What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you left your house unlocked (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
How long before you think you would be robbed? Lets say one car in driveway if you have a driveway. Screen doors locked but main doors open.

Since 1999 when we moved in. I had someone go through cars on 4 occasions. Same MO, they always only go into unlocked cars. They never take change.

My house is never locked unless we are out of town. Even then, thieves could just break the glass door off of our deck to get in.

Last one was the worst, we have a 2003 ford f150. They left the door open and killed the battery. They didn't take anything but I am 99% sure I was up when it happened.

I tend to leave it unlocked during the day, even if I go out to pick up kids at school. The only thing that I try to keep closed is my garage, because someone snatched a bike of mine out of ours a couple years ago. Was probably some guy walking by and decided he'd rather ride than walk. Bike not valuable to file a claim. :(

I've lived here for almost two years and have yet to lock the doors. It was bizarre at first but my roommates never did so I just acquiesced. So two years at least.

This is in Orange County, CA. Never ever would have entertained the notion when I lived in Albuquerque.
I did this is college and got robbed. Gf left the door open came home and it was an in progress thing. Noticed vcr out wires extended but connected. Was on 2nd floor. Went to first floor called the cops. They went through my place all clear. Long story short, I caught the guy in progress, he busted my neighbors door down and hid under the couch and left his jacket and my answering machine under the neighbors couch. No one knew until neighbor came home. So he was crapping is pants in the next apartment under the couch while po po was in my place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lived here for almost two years and have yet to lock the doors. It was bizarre at first but my roommates never did so I just acquiesced. So two years at least.

This is in Orange County, CA. Never ever would have entertained the notion when I lived in Albuquerque.
I did this is college and got robbed. Gf left the door open came home and it was an in progress thing. Noticed vcr out wires extended but connected. Was on 2nd floor. Went to first floor called the cops. They went through my place all clear. Long story short, I caught the guy in progress, he busted my neighbors door down and hid under the couch and left his jacket and my answering machine under the neighbors couch. No one knew until neighbor came home. So he was crapping is pants in the next apartment under the couch while po po was in my place.
How do you hide under a couch? Must have been a slender fellow.
What happened was the cops left, lets say my door was north, his was 5 feet away east. Hours had passed any my neighbor went to open his door and it was shatter near the lock. I told him what happened and we called po po again. When they went in there was a jacket half under his couch right near the door and my answering machine under it. This was inner city Erie. Probably a kid.

I live in the city. Cars get broken into in my neighborhood and things have been stolen from my front porch. I think I could go two weeks with the door unlocked before someone tried to break in.

Both my woman and I come from high crime areas in our childhood. I can't answer the question, to me someone is breaking in the first time I left something unlocked. I lived in ultra low crime Germany and still locked my doors.

We forget to lock our doors with some regularity. Hasn't bit us in the ### yet. Would feel much less safe at our old place.

Both my woman and I come from high crime areas in our childhood. I can't answer the question, to me someone is breaking in the first time I left something unlocked. I lived in ultra low crime Germany and still locked my doors.
I grew up in what I thought was middle class. It was probably that then. Now really run down. Houses on top of each other. But I knew 50 neighbors. If something happen someone knew who did it. Now I know very little neighbors, all an acreish apart. No one knows what happens but my direct right neighbor, that old man knows all. Just happy he likes me.

Where I live now there is a stay at home mom across the street that always hangs out on her porch which faces my house, it is the best mid day security system you can have

Where I live now there is a stay at home mom across the street that always hangs out on her porch which faces my house, it is the best mid day security system you can have
Did you give her a xmas gift?
No, but she did sort of ##### me out.
How and why?
I back out of my drive way in the f 150, some landscaping thing is barreling through the subdivision. I get out of the way and scrape their mailbox. Box white, truck black. Stop see a streak of white on the truck, their mailbox is vinyl. I leave my truck there and do the right thing. I walk to the house, glass screen door open, no one there and knock. I hear footsteps I know she has kids and is wondering who the hell is knocking. Takes at least a minute and she comes to the door. I tell her I hit her mailbox and that I am sorry and will replace. She says..............

We always lock our doors, even when we are home. That being said, I think it would be a huge coincidence if we left it unlocked and got robbed. We don't have any houses across the street on our block, which kind of limits traffic. Not to the extent we are hidden, but it's just an odd street to happen down.

I said well I keep to myself, I know you purchased the foreclosed house off of so and so and he moved down the street. How long ago was that? She answers 5 years ago, (oops). I tell her there is no reason that I we never met but I keep to myself and offered her money and she wouldn't take it. I ended up giving her hubby money to replace it and he didn't want to take the cash either but I don't except no. Now we wave everyday.

GordonGekko said:
How long before you think you would be robbed? Lets say one car in driveway if you have a driveway. Screen doors locked but main doors open.
 Lot of people who do flyers or knock to sell things are actually casing your home or neighborhood. Also in nicer areas, more "work" is being done. I.E. roof work or painting or additions, etc, a lot of these crews have felons because they are cheap labor.

Rule of thumb, always buy drinks or sandwiches or pizza or whatnot for anyone who contracts to do work around or in your home. Always. To me, this gives me full no guilt justification for shooting you in the face with my shotgun if you steal from me. I believe when you give, you should "give" without regard to any kind of return or thought of return. In the case of people working around or in your home or business, that goes out the door. I'm giving you pizza because I want to be on good terms with you. And if you steal from me anyway, sorry, you will have to get shot.

Nicer neighborhoods get hit more because they get cased more. Just like how the poor kids get driven to the nicer neighborhoods to Trick Or Treat. How thieves work is the same.

Most thieves who hit houses understand the basics. Always test the knob first. Go for the easy kill. Look for a house that's been clearly left for a while ( newspapers stacked, mail stacked), front lawn unkempt, flyers already jammed up on the door. When they go into your home, they slide the bottom drawers out first, then work their way up, saves time.

If someone does enter your home to steal things, locking the door versus unlocking it can change the crime and thus the punishment and charges if they are caught. For that reason alone, if people just can't get past the "trouble" of it, people should do it.
You know they also look at that security signs you have up for a date. Then they knock on you door. I wont answer but somehow my wife did and turned into a total moron. The guy was tell her what we have, I told her to shut the door, she kept talking. She proceeded to tell him our internet connection was not hook up to our alarm system at this time. And I did what I needed to do. I yelled I am going to shoot him if he doesn't leave my house now. He stated he didn't want to be shot. I was saying 4.......3.......3 he left. I have guns in the house but it is not my thing.

GordonGekko said:
 Lot of people who do flyers or knock to sell things are actually casing your home or neighborhood. Also in nicer areas, more "work" is being done. I.E. roof work or painting or additions, etc, a lot of these crews have felons because they are cheap labor.

Rule of thumb, always buy drinks or sandwiches or pizza or whatnot for anyone who contracts to do work around or in your home. Always. To me, this gives me full no guilt justification for shooting you in the face with my shotgun if you steal from me. I believe when you give, you should "give" without regard to any kind of return or thought of return. In the case of people working around or in your home or business, that goes out the door. I'm giving you pizza because I want to be on good terms with you. And if you steal from me anyway, sorry, you will have to get shot.

Nicer neighborhoods get hit more because they get cased more. Just like how the poor kids get driven to the nicer neighborhoods to Trick Or Treat. How thieves work is the same.

Most thieves who hit houses understand the basics. Always test the knob first. Go for the easy kill. Look for a house that's been clearly left for a while ( newspapers stacked, mail stacked), front lawn unkempt, flyers already jammed up on the door. When they go into your home, they slide the bottom drawers out first, then work their way up, saves time.

If someone does enter your home to steal things, locking the door versus unlocking it can change the crime and thus the punishment and charges if they are caught. For that reason alone, if people just can't get past the "trouble" of it, people should do it.
You know they also look at that security signs you have up for a date. Then they knock on you door. I wont answer but somehow my wife did and turned into a total moron. The guy was tell her what we have, I told her to shut the door, she kept talking. She proceeded to tell him our internet connection was not hook up to our alarm system at this time. And I did what I needed to do. I yelled I am going to shoot him if he doesn't leave my house now. He stated he didn't want to be shot. I was saying 4.......3.......3 he left. I have guns in the house but it is not my thing.
I would have finger shot the hell out of him.

If my dogs could feed themselves. I could leave the doors unlocked for a decade and not get robbed.

Not many people are going to break into a house with a 95 pound German Shepherd looking out the window at them. And while our Corgi wouldn't scare anybody, he makes plenty of noise.

I know I sound like bs, but when we moved to my current house someone was trying to rape by girlfriend ie wife.

When I loading up the truck, I kid walked by and didn't see me but said, you can move but I will find you to my wife. I walked out but I wasn't going to scare this kid, he was real.

If my dogs could feed themselves. I could leave the doors unlocked for a decade and not get robbed.

Not many people are going to break into a house with a 95 pound German Shepherd looking out the window at them. And while our Corgi wouldn't scare anybody, he makes plenty of noise.
If you left the doors unlocked maybe they would feed themselves.

When I loading up the truck, I kid walked by and didn't see me but said, you can move but I will find you to my wife. I walked out but I wasn't going to scare this kid, he was real.
:confused:
It was just something that happened when moving her to the house we live now. She had a Camaro with tee tops, they took a knife to the seats in her car before I knew her. I hit a real life moment, why does my wife want a gun so bad, it is because the #### she went through. Much of this happened before we were together but there was a 11 year old in the house and I was in the house went they pulled the screens trying to get in and they were laying outside in the morning.

New place, don't even lock my car most of the time. Gated yes but no security walking around at night. Avg age in this place is probably 55-75 yrs old.

I could leave my place unlocked for a while and not much would happen.

It was just something that happened when moving her to the house we live now. She had a Camaro with tee tops, they took a knife to the seats in her car before I knew her. I hit a real life moment, why does my wife want a gun so bad, it is because the #### she went through. Much of this happened before we were together but there was a 11 year old in the house and I was in the house went they pulled the screens trying to get in and they were laying outside in the morning.
S__________?

S__________?
I moved them hence the one before. But there was phone calls saying they were going to get her, many times cops were called. Some said if you shoot him drag him inside. They found out who he was after we left, and I know it was the kid outside the truck now, but didn't know at that time but did because what he said. Dude ended up getting 10 years for rape of someone else. that means he has been out for a long time.

House is always locked with double cylinder deadbolts. Unlocked houses & houses without obvious evidence of alarm systems get targeted first. Have had stuff taken from cars that were mistakenly left unlocked.

S__________?
In the end, you know my wife I will ask her to give you first hand details. I will PM you her email. It is the same as when you knew her.

S__________?
In the end, you know my wife I will ask her to give you first hand details. I will PM you her email. It is the same as when you knew her.
I was just asking if it was the wife I met.

Are you still in NC or did you move to PA?

S__________?

Live in the same place since 1999..........the dog in my avatar is the one the was in your house and jumped off your pier.

Lived somewhere before where I would say one day max before some neighborhood kid grabbed something out of the front room. But where I live now I am not sure anyone would ever try the door.

S__________?

Live in the same place since 1999..........the dog in my avatar is the one the was in your house and jumped off your pier.
My three dogs have all passed. Fostering one right now for the next 2-3 weeks. Miss Rog firing up the smoker.

S__________?

My three dogs have all passed. Fostering one right now for the next 2-3 weeks. Miss Rog firing up the smoker.
So on the fence what to do now. Sahara was a mutt and looking for another mutt, wont reward breeders. Sorry bnb for your losses.

Users who are viewing this thread