What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players that will be going off the board to early in 2016 (1 Viewer)

msudaisy26

Footballguy
I know it is early, but with this season still fresh in our minds who are the guys that are going to get drafted way too early next year based on what they did this year.

Kirk Cousins - I think he is going to be a good quarterback, but even if he stays the Redskins quarterback for years to come I see a Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton like performances from him. One year he is great the next year he is down and then he is great again.

Chris Ivory - He had a good year, but he has faded at the end. Some guys just can't handle the punishment of entire NFL season and still be as good as they were in the beginning of the year.

Doug Baldwin - I don't think he is a bad receiver, but Lockett is going to pass him sooner rather than later, Graham will be back and even if Lynch isn't I expect the front office to address the running game.

Gary Barnidge - The fantasy stars aligned on this one, there will probably be a new quarterback in Cleveland next year and with the possible return of Gordon and another receiver I would be surprised if he was a top 10 tight end next, which is where he will be drafted.

Broncos defense - I don't think they can be this good again next year, Oakland is getting better, you would think the Chargers would do something to try to help Rivers out for the last few years, and Kansas City actually used Maclin this year, they still have Kelce and they may add another piece. I forget the exact cap numbers, but when Denver signed Ware, Ward, and Talib a couple years ago their cap hits went up significantly every year, cutting Peyton would create some room, but I just don't see them being this good again.

Who else do we have?

Allen Hurns - Had a great season, and is a solid WR2, but I think he's due for some serious TD regression and I think the Jags improve again next season, meaning less games of 50ish passing attempts for Bortles.

DeAndre Hopkins. He's an excellent WR but I just think they'll bring in other weapons which will eat into the overly large share of the pie he had this past season.

Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. People always overdraft QBs.

DThomas, Kelce and the Denver D.
Where do you think DT will be drafted? He's been pretty disappointing given his draft slot. Do you think he'll be drafted in the same area in 2016 or that he'll disappoint a new, lower, ADP?

I'll second R. Wilson. Not just overdrafting QBs, but I think his final quarter run will inflate people's value.

Didn't Gary Barnidge succeed with 3 different QBs with vastly different skill sets this year?

Just curious, did you actually watch very many Browns games this year?

I actually think Kelce falls due to people overreacting to his season this year thinking he sucks (he doesn't) and ignoring that his situation really does (it does). I was actually thinking Kelce and Graham could end up being TE value picks next year if people are so down on them after neither was a stud this year.

Allen Hurns - Had a great season, and is a solid WR2, but I think he's due for some serious TD regression and I think the Jags improve again next season, meaning less games of 50ish passing attempts for Bortles.
Favorite badass of the 2015 season. Much respect.

I like AR15 and Hurns to be a productive duo for many years, presuming good health for both. You're right, TDs are variable, but they are both very talented.

Where do you think DT will be drafted? He's been pretty disappointing given his draft slot. Do you think he'll be drafted in the same area in 2016 or that he'll disappoint a new, lower, ADP?
Depending on QB situation and the plethora of strong WR plays available (don't forget Jordy Nelson will return and he's a proven WR1 stud) I could see him falling back to late in the second round which is where he went a couple of years ago. I will pounce if he's there. He's still a terrific player. and he's WR17 in PPR going into tonight's game so it's not like he's been a bum this season. I would love to get him as my WR2.

I actually think Kelce falls due to people overreacting to his season this year thinking he sucks (he doesn't) and ignoring that his situation really does (it does). I was actually thinking Kelce and Graham could end up being TE value picks next year if people are so down on them after neither was a stud this year.
This is actually one of my favorite strategies every year - figure out who is trending down simply due to perception. Guys that have low production in a particular week 13-16 are a good case, or were hurt when they were being hyped.

Conversely, find the player that keyed someone's championship in your league a year or two or three before. Amazing how often people will overpay in redraft to acquire someone that won them money in the past.

This is actually one of my favorite strategies every year - figure out who is trending down simply due to perception.
I almost always wait on TEs so I have a feeling Kelce and Graham are gonna be on a lot of my teams next season. I'm assuming the negative perception of them plus the positive play of several other TEs will cause both to fall. I could see all of the TEs below going ahead of these two:

Gronk

Olsen

Reed

Eifert

Walker

Thomas

That's six. Ertz could sneak in there and maybe Barnidge too. If that happens that will push Kelce and Graham to the backend of TE starting options. I would be thrilled to get them there.

I could be wrong about all six going ahead of them. Maybe Walker and Thomas don't but I'd be shocked if the first four didn't assuming all of them are healthy.

Brandin Cooks - I think he is still boom and bust and Brees starting to break down

Randall Cobb - people will be playing a rebound but I fear he has been exposed as not a true fantasy WR1. Maybe it was his injury? Either way I think he will wind up going too early in most drafts

I like AR15 and Hurns to be a productive duo for many years, presuming good health for both. You're right, TDs are variable, but they are both very talented.
He's very talented and productive. I see him more as a 800/6 guy than 1000/10 guy, I think he'll be drafted as the latter.

I'm nervous about taking any player too early that hasn't produced multiple years. I know I'd prefer to not be the one left holding the bag on the Freeman, David Johnson & Gurley picks in particular. Maybe I'm too conservative...plus my bias against RB early is likely impacting me.

I agree w/ Gandalf, re: Cooks. The little fella has been a fantasy beast the 2nd half of the season & has been scoring TDs. he still just doesn't get heavy enough targets to make me want to take him any higher than where he went this year. There will be someone in many if not all of my leagues who will take him early in the 2nd round; it won't be me.

msudaisy26 said:
ShamrockPride said:
Todd Gurley.
Any reason? I am sure he is locked into the top 5 barring any type of injury next week or in the off season.
Each of the last 7 rookie rushing leaders (since after AP in '07) have followed up their rookie season with fewer yards and attempts.

Last edited by a moderator:
packersfan said:
BobbyLayne said:
packersfan said:
Arodin said:

This is actually one of my favorite strategies every year - figure out who is trending down simply due to perception.
I almost always wait on TEs so I have a feeling Kelce and Graham are gonna be on a lot of my teams next season. I'm assuming the negative perception of them plus the positive play of several other TEs will cause both to fall. I could see all of the TEs below going ahead of these two:

Gronk

Olsen

Reed

Eifert

Walker

Thomas

That's six. Ertz could sneak in there and maybe Barnidge too. If that happens that will push Kelce and Graham to the backend of TE starting options. I would be thrilled to get them there.

I could be wrong about all six going ahead of them. Maybe Walker and Thomas don't but I'd be shocked if the first four didn't assuming all of them are healthy.
I can't see Graham being draftable except as a flyer. HIs injury was late in the season and is a long time recovery. Cruz blew his out before the 2014 season and never even saw the field in 2015.

tone1oc said:
BobbyLayne said:
tone1oc said:

He's very talented and productive. I see him more as a 800/6 guy than 1000/10 guy, I think he'll be drafted as the latter.
Reminiscent of Decker after his first good year in Denver. Underrated, people said 8 TDs and low catch rate looked like a fluke, and he has continued to be a good FF value pick for most of his career.

Last offseason the Jaguars thought about making a move for a veteran like Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace. Then they realized they already have two WRs who approach the game with a veteran attitude. These guys succeed because they work hard and they are driven. AR15 has had a chip on his shoulder since Detroit Country Day didn't offer him a scholarship and he settled for Orchard Lake St Marys. Hurns went undrafted. Said he could catch the underneath stuff but was too narrow framed to fight through coverage, didn't have the pure speed that would make him a deep threat.

Hopefully a lot of FF players think he's not the real deal.

tone1oc said:
BobbyLayne said:
tone1oc said:

As a Jags fan I agree with you. The offense is filled with talented players and I expect Marquise Lee, Julius Thomas, and Rashad Greene to all cut into his production. Love his talent and NFL ability but in order to be a top FA he will need more targets than I expect him to get.

tone1oc said:
BobbyLayne said:
tone1oc said:

Reminiscent of Decker after his first good year in Denver. Underrated, people said 8 TDs and low catch rate looked like a fluke, and he has continued to be a good FF value pick for most of his career.

Last offseason the Jaguars thought about making a move for a veteran like Greg Jennings or Mike Wallace. Then they realized they already have two WRs who approach the game with a veteran attitude. These guys succeed because they work hard and they are driven. AR15 has had a chip on his shoulder since Detroit Country Day didn't offer him a scholarship and he settled for Orchard Lake St Marys. Hurns went undrafted. Said he could catch the underneath stuff but was too narrow framed to fight through coverage, didn't have the pure speed that would make him a deep threat.

Hopefully a lot of FF players think he's not the real deal.
He won't be a value play because I'm positing that people will draft his 2015 numbers. I am saying the exact opposite of what has happened with Eric Decker, where he always seemed to be drafted lower than his production warranted. Perhaps many will think he's not the real deal, but I suspect that he's a 4th-5th round pick next year with numbers that will be easily replaceable in the 12th.

tone1oc said:
BobbyLayne said:
tone1oc said:

As a Jags fan I agree with you. The offense is filled with talented players and I expect Marquise Lee, Julius Thomas, and Rashad Greene to all cut into his production. Love his talent and NFL ability but in order to be a top FA he will need more targets than I expect him to get.
I see him as the Alvin Harper to ARob's Michael Irvin.. He'll probably get a boatload in FA and fail miserable as a #1 on a bad team (because good teams do not pay for WRs in FA)

Jordan Reed will be overdrafted assuming cousins and gruden stay. I could see him going TE2 or 3 next year pre-season rankings. To his defense, the only thing holding him back is injury risk.

Cam will probably be a top 3 QB pre-season. He could easily end up a top 3 QB in 2016 too but up until this season many people wrote cam off each pre-season even though for 4 of his first 5 years he was QB 5 or higher. The average fantasy player is no longer going to write him off so you wont be able to get him at a discount next year (i got him for $6 and $3 respectively in $200 redraft leagues this year).

Baldwin is definitely an interesting case. His ascent to fantasy stardom corresponded with graham getting hurt.

If i had to guess i'd say the jags trio (hurns, arob, bortles) will not be overvalued next year, i'd guess you could get them right at or below what their value is in a redraft.

If i had to guess i'd say the jags trio (hurns, arob, bortles) will not be overvalued next year, i'd guess you could get them right at or below what their value is in a redraft.
I'm optimistic I'll be able to get them at value and ride them again next year, but the question mark is the running game. If they improve there the trio might take a hit and produce below adp.
Because he has 42 more targets, I think people will flock to AR15. I see him being a late 2nd early 3rd in PPR. Hurns as the 2nd banana will still be underrated IMO.Bortles, don't care. He was one of my most valuable pickups this year, but I don't see me getting him in redrafts next year. I take QBs late & often replace them. This year it was Tannehill & Flacco, dropped Week 1 & RT Week 3 for TT & BB. QB is almost always the easiest position to find on the early season wire.

Arodin said:

I'll second R. Wilson. Not just overdrafting QBs, but I think his final quarter run will inflate people's value.
I expect DT to still find himself into the 2nd tier of WRs, which would put him somewhere in the late 2nd. I'm concerned that what I saw this season is a trend, and also that the Denver QB situation has taken such a hit that his production will be maddeningly inconsistent.

Players I expect to see when DT is on the board, and would prefer include Jordy, Kelvin Benjamin, and even Calvin Johnson if there are improvements in his situation (new team, new coach...).

packersfan said:
Arodin said:

:no:

Patellar tendon tears are no joke. Not saying Graham can't be fantasy relevant next year, but if he did he'd be an outlier.

Hurns for sure. I own him and hope I'm wrong but nearly all his production has come during garbage time against prevent defense.

Bortles- Same as Hurns......

msudaisy26 said:
ShamrockPride said:
Todd Gurley.
Any reason? I am sure he is locked into the top 5 barring any type of injury next week or in the off season.
Each of the last 7 rookie rushing leaders (since after AP in '07) have followed up their rookie season with fewer yards and attempts.
How many of them weren't even playing for a few weeks and limited when they first came back and coming off a major knee injury?

Only way Gurley is getting less work is if he has a major injury.

Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

Good list so far, and a lot of them I agree with. One that stands out to me that I haven't seen mentioned yet would be this year's #1 PPR RB....Devonta Freeman.

I think he's much less risky in PPR leagues, but he would scare the hell out of me being drafted as a top 3 RB next season. Aside from his ridiculous 3-4 game run earlier in the season, he's been mediocre at best running the ball over the rest of the season. His value has been maintained by a huge workload and a ridiculous number of catches (which is why I feel he's not as risky in PPR). I think his passing down role is 100% safe next year, but I'm just not sure he's going to get a 300 carry workload like he got this season (He has 240 carries with 1 game remaining plus missing essentially 2 games this season.)

He's averaging 18.5 carries per game this season, which would equate to 296 carries in a 16 game season. I wouldn't be surprised if that were cut in half next year and he gets 150-160 carries to go along with 55-60 catches (assuming Shanahan is still the OC). Plus I think there's real risk of TD regression for him, especially considering that most of his TDs were lumped together in a 3-4 game span.

I think 1150 total yards, 6TDs and 50ish catches might be more realistic expectations for him next season rather than the 1540/13 and 71 catches he has this season with 1 game still to play and essentially missing 2 games. I think he's a safe mid-low RB1 in PPR next season, but I'd be very reluctant of him in standard leagues where his catches aren't buoying his value. Either way, I just don't think I could pull the trigger on drafting him as a top 5 pick next year.

Brandin Cooks - I think he is still boom and bust and Brees starting to break down

Randall Cobb - people will be playing a rebound but I fear he has been exposed as not a true fantasy WR1. Maybe it was his injury? Either way I think he will wind up going too early in most drafts
I actually think these guys will be good values next year. Even though Cooks finished as a top 15 WR, I think a lot of people still perceive him as a bust because he started so slow.

I actually think these guys will be good values next year. Even though Cooks finished as a top 15 WR, I think a lot of people still perceive him as a busy because he started so slow.
Yeah guys who were frustrating this year like Cobb will probably be a good value next year.

• Cobb ADP WR8 - finished WR27
  • Evans ADP WR11 - finished WR26

Dez Bryant - With Romo battling back from another injury and nearing the end, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dez have another down year

I am going to say it.

DAVID JOHNSON.

I really love this kid, he seems to have it all and I truly think he could be one of the best backs in a long time.

That said, if he keeps on posting these great games, and the Cardinals go deep into the playoffs and possibly Super Bowl,and he continues to do well.....he will be first round material everywhere.

EDIT- Remember the Percy Harvin drafters nabbing him last year . :lmao:

That kinda sucks, as I really want him but I just don't like drafting RBs early anymore.

Maybe if I got him 12 or the swing pick coupled with a big ticket WR, but I doubt its going to happen.

Another point, I like going WR-WR, especially if I get a late draft spot, and I don't have much of an idea who I would want to get as my top 2 WRs at this point.

Looks like a TON of "possibly great/possibly bust" WRs at the top.

I'm dreading next year's drafts already. :D

TZM

I'm optimistic I'll be able to get them at value and ride them again next year, but the question mark is the running game. If they improve there the trio might take a hit and produce below adp.
Because he has 42 more targets, I think people will flock to AR15. I see him being a late 2nd early 3rd in PPR. Hurns as the 2nd banana will still be underrated IMO.Bortles, don't care. He was one of my most valuable pickups this year, but I don't see me getting him in redrafts next year. I take QBs late & often replace them. This year it was Tannehill & Flacco, dropped Week 1 & RT Week 3 for TT & BB. QB is almost always the easiest position to find on the early season wire.
Many experts have been talking about AR15 sneaking into the first round.

I am going to say it.

DAVID JOHNSON.

I really love this kid, he seems to have it all and I truly think he could be one of the best backs in a long time.

That said, if he keeps on posting these great games, and the Cardinals go deep into the playoffs and possibly Super Bowl,and he continues to do well.....he will be first round material everywhere.

EDIT- Remember the Percy Harvin drafters nabbing him last year . :lmao:

That kinda sucks, as I really want him but I just don't like drafting RBs early anymore.

Maybe if I got him 12 or the swing pick coupled with a big ticket WR, but I doubt its going to happen.

Another point, I like going WR-WR, especially if I get a late draft spot, and I don't have much of an idea who I would want to get as my top 2 WRs at this point.

Looks like a TON of "possibly great/possibly bust" WRs at the top.

I'm dreading next year's drafts already. :D

TZM
I think this is spot on. Reminds me of CJA for this years draft (who by the way, may be a good value pick next year).

I think Langford will get overdrafted as well due to him posting strong numbers in Forte's absence. I think Carey steals more touches than people will contemplate and keep his TD ceiling low.

I'm nervous about taking any player too early that hasn't produced multiple years. I know I'd prefer to not be the one left holding the bag on the Freeman, David Johnson & Gurley picks in particular. Maybe I'm too conservative...plus my bias against RB early is likely impacting me.

I agree w/ Gandalf, re: Cooks. The little fella has been a fantasy beast the 2nd half of the season & has been scoring TDs. he still just doesn't get heavy enough targets to make me want to take him any higher than where he went this year. There will be someone in many if not all of my leagues who will take him early in the 2nd round; it won't be me.
Plus, who knows if Brees will even be back. I heard he has something like a $30m cap figure for next season.

I actually think these guys will be good values next year. Even though Cooks finished as a top 15 WR, I think a lot of people still perceive him as a bust because he started so slow.
I agree. Both will be values.

Brees starting to break down is perception, not reality. He finished the #3QB in my league on an average/game basis (he missed that one game so I don't count that against him). Only Brady and Cam beat him out, and both by less than 1pt/game better. Which leads me to think Brees will be a value too if people think he's on the decline. At some point this will be true, but I don't think we've seen it yet. I like Cooks next year.

Cobb is not a WR1 unless he has an outside threat opposite of him. Assuming Nelson is back to form, I love Cobb next year.

DeAndre Hopkins. He's an excellent WR but I just think they'll bring in other weapons which will eat into the overly large share of the pie he had this past season.
He should be a top 5 WR for the next 7 years.

Qb risers

Bortles due to wr core and suspect d

Carr if they keep crabtree , half notch lower if they dont

Cousins, great wr and te talent

Dalton, supreme skill positions

Winston, talent plus skill wrs

Mariotta, great running ability and emerging wr core

Fitz, one more year of marshall and decker plus amaro at te back from ir

Tyrod, running plus watkins...

Still solid

Luck, will get a new coach, weapons maturing

Arod, will get jordy back

Eli, new coach likely, plus beckham

Palmer, one more year of fab trio

Cam, top qb

R wilson, top 5

Roeth, top weapons

Brady, gronk, edelman etc.. Top 5 again

Brees, one more year... As long as peyton is there

Downsliding

Rivers, new coach? Huge unknown, will get keenan back tho

Tannehill, new coach, might want to run it more?

Teddy, run first team

Alex, run first team

Osweiller, good weapons, but run first?

Flacco, no weapons

Stafford, new coach? Calvin?

Cutler, fox likes to run

Bradford, new team?

Hoyer, same team? Hopkins makes him viable tho

Stl qb, new coach?

Sf qb, new coach?

Matt ryan, despite julio, needs wr help to re emerge

Romo, streemer, but just too okd and banged up

Cle qb, new coach, but gets gordon back

Rb, viable #1s? Draft a stud and its the year of the handcuff i think...

Freeman, looks like real deal, should be reliable in year 2nof regime

Gurley, any kind of qb help, and stud

Ap, one more top year?

L miller, new regime, but ...

David johnson, monster talent

Rawles, one year wonder, injury recovery, lynch?, c mike?

L murray, solid o

Mccoy, one more year, k will close behind must handcuff

J stew, one more year

Ingram, top 5?

L bell top 3?

Langfrord, if forte is gone

Dmartin, must handcuff sims

Questions on rb

J charles, recovered?

Tj yeldon, viable in good o

D lewis, recovered, back to form?

Blount, recovered? Still on team?