience are not real rules either.

So you didn't really want honest feedback, you just wanted people to say you are right?

Not trying to ruffle your feathers, but my honest feedback is if it's not an actual rule in your bylaws, the other guy should be awarded the player and you should make it clear you can't go over the roster limit for any reason.

Just playing the other side of the coin is all. I have been in a dynasty league for 11 years and we have had to add rules because of similar situations. Some rules just need to be exact, now if the government est of the league agrees with you, you don't need the forums feedback, your league mates should let you know.
I welcome any feedback. There have been more than enough times that I am wrong. I am just not sure how to set parameters on a trade when it is not 1-1. And as far as I know, drops come right away or lineups can not be altered. Could there have been a time it didnt, sure.

I have been commishing leagues in one form or another since 1989 when we started doing fantasy baseball in 6th grade. I have never seen anything like this incident before.

Lol, I just looked at our constitution and it says this. problem solved I guess. But the constitution is not on the site. I need to link it

By claiming a player off waivers this will force a team to waive a player

Right. I am sure that has never happened where a player wasn't dropped immediately.If it's not in your rules, it is not a rule. But because you ended up with the guy, this is how it's always been. Rules of convenience are not real rules either.

Just playing the other side of the coin is all. I have been in a dynasty league for 11 years and we have had to add rules because of similar situations. Some rules just need to be exact, now if the government est of the league agrees with you, you don't need the forums feedback, your league mates should let you know.
I welcome any feedback. There have been more than enough times that I am wrong. I am just not sure how to set parameters on a trade when it is not 1-1. And as far as I know, drops come right away or lineups can not be altered. Could there have been a time it didnt, sure.

I have been commishing leagues in one form or another since 1989 when we started doing fantasy baseball in 6th grade. I have never seen anything like this incident before.
MFL will make you drop the a player(s) before accepting a trade that would put you over the roster limit.

Simple question, can you add a Free Agent without dropping a player?

weird how it would let you make an illegal roster claim, thats a crap GUI.

2nd question, shouldnt the site have voided the claim and awarded it to the next claim? or did no one else bid on denard?

weird how it would let you make an illegal roster claim, thats a crap GUI.

2nd question, shouldnt the site have voided the claim and awarded it to the next claim? or did no one else bid on denard?
no ther bids. very few teams have blind bid money left and there are only 4 teams left

Does it list roster number limitations some where in the rules? That would cover the situation with out being overly specific. The transaction would of put him over the roster limit which is set in the rules. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Does it list roster number limitations some where in the rules? That would cover the situation with out being overly specific. The transaction would of put him over the roster limit which is set in the rules. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
Yes, I just looked and it says this on the site

ommissioner Email Address: Send Email To Commish Number of Franchises: 12 Number of Roster Spots: 18 Head-To-Head Matchups: Yes Each Player can be on: 1 rosters per League At the start of the season, rosters are determined by: On-line, live draft that happens all at once, taking a matter of hours to complete.

If this guy had ever tried to do that before he would have known it won't go through. And if he'd never tried that before, he sure picked a terrible time to do it. I think if I were him and were unsure, I would have put in two claims like this:

1 - Add shoelace

2 - Add shoelace, drop scrub

So if it goes through then 2 is cancelled. If it doesn't, then 2 goes through and everything is fine.

This guy picked a pretty bad time to try something novel. Even if your rules don't specifically state it, the website's help documentation probably says it works that way. Pretty sure I've seen that on another site, but never used MFL.

Lol, I just looked at our constitution and it says this. problem solved I guess. But the constitution is not on the site. I need to link it

That's actually a pretty vague rule. I think the guy has a point.

AcerFC said:

But it didn't force him to...

Anyway, its pretty clear that he legitimately bid the most which is the spirit of the process. You are winning on a weak technicality.

AcerFC said:

Anyway, its pretty clear that he legitimately bid the most which is the spirit of the process. You are winning on a weak technicality.
AcerFC said:

It isn't a weak technicality. His claim could not run because he didn't free up a roster spot. It is pretty simple.

To me it sounds like he was trying to buy some time to determine who he would rather drop based on what players might be needed on another team.

It isn't a weak technicality. His claim could not run because he didn't free up a roster spot. It is pretty simple.
The rule does not state that he must free up a roster space BEFORE his claim is completed.
The rule does not state that he must free up a roster space BEFORE his claim is completed.
But the practical process of waiver additions does require free space to be made. This wasn't a technical glitch. This is how waivers work. He is given more information about player availability and potential roster needs by being given the option to decide AFTER all waivers have run. This is an unfair competitive advantage that the waiver process eliminates.

Those that say the other guy should get the player are the same type of people that want "free" tuition and "safe spaces".

In the real world, the other guy made a dumb decision and should live with the consequences.

The ONLY way this would have any merit whatsoever if it was Week 2 of his first fantasy season; basically the first time he ever used the waiver system.

Otherwise, he's just dumb.

Why on earth would you need an explicit rule telling you that you can't go over the roster LIMIT?

For his story to hold water it would require him to believe that waivers are some form of escrow service.

I maintain, he simply wanted to buy time to resolve some questions he had. Perhaps he was not sure of Yeldon's injury, perhaps he didn't want a player he would have dropped to get picked up.

I have been put in a similar position in the past as the Commissioner. I recommend taking that part out of the equation: If this was another owner's claim at stake and not your own, a decision to award the free agent to the team who failed to designate a drop would be weak. The 2nd owner would be entitled to the free agent and would have a very legitimate complaint if he was not awarded the player. Just because you happen to be that 2nd owner should not change the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread