Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Apple Jack

Radiohead

I like both Identikit and True Love Waits more in their previous incarnations, although neither was a favorite of mine by any stretch of the imagination.  

I don't see any way this tops or equals In Rainbows, OK Computer, Kid A or The Bends, but the potential is there to overtake Hail to the Thief in my RH top 5. 

12 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I listened to it 5 times this afternoon - finally with some headphones on and able to just listen a couple times too.  I think it is pretty damn great. My favorite two songs currently are Decks Dark and The Numbers.  Not sure I am willing to put it over their 90s albums yet, but I might be willing to say it's their best since OK Computer.    The only one I don't love is studio True Love Waits.  Not bad by any stretch, but after hearing the live version for 10+ years, I just prefer that. 

Yes, Decks Dark and The Numbers are my current two tops as well. I honestly think in 10 more listens I'll have a different top two. I was with you on TLW but in last few listens I feel like it's clicking. Whole album is a grower.

11 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I like both Identikit and True Love Waits more in their previous incarnations, although neither was a favorite of mine by any stretch of the imagination.  

I don't see any way this tops or equals In Rainbows, OK Computer, Kid A or The Bends, but the potential is there to overtake Hail to the Thief in my RH top 5. 

Gun to my head, In Rainbows is my 3rd favorite album with Kid A #4.  Don't think there is a track to skip on this new one, which probably would put it at #4 neck and neck with In Rainbows now.  Not that it is a bad song, but Treefingers on Kid A is just there for me - I like everything on In Rainbows, so it's gets the nod for #3 for me.   Will have to listen to this one a few more times and maybe do a back to back listen with In Rainbows.  If anything this one has more of a consistent feel and flow to it. 

Been listening to True Love Waits on repeat for like the last hour.  It's a perfect version of the song to end this album.

Edit: I know I'll have to stop listening to it at some point but I can't imagine why I'd ever do that. 

Edited by Ignoratio Elenchi

Like all of their stuff, it just gets better and better with every listen.

Best band on the planet.

Seriously. Who else puts out 8 albums that are ALL great? No one.

Who else is still making amazing, critically acclaimed albums 25 years after they make it big?

No one.

• Like 2

Yeah, they rebounded in a big way with this release. So many layers and the texture just flows.

Surprised the 'Radiohead is so overrated - only for snobs' crowd hasn't made a peep yet.

16 hours ago, bananafish said:

:lmao: Gallagher's always been a giant ##### canoe. A jealous one at that. His band had a number of good songs you can count on one hand. Jesus man, grow up and get over it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skycriesmary said:

Surprised the 'Radiohead is so overrated - only for snobs' crowd hasn't made a peep yet.

They're everywhere. I honestly don't have a problem with people who don't care for the band. If it's not for you it's not for you. Some will get it down the road, some never will. What annoys me are fans who nitpick the album. Go on the reddit sub and it's people whining about the strings being to loud on one track or the album title not working or the track order not being to their liking.  If these people were around 600 years ago they'd be whining about Mona Lisa's dress being too dark or "Mona Lisa" being too vulgar a title.  This last generation growing up with the internet has made them into professional nitpickers. Growing up I don't remember breaking down every great album when it came out and finding some part of it to whine about. We just put it on and enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Radiohead is partly responsible for the current generation of nitpicky whiners, so there's no surprise there. 

I tried to listen to this. I just don't care about them anymore. I got through two tracks. They put True Love Waits on this album? 

That was played out for back during my crazy days of the early aughts. Ew.  

Can't find this on Spotify or Amazon. :kicksrock:

28 minutes ago, Otis said:

You quit drinking.  You don't get to listen to Radiohead anymore.

When you come to your senses, though.....go here.

26 minutes ago, Otis said:

#1 selling album on amazon if you're looking to buy there.

Need an audio nerd to help me with this Radiohead download.

It's asking me what format to use.  Might as well ask me what kind of Netflix would like to install.  I'll be doing most of my listening through my Android phone, if that helps.

What do I want here?
File sizes:
320kbit MP3 120MB
16-bit WAV 515MB
24-bit WAV 855MB

15 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I listened to it 5 times this afternoon - finally with some headphones on and able to just listen a couple times too.  I think it is pretty damn great. My favorite two songs currently are Decks Dark and The Numbers.  Not sure I am willing to put it over their 90s albums yet, but I might be willing to say it's their best since OK Computer.    The only one I don't love is studio True Love Waits.  Not bad by any stretch, but after hearing the live version for 10+ years, I just prefer that. 

i have a virtually identical reaction,   except i lump this in with as equal to or similar to how i view all the radiohead albums,   I just like most of it.    they should have not published this version of true love waits, honestly, its just too far different

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

It's asking me what format to use.  Might as well ask me what kind of Netflix would like to install.  I'll be doing most of my listening through my Android phone, if that helps.

What do I want here?
File sizes:
320kbit MP3 120MB
16-bit WAV 515MB
24-bit WAV 855MB

MP3

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

What do I want here?
File sizes:
320kbit MP3 120MB
16-bit WAV 515MB
24-bit WAV 855MB

Depends how much space you have, what you're listening on, if you can tell the diff or not.  The WAV files are better quality but mp3 smaller file. 3 minute breakdown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSyJHw6ipbg

MP3 added to phone, cannot wait to plug in headphones and walk home today.  Perfect weather, some newly procured legal herbs loaded and new Radiohead.  Pretty good little Tuesday here.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

You quit drinking.  You don't get to listen to Radiohead anymore.

When you come to your senses, though.....go here.

Thanks GB.  Found it, downloaded to my desktop, and then uploaded to Amazon Music, so I can now listen on the go :thumbup:

9 hours ago, Skoo said:

Like all of their stuff, it just gets better and better with every listen.

Best band on the planet.

Seriously. Who else puts out 8 albums that are ALL great? No one.

Who else is still making amazing, critically acclaimed albums 25 years after they make it big?

No one.

I love Radiohead, but a) I would not call The King of Limbs or Amnesiac great, and b) an album being critically acclaimed means nada. 

I can think of a few other artists that have eight albums in a row I would call very good or great, but the list is definitely small. 

11 hours ago, skycriesmary said:

:lmao: Gallagher's always been a giant ##### canoe. A jealous one at that. His band had a number of good songs you can count on one hand. Jesus man, grow up and get over it.

Both Gallagher brothers are tools. But their music is still fantastic. 

13 hours ago, Willie Neslon said:

:goodposting:

I've been a huge fan of theirs forever.  Heard the quote from a month ago or so where some knob claimed it would be like nothing you ever heard before.  Obviously it's not that, but it's not at all like what I expected (which is remarkably what has happened to me with almost every one of their releases).  Took me a few listens to feel it out but yesterday it finally sank in.  Such a great record.  Not going to displace OKC/Kid A from my top 2 but it feels like it easily competes with In Rainbows for #3.  

On May 10, 2016 at 10:57 PM, KarmaPolice said:

I couldn't disagree more as to True Love Waits. Stunningly beautiful piece of music. Maybe my favorite on the album at this point. 

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I couldn't disagree more as to True Love Waits. Stunningly beautiful piece of music. Maybe my favorite on the album at this point. 

:shrug:

Different strokes and all.  It has grown on me a little more, but still prefer the live version. 

At least we agree that the album overall is damn good. 

17 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I love Radiohead, but a) I would not call The King of Limbs or Amnesiac great, and b) an album being critically acclaimed means nada. 

I can think of a few other artists that have eight albums in a row I would call very good or great, but the list is definitely small. 

And yet, Amnesiac and TKOL are some people's favorite RH albums! Just a testament to how #$%$ing great they are. Everyone has a different personal ranking of their albums, and no one is wrong. Just a matter of preference.

I can't stress enough how much more I like the album when listening on good headphones. Really makes all the difference.

Last night was my 2nd time through on headphones, and I had that moment where I realized this album is spot-on from start to finish. Flawless.

Edited by Skoo

11 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Both Gallagher brothers are tools. But their music is still fantastic. 

some of their music is fantastic.  For all the criticism they want to throw at Radiohead, at least Radiohead never produced anything syrupy like "Don't Look Back in Anger" or "Wonderwall".  

On my 3rd or 4th listen now. :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Willie Neslon said:

:lmao:

There were two occasions yesterday on my walk home that I swore somebody was directly behind me, spinning me around like a ninja only to discover that no, that's just Radiohead dropping in little easter eggs of brilliance in quick sounds I'd never heard before.  Bet I looked like a freak to anybody who witnessed me whipping around for no reason in particular, like I was getting attacked by a phantom bird.

• Like 1

I keep reading people say it's a great album but not on par with OKC or KA. I say it's only been out 3 days.  Give it time. I honestly believe it could (could) be remembered as one of the greatest albums ever.  We can't know yet.  What we do know is the album has 11 tracks and of those 11 tracks eleven of them are stellar.  Ask a 11 fans what their favorite track is and you may get 11 different answers. How many albums can say that?

My advice if you haven't heard it yet is to just listen to it all the way through without judging it in any way. Just let your brain absorb what it can. Don't try to like it. Then go do something else and come back to it later.

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

some of their music is fantastic.  For all the criticism they want to throw at Radiohead, at least Radiohead never produced anything syrupy like "Don't Look Back in Anger" or "Wonderwall".  

Seriously blows my mind that that guy, of all people, is criticizing Radiohead as musicians and artists.  Have to be kidding me.

I've had it on loop since downloading last night.  Great stuff.

1 minute ago, Willie Neslon said:

I keep reading people say it's a great album but not on par with OKC or KA. I say it's only been out 3 days.  Give it time. I honestly believe it could (could) be remembered as one of the greatest albums ever.  We can't know yet.  What we do know is the album has 11 tracks and of those 11 tracks eleven of them are stellar.  Ask a 11 fans what their favorite track is and you may get 11 different answers. How many albums can say that?

My advice if you haven't heard it yet is to just listen to it all the way through without judging it in any way. Just let your brain absorb what it can. Don't try to like it. Then go do something else and come back to it later.

Agreed, 3 days is way too early to judge an album, especially a Radiohead album, against their other work.

I finally just decided to custy up and plunk down the $86 for the deluxe vinyl. I'm not usually one for buying vinyl or special edition box sets and such, but I get the feeling that this may become one of my favorite all-time albums and I don't wanna regret not buying when I had the chance.

Read somewhere that people have been switching Burn the With with Ful Stop in the track order.  It works really well.  

12 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I love "Don't Look Back In Anger". A little syrup is good for the soul. :)

9 minutes ago, Willie Neslon said:

I think part of the OKC / Kid A thing is that they came back to back.  I loved The Bends and was eagerly anticipating their third album, and it blew the doors off of my expectations.  As soon as I heard it, the debates about "best album of the 90s" or whatever were over.  So then three years later everyone's waiting for the next OK Computer, and instead they put out Kid A.  That the same band could make two consecutive albums that were so different but equally amazing just cements that era at the top of my personal rankings.  I really love this new album and as I said it's immediately up there with In Rainbows as a close #3 but it's hard to imagine anything ever displacing the top 2 for me.

• Like 2

Love the guitar riff in Identikit

20 hours ago, General Malaise said:

:lmao:

There were two occasions yesterday on my walk home that I swore somebody was directly behind me, spinning me around like a ninja only to discover that no, that's just Radiohead dropping in little easter eggs of brilliance in quick sounds I'd never heard before.  Bet I looked like a freak to anybody who witnessed me whipping around for no reason in particular, like I was getting attacked by a phantom bird.

Same here, listened to it in full for the first time on my run this morning. Head was on a swivel. And a few time what I thought were Radiohead noises ended up being cyclists coming up behind me, dogs barking, etc. Trippy...

10 hours ago, Willie Neslon said:

Awesome version of (the song) Kid A here.  Performance was 3 month before the album was released. Never heard it before.  Appreciate the song even more now. So great.

I wasn't on board with Kid A right away.  I was one of those guys that really just wanted OK Computer 2 for whatever reason.  I remember they "released" the album on DirecTV for listening early and I basically just sat there :mellow:  Then I started listening to some bootleg and saw them live a couple times, and listening to those songs live made me love them - Kid A, Morning Bell, and Idioteque especially.  Similar with In Rainbows and King of Limbs - watched the Basement Tapes (I hope they will have one for this album) and it got me into those albums much more.  Such a great live band.  Hint, hint Anarchy......

• Like 2

I know the world loves the new one, but I keep thinking/hoping they would evolve a bit more by now. They're still basically doing the same sound they pioneered almost 20 years ago. I guess don't fix it if it ain't broke, but they are kind of boring to me. Pleasant music that sounds like Radiohead.

2 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

I know the world loves the new one, but I keep thinking/hoping they would evolve a bit more by now. They're still basically doing the same sound they pioneered almost 20 years ago. I guess don't fix it if it ain't broke, but they are kind of boring to me. Pleasant music that sounds like Radiohead.

Odd, I don't think any of their albums sound that much alike since their first couple. 

• Like 2

This album is as much if not more of a grower than their last few. I'm still hearing new subtleties every time I listen to it. That being said, after listening to In Rainbows again, I'm struck by what a masterpiece that was, from start to finish. I have a hard time bumping that down from #3. 

Ok 1a > Kid A 1b > In Rainbows #3. Not that it matters, we all like what we like.

• Like 1

1 Reckoner
2 You And Whose Army?
3 Paranoid Android
4 Idioteque
5 Exit Music (For A Film)
6 All I Need
7 Airbag
8 Let Down
9 15 Step
10 Subterranean Homesick Alien
11 (Nice Dream)
12 Pyramid Song
13 Everything In Its Right Place
14 Planet Telex
15 Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
16 Dollars And Cents
17 The National Anthem
18 Kid A
19 Burn The Witch
20 2 + 2 = 5
21 Daydreaming
22 Fake Plastic Trees
23 Street Spirit (Fade Out)
24 No Surprises
25 Sulk
26 High & Dry
27 Decks Dark
28 Identikit
29 Electioneering
30 There There
31 Karma Police
32 Optimistic
33 Just
34 Sit Down, Stand Up
35 I Might Be Wrong
36 Pull / Pulk Revolving Doors
37 The Bends
38 True Love Waits
39 House Of Cards
40 Jigsaw Falling Into Place
41 Knives Out
42 Climbing Up The Walls
43 Bones
44 We Suck Young Blood
45 My Iron Lung
46 Ful Stop
47 Black Star
48 Bulletproof.. I Wish I Was
49 In Limbo
50 Creep
51 The Numbers
52 The Tourist
53 Morning Bell
54 Like Spinning Plates
55 Motion Picture Soundtrack
56 Desert Island Disk
57 Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
58 Faust Arp
59 Myxomatosis
60 Lucky
61 Packt Like Sardines In A Crushed Tin Box
62 Sail To The Moon
63 Nude
64 How to Disappear Completely
65 A Wolf At The Door
66 Present Tense
67 I Will
68 Lotus Flower
69 You
70 Where I End And You Begin
71 Glass Eyes
72 Feral
73 Little By Little
74 Stop Whispering
75 Prove Yourself
76 Bloom
77 Give Up The Ghost
78 Backdrifts
79 How Do You?
80 Ripcord
81 Thinking About You
82 A Punchup At A Wedding
83 Amnesiac / Morning Bell
84 Life In A Glass House
85 Scatterbrain
86 Go To Sleep
87 Blow Out
88 Anyone Can Play Guitar
89 Bodysnatchers
90 Codex
91 Vegetable
92 I Can't
93 Treefingers
94 The Gloaming
95 Morning Mr Magpie
96 Separator
97 Fitter Happier
98 Videotape
99 Lurgee

On 5/12/2016 at 0:39 PM, KarmaPolice said:

Odd, I don't think any of their albums sound that much alike since their first couple. 

This is light years from in rainbows