What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Do You Own Your Movies These Days? Discs vs. Online Libraries (1 Viewer)

ClownCausedChaos2

Footballguy
I just bought a Blu-Ray yesterday. I own a few movies on Flixster/Google Play. I'm sort of in that in-between stage and was just thinking about it yesterday. For some reason that I really can't explain, I can't give up that tangible disc.

How do you own your movies now? Google Play? Flixster? Amazon? Can you help me make the change to an online library?

Owning Blu-Rays seem like a huge waste of money now that things like online rentals/netflix/amazon prime exist.

Interesting. So you guys don't own movies anymore. Do you rent through your cable service, Google Play, Amazon Prime....those sorts of things?

converted all my discs to digital files (mkv) and have them on hard drive.

Frankly I rarely find myself wanting to watch my collection anymore anyway.

I enjoyed collecting movies in my low to mid 20's. Now I sure wish I could have that several hundred dollars back. I didn't forecast the on demand libraries, digital rental services, and torrents 15 years ago.

Buying those DVD's has cost me probably a week's worth of retirement in investable dollars.... not to mention a 6 disc DVD player I haven't turned on in over 2 years.

I still buy BluRay but also redeem the digital copy. BD still has a clearly superior picture and sound.

There are quite a few movies I have, and plan to get, as part of Vudu's disc-to-digital program. It's awesome checking out an older movie from the library and ending up with an HD copy for $2.50 shortly thereafter. Yes, that's cheating the process a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the above. Everything I've looked for on Xfinity has been there. Max price is $6.99 if it's 3D. I don't know what the screen resolution is, not as good as bluray obviously, but good enough. Hell, the wife was feeling nostalgic and wanted to watch Sleepless in Seattle a while back. Took me like 1 minute to find it, rent it, and satisfy the wife. That's about average for me.

All of the above. Everything I've looked for on Xfinity has been there. Max price is $6.99 if it's 3D. I don't know what the screen resolution is, not as good as bluray obviously, but good enough. Hell, the wife was feeling nostalgic and wanted to watch Sleepless in Seattle a while back. Took me like 1 minute to find it, rent it, and satisfy the wife. That's about average for me.
1 minute to satisfy your wife is average for you?

So it sounds like I'm behind the curve here. The days of owning movies are basically over. Might be time to change my way of thinking.

I have a few DVD's and Blurays, maybe 10-15. Haven't bought any in years and don't own any others.

I noticed that if a movie I like and own on DVD comes on one of the commercial free movie channels, I'll most likely watch it but I will rarely put in the DVD and watch it.

Odd.

Only physical discs that we bother with anymore are for this time of year: holiday specials/movies.

Should probably just slap them on a hard drive, but the PS4 plays them fine so I haven't bothered with it.

Vidya too, all games are downloaded (not to mention the majority of my gaming is on PC).

Does anyone still use Redbox? Aside from a minor inconvenience of having to return it, the movies are generally a few dollars cheaper to rent, yeah?

I actually wanted to put a small media server together for one of my grandfather-in-laws for this Christmas. My wife thought it would be too hard for him to use a remote and select one of the many westerns he would like to watch.

:shrug:

Does anyone still use Redbox? Aside from a minor inconvenience of having to return it, the movies are generally a few dollars cheaper to rent, yeah?
no, the price of my time + gas + wear/tear on the vehicle + risk of driving greatly exceeds the price difference. Redbox is stupid unless there is literally one within walking distance of your home that is in route to somewhere you are already going... and even then it's debatable.

If it's something I really want I get the blue-ray. Same for my kids movies bluer-ray and dvd). Easier for car trips.

I still think the Blue-rays sound way better than digital on my home entertainment system.

I probably would never buy digital via amazon, google, x1 in case I eve stop using them,* :shrug:

I'm assuming if you buy digital you have to use their stuff to play it?

I don't have anyhting in place to stream those easily any way, and/or ripping of dvd's

ETA: I have old movies that I used to rip. But I'm sure that is outdated technology now.

I'm very "old fashined: with my viewing and don'tplan to change unless forced too. I don't have extra HDD, media servers etc. I have my cable boxes and a firestick and PS4.

no, the price of my time + gas + wear/tear on the vehicle + risk of driving greatly exceeds the price difference. Redbox is stupid unless there is literally one within walking distance of your home that is in route to somewhere you are already going... and even then it's debatable.
Redbox is in our Supermarket.

