What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Making A Murderer (Netflix) (Spoilers) (1 Viewer)

kathleentzellner.com

Zellner today posted on her site a motion and supporting affidavit of a witness who saw Bobby Dassey and another man planting Teresa Halbach's car on Avery's property. Witness reported this to police at the time of the investigation but it was ignored.

If Dassey is guilty of the murder, a lot of pieces come together because Dassey was the star witness against Avery.

Last edited by a moderator:
kathleentzellner.com

Zellner today posted on her site a motion and supporting affidavit of a witness who saw Bobby Dassey and another man planting Teresa Halbach's car on Avery's property. Witness reported this to police at the time of the investigation but it was ignored.

If Dassey is guilty of the murder, a lot of pieces come together because Dassey was the star witness against Avery.
Hmmm. I'd guess the only way they can prove that would be to have the testimonial of the female officer that allegedly took the call from the new witness.  Sans that, I can't see that having much pull. But if they could prove it.... :tinfoilhat:  

This development and the request for a new trial may help influence the appeal. A decision should be coming out very soon on the appeal. Though this development is not included in the appeal it may create more doubt about the original conviction.

Zellner's appeal is taking a long time to be decided. Wisconsin lower court caused delay by shirking responsibilities regarding a previous remand by Appellate Court due to Zellner's efforts. Covid hasn't helped either.

kathleentzellner.com

He also says he reported it to Steven’s lawyers after watching season 1 of Making a Murderer. It debuted more than five years ago. Wonder why Buting and Strang ignored it for 5 years? 

He also says he reported it to Steven’s lawyers after watching season 1 of Making a Murderer. It debuted more than five years ago. Wonder why Buting and Strang ignored it for 5 years? 

Was it reported to Buting and Strang or the appellate lawyers after the trial conviction? I think Avery was convicted in season 1.If I remember the appellate lawyers were a college law school project for wrongful convictions.

Moonlight said:
Was it reported to Buting and Strang or the appellate lawyers after the trial conviction? I think Avery was convicted in season 1.If I remember the appellate lawyers were a college law school project for wrongful convictions.
I think Brendan had a group like that working on his behalf but I don’t remember that for Steven. He may have had a public defender for his appeal though. Regardless, it’s hard to imagine why anyone in Steven’s corner would sit on it, particularly after MaM and all the publicity it received.

https://www.nbc26.com/news/local-news/court-nixes-new-trial-for-making-a-murderer-subject-avery

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — The Wisconsin Court of Appeal has rejected a request by "Making a Murderer" subject Steven Avery for a new trial.

Avery is serving a life sentence for the 2005 killing of photographer Teresa Halbach. The case was the focus of a popular Netflix series whose creators raised questions about the convictions of Avery and his nephew, Brendan Dassey.

Avery attorney Kathleen Zellner asked the court to consider claims ranging from insufficient scientific evidence to ineffective trial counsel.

But the appellate court on Wednesday denied her request. Avery's earlier appeals were also denied.

If I'm ever the subject of a true crime documentary, it will be because I murdered a journalist who reported on a court decision without linking to the decision.  

https://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinion/DisplayDocument.pdf?content=pdf&seqNo=399779

For what it's worth, this decision is probably "correct" in that it follows the prevailing law concerning procedural bars to collateral attacks of convictions.  As such, it demonstrates just how hard it is to get post-conviction relief.  

If I'm ever the subject of a true crime documentary, it will be because I murdered a journalist who reported on a court decision without linking to the decision.  

https://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinion/DisplayDocument.pdf?content=pdf&seqNo=399779

For what it's worth, this decision is probably "correct" in that it follows the prevailing law concerning procedural bars to collateral attacks of convictions.  As such, it demonstrates just how hard it is to get post-conviction relief.  

pretty small fraction of the population wants to read the actual decision. most of which would go over our heads anyways.

if i wanted to read/hear thousands of words that could be summed in up in a single sentence instead i'd just listen to my wife.

pretty small fraction of the population wants to read the actual decision. most of which would go over our heads anyways.

if i wanted to read/hear thousands of words that could be summed in up in a single sentence instead i'd just listen to my wife.
Unfortunately, sometimes complicated/complex court decisions are not accurately summed up in a single sentence by a jouranlist without a law degree despite the journalist's best good faith efforts. 

Sigh. I guess I'm gonna read this damn thing too. :lol: I'll post some nuggets when I get time. 

So is the intellectually disabled kid who clearly had nothing to do with the crime still in prison for life?
I had Chat GPT pulled up, so I asked it:

is Brendan from Making a Murderer still in prison?

Brendan Dassey, who was featured in the Netflix series "Making a Murderer," was sentenced to life in prison in 2007 for the murder of Teresa Halbach. In 2016, a federal judge overturned Dassey's conviction, ruling that his confession had been coerced. However, in 2017, an appeals court overturned the judge's ruling, and Dassey's conviction was reinstated. As of 2021 Dassey still in prison and his legal case is in process.

Users who are viewing this thread