What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Try to Figure Out the Week 17 Flex Game (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
I know a thread on this theme has been done in past years. This year could be a very tricky case as a lot of teams have already been eliminated and there might not be that true "win and you're in, lose and you're out scenario" the NFL loves. But perhaps there's an obvious choice I'm missing in here.

Definite throw away games:

Bucs-Panthers

Lions-Bears

Rams-49ers

Patriots-Dolphins

Cardinals-Seahawks

Well not as many as I would have thought.

Anyway I'll take a look, but let's kick off the thread now :)

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
NFC West

Doesn't matter per above

NFC South

(per above Carolina-Tampa Bay is already out)

Realistically Falcons-Saints isn't going to be that game, since the Falcons are too dependent on other results.

NFC East

If Washington beats Philadelphia the division is over. And neither NFC tilt will be picked.

If Washington loses, Washington-Dallas can't be known to be a win and your in game - it would depend on the Eagles result.

If the Eagles win against Washington, and the Giants win in Minnesota, then I think Eagles-Giants will definitely be the game - since Philly will be in a win and your in scenario at the least and if Dallas upset Washington it'll be a de facto playoff game.

NFC North

If the GB/Min game is for the NFC North Title - then the winner of the NFC North will be the #3 seed and the loser will still be a playoff team. That is not very compelling. Green Bay does have a chance at the #2 seed - but they need Arizona to lose to Seattle for that to be possible. Since that won't be know I'm very dubious that GB/Min will be picked in any event.

So in summary. The only viable NFC game for the flex in week 17 is Philly-Giants. And that's only if Philly beats Washington in Week 16.

Next the AFC.

-QG

Let's break it down:

AFC East

Pats could still be playing for #1 seed, but worst case, they get the #2, so that game is out.

Jets could be in a win and in situation, and with Denver's loss today, they just need any of the Steelers/Chiefs/Broncos to lose next week. If they beat the Pats next week and one of those teams lose, given this Week 17 game is vs. Rex, my money would be on that one.

AFC North

If the Bengals win next week, they lock up the other bye and don't get the SNF flex. If they lose to the Broncos and the Broncos win Week 17, the Bengals don't get the bye regardless of whether they win or lose, so they don't get the SNF flex in that scenario either.

Steelers are another likely one here - they do great TV ratings relative to the other teams. If there are no scenarios where they can lose and still make it, I think they have a good shot.

AFC South

The Titans and Jaguars are bad, and there's no guarantee Mariota would play (giving them the Mariota/Luck matchup the network might like), so I doubt the flex game comes from here (and I definitely HOPE it doesn't)

AFC West

If Denver beats Cincy, then the only way the Broncos don't make the playoffs is if they lose Week 17 AND Pitt, KC, and the Jets all win both of their last two games. I doubt NBC wants to gamble on all three of them losing Week 17.

The Chiefs are in a similar boat, and again they need lots to go wrong in order to need to win Week 17 to make the playoffs.

So, from the AFC side, my game rankings based on a combination of likely outcomes and fan appeal are:

Steelers

Jets

Chiefs

Broncos

On the NFC side:

NFC East

I think Washington clinches the division with a win next week against Philly. If Philly wins, then Philly owns their own destiny. If the Giants win in Week 16, then the Eagle/Giant game has definite playoff implications. The Eagles would be in with a win, and either the Redskins (if they win Week 17) or Giants (if Skins lose Week 17) would be in if the Giants win.

Doubtful they'd show the Washington game given how bad Dallas has looked of late.

NFC North

Pack/Vikes is an obvious choice, if Fox can't protect it.

NFC South

Panthers going for undefeated is an option, if there are no other options.

Falcons will need help (if they haven't already been defeated), so that game is out.

NFC West

Cards locked up the division, Seahawks locked up a spot - probably no game here.

NFC summary

Pack/Vikings (if can't be protected)

Eagles/Giants

Panthers/Bucs

Overall rankings

Steelers

Pack/Vikings (if can't be protected)

Jets

Eagles/Giants

Chiefs

Broncos

Panthers

If the Panthers are 15-0, will the NFL pass on a potential 16-0 game for an elimination game?

AFC East

Patriots game is out as noted before.

Bills-Jets could be the game. But there's a pretty big IF attached to it.

The Jets need to beat the Patriots in week 16 and have either the Ravens upset the Steelers, the Browns upset the Chiefs OR the Bengals beat the Broncos.

All of this is tough. A loss to the Patriots and I believe they can still make it - but it would require another team to lose in week 17.

So if the week 16 results break the needed way - it'd definitely be Jets-Bills. But it's a long shot.

AFC North

The Bengals have clinched a playoff spot. If they beat the Broncos week 16 they will clinch a bye. If they lose to the Broncos they only have a shot at the bye if the Chargers upset the Broncos which can't be known. In short, Bengals-Ravens won't be the flex game.

The Steelers - They are in with a win and a Jets loss. If that happens, they could still win the division but it would depend on the week 17 Bengals result. And if they win this week and the Jets win, I think can still get in with a Jets loss. So I don't their Cleveland game will be the choice.

AFC West

If the Broncos beat the Bengals, they are in the playoffs and have an easy matchup with San Diego for a shot at the bye (which they could clinch even without winning in week 17). So if they win there is nothing compelling. If they lose, it looks like they can't clinch a playoff spot in week 16. Depending on other results week 17 may or may not be a win and in game for them.

The Chiefs are in with a win a loss by EITHER the Jets or the Steelers. If the Broncos lose, they will have their own fate in their hands for the division, but is that enough of a big deal? Not sure.

AFC South

Houston clinches with a win and an Indianapolis loss. It's possible that their game with Jags could be for a playoff spot - but that requires the Titans actually beat Houston this week (and a Jacksonville win this week as well). That seems dubious.

In short - it's not very clear well the NFL will go. It's possible that every single playoff spot will be clinched. If that is the case they'll probably go Packers-Vikings if that's for the division. But they very well could be out of luck.

-QG

If everything is clinched week 16 and Panthers win, we are obviously going to watch Carolina play.

Pretty clear tiebreaker lineage in the AFC:

KC>Pit>Jets>Den in any of their ties. This makes it very hard for the Pittsburgh-Cleveland game to be win and in for the Steelers. Not sure the NFL would want to showcase Johnny Football losing by 40.

-QG

Ya, unlikely Pitt game matters. If the Redskins lose this week, I think it'll be Wash/Dallas. That's the one game where we KNOW it'll be win/in lose/out. Plus... Cowboys

If the Panthers are 15-0, will the NFL pass on a potential 16-0 game for an elimination game?
Yes. They will always go for an elimination game.

-QG
I'd be surprised if a 15-0 Panthers team was left off in any situation. But if there isn't a true elimination game I'd expect the Panthers to be in for sure. This is assuming they win this week.
I would do the Panther game, with a picture in picture of Don Shula & the guys sitting around watching while surrounded with buckets of champagne.

Ya, unlikely Pitt game matters. If the Redskins lose this week, I think it'll be Wash/Dallas. That's the one game where we KNOW it'll be win/in lose/out. Plus... Cowboys
:no: If Philly beats Washington, Washington will no longer control their own fate.

-QG

Worth pointing out that last year the NFL passed up an opportunity for an elimination game between Atlanta-Carolina to show Pitt-Cinci, even though both teams were in the playoffs already (although it was for the AFC North).

Cowboys have had 4 prime-time games, plus the Saturday night NFLN game (and Thanksgiving, not sure if that counts). So I think they may have hit their limit?

One factor may be conference balance - I believe more Fox games have been flexed than CBS. You know they are dying for Rex vs Jets

-QG

GB/Min is the obvious choice. Unless the Packers win next week and the Vikings lose, their game will be for the division title.

A brief history of the Week 17 flex game is helpful in figuring out what match-ups are likely: It was instituted in 2010, in large part because of what happened in 2009. The Jets needed to beat the Bengals to get the final AFC spot, but the Bengals were locked into the 3 seed. So they rested their starters and put in a vanilla game plan, in large part because they knew there was a good chance they'd be facing the Jets the following week. (They did, and they lost anyway).