If by "your wife", you mean me, then yes.

Redbox rules. They always have coupons and codes floating around. A bluray is like $2.00/day sans coupon, and the boxes are literally everywhere. Even if you're a day or two late, it's still better quality and cheaper than most on-demand movies.

You're like a NASCAR pit crew.

Redbox rules. They always have coupons and codes floating around. A bluray is like $2.00/day sans coupon, and the boxes are literally everywhere. Even if you're a day or two late, it's still better quality and cheaper than most on-demand movies.
Yes, this. Comcast on demand is expensive.

Yes, this. Comcast on demand is expensive.
i agree but we usually wait till movies hit the premium channels. We will rent a movie maybe once every couple of months

There's a redbox in front of the 7/11 around the block from my house. I've used it maybe once or twice. I usually have a movie at home from Netflix or something on the dvr to watch. On occasion, I'll add Netflix streaming for an additional option.

Be carful of digital copies unless you plan on downloading them .

Im a giant Amazon prime supporter and have purchased about 30 movies over the past three years through their service. The other day my stepfather was over and he had not seen the new Star Trek movies and I wanted to play the first one for him. Except I couldn't find it. I figured it was just a random error and put on a different movie. Then the other night we wanted to watch Jingle all the way and I could've sworn I purchased it last year. I begrudgingly purchase it thinking I must of been crazy and just as soon as I hit the confirm purchase button the screen pops up with the resume play or start from beginning options. I checked my records and I did purchase it last year and had to purchase it again. :sadbanana:

After further digging it appears that you need to download the movie because at any point the license agreement with the moviemakers expires with Amazon you also lose your movie and money.

I went from thinking I have this lifetime collection on Amazon prime to becoming aware that it's just worthless the CDs. I know you can download it But it's still a big pain in the butt

I've gotten nasty grams from my ISP from the handful of things I've torrented, so I'm looking for other ways to stream too. I don't mind paying for the four movies I'll watch in a year, just want it to work flawlessly and I've been burned by iTunes a couple of times on rentals. So far I've tried PS3 Playstation store and that worked well.

I still walk down to the local video store to rent Blu-Rays if the movie calls for it. There is an awesome pizza place that is attached to it so the rare time that we can sit down for a movie, we'll walk the dog down to get the movie and grab a pizza.

You're like a NASCAR pit crew.
In more ways than one my friend.

As of about a year ago, I probably had 125-150 DVDs, with maybe 20 of those being BR. A good number of season sets that I bought back before streaming was a thing (The Wire, Seinfeld, Oz, The Shield, etc). We were moving and as I'm filling the second extra large Home Depot moving box with all these cases, I realized how ridiculous this was since I never watch these things. I unpacked everything, and went through them, tossing the discs into a small Amazon shipping box and all the cases in the garbage. The one exception was Seinfeld and The Wire...I kept those in full. Today that box of discs is in the same small shelf of a closet that I put it in the day I unpacked it. I'd be pissed if I was taking up virtually an entire wall with movie boxes that I never touched this whole time.

I noticed that if a movie I like and own on DVD comes on one of the commercial free movie channels, I'll most likely watch it but I will rarely put in the DVD and watch it.
Odd.
A couple years ago, I was in bed on a Sunday morning and had the urge to watch Rounders. I thought I saw it on HBO On Demand recently so I checked there. Not available. Checked Netflix. Not available. Checked Amazon Prime. Wasn't in the free Prime section, only for $2.99 or whatever. Ended up watching something completely different.

I had two copies of Rounders on DVD (original and Special Edition) in the other room of my modest 2 BR NYC apartment and did all of the above instead of walking over, getting the disc, and popping it in.

As of about a year ago, I probably had 125-150 DVDs, with maybe 20 of those being BR. A good number of season sets that I bought back before streaming was a thing (The Wire, Seinfeld, Oz, The Shield, etc). We were moving and as I'm filling the second extra large Home Depot moving box with all these cases, I realized how ridiculous this was since I never watch these things. I unpacked everything, and went through them, tossing the discs into a small Amazon shipping box and all the cases in the garbage. The one exception was Seinfeld and The Wire...I kept those in full. Today that box of discs is in the same small shelf of a closet that I put it in the day I unpacked it. I'd be pissed if I was taking up virtually an entire wall with movie boxes that I never touched this whole time.

