What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Radiohead (1 Viewer)

I've been really trying to get into RH because I feel like I'm "missing out" on one of the best rock bands of recent years.  I find myself enjoying some songs more than others (typically just have them on Spotify, shuffling through the catalog).  One thing that I'm still not "getting" is the love for Johnny Greenwood.  He seems like an excellent musician, but in listening to the guitarwork I don't feel like he's some guitar-savant.  He's just a guy that knows how to use effects pedals really well.  

I've been really trying to get into RH because I feel like I'm "missing out" on one of the best rock bands of recent years.  I find myself enjoying some songs more than others (typically just have them on Spotify, shuffling through the catalog).  One thing that I'm still not "getting" is the love for Johnny Greenwood.  He seems like an excellent musician, but in listening to the guitarwork I don't feel like he's some guitar-savant.  He's just a guy that knows how to use effects pedals really well.  
I'm not really qualified to weigh in on his technical ability but I think you said it yourself - the love for Jonny is for his overall contributions, not necessarily just as a guitarist.  I can't say that they'd be nothing without him because the rest of them are really talented too but for me, Jonny (almost as much or moreso than Thom) is what makes Radiohead, Radiohead.  

Edit: I mean that last bit quite literally, too.  "Creep" would've been a completely forgettable ballad (if it was ever noticed at all), and by extension Radiohead might never have amounted to anything, without Jonny slamming the guitar before the chorus.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there's some Steve Vai out there for you, GB.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGznHUXnLFw/

I happened to be in London and got to go to the May 26th show.  Absolutely fantastic, venue of around 1700.  About the 5th time I've seen them, first time I ever heard them play Talk Show Host.  

He's got the timing of a surgeon with all the syncopation and stuff they do and some really awesome, non-cliche solos. As a wannabe guitar guy myself, it kinda blows my mind that you would not be impressed. 

Awesome show last night.  Got GA tickets from WASTE and was able to walk in after opener to be virtually in front of Ed.  Let Down played for first time since 2006.  Know this one for many is not a favorite, but is for me and they just killed it.  Visuals stunning as ever.

Wish I was going tonight, as I am sure there will be drops today, but not in the cards

ETA:  while it is cool when home to watch the Periscopes, it is somewhat annoying when the folks in front of you are holding their phones up the whole f'n show.  Enjoy what you are seeing right in front of you rather than worrying about your social media addiction.  Probably in the minority here, and did not detract from the overall experience, but could have been that much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome show last night.  Got GA tickets from WASTE and was able to walk in after opener to be virtually in front of Ed.  Let Down played for first time since 2006.  Know this one for many is not a favorite, but is for me and they just killed it.  Visuals stunning as ever.

Wish I was going tonight, as I am sure there will be drops today, but not in the cards

ETA:  while it is cool when home to watch the Periscopes, it is somewhat annoying when the folks in front of you are holding their phones up the whole f'n show.  Enjoy what you are seeing right in front of you rather than worrying about your social media addiction.  Probably in the minority here, and did not detract from the overall experience, but could have been that much better.
Another possible revenue stream for bands, venues and periscope.  Have official "periscope" feeds only for sold out shows.  I'd be in for a bunch.

Another possible revenue stream for bands, venues and periscope.  Have official "periscope" feeds only for sold out shows.  I'd be in for a bunch.
I get it and if that emerges, that would be beneficial, as the bands would likely look to broadcast in more inobtrusive ways vs. direct from the audience members via their phones.  May have come off as an "old guy" rant...not my intent.

I get it and if that emerges, that would be beneficial, as the bands would likely look to broadcast in more inobtrusive ways vs. direct from the audience members via their phones.  May have come off as an "old guy" rant...not my intent.
No, I hear ya.  I wouldn't want someone in front of me with a phone the entire time....but I enjoy the fruits of their labor when I'm sitting on my couch and enjoying the show.

Good Posting Judge said:
I love Radiohead, and I don't know if Northern California's any different from anywhere else, but that festival is utterly miserable. 
How so? Just the size of it? That's my main concern is having to get to the main stage a couple hours early to get a decent view of the stage. Really don't want to have to watch with binoculars. 

How so? Just the size of it? That's my main concern is having to get to the main stage a couple hours early to get a decent view of the stage. Really don't want to have to watch with binoculars. 
A lot of people there don't really care about music. It's wallpaper to them. If you really enjoy listening to music and you just stop at one of those things and look around, it's kind of appalling. I went a couple years ago and saw Spoon, on the main stage, and about 5-6% of the people who were standing/sitting near the stage really seemed to be actively paying attention/caring. And I get if that band isn't your thing, but a lot of people were there, they just weren't there.

I think a lot of bands bite the bullet and do it for the money. But I'd far rather just pay $50 for a band I really like and be there with other people who are into it. And inside, preferably.

I guess if you get real close it doesn't matter. But it'd take a lot to get me out to one of those things again, especially what with having to shoo these ####### kids off my lawn and all.

A lot of people there don't really care about music. It's wallpaper to them. If you really enjoy listening to music and you just stop at one of those things and look around, it's kind of appalling. I went a couple years ago and saw Spoon, on the main stage, and about 5-6% of the people who were standing/sitting near the stage really seemed to be actively paying attention/caring. And I get if that band isn't your thing, but a lot of people were there, they just weren't there.