The league hated having one team roll over in its final regular-season primetime game, so they instituted new rules. All Week 17 games would be divisional match-ups, and the league would decide which game to flex into Sunday night, with CBS and Fox having no right to reserve any games. The main criterion for that game would be one in which both teams have something to play for, regardless of any other results from earlier in the day.

In 2010, the Sunday night game was Seattle-St. Louis, even though the match-up was less than ideal. In 2011-13, it was an NFC East match-up featuring the Cowboys: vs NYG in 2011, Washington in 2012, and Philly in 2013. (In 2013, GB-Chicago was also an elimination game). As mentioned, last year Carolina-Atlanta was an elimination game, but the league went with Pitt-Cinci instead, partly because it was a more attractive match-up and partly because they had stolen an NFC game from Fox for four straight years and figured they should balance it out with one from CBS.

Given all of that, what Week 17 games are likely to meet that scenario? First of all, you can rule out any game involving an already-eliminated team like Buffalo or Dallas, no matter how big of a draw they might be. The NFL really doesn't want teams phoning it in in primetime. However, for the first time since they implemented the rules, it is exceedingly unlikely that there will be any pure elimination games, where the winner makes the playoffs and the loser is out. The only scenario would be if the Texans and Colts lose next week and the Jags win; then the Week 17 Texans-Jags game would be win or go home (and the NFL would be super bummed. Not only would it be two low-profile franchises with sub-.500 records, but the Texans are likely to be rolling out Brandon Weeden at QB).

So what else? The two divisions where there could be a close race (AFC North/West), the two competitive teams don't play each other Week 17. Seahawks-Cardinals is a great match-up, but both teams are likely to not only have clinched playoff spots, but to be locked into their playoff positions. And I can't see either NFC East match-up making it. If Washington wins next week, they clinch. If they lose, then you have interdependent results between WAS-DAL and NYG-PHI, which is exactly what the NFL wants to avoid (although I think you might see both games flexed to 4 p.m.)

So that leaves two possibilities: In any Week 16 scenario other than Packers win, Vikes lose, their Week 17 match-up will be for the division, though both teams will have already made the playoffs. Alternatively, they could show Panthers going for 16-0 vs. TB (and you better believe both teams would be strongly encouraged to go all out in that case).

The nightmare scenario for the NFL: Texans/Washington/GB all clinch next week, Panthers lose shot at 16-0. No idea what they'd do in that case.

Bucs Panthers moves to 4:00 or ARI sits everyone in a meaningless game. Or has CAR already locked it up?

No, but I don't see any way that it's not GB/Minnesota. That is guaranteed to be for the division title, regardless of tonight's result. No other game is guaranteed to have a similar type of playoff implications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buffalo/Jets..Rex tries to stick it to the Jets in prime time.
No way they'd put an already-eliminated team in that slot. Also, if Pittsburgh loses, don't the Jets clinch? The other main criterion for the SNF game is that its importance can't be dependent on any other game.

Agree that it's gotta be GB-Minn. Interestingly, this will be the first time in the six years the system has been in place that there is no pure elimination game (although last year they had one and didn't flex it to Sunday night).

Slightly surprised they let these guys play after Seattle. If Sea wins at 4, winner plays SEA and loser gets Redskins. Not a lot of incentive there.

For revenue I guess, but Vegas is going to favor either team @Wash more than a home game vs Seattle. For probability of advancing, the 5 seed is better.

For revenue I guess, but Vegas is going to favor either team @Wash more than a home game vs Seattle. For probability of advancing, the 5 seed is better.
Washington is 6-2 at home this year, that's only behind Carolina and Arizona.

Both GB and Minny are outdoor teams and should have a decided advantage in the cold at home.

This isn't as much of a slam dunk as people are making it out to be.

Nothing is a slam dunk, but I'd rather be -3 @Wash than +3 hosting Seattle. Either can lose in either spot though for sure.

Slightly surprised they let these guys play after Seattle. If Sea wins at 4, winner plays SEA and loser gets Redskins. Not a lot of incentive there.
Think you mean if Seattle loses. If they win, they can still get tiebreaker over Minnesota (but not GB, since they lost to them).

Users who are viewing this thread