Odd.
A couple years ago, I was in bed on a Sunday morning and had the urge to watch Rounders. I thought I saw it on HBO On Demand recently so I checked there. Not available. Checked Netflix. Not available. Checked Amazon Prime. Wasn't in the free Prime section, only for $2.99 or whatever. Ended up watching something completely different.

I had two copies of Rounders on DVD (original and Special Edition) in the other room of my modest 2 BR NYC apartment and did all of the above instead of walking over, getting the disc, and popping it in.
(thick kind of eastern european accent) "Pay this man his money..."

Mainly just buy the kid movies because I'm one who likes the physical medium and if you need to...there's always someone who will buy the Blu-Ray from you on E-bay. Plus....it seems like you can always buy the physical disk for as cheap or cheaper than owning it digitally.

I'll buy the blu-ray if it's a movie or series that I love, and want to be able to watch in high quality at any time. I have Netflix, but they have a pretty crappy selection, and I don't really stream from anywhere else.

for other services, like Amazon Prime or whatever, can you watch anything you want at any time?

Redbox is in our Supermarket.
I have one at my supermarket as well, but that's 8 minutes from my house. Even if one of the trips is included with the rental, I still would have to spend 16 minutes driving, gas, wear, etc. For what.. $5 of savings? -EV in a big way

I haven't bought a movie in years.

I rarely watch movies compared to TV shows though. The last DVD's I bought were The Wire box set and that seems like a fitting final DVD purchase. Now, nearly all my media purchases are TV shows on Amazon that are on channels I don't get anymore (like You're the Worst and Rectify). That'll probably become even more rare now, as I don't watch enough cable to ever get interested in a show. I trust Netflix and Amazon enough to pretty much give all their originals a look. There are so many of them there isn't much time to fool with checking out cable shows (which nearly all suck).

I'm one of the holdouts that likes the physical media and hasn't let go of CD's or DVD's yet. On a free weekend I'll run through a local pawn shop (7 DVD's for $10) or 1/2 Price Books' clearance rack ($2 or less for a DVD) and see what's new. I have hundreds of CD's and DVD's, but they don't really take up that much space. The CD's I rip to my computer/mp3 player then store, the movies are in 2 sided rotating towers. I know the change is inevitably coming, but it works for me for now.

With a service like Spotify there is no reason to buy music anymore. Too bad an on demand equivalent for movies doesn't exist.

With a service like Spotify there is no reason to buy music anymore. Too bad an on demand equivalent for movies doesn't exist.
Totally. There should be a service that lets you stream movies online. Would love to watch flicks on the net. That would be prime.

Once you buy a movie title on any format you should be able to own it forever.

Do they really expect people to have bought a VHS, DVD, BluRay, and now digital copies of the same titles?

No wonder so many people pirate.

the concept of owning movies I think is over.............technology has overrun the idea.
I don't even know what the technology is. I am a moron. I still buy DVDs for my son. I do not have my PC hooked up due to Verizon screwing me years ago during a storm. 90% of my internet activities are done via my phone. The other 10% at work or public library.

Clouds, torrents, transferring to files. WTF is all that? I don't know.

So is it still easy to rip physical movies. I know I had issue with lots of disney discs.

I also don't have blue ray in my PC :(

Anyone using Vudu? They just went one step forward, one step back with their Disc 2 Digital service.

Step forward - You don't need a PC to convert discs anymore. You can scan UPC codes with the app. First conversion is free.

Step "backwards" - Convert 10 get 50% off deal is no more.

I still love the D2D program though. I just convert movies I checked out from the library.

I just bought a Blu-Ray yesterday. I own a few movies on Flixster/Google Play. I'm sort of in that in-between stage and was just thinking about it yesterday. For some reason that I really can't explain, I can't give up that tangible disc.

How do you own your movies now? Google Play? Flixster? Amazon? Can you help me make the change to an online library?
I still buy the Blu-ray and get the digital copy. At home we tend to use Netflix and VuDu.

But, when we go to the Cabin in Canada where there is no phones, TV Stations, or internet, having the discs for the stormy days that we can't be on the lake is priceless. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread