What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tomlin...is it time to go? (2 Viewers)

A two game losing streak against the defending champs and a perennial powerhouse?  Man, you guys are like Kentucky wildcats fans when they don't make the final 4 every year. They have been great for years and they had massive star power loss.  It happens to every team.  Tomlin is still more competent than a LOT of coaches out there.  You could do worse and likely would if you changed.  Who you gonna upgrade with?
This.

Lions umm? Homer? Cause I will throw up on the floor before I call myself a fan of my sorry hometown team.

But ... I’d like you trade you the dirty bearded, useless pencil in the ear idiot that we have 🤷🏼‍♂️

Lots of NFL teams would be lucky to have Tomlin.

just shush it up. 

It's pointless being critical of Tomlin.  He has a free pass with some people.  Those who have actually watched the games realize that he's outmatched more often than not. His win % is still pretty good but he's also had a lot of talent.  
To me, the greatness of a coach is getting a team to play better than their talent level, if that makes sense, and I never get the sense that the Steelers overachieve based on their talent level.  If anything, they have underachieved, especially once they lost the defensive talent that Tomlin inherited from the Cowher era.  I thought last week was a bad look.  The Patriots were running circles around them left and right, yet the Steelers made no adjustments, and every time they showed Tomlin, he has this look on his face like he had no idea what to do to turn the tide.  Granted, Belichick has made coaches a lot better than Tomlin look like fools as well, but a coach that most would put in the top 1/3 of the league should be able to make some in-game adjustments, no? 

I think what I'm concluding from this thread is that there are just a lot of bad coaches out there.
There really are.  Belichick is obviously heads and shoulders above everyone else, I'd put Reid and Carroll in the next tier, and then the gap is wide till we get to the next tier, and I am not sure even sure who I'd put in that tier.  

To me, the greatness of a coach is getting a team to play better than their talent level, if that makes sense, and I never get the sense that the Steelers overachieve based on their talent level.  If anything, they have underachieved, especially once they lost the defensive talent that Tomlin inherited from the Cowher era.  I thought last week was a bad look.  The Patriots were running circles around them left and right, yet the Steelers made no adjustments, and every time they showed Tomlin, he has this look on his face like he had no idea what to do to turn the tide.  Granted, Belichick has made coaches a lot better than Tomlin look like fools as well, but a coach that most would put in the top 1/3 of the league should be able to make some in-game adjustments, no? 
It's not just Belichick.  He didn't have a gameplan against the Jags in the playoffs a couple years ago.  They were only in that game because of some disgusting individual plays by their extremely talented position players.  How many times has he lost a game against a far inferior opponent (especially on the road) because the team was completely unprepared?  If it was just the Pats, I could accept that.  He's not a good in-game manager and he's not even very good at coming up with a pre-game strategy.  

What is this in-game adjustments that you speak of?   I've never seen Tomlin have any.

It's not just Belichick.  He didn't have a gameplan against the Jags in the playoffs a couple years ago.  They were only in that game because of some disgusting individual plays by their extremely talented position players.  How many times has he lost a game against a far inferior opponent (especially on the road) because the team was completely unprepared?  If it was just the Pats, I could accept that.  He's not a good in-game manager and he's not even very good at coming up with a pre-game strategy.  
My impression of that Jags playoff game was that they were looking ahead to the next week when they would have played the Patriots in the NFCCG, which is an indictment of Tomlin as well.  Not sure you overlook an opponent who had beaten you 30-9 on your home field a few months earlier, but it happen. 

And I know what you mean regarding inferior opponents.  Every year you can look at the schedule and there are a couple of Steelers game where you think "they shouldn't have lost that game to that team."  It's like they get "up" to play a really good team, and then when they have to go on a road to play a team from the NFC, they look disinterested and bored. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My impression of that Jags playoff game was that they were looking ahead to the next week when they would have played the Patriots in the NFCCG, which is an indictment of Tomlin as well.  Not sure you overlook an opponent who had beaten you 30-9 on your home field a few months earlier, but it happen.  And I know what you mean.  Every year you can look at the schedule and there are a couple of Steelers game where you think "they shouldn't have lost that game to that team."  It's like they get "up" to play a really good team, and then when they have to go on a road to play a team from the NFC, they look disinterested and bored. 
Of course he overlooked them.  Tomlin had an interview after the regular season matchup against the Pats (where the Steelers lost on a controversial call) essentially insinuating that the 2 teams would be meeting again in the AFC championship game.  I posted in the steelers thread how I thought it was a bad move but people didn't think it was a big deal.  Low and behold - they never got that rematch because they were completely unprepared against another opponent.  

There really are.  Belichick is obviously heads and shoulders above everyone else, I'd put Reid and Carroll in the next tier, and then the gap is wide till we get to the next tier, and I am not sure even sure who I'd put in that tier.  
McVay should be in that second tier with Reid and Carroll.

its a really strange, and interesting study. I think about this every year ... how is this country so great, and this is the biggest attraction/sport. But yet, we can’t find 32 amazing QB’s and 32 amazing coaches?

its really weird when you think about it. 

As great as this country is? We can’t find 32 damn good people to coach football? Or throw footballs?

seems weird.

its a really strange, and interesting study. I think about this every year ... how is this country so great, and this is the biggest attraction/sport. But yet, we can’t find 32 amazing QB’s and 32 amazing coaches?

As great as this country is? We can’t find 32 damn good people to coach football? Or throw footballs?

seems weird.
We can't even find 30 that can reliably kick a 40 yard FG. 

We may simply be underestimating just how hard some of these jobs really are, because the all-time greats we get to watch do it every week make it look so simple.

Of course he overlooked them.  Tomlin had an interview after the regular season matchup against the Pats (where the Steelers lost on a controversial call) essentially insinuating that the 2 teams would be meeting again in the AFC championship game.  I posted in the steelers thread how I thought it was a bad move but people didn't think it was a big deal.  Low and behold - they never got that rematch because they were completely unprepared against another opponent.  
Pretty much, yeah. 

seems weird.
I can't put McVay up there yet (too small of a sample size), but he is on his way.  Same for Pederson. 

We may simply be underestimating just how hard some of these jobs really are, because the all-time greats we get to watch do it every week make it look so simple.
So true ... lmao 😂 

Pretty much, yeah. 

I can't put McVay up there yet (too small of a sample size), but he is on his way.  Same for Pederson. 
I think you should put Pederson, and McVay up there.

sure, small sample size ... but you’ve got super bowl winning coach in pederson (hey he beat out BB) and McVay is still doing it.

Andy Reid is a very good coach but in 21 years how many championships has he won?  zero.

Pete Carroll is also a very good coach, was won 1 superbowl, been in another and has a .591 percentage.

Mike Tomlin has won 1 superbowl, been in another and has a .647 winning percentage.  He is a lousy coach.

Payton and Harbaugh, though Payton’s reputation has taken a bit of a hit lately. Meanwhile I think Harbaugh finally has the team he wants (no Ray, Reed, Suggs and even Flacco didn’t buy into his rah rah) and seems to be doing some of his best coaching 

The team lost it's 2 best offensive players. Now they're struggling offensively. This shouldn't be hard to figure out. 

The team lost it's 2 best offensive players. Now they're struggling offensively. This shouldn't be hard to figure out. 
Bell was gone last year and Conner was able to do a pretty good job filling his shoes.   Obviously losing AB has been more of an issue because Moncreif and Washington have been huge disappointments.  Moncreif was so bad yesterday he was benched. 

If Ben is out for any length of time which seems likely it then the last piece of the Killer B's is gone and it is an end of an era.   

Godsbrother said:
Mike Tomlin has won 1 superbowl, been in another and has a .647 winning percentage.  He is a lousy coach.
With the exception of the inherited Cowher superbowl,  this team has continuously underachieved. Look at the talent that has come into this organization. When he does seem to get there on talent, he continues to fail as a coach.  His adjustments make you wonder if there have been any. When have you ever said "that guy is a coaching genius?".  The combustion of the Steelers could be predicted. By failing to manage the player atmosphere, it has blown up in Tomlin's face. Let's see just how good he is with less talent. The Steelers could make the playoffs, or they will win 3 games. I predict the latter.

With the exception of the inherited Cowher superbowl,  this team has continuously underachieved. Look at the talent that has come into this organization. When he does seem to get there on talent, he continues to fail as a coach.  His adjustments make you wonder if there have been any. When have you ever said "that guy is a coaching genius?".  The combustion of the Steelers could be predicted. By failing to manage the player atmosphere, it has blown up in Tomlin's face. Let's see just how good he is with less talent. The Steelers could make the playoffs, or they will win 3 games. I predict the latter.
Time to fire all the coordinators again.

Godsbrother said:
Andy Reid is a very good coach but in 21 years how many championships has he won?  zero.

Pete Carroll is also a very good coach, was won 1 superbowl, been in another and has a .591 percentage.

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but I never said Tomlin was a lousy coach. 

I give Tomlin about as much credit for his 1 Super Bowl win as I give Barry Switzer for the Cowboys SB win following the '95 season (see: not a whole lot).  He is a good coach, but he has underachieved big time in the last decade considering the rosters he has coached, and I am not sure how anyone can argue otherwise. 

I think Tomlin is a ridiculously overrated coach. And I don't think this was an especially talented team to start with even before Ben's injury, and it's about to be the 5th missed playoffs in the past 11 seasons. The drama that's overwhelmed the team over the past few years was just as much of a result of the atmosphere he's created than anything else... a lack of discipline and accountability.

I'm not saying he's terrible and I'm not saying the Steelers would automatically go out and get someone better. Personally, I wish they'd put him on notice. But he IS terrible at in-game management and his teams show up flat way too often in games that they shouldn't. If the Steelers had failed to make the playoffs this year, Tomlin would've been on the hot seat. Ben's injury will (unfortunately in my opinion) give him a pass for this season.

I think having the talent they have on the offensive side of the ball especially has kind of hid his shortcomings as a coach, and once that talent thins out a bit, it's going to make it really clear. Having Ben at QB set him up for the level of success he's had, but I don't see him sustaining it once he doesn't have a HOF QB under center.

Not sure if this is sarcasm, but I never said Tomlin was a lousy coach. 

I give Tomlin about as much credit for his 1 Super Bowl win as I give Barry Switzer for the Cowboys SB win following the '95 season (see: not a whole lot).  He is a good coach, but he has underachieved big time in the last decade considering the rosters he has coached, and I am not sure how anyone can argue otherwise. 
Sure it is sarcasm but your comparison of Tomlin and Switzer is nonsense.   The Cowboys were the team of the decade and had gone 13-3 and 12-4 the previous two seasons and were back-to-back Super Bowl winners when Switzer took over

Cowher's Steelers started the 2006 season 4-7 and had to win 4 of the last 5 to avoid a losing season, finishing at 8-8.  Tomlin didn;'t win the Super Bowl immediately following Cowher's departure either; it took 2 seasons for the Steelers to return to and win the Super Bowl.  It is odd to me that people give the credit for SB XLIII to Cowher for assembling the talent on that team but don't give Tomlin any credit for the assembling the talent on the Steelers over the past decade which obviously must have been loaded otherwise how could Tomlin have underachieved?

As far as the last decade goes I won't bother to mention his regular season record, his other SB or 2 AFC Champion game appearances because I know none of that matters.  I admit his 5-6 playoff record over that stretch IS disappointing though 4 of those playoff losses came against the eventual Super Bowl champions.

As a Steelers fan I am well aware of Tomlin's deficiencies and acknowledge that it's probably time to move on but I do want to let the season play out.    I also get that a lot of people think he is overrated and that is fine but ignoring or diminishing his accomplishments isn't necessary.

Sure it is sarcasm but your comparison of Tomlin and Switzer is nonsense.   The Cowboys were the team of the decade and had gone 13-3 and 12-4 the previous two seasons and were back-to-back Super Bowl winners when Switzer took over

Cowher's Steelers started the 2006 season 4-7 and had to win 4 of the last 5 to avoid a losing season, finishing at 8-8.  Tomlin didn;'t win the Super Bowl immediately following Cowher's departure either; it took 2 seasons for the Steelers to return to and win the Super Bowl.  It is odd to me that people give the credit for SB XLIII to Cowher for assembling the talent on that team but don't give Tomlin any credit for the assembling the talent on the Steelers over the past decade which obviously must have been loaded otherwise how could Tomlin have underachieved?

As far as the last decade goes I won't bother to mention his regular season record, his other SB or 2 AFC Champion game appearances because I know none of that matters.  I admit his 5-6 playoff record over that stretch IS disappointing though 4 of those playoff losses came against the eventual Super Bowl champions.

As a Steelers fan I am well aware of Tomlin's deficiencies and acknowledge that it's probably time to move on but I do want to let the season play out.    I also get that a lot of people think he is overrated and that is fine but ignoring or diminishing his accomplishments isn't necessary.
C'mon man, that 2006 team was awesome and it was only Ben's motorcycle accident and preseason emergency appendectomy that led to that record in Cowher's last season. The 2004 team went 15-1 and the 2005 team won the Super Bowl. Ben had an awful 2006 as he battled through it all and lost all that weight, but the finish to the season was more indicative of the talent level that Tomlin took over than the overall record.

There's a baseline of success that he was going to have based on the talent he had and the HOF QB he inherited, but the culture he created is at least part of why the teams underachieved. The thing about Tomlin is that at no point has he ever been the kind of coach who'll make the team better than the talent level, but he's been blessed with plenty of talent to stay afloat. Maybe few are, but his shortcomings that have held the team back are as relevant as any success he's had.

C'mon man, that 2006 team was awesome and it was only Ben's motorcycle accident and preseason emergency appendectomy that led to that record in Cowher's last season. The 2004 team went 15-1 and the 2005 team won the Super Bowl. Ben had an awful 2006 as he battled through it all and lost all that weight, but the finish to the season was more indicative of the talent level that Tomlin took over than the overall record.

There's a baseline of success that he was going to have based on the talent he had and the HOF QB he inherited, but the culture he created is at least part of why the teams underachieved. The thing about Tomlin is that at no point has he ever been the kind of coach who'll make the team better than the talent level, but he's been blessed with plenty of talent to stay afloat. Maybe few are, but his shortcomings that have held the team back are as relevant as any success he's had.
And how did that happen?   How is it that Cowher, who was also criticized for underachieving, gets credit for assembling the Super Bowl team but Tomlin doesn't get any credit for putting together the talent he has been blessed with?   It is this double standard that I don't understand.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree on whether Tomlin is a good NFL head coach or not.

How is it that Cowher, who was also criticized for underachieving, gets credit for assembling the Super Bowl team...
Don't forget that the first two Steeler picks with Tomlin as the head coach were L. Timons and L. Woodley - two cornerstones of the defense for several years.

Kicking a 40-yard FG reliably is really easy. Doing it under game conditions with NFL pressure? Not so much.

I think kickers, QBs and coaches get paid for their ability to perform under pressure as much as anything else. Andy Reid is gold when the games don't mean much. Same with Schottenheimer back in the day. There's something about the Patriot Way that allows them to execute with the same sense of calm whether it's week 2 or the AFC Championship game. Belichick and Brady don't perform better under pressure. They perform exactly the same and eventually, the opponent blinks. Their competition is only human, and they're not. 

I think the Giants got the better of them in both Super Bowls because they didn't blink. They had nothing to lose so they just played and (barely) won. 

Regarding Tomlin, I think his teams play pretty much the same in the playoffs, but not exactly the same. That's why they lose to teams with football robots who feel no pressure. I'd keep him because I'm not sure who would do a better job. 

The talking heads keep mentioning Tomlin in the Coach of the Year conversation because he has his team in the playoff hunt. I understand the fact that the QB situation has been difficult and they've dealt with other injuries on the offense. However, the teams they have beaten have a combined record of 37-82-1. They have beaten 1 team with a winning record (Rams 8-7) They lost to the Jets in a must win game. They have the 31st ranked offense in the league. Please explain how this is coach of the year worthy.

The talking heads keep mentioning Tomlin in the Coach of the Year conversation because he has his team in the playoff hunt. I understand the fact that the QB situation has been difficult and they've dealt with other injuries on the offense. However, the teams they have beaten have a combined record of 37-82-1. They have beaten 1 team with a winning record (Rams 8-7) They lost to the Jets in a must win game. They have the 31st ranked offense in the league. Please explain how this is coach of the year worthy.
He shouldn’t be coach of year but this should be a 5 win team at best.

Given the rampant incompetence we’ve seen throughout NFL coaching staffs this year, there’s no way in hell the Steelers let Tomlin go unless Dan Snyder makes them an offer they can’t refuse. 

He’s not coach of the year but that team should be way worse than it is. 

He also probably deserves some credit for keeping Antonio Brown’s craziness under wraps for as long as he did.

