What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tomlin...is it time to go? (1 Viewer)

Huh?

Let me rephrase - which games lost are you pinning on the Coach?

1. @ NE Hmmm...should you try to argue they're good enough to win in Foxboro

4. BAL (Vick)

7. @ KC (Landry Jones)

8. CIN (Big Ben 3 INT)

12. @ SEA (538 yards, 4 INT)

16. @ BAL (2 INT)

Yeah, he should stop turning the ball over.

Big Ben has zero career playoff wins and one career playoff appearance when not playing with a defense ranked in the top 3.

Food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We take responsibility for our play today. It starts with me. It was not acceptable. We'll get to work to correct it."

Rinse, repeat.

Yes please fire Tomlin, so he can come to the Pack to replace McCarthy.

Blaming Tomlin for Big Ben and the Defense playing so bad? In the words of Cris Carter...

Huh?

4. BAL (Vick)

7. @ KC (Landry Jones)

8. CIN (Big Ben 3 INT)

16. @ BAL (2 INT)

I don't think he should go but poor coaching decisions contributed to many of those losses (including both Baltimore losses, Seattle and NE). He was out coached in all.

Huh?

4. BAL (Vick)

7. @ KC (Landry Jones)

8. CIN (Big Ben 3 INT)

16. @ BAL (2 INT)

I don't think he should go but poor coaching decisions contributed to many of those losses (including both Baltimore losses, Seattle and NE). He was out coached in all.
Packers and Steelers fans complaining about their coaches is pretty good schtick. You ####ers have no idea what inept coaching looks like.

I get that it's really frustrating losing twice to a bad Ravens team, but Tomlin isn't throwing befuddling interceptions or failing to make key stops.

I would grant their preparation the last two weeks seemed suboptimal. Not really sure how you could not be up for a divisional game. Against the team's fourth QB of the season, should have been able to steamroll Baltimore.

Gift for the Pats. Other playoff QBs are now Weeden, McCarron (or a guy who has never won a playoff game), Osweiler (or a HoF who was playing awful this year), Smith, and Fitz in the playoffs for the first time.

It's not out of the realm of possibility the Bills deny the Jets next week in Buffalo. They beat them in Met Life and they have an awesome rushing attack even without Shady. But never should have had to come down to that.

Please.

Some Steeler fans tend to over react.

Situation is pretty simple.

They have an insane offense but don't have a defense and they no longer have LeBeau.

Whenever fans call for a coaches head I always think "OK but who are you going to hire that is better"? Tomlin has his warts, especially in the area of clock-management, but he is a pretty good coach.

Ben and the defense played like crap yesterday -- it is tough to say whether it was lack of preparation or not but it wasn't Tomlin that was throwing picks, missing tackles and not applying pressure on Ryan Mallet.

Please.

They have an insane offense but don't have a defense and they no longer have LeBeau.
LeBeau's time has come and gone. The problem on defense isn't with the coaching staff, it is the lack of talent in the secondary and yesterday it was poor play from the front-7.

Huh?

4. BAL (Vick)

7. @ KC (Landry Jones)

8. CIN (Big Ben 3 INT)

16. @ BAL (2 INT)

Packers and Steelers fans complaining about their coaches is pretty good schtick. You ####ers have no idea what inept coaching looks like.

I get that it's really frustrating losing twice to a bad Ravens team, but Tomlin isn't throwing befuddling interceptions or failing to make key stops.

I would grant their preparation the last two weeks seemed suboptimal. Not really sure how you could not be up for a divisional game. Against the team's fourth QB of the season, should have been able to steamroll Baltimore.

Gift for the Pats. Other playoff QBs are now Weeden, McCarron (or a guy who has never won a playoff game), Osweiler (or a HoF who was playing awful this year), Smith, and Fitz in the playoffs for the first time.

It's not out of the realm of possibility the Bills deny the Jets next week in Buffalo. They beat them in Met Life and they have an awesome rushing attack even without Shady. But never should have had to come down to that.
Look I agree with you and that's why I said that Tomlin shouldn't go. There are so many bad coaches in the NFL (obviously you have familiarity with bad coaches) that Tomlin isn't even close to one of the worst. He's not a great Xs and Os type of coach but he seems like a good motivator and the players love him. That's enough for me given the state of coaching in the league right now. My only point is that his coaching decisions was as much of a contribution to anything else in at least 3 or 4 losses this year.

Whenever fans call for a coaches head I always think "OK but who are you going to hire that is better"? Tomlin has his warts, especially in the area of clock-management, but he is a pretty good coach.

Ben and the defense played like crap yesterday -- it is tough to say whether it was lack of preparation or not but it wasn't Tomlin that was throwing picks, missing tackles and not applying pressure on Ryan Mallet.
Yes but given Baltimore's defensive game plan, is it fair to say that the offensive play calling in the 2nd half was bad (to say the least)? They abandoned the run way too early (only down by 3 in the 3rd quarter) when clearly that was the most effective plan of attack against that defense. Ben didn't have it yesterday and they kept having him to try to force things. I get that this is what the Steelers offense is about but sometimes you just have to take what the defense is going to give you.

Huh?

4. BAL (Vick)

7. @ KC (Landry Jones)

8. CIN (Big Ben 3 INT)

16. @ BAL (2 INT)

Look I agree with you and that's why I said that Tomlin shouldn't go. There are so many bad coaches in the NFL (obviously you have familiarity with bad coaches) that Tomlin isn't even close to one of the worst. He's not a great Xs and Os type of coach but he seems like a good motivator and the players love him. That's enough for me given the state of coaching in the league right now. My only point is that his coaching decisions was as much of a contribution to anything else in at least 3 or 4 losses this year.
First half they ran the ball really well, but Baltimore was playing their safeties 20-25 yards off the LOS. I was a bit surprised when they went away from the run they kept trying to take deep shots. Should have had the underneath stuff open.

That should be on Haley, but I get it, buck stops here - ultimately it's Tomlin.

Please.

LeBeau's time has come and gone. The problem on defense isn't with the coaching staff, it is the lack of talent in the secondary and yesterday it was poor play from the front-7.
That was my point.

LeBeau got too old to coach effectively and it was time to move-on. They have been drafting heavily on defense but...

... Its not just the Steelers.

Look at Rex Ryan in Buffalo with allllllllllllll of that defensive talent he had and how that defensive scheme isn't working anymore. Just look at the inflated QB stats all over the league. The game has changed, the pendulum have swung in favor of QBs/passing offense and top passing teams will look unstoppable but if they don't have a defense it will catch up with them.

When the playoffs begin any team with a top QB and those who have great DCs/schemes and solid veteran defensive players and if they can run the ball on offense have the best shot to win it all.

NFL landscape is changing so teams are trying to figure out how to slow down the passing game. The press-man Rex Ryan scheme isn't working and I'm not sure what the Steelers can do but changing the HC isn't the answer.

OP is either very young, or on a post-Super Bowl loss fishing trip (or both), but what they heck...

NO! Tomlin is not going anywhere! Steelers over-performed (IMO) in a year where the defense is in a state of flux, had to dip deep into the QB roster, and lost their #1 weapon on offense.

I'd take 10 wins in a down year. I think the Steelers were great this year with everything that was thrown at them.

Tomlin's jekyl and hyde coaching is frustrating but he's an above average head coach who on his best years can get to the Super Bowl. I'm not sure you can want more than that with the guys like Chuck Pagano and Mike Pettine in HC spots. A great many people were predicting no better than last year, maybe even regression. The defense has been better under Butler despite the criticisms. They need to get a real CB and SS. This team should have beaten the Ravens twice this year and been 11-4 and in the drivers seat for a 12-4 season. So there is merit in Tomlin criticism but he will be in Pittsburgh as long as he wants if he goes 10-6 every year.

OP is either very young, or on a post-Super Bowl loss fishing trip (or both), but what they heck...

NO! Tomlin is not going anywhere! Steelers over-performed (IMO) in a year where the defense is in a state of flux, had to dip deep into the QB roster, and lost their #1 weapon on offense.
They never lost Antonio Brown. :no:

Tomlin reminds me a lot of Cowher...too good a coach to realistically replace, but a clear notch below the elite tier of coaches, so often outcoached in critical games.

Tomlin reminds me a lot of Cowher...too good a coach to realistically replace, but a clear notch below the elite tier of coaches, so often outcoached in critical games.
Cowher's teams did choke a bunch but it was bad coaching or bad QB play? Pretty hard to rise up in big critical games when Kordell and O'donnel are the best QB's you ever worked with until Ben came. Notice that even rookie year Ben finally got Cowher his Super Bowl and while he played a pretty poor game that day he had a big time game against Denver to get them there in the first place.

Cowher's teams did choke a bunch but it was bad coaching or bad QB play? Pretty hard to rise up in big critical games when Kordell and O'donnel are the best QB's you ever worked with until Ben came. Notice that even rookie year Ben finally got Cowher his Super Bowl and while he played a pretty poor game that day he had a big time game against Denver to get them there in the first place.
Rookie Ben lost a heart breaker to the Jets. 2nd year Ben got to the SB.

Rookie Ben lost a heart breaker to the Jets. 2nd year Ben got to the SB.
Actually rookie Ben lost pretty handily to the Patriots in the AFC championship game. They beat the Jets to get to that game but they were fairly lucky to beat the Jets.

I don't like Tomlin. I think he makes poor decisions regarding clock management and his teams continuously fail to make in-game adjustments. The Steelers play down to their competition too often and don't always have the killer instinct to put teams away that was always a trademark of Cowher's teams (as evidenced by Cowher's record when holding a 10 point lead at any point in the game). It's too often that my friends and I are left wondering what he was thinking.

That said, they'd be foolish to let him go. This team lost it's starting center and star RB, it's star QB for a few games, and had a defense lacking playmakers in the secondary and consistent pash-rushers up front. And despite that, they should still end up with 10 wins and a shot at the playoffs.

What did people really expect from the Steelers this year? This is a team that had a dynamic offense that lost it's best player, and a mediocre-at-best defense.... people jumped on the bandwagon because they're about the only team in the AFC with an offense capable of scoring with the Patriots.

They should've smashed the Ravens, and Tomlin's awful decision making led - at least in part - to their first loss against the Ravens this year. But I don't think this was better than a 10 win team regardless.

Arodin said:
Tomlin isn't nearly the coach that Cowher was.

To answer the question posed, no. Tomlin is a good coach, not great, but too much of a crap shoot to replace him with someone as good or better.

Arodin said:

To answer the question posed, no. Tomlin is a good coach, not great, but too much of a crap shoot to replace him with someone as good or better.
I agree with the bolded. I also think the last sentence applied to Cowher as well.

Arodin said:

I agree with the bolded. I also think the last sentence applied to Cowher as well.
Cowher was a great coach. To accomplish what he did with the likes of Kordell, Tomczak, O'Donnell, Maddox at QB was remarkable, and he finally won the big one when Ben was in his 2nd year. People can talk all they want about failures in the AFCC and Super Bowl, but when you're facing the likes of Elway, Aikman, and Brady in those games without anything remotely close to that level, you're up against it no matter how good your defense is or where the game is played.

If people want to then fault Cowher for never addressing the QB position, that's a fair criticism. But I don't believe Tomlin would have anywhere NEAR as much success as Cowher if he hadn't walked into such a nice situation.

Tomlin isn't going anywhere. They have a great nucleus on offense that will win games for several years to come. And Tomlin always has the locker room. He's a motivator. They bounce back from bad losses. While I don't like his auto-pilot interviews he's a good coach.

I'll pack up his house and drive the U Haul to New York if he can take over for Coughlin.

He's basically the only guy I want to replace him

Tomlin is a very average to slightly good coach. Who landed in a great position, and hasn't done much, he is Barry Switzer/George Siefert 2.0. Every year he is good for 3-4 losses just doing dumb Tomlin desicions. Lebeau and Ben has bailed him out in the past, it just too bad that Ben's good years are being wasted on this ####tard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as players grow, coaches grow too. And that is concerning to me regarding Tomlin, as he is still making the same errors he did in his early years. Clock management, adjustments, playing to level of competition, etc....

People like him for his image and stature on the field. The truth is he doesn't motivate or innovate. Steelers arguably have best reciever and rb in football. Same reactions, same cliches,,, same results.

Users who are viewing this thread