Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
GROOT

Mike Tomlin...is it time to go?

2 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I doubt it.  The Oakland loss means that they will probably have to beat either the Patriots or the Saints (and then not choke against the Bengals).

The Steelers will beat the Bengals and should beat the Patriots. 

25 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

They always get killed by the Patriots, good luck.

Not always. They would've won last year and won the #1 seed if the catch rule had changed to what it is now. 

They normally score plenty but fail to adjust on defense in any meaningful way, and they play zone defense, give the receivers big cushions, and get picked apart by Brady. I have no faith that the Steelers' coaching staff will adjust how they attack the Patriots, and I have very little faith that they'll win. Maybe they'll surprise me this week, but I doubt it.

I think the Steelers will lose to the Pats and the Saints and ultimately fall from 7-2-1 to missing the playoffs at 8-7-1.

39 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Not always. They would've won last year and won the #1 seed if the catch rule had changed to what it is now

While that is true, it's not the reason they lost.  Ben threw a horrible pick after that play was correcrly overturned based on the rule last year.

Also, while we are bashing Tomlin, it looked like everyone was standing around waiting for the relay official to return with his verdict.  Instead, they should have have been working on the next play in case they needed it.  

Back to Ben, the pick was a million times worse because he forced it to someone not named AB or JuJu and they were in chip shot FG range to tie the game - and Boswell was actually good last year so he would have made it.

That loss is 100% on Ben

Edited by Steeler
Hard to type on phone

5 minutes ago, Steeler said:

While that is true, it's not the reason they lost.  Ben threw a horrible pick after that play was correcrly overturned based on the rule last year.

Also, while we are bashing Tomlin, it looked like everyone was standing around waiting for the relay official to return with his verdict.  Instead, they should have have been working on the next play in case they needed it.  

Back to Ben, the pick was a million times worse because he forced it to someone not named AB or JuJu and they were in chip shot FG range to the the game - and Boswell was actually good last year so he would have made it.

That loss is 100% on Ben

Agreed that it was an awful interception. That said, Ben doesn't deserve 100% of the blame when the TD should've already been scored... doesn't take away from how bad that INT was or how unprepared they seemed when it was ruled incomplete.

It's nitpicking at this point. Just used that game to point out that the Steelers don't always get blown out by the Pats. I don't expect a win, but I do expect yet another frustrating loss.

8 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

That said, Ben doesn't deserve 100% of the blame when the TD should've already been scored

Sure he does.  There is no asterisk on that pick to indicate the Steelers would have scored on the previous play if the NFL Rules were different.  Also, the call was 100% correct based on the rules last year so the TD should not have counted and the play was correctly ruled.  I just have a pet-peeve about blaming officials and any mention of that non-TD costing the Steelers the game causes a knee-jerk reaction and I have to post about it.

1 hour ago, Steeler said:

Back to Ben, the pick was a million times worse because he forced it to someone not named AB or JuJu and they were in chip shot FG range to tie the game - and Boswell was actually good last year so he would have made it.

That loss is 100% on Ben

There was a dropped pick thrown by Brady that would have sealed the victory.     Plenty of blame to go around...

2 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

There was a dropped pick thrown by Brady that would have sealed the victory.     Plenty of blame to go around...

Right.  But whatever transpired up to that point in the game is meaningless - from that point forward they had a chance to win and the awful pick was the play that finally sealed their fate.

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The Steelers will beat the Bengals and should beat the Patriots. 

😄

Edited by Casting Couch

If that bengals game means something as far as making or missing playoffs.. you will be in for fight of your lives.. just watch (remembering confident ravens fans last season)

If ever the Steelers were to get off the snide to beat the Patriots, this would be the year. Must-win game at home, powerful offense, Pats aren’t world-beaters. That said, they’d need to be up by 20 at half so as to not lose in the second half, given how the Patriots will out-adjust the Steelers at halftime. I think the Black and Gold lead by ten at half and so will ultimately lose by seven, 38-31.

5 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

So losing close once in a while is good?

It was just last year. The last time they played. And this was in response to the upcoming game being the point of emphasis.

Not "once in a while".  Had it been 3 years ago, wouldn't have brought it up.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

7 minutes ago, GROOT said:

If the Steelers miss the playoffs...It's time 

Why did you have to edit a one sentence reply? 

:lmao:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Why did you have to edit a one sentence reply? 

:lmao:

Changed the “,” to a “...”    :mellow:

• Like 1

I think he gets another season.  If playoffs are missed next season, then it's for sure time.  Starting to feel like one of those Reid/Eagles situations where things are just getting stale, but both sides are just better off in the future with a split.

that fake punt thingy yesterday was a fall on the sword moment.you get that first down you coach next year.you miss on that ridiculously stupid play call on your own side of the field against Brees, ilate in the 4th q on the road, and you're shown the door at the end of week 17s games.plain and simple.it was stupidity at it's finest.even if they won it was stupidity.

now, in Mr T-in-training's defense, the refs called perhaps the worst game seen all year. it's going to be the posterchild for 'switch to college PI rules to save the NFL!' for 2019. something has to change. those refs f'd up that game in the WORST way..

the three passes to washington,late, were horrific. AB , triple team, is still better than 99% of WR's in single coverage.and yet he gets one pass , late.and that's on Tomlin he needs to set the OC straight there..

don't care if he gets another job in 32 seconds. let him.good riddance.1 sb in how many years of coaching with one of the top 10 QBs of all time? please. If McCarthy gets the axe in GB, Mr T gets the axe in Pitt.

The Oakland & Denver losses alone should have him out the door. But it will never happen as many in here have said. At least I'll have next Sunday free since they are out of the playoffs, and i won't have to watch that dope make more mistakes.

Edited by irish eyes

22 minutes ago, BusterTBronco said:

Please don't fire Tomlin.

Sincerely,

The Rest of the NFL

The Steelers organization has no idea what a laughing stock their own coach is to the rest of the league.

I still don't think Tomlin should be fired. But Keith Butler sounds like he's heading to ESPN to replace Stephen A. Smith

Keith Butler says Tyler Eifert will be a challenge for the Pittsburgh Steelers this Sunday.

I have good news for Butler. Eifert is on injured reserve with a broken ankle. Challenge accepted.

It’s another frustrating moment for the Steelers’ defensive coordinator, who made the comments in his sitdown with Bob Labriola on this week’s Coordinator’s Corner. Most of the interview was fine. Short, sweet, the generalities we’ve heard from the coaching staff all season. There’s improvement, we still gotta get better, nothing counts unless we win. Inoffensive, predictable, all that boring jazz.

Until the last question.

“I think he’s very good,” Butler said on Eifert. “He’s up there. He can get deep on you. He does a good job of catching the ball downfield. So he’s going to be a problem for us to cover.”

To be fair, Butler was asked about Eifert, he didn’t bring him up on his own. Still. C’mon Keith. Know who the opponent has. I’m not asking for much.

Edited by zftcg

Rudolph didn't get the reps. Dobbs did. Are they even ready for the future? 

New coach brings a ton of changes including staff and personnel. Are you ready for all that?

I love Munchak. The Steelers would have to be ready to do whatever it takes to keep him. Paying an OL coach a ridiculous sum is better than the alternative.

If Ben retires and Bell leaves, I could make the bold statement they wont be very good without Munchak. The RBs suddenly don't have huge holes, the sacks add up and it's like what did we do? 

Best OL coach ever and many in the NFL are meh

On 12/24/2018 at 9:37 AM, Tanner9919 said:

that fake punt thingy yesterday was a fall on the sword moment.you get that first down you coach next year.you miss on that ridiculously stupid play call on your own side of the field against Brees, ilate in the 4th q on the road, and you're shown the door at the end of week 17s games.plain and simple.it was stupidity at it's finest.even if they won it was stupidity.

now, in Mr T-in-training's defense, the refs called perhaps the worst game seen all year. it's going to be the posterchild for 'switch to college PI rules to save the NFL!' for 2019. something has to change. those refs f'd up that game in the WORST way..

the three passes to washington,late, were horrific. AB , triple team, is still better than 99% of WR's in single coverage.and yet he gets one pass , late.and that's on Tomlin he needs to set the OC straight there..

don't care if he gets another job in 32 seconds. let him.good riddance.1 sb in how many years of coaching with one of the top 10 QBs of all time? please. If McCarthy gets the axe in GB, Mr T gets the axe in Pitt.

You think Roethlisburger is one of the top 10 of all time??  lol  He barely cracks the top ten during the years he's been playing.  Take your blinders off.  He simply started the trend for a QB to be too fat to tackle.  Its all he's got.  numbers are all based off everyone around him being good, which is the only reason he even gets mentioned.  

Dude wouldv'e been out of the league 5 years ago if he had gone to Tampa.

I get frustration with Tomlin but some of you need a history lesson.  This team does not conduct business like the other 31 teams.  It's been 50 years since they last fired a head coach and while a likely 9-6-1 season  is disappointing, even with excuse of essentially committing $25M in salary cap space for two players who did not play this year, it's still far from enough for an organization that prides itself on stability to make a head coaching change.

Unless he wants out he's back in 2019 and if he comes up short again maybe it's time, not there yet.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:10 AM, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Somehow I think baker beats the ravens for the Steelers

Realistically I put Browns odds in the 30'ish percentile but I just got a feeling they are going to get it done. I know I liked Browns chances of winning in Baltimore more then  I liked Baltimores chances of winning in LA last week.

This convo seems nuts. His record is terrific, things can go south quickly with a new guy. Tomlin’s been winning divisions and making the playoffs almost every year.  The Steelers were once the worst franchise in the NFL, they have had Noll, Cowher & Tomlin since and they’ve been arguably the best. Stick with the continuity and tradition and consider yourself lucky.

3 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

This convo seems nuts. His record is terrific, things can go south quickly with a new guy. Tomlin’s been winning divisions and making the playoffs almost every year.  The Steelers were once the worst franchise in the NFL, they have had Noll, Cowher & Tomlin since and they’ve been arguably the best. Stick with the continuity and tradition and consider yourself lucky.

Oh there is no way the ownership fires him

4 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Oh there is no way the ownership fires him

Agreed. They have had 3 coaches in the last 150 years.

i agree that there is no way he gets fired and i also think that there is a good chance that the browns win this sunday.  Honestly feel like the Steelers have about 50-50 chance of making the playoffs overall.

8 hours ago, Caesar said:

You think Roethlisburger is one of the top 10 of all time??  lol  He barely cracks the top ten during the years he's been playing.  Take your blinders off.  He simply started the trend for a QB to be too fat to tackle.  Its all he's got.  numbers are all based off everyone around him being good, which is the only reason he even gets mentioned.  

Right now, Roethlisburger leads the league in passing yards, passing attempts, and passing completions. He also has 33 touchdowns. Not bad for a 36 year old fattie, right?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Caesar said:

The hatred is deep in this one.   :loco: 

ETA - top 10 of all time?  Yeah probably not.  The rest of your post is a joke.

Edited by fred_1_15301

To do what Tomlin does with that team is amazing. HUGE HUGE mistake if they make a change.  He wouldn't last a week before the head coach somewhere in the league, hell.......Cincy?

He is a keeper.

Without question that guy in the foxhole that would have you thinking you actually stood a chance knives vs tanks. Born leader.

Edited by ZenoRazon

The quick rule of thumb question on stuff like this is, how many teams would "trade" their HC for Tomlin? Has to be more than half I would think...

8 hours ago, habsfan said:

The quick rule of thumb question on stuff like this is, how many teams would "trade" their HC for Tomlin? Has to be more than half I would think...

Maybe a quarter. He’s not terrible but below average. Biggest problem is it’s hard to see them winning another super bowl with him. Wasting the window they have left with Roethisberger.

Edited by voiceofunreason

11 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

Maybe a quarter. He’s not terrible but below average. Biggest problem is it’s hard to see them winning another super bowl with him. Wasting the window they have left with Roethisberger.

I bet 20 teams would ditch their coach for Tomlin in a heartbeat. I get the bashing as I don’t think he is a great game day coach and he has not done as much with talent as he should, but he’d still be an upgrade for many, many teams.

1 hour ago, pecorino said:

I bet 20 teams would ditch their coach for Tomlin in a heartbeat. I get the bashing as I don’t think he is a great game day coach and he has not done as much with talent as he should, but he’d still be an upgrade for many, many teams.

But if he's not a game day coach and clearly has as little to do with the offense and defensive gameplan as any coach in the league, what is he actually doing that's good? I honestly don't really get what makes him a good coach. 

2 hours ago, voiceofunreason said:

But if he's not a game day coach and clearly has as little to do with the offense and defensive gameplan as any coach in the league, what is he actually doing that's good? I honestly don't really get what makes him a good coach. 

He is smart, personable, gives a great interview, is a player’s coach (which has gone way too far IMO, as they have been an undisciplined bunch for years). He is a leader among coaches as a member of the competition committee. Also he has been to two Super Bowls and won one, and playoffs more often than not. 

1 hour ago, pecorino said:

He is smart, personable, gives a great interview, is a player’s coach (which has gone way too far IMO, as they have been an undisciplined bunch for years). He is a leader among coaches as a member of the competition committee. Also he has been to two Super Bowls and won one, and playoffs more often than not. 

• The Steelers have been to one conference championship game since 2010.
  • Getting to the playoffs more often than not sounds great, but when you've had a Hall of Fame QB for your entire coaching tenure and a relatively weak division for most of the time, that's not really a noteworthy accomplishment. 
  • Smart, maybe. But not when it comes to in-game management, and that's kind of important when his head-scratching decisions at big moments have led directly to losses and his teams continually lose games they shouldn't lose year after year.
  • Giving a great interview is meaningless. He speaks well but says nothing better than most.
  • I agree that being a player's coach has led to the team becoming increasingly undisciplined for a while now.
  • Being a "leader" on the competition committee also means nothing when it comes to reasons he should coach the Steelers.
  • It's great that he's won a Super Bowl, primarily with a defense that was left from the team that won it three years earlier. Even that team was a Wild Card team that got red hot at the right time.
  • He took over a team that was 8-8 the year before because of Ben's motorcycle accident and a few other things, but they had gone a combined 26-6 the two years before that.

The Steelers won't fire him. Personally, I don't think he'd be as hard to replace as some people would want to believe. There's absolutely nothing special about him as a coach. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Big Ben is a great QB, but let's not lie to ourselves that he's in the same conversation as Peyton, Brady, and others before him. He's mistake-prone, and an unlikable finger-pointer. I doubt the Steelers org feels like they've "wasted" his window when they look at the Super Bowl trophy case.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 1:04 PM, menobrown said:

I get frustration with Tomlin but some of you need a history lesson.  This team does not conduct business like the other 31 teams.  It's been 50 years since they last fired a head coach and while a likely 9-6-1 season  is disappointing, even with excuse of essentially committing $25M in salary cap space for two players who did not play this year, it's still far from enough for an organization that prides itself on stability to make a head coaching change.

Unless he wants out he's back in 2019 and if he comes up short again maybe it's time, not there yet.

I agree.  No way ownership fires tomlin.  

After the season ends today we'll hear one his patented garbage regurgitated interviews that means nothing . Then most people will get their wish and he will be coaching another year or more, and we'll have to endure more disappointment and excuses. Along with, hey the Steelers have only had 3 coaches in however many years. Let the mediocrity continue, yay.

The defense of Tomlin is so dumb. It’s a surface level argument. Oh, well, he’s won so everything else is forgivable. No. The locker room and on field discipline has been damn near non existent for awhile now. Big picture the penalties don’t look terrible compared to the rest of the league but I know from my own experiences that they happen at the most inopportune and stupid moments that great coaches do not tolerate (similar with handing Steven Ridley, known fumbler, the ball on a clutch 3rd down run). 

The play calling on defense has been bad and while the offense is awesome, they let Ben do stupid things at the goal line and completely abandon the run when it would be advantageous to use. 

It’s been a nice run for Tomlin but it’s not the first time a mediocre coach has been able to have sustained success due to the talent of the actual on field players. Jeff Fisher went to a Super Bowl before people called him bad, Jim Caldwell almost had an undefeated Colts team, Barry Switzer went to two Super Bowl’s and won one... Tomlin isn’t great and if you’re not great and you’re costing crucial wins against bottom feeders like Oakland and Denver when you’re in the drivers seat for the division and then piling on with a clutch loss in NO that should have been a win. It’s time to move on and at this rate they are going to be a year or two too late to realize it. God help us if they march into the post Ben era with Tomlin running Dobbs out there. 

My suggestion, because why complain without a solution, is if the Browns don’t want to make Kitchens their HC go get Kitchens. Guy has been nothing but impressive with taking over the clown show that was a Haley/Hue led offense in Cleveland with rookies and a non existent WR corps. Former players and Bruce Arians have praised him and Baker seems to love the guy. It would simultaneously hurt the Browns and be a breath of fresh air for the Steelers. 

Edited by Iceman03

15 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

The defense of Tomlin is so dumb. It’s a surface level argument. Oh, well, he’s won so everything else is forgivable.

No one said that Tomlin is without fault but many of us (including the Steelers FO) think he's a pretty good coach.   Winning is the ultimate measure of success for a head coach so yeah it's kind of important.  

I am all for finding a new special teams coach and defensive coordinator but no way I fire Tomlin.  I am not sure what Freddie Kitchens has accomplished that makes you think he is better but I'm not convinced.   

20 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

No one said that Tomlin is without fault but many of us (including the Steelers FO) think he's a pretty good coach.   Winning is the ultimate measure of success for a head coach so yeah it's kind of important.  

I am all for finding a new special teams coach and defensive coordinator but no way I fire Tomlin.  I am not sure what Freddie Kitchens has accomplished that makes you think he is better but I'm not convinced.   

While I agree, you have to look at the circumstances as well.

Tomlin inherited what was basically a Super Bowl team, one that had a HOF QB at a young age and the top defense in the league.  I give him about as much credit for his Super Bowl win as I do Switzer for his with Dallas in 1995 (see: not a whole lot). 

Tomlin is like the AFC version of Mike McCarthy: a good coach, but one who has underachieved big time given the HOF QB he has had (and the Steelers overall have been far more talented over the years than the Packers).   If McCarthy can get the axe mid-season despite having won 62% of his games over nearly 12 seasons, then Tomlin should be on the hot seat following a season in which they collapsed after a 7-2-1 start and missed the playoffs (assuming Baltimore does not #### the bed today).  One AFCCG and ZERO Super Bowls in the last five years despite having a HOF QB, the best WR of your generation and consistently top production from whoever your starting RB is, is unforgivable.  It just is. 

Edited by Ghost Rider

17 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Missing the playoffs because of blown games against some of the league’s worst at the peak of a window is not winning. There seems to be some false correlation around here. We criticize Marvin Lewis for not being able to win in the playoffs and him being an undeserving HC because of that. Look at Tomlin’s run from 2011 and what do you see? 1 Conference Championship appearance with a Super Bowl caliber team all 7 years? I mean those suggesting who would do better... who would do worse with this talented team?

• Like 1