What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty rankings for the offseason? (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
Does anyone know of any dynasty rankings posted for IDPs for the offseason? I'm looking toward roster cut dates and having some trouble sorting out a few guys.

I don't anticipate getting a full set of tiers out before getting back from the Senior Bowl in late January. And those will be cursory compared to the first full set of tiers I'll do just after the NFL draft, where I give every team and position group some deep thought as my basis for everything to follow in OTAs, camp and preseason.

If you guys would like to turn this thread into a discussion of unclear situations, I'm game to contribute my best guesses at 2016. Hopefully, others will as well.

Jene, is there any value on the NYG defensive line? We've been assuming JPP is gone, the coaching staff might change, they cut Damontre Moore... what a mess.

Sounds great Jene.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Philly and Miami linebacker corps heading into next season if you have a chance.

I'm not Jene but I'll give my .02

Robert Ayers was nearly unblockable the last 6 weeks, he averaged the most ppg weeks 10-16 of all DE's. Him and Owa would be the guys I'd want to take a flier on in deep leagues. Clearly JPP is in a different tier, at least cost wise...as far as jpp, I think he'll get the club thing figured out and have a bounce back 2016, but off the top of my head I'd have him behind watt, quinn, chandler jones, ansah, dunlap, wilkerson, cox, griffen, sheard and I'm sure there's others.

As far as philly goes I think the middle is a 3 headed split with kendricks, alonso, and hicks with Ryans potentially still sticking his nose in there...no thx

Miami is a place I like for speculative LB's coming out of nowhere. My gut is Sheppard will be let go in free agency and vigil takes over in the middle but I don't like that vigil started the year splitting reps with Sheppard and didn't see an increase in PT as the year went along even with injuries mounting..I also like Hewitt a lot and I've heard comparisons of him to a hybrid like Kam Chancellor, Bucannon, and Telvin Smith but I think his best fit is WLB and I doubt Miami pulls the plug on Jelani there, even though his 2015 was a nightmare marred with injuries and spotty play.

Jene, is there any value on the NYG defensive line? We've been assuming JPP is gone, the coaching staff might change, they cut Damontre Moore... what a mess.
The entire front seven is a mess and the coaching situation is unknown. Among the defensive end group, Jason Pierre-Paul and Robert Ayers are not under contract for 2016 and Owa Odighizuwa has durability concerns. But those would be the three I'd consider rostering through the offseason.

JPP still has his legs, but I still have a hard time believing he'll be get back to a dominant two-way end with his hand injuries. He'd be a hold in shallow leagues and a sell high if already rostered.

OO is a roster hold in leagues where 30 or more DE are on rosters. He's got the most upside of this group. I believe in his talent and ceiling, but the loss of developmental time this year may delay his arrival. I think he's a more skilled and technically ready version of Demarcus Lawrence, who really struggled early this year in his first real snaps as a pro.

Ayers is talented enough to produce when given a good volume of snaps, but his ultimate value is dependent on opportunity. And we won't know that for certain until after free agency and the draft.

Sounds great Jene.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Philly and Miami linebacker corps heading into next season if you have a chance.
I really hope the Eagles find their way to a 4-3 and re-sign Vinny Curry. That may be the best chance for all three linebackers to hold value. All three are so similar, it's hard to project who will play which role, whether 3-4 or 4-3. And they're all under contract (as is DeMeco Ryans).

I'd loosely tier them Kendricks = Hicks > Alonso > Ryans. Alonso was always a bit of a mirage to me, with statistics pumped by the Buffalo stat crew and opportunity. I'm nervous about the ACL, too, though he did surprise with what seems to be a stable recovery from the partial tear. Hicks' pectoral issue shouldn't limit him this offseason. I'd play this the same way we played the CHI situation this summer. Pick the player you feel has the most all-around talent or wait and see who seems most undervalued. We should have a better expectation after the Eagles hire a coach. With any luck, we'll get a personnel assessment around draft time.

I think we'll see changes in Miami's depth chart, too. For now, I'd roster only Jelani Jenkins, crossing my fingers he finds a way to be much more durable than he's been as an every-down linebacker. Zach Vigil got some run as an up-and-comer at one point, but never cracked the lineup despite injuries to those ahead of him. OTAs will matter here.

Basically if an ILB even goes for a holiday to the south Florida beaches, put him on your watch list.

Looks like a huge churn coming up here. With churns comes new starters.

Does anyone know of any dynasty rankings posted for IDPs for the offseason? I'm looking toward roster cut dates and having some trouble sorting out a few guys.
I'll throw my rankings up here just to have something to discuss. Haven't really begun to sift through them yet, as most of my energy is devoted to researching the rookies at the moment, but here's my very fluid set of rankings I had at the close of the season. Obviously a lot of situations are up in the air. In some cases it's "wait and see, in others I split the difference, and in still other cases I went more all-in on how I think a situation might resolve itself. Almost all my leagues demand separate spots for DT and DE as well as CB and S, so I've separated those positions here as well....I'll start with the DT and make a separate post for the other positions, as I have no idea how to format this in a manageable way..

Defensive Tackle

1. Aaron Donald STL

2. Ndamukong Suh MIA

3. Geno Atkins CIN

4. Gerald McCoy TBB

5. Kawann Short CAR

6. Marcell Dareus BUF

7. Sharrif Floyd MIN

8. Linval Joseph MIN

9. Johnathan Hankins NYG

10. Sen’Derrick Marks JAC

11. Malcom Brown NEP

12. Danny Shelton CLE

13. Jaye Howard KCC

14. Ian Williams SFO

15. Dontari Poe KCC

16. Brandon Williams BAL

17. Damon Harrison NYJ

18. Star Lotulelei CAR

19. Grady Jarrett ATL

20. Clinton McDonald TBB

21. Bennie Logan PHI

22. Michael Brockers STL

23. Tom Johnson MIN

24. Eddie Goldman CHI

25. Dominique Easley NEP

26. Tyrone Crawford DAL

27. Caraun Reid DET

28. Domata Peko CIN

29. Brandon Mebane SEA

30. Dan Williams OAK

31. Roy Miller JAC

32. John Jenkins NOS

33. Kyle Williams BUF

34. Ahtyba Rubin SEA

35. Haloti Ngata DET

36. Henry Melton TBB

37. Tyson Alualu JAC

38. Ra’Shede Hageman ATL

39. Jordan Hill SEA

40. Terrance Knighton WAS

41. Sylvester Williams DEN

42. Mike Purcell SFO

43. David Parry IND

44. Nick Fairley STL

45. Jordan Phillips MIA

46. B.J. Raji GBP

47. Jay Ratliff CHI

48. Nick Hayden DAL

49. Sammie Lee Hill TEN

50. Corey Peters ARI

51. Jay Bromley NYG

52. Paul Soliai ATL

53. Michael Bennett JAC

54. Rodney Gunter ARI

55. Earl Mitchell MIA

56. Sealver Siliga NEP

57. Alan Branch NEP

58. Jonathan Babineaux ATL

59. Pat Sims CIN

60. Dwan Edwards CAR

Defensive End

1. J.J. Watt HOU

2. Robert Quinn STL

3. Ezekiel Ansah DET

4. Carlos Dunlap CIN

5. Everson Griffin MIN

6. Chandler Jones NEP

7. Fletcher Cox PHI

8. Muhammad Wilkerson NYJ

9. Demarcus Lawrence DAL

10. Vic Beasley ATL

11. Oliver Vernon MIA

12. Cameron Jordan NOS

13. Greg Hardy DAL

14. Jabaal Sheard NEP

15. Jurell Casey TEN

16. Mario Williams BUF

17. Michael Bennett SEA

18. Calais Campbell ARI

19. Dante Fowler JAC

20. Jerry Hughes BUF

21. Leonard Williams NYJ

22. Jason Pierre-Paul NYG

23. Mario Edwards OAK

24. Cameron Heyward PIT

25. Cliff Avril SEA

26. Sheldon Richardson NYJ

27. Allen Bailey KCC

28. Corey Liuget SDC

29. Danielle Hunter MIN

30. Stephon Tuitt PIT

31. Robert Ayers NYG

32. William Gholston TBB

33. Chris Baker WAS

34. Owamagbe Odighizuwa NYG

35. Mike Daniels GBP

36. Henry Anderson IND

37. Derek Wolfe DEN

38. Michael Johnson CIN

39. William Hayes STL

40. Andre Branch JAC

41. Derrick Shelby MIA

42. Brian Robison MIN

43. Cameron Wake MIA

44. Rob Ninkovich NEP

45. Kony Ealy CAR

46. Malik Jackson DEN

47. Jacquies Smith TBB

48. Kerry Wynn NYG

49. Desmond Bryant CLE

50. Devin Taylor DET

51. Randy Gregory DAL

52. Timmy Jernigan BAL

53. Arik Armstead SFO

54. Kendall Langford IND

55. Jason Jones DET

56. Chris Long STL

57. Datone Jones GBP

58. Quinton Dial SFO

59. Charles Johnson CAR

60. Frank Clark SEA

61. George Johnson TBB

62. Eugene Sims STL

63. Jarvis Jenkins CHI

64. Jared Crick HOU

Linebacker

1. Luke Kuechly CAR

2. C.J. Mosley BAL

3. Navorro Bowman SFO

4. Khalil Mack OAK

5. Lavonte David TBB

6. Telvin Smith JAC

7. Bobby Wagner SEA

8. Paul Posluszny JAC

9. Alec Ogletree STL

10. Stephone Anthony NOS

11. Sean Lee DAL

12. Ryan Shazier PIT

13. Derrick Johnson KCC

14. Jamie Collins NEP

15. Danny Trevathan DEN

16. D’Qwell Jackson IND

17. Lawrence Timmons PIT

18. Deandre Levy DET

19. Denzel Perryman SDC

20. Eric Kendricks MIN

21. Preston Brown BUF

22. Malcolm Smith OAK

23. Mychal Kendricks PHI

24. Don’t’a Hightower NEP

25. Justin Houston KCC

26. Brandon Marshall DEN

27. Kwon Alexander TBB

28. Vontaze Burfict CIN

29. Karlos Dansby CLE

30. Daryl Smith BAL

31. Anthony Barr MIN

32. Jordan Hicks PHI

33. Thomas Davis CAR

34. Demario Davis NYJ

35. Von Miller DEN

36. Ryan Kerrigan WAS

37. Manti Te’o SDC

38. Benardrick McKinney HOU

39. Paul Worrilow ATL

40. Avery Williamson TEN

41. Kevin Minter ARI

42. David Harris NYJ

43. Jerrell Freeman IND

44. KJ Wright SEA

45. Stephen Tulloch DET

46. Devon Kennard NYG

47. Jasper Brinkley NYG

48. James Laurinaitis STL

49. Clay Matthews GBP

50. Ben Heeney OAK

51. Jelani Jenkins MIA

52. Jadeveon Clowney HOU

53. Rolando McClain DAL

54. Keenan Robinson WAS

55. Melvin Ingram SDC

56. Preston Smith WAS

57. Michael Wilhoite SFO

58. Dannell Ellerbe NOS

59. Shaq Thompson CAR

60. Derrick Morgan TEN

61. Jeremiah Attaochu SDC

62. Brian Cushing HOU

63. Shea McClellin CHI

64. Nigel Bradham BUF

65. Christian Kirksey CLE

66. Demarcus Ware DEN

67. Jake Ryan GBP

68. Nate Orchard CLE

69. Bruce Irvin SEA

70. Wesley Woodyard TEN

71. Pernell McPhee CHI

72. Brandon Graham PHI

73. Craig Robertson CLE

74. Danny Lansanah TBB

75. Shane Ray DEN

76. Gerald Hodges SFO

77. Brian Orakpo TEN

78. Bud Dupree PIT

79. Whitney Mercilus HOU

80. Dee Ford KCC

81. Kiko Alonso PHI

82. Tahir Whitehead DET

83. Terrell Suggs BAL

84. Tamba Hali KCC

85. Perry Riley WAS

86. Akeem Ayers STL

87. Connor Barwin PHI

88. Elvis Dumervil BAL

89. Kelvin Sheppard MIA

90. Jonathan Casillas NYG

91. Vincent Rey CIN

92. Nick Perry GBP

93. Markus Golden ARI

94. Za’Darius Smith BAL

95. Christian Jones CHI

96. Jarvis Jones PIT

97. Mike Neal GBP

98. Donald Butler SDC

99. Sio Moore IND

100. Paul Dawson CIN

101. Rey Maualuga CIN

102. Josh Mauga KCC

103. Justin Durant ATL

104. Koa Misi MIA

Cornerback

1. Prince Amukamara NYG

2. Marcus Peters KCC

3. Bashaud Breeland WAS

4. Josh Norman CAR

5. Kareem Jackson HOU

6. Ronald Darby BUF

7. Joe Haden CLE

8. Trumaine Johnson STL

9. Adam Jones CIN

10. Deangelo Hall WAS

11. Brandon Browner NOS

12. Jason McCourty TEN

13. Brent Grimes MIA

14. Jason Verrett SDC

15. Nolan Carroll PHI

16. Ryan Logan NEP

17. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie NYG

18. D.J. Hayden OAK

19. Damarious Randall GBP

20. Byron Maxwell PHI

21. David Amerson OAK

22. Dre Kirkpatrick CIN

23. Tramon Williams CLE

24. Aqib Talib DEN

25. Brandon Carr DAL

26. Janoris Jenkins STL

27. Chris Harris DEN

28. Xavier Rhodes MIN

29. Byron Jones DAL

30. Malcolm Butler NEP

31. Aaron Colvin JAC

32. Casey Hayward GBP

33. Darius Slay DET

34. E.J. Gaines STL

35. Vontae Davis IND

36. Tramaine Brock SFO

37. Sterling Moore TBB

38. Lamarcus Joyner STL

39. Richard Sherman SEA

40. Jerraud Powers ARI

41. Robert Alford ATL

42. Antwon Blake PIT

43. Eric Rowe PHI

44. Lardarius Webb BAL

45. Kyle Fuller CHI

46. Johnathan Joseph HOU

47. Sean Smith KCC

48. Trae Waynes MIN

49. Darqueze Dennard CIN

50. Jeremy Lane SEA

51. Greg Toler IND

52. Coty Sensabaugh TEN

53. Kevin Johnson HOU

54. Davon House JAC

55. Brice McCain MIA

56. Tony Lippett MIA

57. Jamar Taylor MIA

Safety

1. Reshad Jones MIA

2. Deone Bucannon ARI

3. Harrison Smith MIN

4. Landon Collins NYG

5. Mark Barron STL

6. Eric Berry KCC

7. Johnathan Cyprien JAC

8. Morgan Burnett GBP

9. Barry Church DAL

10. Kenny Vaccaro NOS

11. Tyrann Mathieu ARI

12. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix GBP

13. Malcolm Jenkins PHI

14. Kam Chancellor SEA

15. Eric Weddle SDC

16. Earl Thomas SEA

17. Corey Graham BUF

18. Calvin Pryor NYJ

19. Dashon Goldson WAS

20. Kurt Coleman CAR

21. Antoine Bethea SFO

22. Will Allen PIT

23. Clayton Geathers IND

24. Jaquiski Tartt SFO

25. Michael Griffin TEN

26. Reggie Nelson CIN

27. Mike Adams IND

28. Chris Conte TBB

29. Ron Parker KCC

30. T.J. Ward DEN

31. Rashad Johnson ARI

32. William Moore ATL

33. T.J. McDonald STL

34. Donte Whitner CLE

35. Tony Jefferson ARI

36. Dwight Lowery IND

37. Rodney McLeod STL

38. Andrew Sendejo MIN

39. Bradley McDougald TBB

40. Aaron Williams BUF

41. Walter Thurmond PHI

42. Will Hill BAL

43. Patrick Chung NEP

44. Glover Quin DET

45. Eric Reid SFO

46. Jairus Byrd NOS

47. Adrian Amos CHI

48. James Ihedigbo DET

49. Da’Norris Searcy TEN

50. Isa Abdul-Quddus DET

51. Jahleel Addae SDC

52. Mike Mitchell PIT

53. Quintin Demps HOU

54. Devin McCourty NEP

55. Bacarri Rambo BUF

56. Larry Asante OAK

57. Marcus Gilchrist NYJ

58. George Iloka CIN

59. JJ Wilcox DAL

60. Kendrick Lewis BAL

61. Tashaun Gipson CLE

62. Brandon Meriweather NYG

63. Matt Elam BAL

64. Ryan Mundy CHI

65. Harold Jones-Quartey CHI

Linebacker

49. Clay Matthews GBP
You have Matthews way down the list. Do you think he sticks in the middle next year or do they move him back outside and use his pass rushing strength again? It was disappointing to see him drop in coverage so much. I don't think it helped the GB defense as a whole and definitely killed Matthews IDP wise.

I just traded for him in a big play scoring league with the belief they move him back to a more attacking role and his sacks improve.

Linebacker

49. Clay Matthews GBP
You have Matthews way down the list. Do you think he sticks in the middle next year or do they move him back outside and use his pass rushing strength again? It was disappointing to see him drop in coverage so much. I don't think it helped the GB defense as a whole and definitely killed Matthews IDP wise.

I just traded for him in a big play scoring league with the belief they move him back to a more attacking role and his sacks improve.
First off, I wouldn't say ranking Matthews at #49 is necessarily a negative or even "way down" the list: There's really not a lot separating #20-#50 and on any given day I might move him towards the upper end of that tier. That said, there are a few reasons why I've had him towards the lower end of that group: First is his age. He'll be turning 30 in a few months...not necessarily old, but in dynasty leagues age and durability concerns must always be a consideration. Secondly, there's the question of his usage (as you mentioned) and where he's going to fit in the future. I think it's just about a given that Green Bay drafts at least one linebacker in the first three rounds of the upcoming rookie draft, and possibly two. They could use both an inside LB and a rush LB - probably TWO rush LBs. Peppers was great this year, but he's ancient and expensive. Neal and Perry are both UFA. But Matthews is somewhat a victim of his own success: He was extremely effective playing inside, so there's a high likelihood his role won't change significantly next year, no matter what new players they acquire. In the past three years, he's finished as LB51, LB34 and LB46, and if his role stays the same, he should fall somewhere at least close to, if not within, that range. Bottom line is, he's a fantastic player, and Capers would be foolish not to let him pin his ears back and get after it. In big-play leagues he's even more valuable, and you should be delighted with your acquisition. I've probably got him about 15 spots too low...but I'm a Cheesehead and I tend to overcorrect for homerism. ;)

Linebacker

49. Clay Matthews GBP

In the past three years, he's finished as LB51, LB34 and LB46, and if his role stays the same, he should fall somewhere at least close to, if not within, that range. Bottom line is, he's a fantastic player, and Capers would be foolish not to let him pin his ears back and get after it. In big-play leagues he's even more valuable, and you should be delighted with your acquisition. I've probably got him about 15 spots too low...but I'm a Cheesehead and I tend to overcorrect for homerism. ;)
Just as a comparison Matthews finished 25th (2015), 8th (2014), and 70th (2013 or 44th by ppg) in my leagues' LB scoring over the last three years. We are an extremely big play league (8 pts per sack vs 1 pt per tackle for LB's) so rush LB's have a nice boost for sure.

I just hope he goes back to rushing the passer. If he does that I will have a bargain in him.

Obviously a huge boost for Brandon Graham (and Curry, if he's re-signed) if the Eagles move, as expected, to a 4-3. And Fletcher Cox would be a massive asset for owners in defensive tackle-specific leagues. Hicks in the middle, Kendricks at Will and then Alonso at Sam. Their personnel seems made for this switch. :thumbup:

Obviously a huge boost for Brandon Graham (and Curry, if he's re-signed) if the Eagles move, as expected, to a 4-3. And Fletcher Cox would be a massive asset for owners in defensive tackle-specific leagues. Hicks in the middle, Kendricks at Will and then Alonso at Sam. Their personnel seems made for this switch. :thumbup:
Adam Caplan has tweeted that Alonso is earmarked for the Will position in Schwartz's 4-3 scheme.

my guess is

DE -

Starters - Graham and Curry

Reserve - Barwin and Smith

DT -

Starters - Curry and Logan

Reserve - Thornton and Beau Allen

LB -

Kendricks MLB

Hicks SLB

Alonso WLB

Reserve - Ryans and Goode

*Assuming they don't lose or add anything, which of course they will...

The Question is, I have Cox and Donald on the same team in a DT required league. I can start two DT's but it's never been ideal. Donald is on a planet of his own in DT required leagues. Does Cox now belong on the same planet? If not, I may try to unload him while I still can.

For a reference point into my scoring, 8 DL's scored over 190. There was a huge dropoff to 9th, which was Michael Bennett with 160. Watt(238), Dunlap(208), Wilkerson(201), Cox(198), Ansah(197), Chandler Jones(194), Kawann Short (194), Donald(193). Robert Ayers and Sheard would have been on this list as well if you extrapolate their missed games with the 12+ points they averaged in the games in which they played.

Do Cox's numbers stay similar in a move to DT and he is indeed in Donald's stratosphere, or is he more Atkins/McCoy?

btw, staying with the eagle theme, in deep dynos I'm taking stabs at Marcus Smith. His sophomore and junior years he played DT. His Senior year at Louisville he was moved to DE and exploded for 16 sacks, 19 tackles for loss, 6 forced fumbles. He had never played a snap at Linebacker until he joined the Eagles. He was always in Chip Kelly's doghouse because Chip Kelly didn't want to draft him, the pick was forced by Howie Roseman. It's not a coincidence that Smith played his most snaps of the season in week 17 after Kelly was fired, and he notched a sack in that game. Roseman is now back in charge of player personnel and you know he's itching to prove that Smith was not a wasted pick at 1.26. Schwartz will transition the eagles to a 4-3 which is what Smith needs. He'll also likely need Barwin to get cut and Graham or Curry to play poorly or get dinged up, but if things fall right, I can see Smith waking up this year and being at least rosterable in most dyno IDP's, if not startable at some point this year. The kid's only 23.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/1/20/10793902/howie-roseman-eagles-marcus-smith-pick-general-manager-chip-kelly-doug-pederson-jeffrey-lurie?_ga=1.259388234.1754386830.1430652031

Nice work. Derek Wolfe is going to be a steal next season. I see top 10 DE production from him in 2016.

I don't anticipate getting a full set of tiers out before getting back from the Senior Bowl in late January. And those will be cursory compared to the first full set of tiers I'll do just after the NFL draft, where I give every team and position group some deep thought as my basis for everything to follow in OTAs, camp and preseason.
Jene, any chance of a tier article sometime soon? I'd love to see it before the Zealots RFA deadline on the 18th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised nobody is ranking Daryl Washington. I'd rather hold him in hopes he gets cleared than carry a lot of other guys who are getting ranked.

I'm surprised nobody is ranking Daryl Washington. I'd rather hold him in hopes he gets cleared than carry a lot of other guys who are getting ranked.
He's been out for too long and no guarantee he gets reinstated. If I had an open spot and he cost nothing to hold onto then I might but I am not going to go out of my way to acquire him.

Boy, Chicago's LBs are tough to sort out.
Agreed. And this is before the draft. Or any FA additions.

Leaning towards avoiding this whole situation. Exception possibly if they draft a LB in a league where I Have PS eligibility for a season at least.

Keenan Robinson, I'd say.  I've let Perry Riley fall off my rosters this offseason, though.

Tick said:
Keenan Robinson, I'd say.  I've let Perry Riley fall off my rosters this offseason, though.
Early rumors are Keenan expected to walk and Riley is a likely cut. Resigning of Mason Foster seems more than likely as he and Will Compton anchored the LB corps through the critical stretch of last season. I expext an ILB to be drafted at some point, but Foster would be my choice of a rostered WAS LB at this point.

Early rumors are Keenan expected to walk and Riley is a likely cut. Resigning of Mason Foster seems more than likely as he and Will Compton anchored the LB corps through the critical stretch of last season. I expext an ILB to be drafted at some point, but Foster would be my choice of a rostered WAS LB at this point.
Thanks. I figured after Robinson's performance last year and with him being a FA, there would be someone else worth looking into.

I absolutely despise owning this guy as he's as boom or bust as it gets.  From a football perspective, he probably deserves to be ranked this high, but from a fantasy perspective, not so much.  
The list of DL who aren't boom/bust for fantasy purposes might very well start and end at "1. J.J. Watt."

Quinn's production did fall off a bit last season due to injury but I'm still comfortable slotting him as a high-end DL1.

The list of DL who aren't boom/bust for fantasy purposes might very well start and end at "1. J.J. Watt."

Quinn's production did fall off a bit last season due to injury but I'm still comfortable slotting him as a high-end DL1.
Eh, not really.  There are a ton of guys who are more consistent (kawann short for one) AND outscore Quinn.  This obviously depends on your league's scoring, but on a PPG basis he was 30th for DL in 2015 and 7th in 2014.  

He makes for a great DL2, but horrible DL1, IMO.  

Very league scoring dependent.  He came in 16th in PPG in my league, and that included a zero where he left the game early, and several games he played hurt.  Not hard to see him coming up a few spots from there.

If youre system puts him 30th, then no, not as strong a prospect going forward.

Captain Cranks said:
Eh, not really.  There are a ton of guys who are more consistent (kawann short for one) AND outscore Quinn.  This obviously depends on your league's scoring, but on a PPG basis he was 30th for DL in 2015 and 7th in 2014.  

He makes for a great DL2, but horrible DL1, IMO.  
I am not sure how you can say that Kawann Short is more consistent than Quinn.  Short has had one solid year but before that he maxed out at 3.5 sacks with an average of 20 tackles per season. 

Quinn on the other hand has put up 10.5 sacks (or more) in three of the last four seasons and if you extrapolate his sacks from last year (5 sacks in 8 games played) he would have had another 10 sack season making it four straight seasons.

Quinn is good for 10+ sacks and 30+ tackles a year when he is healthy.  Short is definitely on the rise but I wouldn't  say he is more consistent than Quinn.

Sounds to me like your scoring is tackle heavy so most DL are going to be inconsistent because the tackle numbers aren't there and they are heavily reliant on sacks.

Game-to-game consistency, not season-to-season.
DL is typically about the sack so anyone with double digit sacks is usually consistent for the DL.  I realize some of these guys can go 3 sacks in a game that will make the double digit sack season less consistent week to week but that is just the nature of the DL beast in most cases. 

Overall I wouldn't say that Short is more consistent than Quinn because the longevity hasn't been there for Short.  Another season or two like 2015 and I would agree they are in the same boat and I think Short will get there.   I just wouldn't give up on Quinn due to one injury hampered season.  He is still elite.

It's pretty typical for DTs to be inconsistent season-to-season, but more consistent game-to-game than DEs.

You get a top DE and he's typically good for 5+ years.  At good DT is good for a season from what I've seen.

Sounds to me like your scoring is tackle heavy so most DL are going to be inconsistent because the tackle numbers aren't there and they are heavily reliant on sacks.
All the IDP leagues I'm in attempt to create scoring rules so that scoring is relatively balanced across all positions.  I don't know if that equals "tackle heavy" though.  

Regarding Quinn, while he's a sack monster, it feels like those sacks come in over 5 games.  I equate him to a low volume, TD-dependent wide receiver.  Those guys are great as WR2, but too boom-or-bust to be considered high-end WR1s.  I like to reserve those spots for guys not likely to give me goose eggs.    

Captain Cranks said:
All the IDP leagues I'm in attempt to create scoring rules so that scoring is relatively balanced across all positions.  I don't know if that equals "tackle heavy" though.  
Tackle heavy usually means a sack to tackle ratio of 3:1 or less.  It may be that your league scores each position on a separate scale so DL get 5 pts per sack while LB's get 2 pts per sack.  Something like that to try and boost the positions that are more sack dependent over tackle dependent to even out scoring.  Regardless comparing Quinn to other DL is the question.

Quinn has the following:

2015 - sacks in 4 of 6 games where he played the full game (2 games he played very little and didn't get a sack and he missed 8 games)

2014 - sacks in 6 of 16 games

2013 - sacks in 11/16 games

2012 - sacks in 8/16 games

Based on that it appears that Quinn in fairly consistent in that he gets sacks about every other game.  For DL I think that is what I would consider top tier production.  Now what might drop him a notch is that he averages about 2 tackles a game so in games he doesn't get sacks he does very little (so about half of his games).  Again, I think most DL fit in that category.  There are only about 10-15 DL each year that get 40+ tackles a year.  And maybe half of those have potential for 10+ sack seasons.  Quinn has averaged about 35 tackles and 10+ sacks per year since 2012.  I believe that is top tier and at a sack every other game played I think that is consistent for DL not named Watt.

Defensive End

1. J.J. Watt HOU

2. Robert Quinn STL

3. Ezekiel Ansah DET

4. Carlos Dunlap CIN

5. Everson Griffin MIN

6. Chandler Jones NEP

7. Fletcher Cox PHI

8. Muhammad Wilkerson NYJ

9. Demarcus Lawrence DAL

10. Vic Beasley ATL

11. Oliver Vernon MIA

12. Cameron Jordan NOS

13. Greg Hardy DAL

14. Jabaal Sheard NEP

15. Jurell Casey TEN

16. Mario Williams BUF

17. Michael Bennett SEA

18. Calais Campbell ARI

19. Dante Fowler JAC

20. Jerry Hughes BUF

21. Leonard Williams NYJ

22. Jason Pierre-Paul NYG

23. Mario Edwards OAK

24. Cameron Heyward PIT

25. Cliff Avril SEA

26. Sheldon Richardson NYJ

27. Allen Bailey KCC

28. Corey Liuget SDC

29. Danielle Hunter MIN

30. Stephon Tuitt PIT

31. Robert Ayers NYG

32. William Gholston TBB

33. Chris Baker WAS

34. Owamagbe Odighizuwa NYG

35. Mike Daniels GBP

36. Henry Anderson IND

37. Derek Wolfe DEN

38. Michael Johnson CIN

39. William Hayes STL

40. Andre Branch JAC

41. Derrick Shelby MIA

42. Brian Robison MIN

43. Cameron Wake MIA

44. Rob Ninkovich NEP

45. Kony Ealy CAR

46. Malik Jackson DEN

47. Jacquies Smith TBB

48. Kerry Wynn NYG

49. Desmond Bryant CLE

50. Devin Taylor DET

51. Randy Gregory DAL

52. Timmy Jernigan BAL

53. Arik Armstead SFO

54. Kendall Langford IND

55. Jason Jones DET

56. Chris Long STL

57. Datone Jones GBP

58. Quinton Dial SFO

59. Charles Johnson CAR

60. Frank Clark SEA

61. George Johnson TBB

62. Eugene Sims STL

63. Jarvis Jenkins CHI

64. Jared Crick HOU
Where would you guys put Deforest Buckner?

Top 10 for sure in dynasty leagues. Rock solid production even in a 3-4, and only going to get better. I'm starting to put together my rankings heading into the new season and will post them in a few days.

Defensive Tackle

1.       Ndamukong Suh MIA

2.       Sheldon Rankins NOS

3.       Geno Atkins CIN

4.       Fletcher Cox PHI

5.       Kawann Short CAR

6.       Gerald McCoy TBB

7.       Linval Joseph MIN

8.       Malik Jackson JAX

9.       Corey Liuget LAC

10.   Marcell Dareus BUF

11.   Johnathan Hankins NYG