I think a lot of bands bite the bullet and do it for the money. But I'd far rather just pay $50 for a band I really like and be there with other people who are into it. And inside, preferably.

I guess if you get real close it doesn't matter. But it'd take a lot to get me out to one of those things again, especially what with having to shoo these ####### kids off my lawn and all.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'd much rather see them solo and not part of a festival crowd. That being said, it is what it is. Festivals attract people who just are there for the scene. I'm sure there are crossovers with the #####-canoes who film the whole freaking concert while blocking your view with their ### #### camera.  :rant:

Niiiiiice.  I didn't get into Radiohead until about 10 years ago, and Let Down was the song that really grabbed me to help finally convert me.  Great tune. 

I know the pearl jam fan groups on facebook always have a pinned post where they update the periscope feeds.  I'm not a member of any radiohead groups, but I assume they'd do the same :shrug:

I was thinking of standing outside the Shrine on Aug. 4th and try to get a deal.  Maybe 2/300.  B-day present for sister.  Either we get tickets or go to dinner.  Tickets are like 350/each online.  Any chance of this happening for 2/300?

Anyway I can ensure I don't get ripped off?

Freaking unreal show I've seen them seven times, and this was in the top 3. Outside Lands Admitting how subjective music taste is, they are one of the best live bands out there, period.

Set list from ACL last night.  They kilt it:

1. Burn The Witch2. Daydreaming3. Ful Stop4. My Iron Lung5. The National Anthem
6. All I Need
7. Pyramid Song
8. No Surprises
9. Bloom
10. Identikit
11. The Numbers
12. Bodysnatchers
13. The Gloaming
14. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
15. Nude
16. Everything In Its Right Place
17. Idioteque
[Encore]
18. Let Down
19. Present Tense
20. Reckoner
21. Paranoid Android
22. There There
23. Fake Plastic Trees

Set list from ACL last night.  They kilt it:

1. Burn The Witch2. Daydreaming3. Ful Stop4. My Iron Lung5. The National Anthem
6. All I Need
7. Pyramid Song
8. No Surprises
9. Bloom
10. Identikit
11. The Numbers
12. Bodysnatchers
13. The Gloaming
14. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
15. Nude
16. Everything In Its Right Place
17. Idioteque
[Encore]
18. Let Down
19. Present Tense
20. Reckoner
21. Paranoid Android
22. There There
23. Fake Plastic Trees
Wow Wow Wow

Tour dates announced

03-30 Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena04-01 Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena04-03 New Orleans, LA - Smoothie King Center04-05 Kansas City, MO - Sprint Center04-08 Seattle, WA - Key Arena04-09 Portland, OR - Moda Center04-11 Santa Barbara, CA - Santa Barbara Bowlo4-14 Indio, CA - Coachella04-17-18 Berkely, CA - Greek Theatre04-21 Indio, CA - Coachella06-06-07 Oslo, Norway - Spektrum06-09 Stockholm, Sweden - Ericsson Globe06-11 Aarhus, Denmark - Northside Festival06-14 Florence, Italy - Visarno Arena @ Parco Delle Cascine06-16 Milan, Italy - I-Days @ Parco di Monza06-18 Hilvarenbeek, Netherlands - Best Kept Secret Festival06-20 Dublin, Ireland - 3Arena06-23 Pilton, England - Glastonbury Festival06-28 Gdynia, Poland - Open’er Festival06-30 Werchter, Belgium - Rock Werchter07-02 Arras, France - Main Square Festival07-04-05 Manchester, England - Manchester Arena

I've never seen Radiohead.  They have been my favorite band since 1997's OK Computer release, even though I was a fan prior.  OK Computer was the album that vaulted Radiohead to the top and they have remained there ever since.  There's been a constant churning for number 2 in the last 20 years, but Radiohead is and will always be #1 to me.

I will see them April 9th.  100 level tickets.  I paid $114 for my ticket.  I would have paid 10 times that amount to see them.  

@urbanhack where are we meeting up?  

Got through this am for ATL.... only 1 ticket.. wtf? Did I get the last one? By the time I processed what was going on and went to buy it, it was sold out. 

Bah. Trying during main sale tomorrow i guess. 

I've never seen Radiohead.  They have been my favorite band since 1997's OK Computer release, even though I was a fan prior.  OK Computer was the album that vaulted Radiohead to the top and they have remained there ever since.  There's been a constant churning for number 2 in the last 20 years, but Radiohead is and will always be #1 to me.

I will see them April 9th.  100 level tickets.  I paid $114 for my ticket.  I would have paid 10 times that amount to see them.  

@urbanhack where are we meeting up?  
They are ####### phenomenal live.... prepare to have your brain melted a little :thumbup:

[icon] said:
Got through this am for ATL.... only 1 ticket.. wtf? Did I get the last one? By the time I processed what was going on and went to buy it, it was sold out. 

Bah. Trying during main sale tomorrow i guess. 
I got two for ATL this morning.  Hopefully you had better luck in the main sale.

Users who are viewing this thread