What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Watson, Moving Forward (1 Viewer)

Ben Watson caught 3-of-5 targets for 18 yards in the Patriots' Week 7 win over the Jets.

Making his season debut after serving a suspension, getting cut, and then being re-signed, Watson had his first target clang off his face-mask and fall incomplete. All five of his targets came in the first half. Watson may score a touchdown here or there, but he's well off the fantasy radar for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet NE will be looking for a TE next since the Sanu signing. Heard Eifert mentioned. 

Bring Back Gronk! 

Watson will do his job and what is asked. They're lacking a difference maker TE at the moment.

I had to start Watson last night. He picked up a few points. Back to the FA.

I'm going to keep Watson.  He is a tight end who played 75% of snaps on a team where the quarterback is an expert at the short pass.  Watson has a huge opportunity.  He could blossom into a top 3 tight end.  Top 15 is his floor.

I'm going to keep Watson.  He is a tight end who played 75% of snaps on a team where the quarterback is an expert at the short pass.  Watson has a huge opportunity.  He could blossom into a top 3 tight end.  Top 15 is his floor.
That's honestly way too optimistic; almost delusional. There is no way a thirty-eight year old Ben Watson who already was waived once from the team is going to be TE3 or greater going forward. That's not even on this planet.

That's honestly way too optimistic; almost delusional. There is no way a thirty-eight year old Ben Watson who already was waived once from the team is going to be TE3 or greater going forward. That's not even on this planet.
Watson has always been a good receiver.  He doesn't have much competition for targets.  Tom Brady could start featuring him.  If he can get the snaps, he can get the stats.

Ben Watson has always been a good receiver.  He doesn't have much competition for targets.  Tom Brady could start featuring him.  If he can get the snaps, he can get the stats.
Allow me to respectfully somehow completely disagree with that assessment.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Gronk come back after NE's bye week 11 and have one more push for another Super Bowl ring. NE will be in the market for a TE either way. Watson knows the system and is serviceable. He'll do his job lol. I could see 1-2 TD's / 2-3 catches a game for 20 to 30 yards his way because NE likes to mix it up and not show their hand. Now Gronk more like 4-5 TD's in seven remaining games. NE would be firing on all cylinders barring the misfortune of injuries. Or they could trade for an Eifert or Howard type yet.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Gronk come back after NE's bye week 11 and have one more push for another Super Bowl ring. NE will be in the market for a TE either way. Watson knows the system and is serviceable. He'll do his job lol. I could see 1-2 TD's / 2-3 catches a game for 20 to 30 yards his way because NE likes to mix it up and not show their hand. Now Gronk more like 4-5 TD's in seven remaining games. NE would be firing on all cylinders barring the misfortune of injuries. Or they could trade for an Eifert or Howard type yet.
I was under the belief that Sanu's role will replace the TE as short/intermediate targets, making Watson irrelevant. 

Watson has always been a good receiver.  He doesn't have much competition for targets.  Tom Brady could start featuring him.  If he can get the snaps, he can get the stats.
Watson has now played 81 games in NE and had more than 40 receiving yards only 19 times. Even those weren’t exactly big yardage totals either. He’s only had 5 games with 80+ yards playing for the Pats.  IMO, he’s a small piece of the offense, and TE is not going to be a strength of the team this year. Receiving wise, it’s shaping up to be a heavy dose of Edelman and everyone else hoping they can get 5 targets. 

Watson has now played 81 games in NE and had more than 40 receiving yards only 19 times. 
He has had 40+ receiving yards 19 times in the last 4 years.  And now he could be now entering a perfect opportunity.  He is fantasy relevant as long as he continues to get 75% of snaps.  If Edelman gets injured, Watson could be the number one fantasy tight end.

Better chance they acquire someone. I don’t see Gronk coming back this year. He didn’t want to play on the contract he had, so unless they somehow sweeten the deal I don’t see an incentive for him to jump back in. Even if he did, NE has been operating with hardly any cap room. It would be a challenge to get Gronk back and stay under the cap. They may be able to save a few bucks with Gordon and could trade Bennett. But beyond that, they would have to start reworking or extending contracts for other players to free up cap space. Also, I believe Gronk would have to be back on the active roster by 12/1 to be able to play in the post season. I am not familiar with that rule, but I remember reading that somewhere. If you’ve seen him lately, he looks like he skimmed down a ton. More like WR weight than TE weight. 

Interpreting from the ESPN Clip
That clip said nothing about Sanu replacing a tight end or Sanu doing short/intermediate routes.  Most of the 3:27 was some guy who went to the Michael Irvin School of Using a Lot of Words to Say Little.  Belichick likes using a tight end for the run game and pass protection.  The Patriots offensive line has had issues this year so having a tight end is more important than in previous years.

That clip said nothing about Sanu replacing a tight end or Sanu doing short/intermediate routes.  Most of the 3:27 was some guy who went to the Michael Irvin School of Using a Lot of Words to Say Little.  Belichick likes using a tight end for the run game and pass protection.  The Patriots offensive line has had issues this year so having a tight end is more important than in previous years.
Michael Irvin School of Using a Lot of Words to Say Little = ROFLMAO!  

Sorry if I was not clear, but from that clip and several other sources, it has to do with interpreting how he could/should/would be utilized to the short/intermediate & RZ targets to maximize how the Offense could function.  It is not a single piece of evidence, but when you read multiple sources and look at the team needs, it fits the puzzle.  It fits his strength.  And him being versatile fits NEP applications to player value.  Heck, I even expect him to make a few Passes! 

I am not saying it was declared to be fact, but it is how I can see it.  And from earlier posts, I see it increasing his targets 2-3 vs ATL but not significant yardage, but RZ opportunities will be there.  

He has had 40+ receiving yards 19 times in the last 4 years.  And now he could be now entering a perfect opportunity.  He is fantasy relevant as long as he continues to get 75% of snaps.  If Edelman gets injured, Watson could be the number one fantasy tight end.
SayWhaaaaaat?

If you mean “for New England,” you may have a case.  If not, zero/zip/nada/zilch chance that Ben Watson is the number one fantasy TE.  

Patriots TE Ben Watson announced his retirement following the team's Wild Card loss to the Titans.

Watson retires after spending 15 years with the Patriots, Saints, Browns and Ravens. While Watson never had more than six touchdowns or 825 yards in a single season, he maintained three-down ability and freakish athleticism into his late 30s. Watson provided the Patriots with arguably the single-greatest hustle play the league has ever seen when he raced 100 yards across the field to force a fumble on Champ Bailey just before the goal line in the 2006 playoffs.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 5, 2020, 12:56 PM ET

Watson provided the Patriots with arguably the single-greatest hustle play the league has ever seen when he raced 100 yards across the field to force a fumble on Champ Bailey just before the goal line in the 2006 playoffs.
I'll always remember that play. Seemed like he came out of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread