What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Radiohead (1 Viewer)

Apple Jack

Footballguy
I could not find a proper Radiohead thread. There has been recent news of them close to wrapping the new record, obviously a tour of some kind will follow and now a new song. I have a hard time believing the same person who thought enough of them to enlist them for the Bond movie was disappointed with this. It's tremendous.

Last year we were asked to write a theme tune for the Bond movie Spectre.
Yes we were. It didn't work out, but became something of our own, which we love very much.
As the year closes we thought you might like to hear it.
Merry Christmas. May the force be with you.

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/spectre

I like it but, to be fair, it doesn't sound like a Bond theme song!

Radiohead's last album was such a disappointment to me that I'm skeptical about a new one.

I love Radiohead. Amnesiac is my favorite right now with Kid A a close second. I can't wait to go see them in tour

It sounds like Radiohead doing a Bond theme, imo, which one would assume was the expectation. This isn't Taylor swift. You don't go to them for hit you over the head elementary hooks. I'm guessing someone at the studio put the kibosh on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like Radiohead doing a Bond theme, imo, which one would assume was the expectation. This isn't Taylor swift. You don't go to them for hit you over the head elementary hooks. I'm guessing someone at the studio put the kibosh on it.
Yep. Fits the bond sound but definitely not tune for everyone's palate.

I love Radiohead. Amnesiac is my favorite right now with Kid A a close second. I can't wait to go see them in tour
Bleh.....it was all downhill with these records.

Overrated meandering nonsense.

Give me The Bends and Ok Computer. You can have the rest.

One thing that helped me with some of the newer albums was seeing them live or listening to bootlegs. Songs off Kid A and Amnesiac sound completely different and more like what I loved about them in the Bends/OK Computer days.

Bands go in whatever direction they want, and Thom has always been obsessed with the electronic part of it. I do get what I hear as some of the gripes with them - I wish they would use their solo and side projects to **** around with the electronics and computers and put more rockin' albums out. Tried many times but can't get into the newest album or Thom solo stuff. Amnesiac is 2nd to last for me - despite having a couple great songs, the rest just feels like filler and incomplete ideas.

In Rainbows is amazing though.

One thing that helped me with some of the newer albums was seeing them live or listening to bootlegs. Songs off Kid A and Amnesiac sound completely different and more like what I loved about them in the Bends/OK Computer days.

Bands go in whatever direction they want, and Thom has always been obsessed with the electronic part of it. I do get what I hear as some of the gripes with them - I wish they would use their solo and side projects to **** around with the electronics and computers and put more rockin' albums out. Tried many times but can't get into the newest album or Thom solo stuff. Amnesiac is 2nd to last for me - despite having a couple great songs, the rest just feels like filler and incomplete ideas.

I like the electronic stuff better myself. Ok Computer is great, but I like Am and Kid A better. I also spin Pablo Honey quite often so what do I know.

Maybe my favorite band ever.
Give me your top 3-5 songs of theirs. I'm willing to give this another try.
It doesn't quite work like that with these guys. They don't put out singles per se.

I assume most people at least enjoy The Bends and OK Computer. The bigger hill to climb is probably Kid A and anything that follows. For me, there was barely a transition. I've enjoyed pretty much all of it.

Try this: watch their "From the Basement" videos which feature the albums King of Limbs and In Rainbows. If those don't grab you, it's safe to say they aren't for you.

too easy.

but thanks for checking in.
I think they are a band like Pink Floyd where you need to smoke some before listening and then it is mind blowing. For those of us who don't partake it just sounds like meandering nonsense.
Thank god for Taylor Swift, eh?
I don't listen to the radio much except with the kids - if I'm listening to music I listen to a lot of older stuff - Beatles, Stones, Simon and Garfunkel. I also like to put Pandora on and here stuff similar to the Avett Bros., Radical Face, The Shins, Mumford, Of Mice and Men.

I love Radiohead, but to me Thom Yorke's voice is more like listening to an instrument being played than listening someone sing a song. He could literally be singing in another language and I probably wouldn't even notice. Just sounds awesome as a whole.

Maybe my favorite band ever.
Give me your top 3-5 songs of theirs. I'm willing to give this another try.
What do you think about some of their more radio-friendly songs? Such as Karma Police, Optimistic, and There There.
Just tried these - KP is alright and I had heard it before - wasn't familiar with the other two, didn't hate them but didn't like them either. :shrug: It's ok, I'm glad other people like them - I think that it's just I don't have an ear for whatever genre they consider themselves.

Just my theory - I've even tried to like them by forcing myself to listen to them - always come away wondering what everybody is hearing that I'm missing.
My favorite quote about Radiohead: "I can't wait till the new album comes out so I can hate it the first 5 or 6 times and then fall in love with it"

I think that's usually how it goes to get into them as well. I always liked some of their stuff from OK Computer, but was never a big fan. Then when In Rainbows came out I was completely hooked.

The best piece of advice I can give anyone for listening to Radiohead is:

LISTEN ON HEADPHONES!!!

Even after being a fan for years, I was completely blown away with how amazing they sound on a good set of headphones. There is a TON of stuff going on you would never hear normally.

I love Radiohead, but to me Thom Yorke's voice is more like listening to an instrument being played than listening someone sing a song. He could literally be singing in another language and I probably wouldn't even notice. Just sounds awesome as a whole.
Whatever his voice is, I got tired of it pretty fast. :shrug:

It's definitely not for everyone. There was a study several years ago which showed Radiohead's music was more appealing to people with higher IQ's.

It's definitely not for everyone. There was a study several years ago which showed Radiohead's music was more appealing to people with higher IQ's.
:lol: #### like that will a long way to convince people that RH fans are snobs.

:lol: #### like that will a long way to convince people that RH fans are snobs.
Radiohead fans are snobs because we know the music is for the cultural elite and don't rightly care that the booger eaters think about it. It's on a different level and that's okay. Not everybody is gifted enough to enjoy it. Critics and other musicians agree. You know who doesn't agree? People who think we need a new Bond movie every year.

I agree. I thought Kid A had some brilliant moments, but just moments. The moment they went away from guitar driven music they lost me. I just did not like the direction they chose to go in. Amnesiac is just a ponderous b side out take of Kid A. I was really disappointed in that. Hail to the Thief was just OK.

But for me they have 2 incredible albums. I have seen them several times live and they are fantastic live. But music is highly subjective, and for me they are nothing special past the records they blew me away with. Everything since then has been pretty ordinary to poor. Now I did love some songs on In Rainbows. But overall it was decent.

But front to back The Bends and OK Computer are phenomenal albums.

Huh......really? LOL.

Higher musical IQ's know their best work is far behind them.

In all seriousness though.....

It's about personal preference. I found them far more enjoyable and interesting when they wrote rocking melodies around guitars and drums, then the meandering drug induced (and I love to burn from time to time BTW so that has nothing to do with it) with electronica and drum machines and Thome's annoying yodeling. But if you dig that....awesome. Good for you.

I loved the great sounds they got out of their guitars for a few albums......then it went to ####.

I understand the criticisms of their recent works, but I feel like most of the criticism stems from disappointment in them not recreating OK Computer or The Bends again and again. Guys - it's okay to dabble with new sounds, branch out, experiment. Some of it is a little too full of itself and I miss the guitar riffs, but this isn't Green Day we're talking about.

Take 2007's House of Cards. Does it belong on The Bends? Certainly not. But I find this song to be absolutely beautiful and enjoyable in a way The Bends is not. Apples and Oranges, but damn...this sort of range is brilliant to me.

I understand the criticisms of their recent works, but I feel like most of the criticism stems from disappointment in them not recreating OK Computer or The Bends again and again. Guys - it's okay to dabble with new sounds, branch out, experiment. Some of it is a little too full of itself and I miss the guitar riffs, but this isn't Green Day we're talking about.

Take 2007's House of Cards. Does it belong on The Bends? Certainly not. But I find this song to be absolutely beautiful and enjoyable in a way The Bends is not. Apples and Oranges, but damn...this sort of range is brilliant to me.
I liked them through In Rainbows. I'm a rare Radiohead fan whose favorite is Hail to the Thief. King of Limbs though was just flat out boring to me.

General Malaise said:

I don't disagree with trying new sounds, branching out etc. It is what can keep a band interesting. But they did not interest me with their new sounds. They lost me.

It happens.

I love Rush as many know (#### off in advance with anyone's snarky insults they freaking rock). They lost a ton of fans when they went to the mid 80's keyboard sounds etc. I loved it. So I can understand Radiohead fans who stuck with the band after OK Computer.

I would have rather them mix in new soundscapes but keep the guitar as the primary driving force. Many bands can experiment with new sounds, approaches etc. U2 did it on Achtung Baby and for me it was their high point of brilliance. But sometimes bands go too far in the other direction. I felt Radiohead did that with Kid A and they lost me. Hail To The King was good, In Rainbows moments of brilliance again....but nothing close to The Bends and Computer ever again.

Anyway. I think their fan base is crazy loyal and are quick to dismiss anyone who thinks they went downhill after OK Computer....when in my opinion.....they did. They have not made an album close to the brilliance of that one nor The Bends which is in fact my favorite album from them.

I love

How to Disappear Completely, Pyramid Song, Optimistic, I Might Be Wrong, and Knives Out. Life in a Glass House is my favorite. Fake Plastic Trees and Subterranean Homesick Alien are honorable mentions.

General Malaise said:

Great song

General Malaise said:
Radiohead fans are snobs because we know the music is for the cultural elite and don't rightly care that the booger eaters think about it. It's on a different level and that's okay. Not everybody is gifted enough to enjoy it.
:lmao:

General Malaise said:

Of course it is. It's also OK for people to not like the music as much when they do. They just happen to branch into stuff that just doesn't blow my hair back. I miss the guitar riffs as well, electronic music doesn't interest me that much.

I love House of Cards. IMO that is not too far removed from some of the stuff on OK Computer though. I am talking more when songs like Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors and Like Spinning Plates start showing up on albums.

Users who are viewing this thread