I agree that Tomlin should not be coach of the year but he’s done a pretty good job with this team considering the injuries.

I’ve been following the Steelers since the late 60s and can’t recall a team so beset with injuries.  It’s been crazy

The talking heads keep mentioning Tomlin in the Coach of the Year conversation because he has his team in the playoff hunt. I understand the fact that the QB situation has been difficult and they've dealt with other injuries on the offense. However, the teams they have beaten have a combined record of 37-82-1. They have beaten 1 team with a winning record (Rams 8-7).
Meh.  The teams they lost to were a combined 58-30, only two had a losing record and both of those teams with losing records have winning records in second half of the season when they met, the other 4 are playoff teams including the top two seeds in each conference.

They have the 31st ranked offense in the league. Please explain how this is coach of the year worthy.
You answered your question with the comment you made before you asked it.

I was one of the few that thought all along he was/is a pretty good coach.  I’m glad the Rooney’s thought so too.

No coach is perfect and Tomlin has his faults but he is one of the best coaches in the NFL.  Sacking him would have been a major mistake

He finished 8-8 with friggin Duck Hodges last season.  

How is Belichik doing without his HOF QB so far this year?  
That is an unfair comparison since the Patriots had a crap ton of players this year opt out because of COVID, but, regardless, there is no doubt that Tomlin did a tremendous job last year.  :hifive:

That is an unfair comparison since the Patriots had a crap ton of players this year opt out because of COVID, but, regardless, there is no doubt that Tomlin did a tremendous job last year.  :hifive:
I think we agree but the Steelers were decimated with injuries last season beyond Ben Roethlisberger.  And the 2020 Patriots have Cam Newton at QB which is a significant upgrade over a rookie Duck Hodges.

It would be ridiculous to argue that Tomlin is a better coach Belichik and I am certainly not even suggesting that.  I was just responding to JetMaxx's post which seemed to suggest that Tomlin is just riding Ben Roethlisberger's coat tails.  You can make that same argument with pretty much any coach, including BB.

I think we agree but the Steelers were decimated with injuries last season beyond Ben Roethlisberger.  And the 2020 Patriots have Cam Newton at QB which is a significant upgrade over a rookie Duck Hodges.

It would be ridiculous to argue that Tomlin is a better coach Belichik and I am certainly not even suggesting that.  I was just responding to JetMaxx's post which seemed to suggest that Tomlin is just riding Ben Roethlisberger's coat tails.  You can make that same argument with pretty much any coach, including BB.
People like to make the argument Tomlin isn't a good coach because he has had a HoF QB. He should be more like other coaches mentioned in this thread, Payton, BB and Carroll. Those guys have had nobodies at QB.

The Steelers have become a reflection of Tomlin. Have some talent, but never as good as the sum of the parts because of some glaring shortcomings that never get addressed or fixed due to a lack of accountability.

Tomlin is and always has been a terrible in-game coach with stuff like clock management, challenges, and timeouts, and while his soundbites are great on ESPN, his teams never peak at the right time and almost ALWAYS have discipline issues.Blame AB. Blame Bell. Blame JuJu. I blame Tomlin for allowing it with no consequences. Winning in the regular season is great and all, and having Ben at QB for his entire coaching career has played a large role in that like it does for any successful coach with a HOF QB.

He took over Cowher's team that was a ready-made Super Bowl contender but coming off an 8-8 season because of Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident and he turned that team in the short term into a Super Bowl win and a Super Bowl loss. Since then, the team is 3-7 in their last 10 playoff games with no impressive wins and some really bad losses, hasn't won one since 2016, and has given up almost 100 points in the past two playoff games, both losses as significant home favorites. I'm sure some franchises would kill for that. But not the Steelers, and not with the talent this team has had for the past decade.

I'm tired of the excuses for him. It's always someone else's fault. I'm tired of hearing about how the Steelers don't fire coaches. Accountability has to start at the top, and Tomlin's name is much bigger than anything else he does at this point. Maybe they'd replace him with someone who ultimately isn't as good, who knows. But I'm tired of watching this cycle repeat itself.

It's one thing to lose in playoffs, it's another to lose last two allowing 45 and 48 points at home against Blake Bortles and Baker Mayfield led teams. Something is wrong with that picture, and it's up to the franchise to find out what it is, and fix it. The last four years has been a failure.

Users who are viewing this thread