What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Watson, Moving Forward (1 Viewer)

boltsfan

Footballguy
Watson has had a good year for the Saints. Seeing that he is 35, how much longer do you think he can maintain his current status until NO looks to go younger/cheaper?

Can't help but think this was, by far, the best season fantasy wise of his career. Sell if you can. Such a weird outlier.

Can't help but think this was, by far, the best season fantasy wise of his career. Sell if you can. Such a weird outlier.
I don't think many are buying.. Maybe if you hold on to him and they don't add a legit TE you could, but I think owner's will have to hold until he's done.

MMQB's Peter King came away from Ravens' camp believing Ben Watson will catch 70 passes if he stays healthy this season.
King admits he only saw one practice, but it was obviously impressive. Watson earned a two-year, $8 million contract from the Ravens with a 74/825/6 showing for the Saints last year, but his path to targets is much more muddled in Baltimore, with Crockett Gillmore, Maxx Williams, and Dennis Pitta also vying for playing time. While someone could emerge, this is a situation to avoid right now in fantasy.

Source: MMQB 
Aug 8 - 9:13 AM

Essentially free and as such, the best fantasy TE being drafted as a backup (or not drafted at all) with top 5-8 upside available IMO.

I think Ben Watson has been overlooked and agree that he will sneak up on people and post consistent numbers to end up as a top-ten fantasy TE.  

Have to think he is a bargain in all formats right now.

MMQB's Peter King came away from Ravens' camp believing Ben Watson will catch 70 passes if he stays healthy this season.
King admits he only saw one practice, but it was obviously impressive. Watson earned a two-year, $8 million contract from the Ravens with a 74/825/6 showing for the Saints last year, but his path to targets is much more muddled in Baltimore, with Crockett Gillmore, Maxx Williams, and Dennis Pitta also vying for playing time. While someone could emerge, this is a situation to avoid right now in fantasy.

Follow-up tweet could explain heavy usage of TE Ben Watson.

Jamison HensleyVerified account@jamisonhensley

By the end of Monday's practice, Ravens were down to one tight end (Benjamin Watson) who wasn't injured or... http://es.pn/2aM13AK 

Did he pop positive?  Is he already in the program?

Ever since that INSANE tackle vs the Broncos, Watson has been someone I rooted for.  Glad to see he is getting some!
Just think it's goofy that a 35 y/o has his best season and now looks sparkling this preseason. I don't even think Tony G or Shannon Sharpe was getting that kind of love. That being said, Watson entered the league as a freak.

Absolutely. Missed on him in my last draft tonight but if you have a solid #1 he gives you solid insurance. Also a cheap TE in best ball. 

Patriots agreed to terms with TE Ben Watson, formerly of the Saints, on a one-year, $3 million contract.

Going on 39, Watson briefly retired following the Saints' gutting NFC Championship Game loss, but he will return to the franchise that made him a first-round pick all the way back in 2004. Watson spent the first six years of his career in New England, winning the Super Bowl as a rookie. He never caught more than 49 balls as a Pat, and even with Rob Gronkowski retired, Watson is unlikely to clear that number after posting a 35/400/2 line in 2018. Watson will be competing for looks with lead-footed Austin Seferian-Jenkins in Foxborough. He could emerge as a matchup-based play in fantasy.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 9, 2019, 2:52 PM ET

NFL suspended Patriots TE Ben Watson four games for violating the PED policy.

Watson shared the news of his four-game suspension on Facebook where he detailed how he took performance enhancers after "retiring" from the NFL at the end of the 2018 season. Before coming to terms with the Patriots, Watson learned of his suspension, but New England wasn't scared off. This doesn't affect Watson's chances of winning a Super Bowl, but it does give Matt LaCosse and Austin Seferian-Jenkins better odds of contributing.

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter

May 26, 2019, 5:58 PM ET

Profootballtalk reports the Patriots designed Ben Watson's contract so that he could earn back some of his salary lost to suspension via incentives.

Basically, the Pats lowered the playing-time thresholds for Watson's incentives. Watson can return in Week 5 vs. the Redskins. Watson's explanation that he began taking PEDs after deciding to retire does not square, but the Pats were not scared away by his ban. At best, Watson will offer occasional streaming value in fantasy.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

May 27, 2019, 3:21 PM ET

Picked up Ben. Cant be worse than the TE play I've gotten so far this year. 

Should be in like for 3 or 4 looks minimum a week. 

From what I can tell, Watson may not have been activated and probably did not practice yesterday. Not sure we can read much into that, but that seems like a weird outcome given the lack of depth at TE for NE. 

There were reports he was not present at practice and I have not seen any transactions to indicate he was put on the active roster. Weird. 

From what I can tell, Watson may not have been activated and probably did not practice yesterday. Not sure we can read much into that, but that seems like a weird outcome given the lack of depth at TE for NE. 

There were reports he was not present at practice and I have not seen any transactions to indicate he was put on the active roster. Weird. 
Don’t they play some horrible team like the Redskins?  Doesn’t really matter who is at TE for them this week.

Yeah they used the Ghost spot on some rookie WR scrub. A little surprising. Not sure what is going on considering they have literally the worst TE roster in the NFL.

Yeah they used the Ghost spot on some rookie WR scrub. A little surprising. Not sure what is going on considering they have literally the worst TE roster in the NFL.
They got a roster exemption to be able to carry another player temporarily. One would think that they would rather bring Watson up to speed and get him out there on game day, but BB is smarter than the rest of us . . .

LINK

With the state of the Patriots offensive line is anybody confident he wouldn't be a low target blocker?
Watson will be a low target blocker. I don't see how people could expect anything different.

They need help in run blocking and pass blocking. PFF has Izzo ranked 72nd out of 72 TE's in the league in run blocking.

Watson will probably see a sprinkling of targets, more than the other TE's have seen (only 5 total targets in 4 games). But don't expect Watson to be more than an occasional blip on the fantasy radar. He's a peripheral piece, not a main cog in the offense.

Reports out there that Watson not traveling to Washington with team and he is not expected to suit up this week. 

He was not activated by NE as of yet. They have until 4 pm this afternoon to do so if they want him to play. It has also been reported they have until 4 pm Monday to activate him or they will release him. 

Rumors and speculation that NE doesn’t have the cap space or great interest to activate Watson and they may elect to release him or he could retire again. 

As expected, NE has elected not to activate Watson, meaning he pockets his $600,000 signing bonus and becomes a free agent.

Patriots signed TE Ben Watson.

Watson's an upgrade in the passing game over in-line blockers Matt LaCosse and Ryan Izzo even at the ripe age of 38. The Patriots previously released Watson only seven days ago, but backup FB Jakob Johnson's trip to injured reserve vacated a spot for the vet to re-sign with the team. He made two catches on three targets this preseason.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 14, 2019, 12:56 PM ET

Are we seeing any value in this topsy turvy TE market with Watson? He does have the GOAT and he knows the system. Perhaps a token TD and 30-40 yards until they bring back Gronk lol.

Are we seeing any value in this topsy turvy TE market with Watson? He does have the GOAT and he knows the system. Perhaps a token TD and 30-40 yards until they bring back Gronk lol.
Watson played 80 games with NE the first time around. He had more than 40 receiving yards 19 times. Now he’s 38. Last year he only played about half the snaps. 

I would guess they will target Watson 3 maybe 4 times a game. Not sure what that lends itself to production wise. And IMO Gronk isn’t coming back this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread