What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tomlin...is it time to go? (2 Viewers)

Someone actually said to me tonight,  if Steelers had a competant kicker earlier in the season they would be in the playoffs. That's not tomlin's fault. I turned and walked away, I couldn't believe they actually said it.

Someone actually said to me tonight,  if Steelers had a competant kicker earlier in the season they would be in the playoffs. That's not tomlin's fault. I turned and walked away, I couldn't believe they actually said it.
Not for nothing but Boswell was really good in 2017 :shrug:

I agree with you and thankfully the Steelers organization thinks in a similar way.  However, I've come to the conclusion (based on this thread) that fans don't need to be held to that same standard since they wouldn't be held accountable for making the change.
For sure. Fans always want to go for it on 4th down or fire the coach. That's just life. 

Not for nothing but Boswell was really good in 2017 :shrug:
Okay but he sucked for all of 2018, and he had no business being on the field. He cost them numerous games and Tomlin just didn't care. Many people posting in here agree it wa beyond negligant. But I'm done, you will all get your wish & have the same clown show for much too long

Can you elaborate? 

Boswell went from being an All-Pro kicker in 2017 making 92% of his kicks to just making 65% of his kicks this year. Are you saying that's Tomlin's fault? 

Okay but he sucked for all of 2018, and he had no business being on the field. He cost them numerous games and Tomlin just didn't care. Many people posting in here agree it wa beyond negligant. But I'm done, you will all get your wish & have the same clown show for much too long
Serious question when would you have cut Boswell?

My point is. Boswell was 85 for 95 the prior 3 years. He has a super bad year. You cut him mid year? You still have his salary cap on the  books and then bring in a mid season guy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought,

If Baker Mayfield doesn't miss the throw to Jarvis Landry or throw the interception and Greg Joseph kicks a field goal and Steelers are playing in the Wild Card, does Tomlin deserve to be fired then? 

Another thought,

If Baker Mayfield doesn't miss the throw to Jarvis Landry or throw the interception and Greg Joseph kicks a field goal and Steelers are playing in the Wild Card, does Tomlin deserve to be fired then? 
There sure are a lot "if this" and "what could have been" with this season.  Not saying Tomlin should be fired but just a frustrating season as a Steeler fan.  This was team 7-2-1 and probably about a 90% probability to make the playoffs.  And they just let it slip away.  

Can you elaborate? 

Boswell went from being an All-Pro kicker in 2017 making 92% of his kicks to just making 65% of his kicks this year. Are you saying that's Tomlin's fault? 
It is absolutely tomlins fault. He let him keep  kicking, well  actually not kicking. Everyone was screaming half way through the season to can him. I guess I'm in the twilight zone, this is not some revelation.  It is one of the many boneheaded tomlin decisions. 

Serious question when would you have cut Boswell?

My point is. Boswell was 85 for 95 the prior 3 years. He has a super bad year. You cut him mid year? You still have his salary cap on the  books and then bring in a mid season guy...
I don't know when exactly they could have made the decision to go with another kicker but Boswell cost them several games and looked shaky (to say the least) most of the year.  To his credit, he seemed to turn it around a little near the end.  But Tomlin stuck with him for better or worse.  

Good teams don't lose to the Raiders. That wasn't Boswell's fault.  Steelers just aren't a good team this year. :shrug:
The Steelers were an average team this year based on their record and their play on the field.  But this team could have been so much better - one of the most frustrating seasons in recent memory.  They continued to shoot themselves in the foot with missed FGs, crippling INTs and fumbles at the most inopportune times, and a defense that very rarely stepped up to make plays at crunch time.  This whole off season will be "what could have been" for this franchise.

It is absolutely tomlins fault. He let him keep  kicking, well  actually not kicking. Everyone was screaming half way through the season to can him. I guess I'm in the twilight zone, this is not some revelation.  It is one of the many boneheaded tomlin decisions. 
Is Tomlin 100% responsible for these kinds of roster decisions?  Honest question as I don't know the answer.

Serious question. How many kicks does your All-Pro kicker coming off a 92% year get to miss before you cut him? 

There sure are a lot "if this" and "what could have been" with this season.  Not saying Tomlin should be fired but just a frustrating season as a Steeler fan.  This was team 7-2-1 and probably about a 90% probability to make the playoffs.  And they just let it slip away.  
Not really though. The Browns had a great chance to win today. If they had won, are we having this same conversation?

How many kicks does your All-Pro kicker coming off a 92% year get to miss before you cut him? 
Not sure but if you watched Boswell kick for most of the year, it was pretty clear that he had the yips.  I think he missed 6 extra points?  And they weren't necessarily even close.  There was something wrong with his head this year and that should have been clear to management.  Unfortunately that happens to some kickers.  

Not really though. The Browns had a great chance to win today. If they had won, are we having this same conversation?
They absolutely let it slip away.  Their season was defined in 3 straight losses to Denver, Oakland and S.D.  All 3 games that they probably should have won but lost by essentially shooting themselves in the foot in some way or another.  Let's not forget the win against Jacksonville where they actually should have lost.  A team that is 7-2-1 and had a strangle hold on the division ended up having to rely on the Browns.  

Slipping in the back door after starting 7-2-1 is a bad look.

They hardly beat a very bad team today with it all on the line. They lost in a very important game to another very bad team in Oakland.

I’m not answering the question one way or the other, but I think you need to ask why that happened.

A team that is as talented as the Steelers shouldn't be relying on another team losing in Week 17 to make the playoffs. 
Ok. So if the Steelers were preparing for their Playoff game this weekend, you're still saying Fire Tomlin?

Ok So if the Steelers were preparing for their Playoff game this weekend, you're still saying Fire Tomlin?
Considering I have said several times that I am not advocating for Tomlin to be fired, several times when replying to you directly, it feels like you are just repeating talking points rather than addressing the actual points I and others are making. 

This topic was started several years ago, so the answer to your question is... not this week :)   If the Browns won this week and the Steelers made the playoffs, this thread would be bumped when the Steelers lost their next playoff game.

Considering I have said several times that I am not advocating for Tomlin to be fired, several times when replying to you directly, it feels like you are just repeating talking points rather than addressing the actual points I and others are making. 
Sorry. I haven't read every thread. When you said this I thought you meant a change is needed. If not Tomlin, what are you suggesting they change?

Sometimes a change is needed, even if you don't have someone in-waiting.  Plenty of head coaches better than Mike Tomlin have been fired in football and other sports when said team didn't have someone ready to step in and do a better job.  Now, you could argue that team-x or team-y made a mistake in doing it that way, and I am not necessarily saying that Tomlin should be fired, merely that if he were, I would understand.  This team underachieves year after year after year. At what point is Mike Tomlin held accountable for the team consistently underachieving under his watch? 
And I don't have any "talking points". I'm just trying to understand people who would like to make a change in Pittsburgh's head coaching job. 

This topic was started several years ago, so the answer to your question is... not this week :)   If the Browns won this week and the Steelers made the playoffs, this thread would be bumped when the Steelers lost their next playoff game.
Thanks. I think you're probably right. 

It amazes me how everyone thinks of him as a God. Listen to his press conference tomorrow and it will be the same thing he said 10 years ago 

So a conference championship game 2 years ago is under achieving?  Serious question
What happened in Oakland? He thought he could win the game without Big Ben, by the time he realized he couldn’t, it was too late... At least that’s how it looked to me.

What happened today? They hardly beat the depleted Bengals (who stunk before all the injuries).

Sorry. I haven't read every thread. When you said this I thought you meant a change is needed. If not Tomlin, what are you suggesting they change?

And I don't have any "talking points". I'm just trying to understand people who would like to make a change in Pittsburgh's head coaching job. 
I have said it in this thread tonight when replying to you directly. :confused:  

Plenty of changes can happen.  There are plenty of examples over the years of head coaches being retained under the condition that they make this change or that change.  Keeping the status quo in Pittsburgh seems like a recipe for the team continuing to underachieve. 

Do you agree that the team has underachieved in the last eight seasons? 

Anyways, I think if they perform poorly next year, then this becomes a more serious conversation.

For now, he isn’t going anywhere.

I have said it in this thread tonight when replying to you directly. :confused:  

Plenty of changes can happen.  There are plenty of examples over the years of head coaches being retained under the condition that they make this change or that change.  Keeping the status quo in Pittsburgh seems like a recipe for the team continuing to underachieve. 

Do you agree that the team has underachieved in the last eight seasons? 
I haven't read everything you've written to me. Sorry. Juggling a few things. So I understand what you're saying, you're saying don't fire Tomlin, but only under the condition he makes this or that change?

What changes would those be for you?

Anyways, I think if they perform poorly next year, then this becomes a more serious conversation.

For now, he isn’t going anywhere.
IF they perform poorly?. How many ifs do fans have to endure. So waste ANOTHER year? Has no one seen this train going down the wrong track.

So a conference championship game 2 years ago is under achieving?  Serious question
It's the only one they've been to since 2010 while having a HOF QB and a relatively weak division during that period.

Yes, it is. 

I don't dispute what his reputation is, and I don't think the Steelers will fire him even as the same problems with his teams present themselves year after year after year. But, as I've said before, I don't think he's nearly as irreplaceable as some people want to believe he is. 

Tomlin's records

2018 9-6-1 2nd AFC North

2017 13-3-0 1st -- AFC North 0-1 - Advanced to Divisional Playoffs

2016 11-5-0 1st -- AFC North 2-1 - Lost Conference Championship

2015 10-6-0 2nd -- AFC North 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs

2014 11-5-0 1st -- AFC North 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs

2013 8-8-0 2nd -- AFC North

2012 8-8-0 3rd -- AFC North

2011 12-4-0 2nd -- AFC North 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs

2010 12-4-0 1st -- AFC North 2-1 - Lost Superbowl

2009 9-7-0 3rd -- AFC North

2008 12-4-0 1st -- AFC North 3-0 - Won Superbowl

2007 10-6-0 1st -- AFC North 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs

If you ask me have they underachieved over this time, I'm going to say no. 

Do you look at that record and think they've underachieved?

IF they perform poorly?. How many ifs do fans have to endure. So waste ANOTHER year? Has no one seen this train going down the wrong track.
I haven’t followed them closely enough to have a real opinion one way or the other, I’m simply speaking facts - he isn’t being fired this year, if they play badly and miss the playoffs next year, I think this becomes a real conversation.

Yes. I haven't read everything you've written to me. Sorry. Juggling a few things. So I understand what you're saying, you're saying don't fire Tomlin, but only under the condition he makes this or that change?

What changes would those be for you?
That is not what I said.  Please reread my posts. 

Tomlin's records

2018 9-6-1 2nd AFC North

2017 13-3-0 1st -- AFC North 0-1 - Advanced to Divisional Playoffs

2016 11-5-0 1st -- AFC North 2-1 - Lost Conference Championship

2015 10-6-0 2nd -- AFC North 1-1 - Lost Divisional Playoffs

2014 11-5-0 1st -- AFC North 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs

2013 8-8-0 2nd -- AFC North

2012 8-8-0 3rd -- AFC North

2011 12-4-0 2nd -- AFC North 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs

2010 12-4-0 1st -- AFC North 2-1 - Lost Superbowl

2009 9-7-0 3rd -- AFC North

2008 12-4-0 1st -- AFC North 3-0 - Won Superbowl

2007 10-6-0 1st -- AFC North 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs

If you ask me have they underachieved over this time, I'm going to say no. 

Do you look at that record and think they've underachieved?
No playoff wins in six of the last eight seasons with all of that talent on offense is underachieving. 

This isn't a single game type thing. This is a collection of disappointments over years now. For the past 5 years they've had a top 5 QB, a top 3 RB, and the best WR in the league, and a competent, not elite, but a competent defense. The overall talent of the team, coach, and stability of the organization is bested by maybe only the Pats. Considering all that, going out like they have, getting whooped in the playoffs by NE, early exits or straight playoff misses like tonight, etc, yes overall recent years have been badly underachieving.

Users who are viewing this thread