What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2016 (1 Viewer)

So, David Bowie album is very good RIP.

Here is my 2016 Spotify playlist - not much on it yet. I am really looking forward to new albums from Mystery Jets, The Last Shadow Puppets and Hot Hot Heat (even though their last few haven't been very good).

From the 3-4 tracks I've heard I'd say Savages were a one-record wonder, can't say I'm too surprised

Bob Mould's got something on the way, single is good..

Last edited by a moderator:
From the 3-4 tracks I've heard I'd say Savages were a one-record wonder, can't say I'm too surprised

I really like one of the singles and am ok, not loving, the other two. Still really excited to hear the album which I think gets released in a day two- definitely my most anticipated.

New Mystery Jets out tomorrow. I'm probably the only one excited for this (technically it leaked today but I haven't had a chance to listen yet).

The new Woods song "Sun City Creeps" is really good. Definitely looking forward to the new album.

Nigel Tufnel said:
ericttspikes said:
Ty Segall/Emotional Mugger out there and streaming on NPR.
Boo yah.
Diversion and Emotional Mugger/Leopard Priestess are jams.
Only a couple of songs in and it's weird. Good weird. Sounds like he's taken a page from White Fence.
Good call on White Fence. I'm not sure what the critics will say, but I really dig it. Ty can really do no wrong for me, so probably not too objective. It's different but still underneath it all is Ty shredding. Can also hear Fuzz/Ty Rex in there.

Professor Pimento - Olive Ewe

Obtuso - Obtuso

Arcade Fire - We Still Suck

Radiohead - Critically Acclaimed

Anal Chameleon - A Greener Shade of Brown

"Soft Days" from Belfast's Sea Pinks is jangly melodic goodness. RIYL The La's and a hundred other bands. Nothing new or earth shattering but a nice likable set of tunes that really holds together well.

New Mystery Jets out tomorrow. I'm probably the only one excited for this (technically it leaked today but I haven't had a chance to listen yet).
Big fan
I was obviously predisposed to liking this but so be it. For me, Curve of the Earth is a major return to form after the uneven Radlands album. The jagged XTCisms of their early albums are long gone but what's left is veteran band a decade in who can write gorgeous pop hooks with the best of them. It's kind of fitting that they covered Wings on their last tour because of their attention to pop craftsmanship and a willingness to still write silly love songs. Some of Blaine's soppy lyrics may be too much for some cynical listeners but the melodies and arrangements are mighty purty.

I really like one of the singles and am ok, not loving, the other two. Still really excited to hear the album which I think gets released in a day two- definitely my most anticipated.
Well- the entire album is out on Spotify and CD... "Adore Life"
Not bad. A little more "we're important artists" than the first, so less of the noisey good stuff, IMO- but overall still good.

"Soft Days" from Belfast's Sea Pinks is jangly melodic goodness. RIYL The La's and a hundred other bands. Nothing new or earth shattering but a nice likable set of tunes that really holds together well.
Was just coming in to post that I listened to this one over the last couple days and really liked it.

El Floppo said:

Well- the entire album is out on Spotify and CD... "Adore Life"
Not bad. A little more "we're important artists" than the first, so less of the noisey good stuff, IMO- but overall still good.
Nice. Was going to listen to this one over the weekend.

I'll listen to anything Paul Westerberg releases which at times over the years has involved some pretty heavy sledding. The I Don't Cares, his collaboration with Juliana Hatfield sounds like Westerberg is in a good place, having fun and (mostly) rocking out.

Eleanor Friedberger's new one, New View, is solid as always from her. Not much of a departure from her previous solo stuff....kinda folky, kinda rock-n-roll-y at times, weird nonsensical lyrics. If you liked the previous albums you'll enjoy this one.

Ty Segall/Emotional Mugger out there and streaming on NPR.
Boo yah.
Diversion and Emotional Mugger/Leopard Priestess are jams.
Only a couple of songs in and it's weird. Good weird. Sounds like he's taken a page from White Fence.
Good call on White Fence. I'm not sure what the critics will say, but I really dig it. Ty can really do no wrong for me, so probably not too objective. It's different but still underneath it all is Ty shredding. Can also hear Fuzz/Ty Rex in there.
This album has taken a while to grow on me. Squealer is muh jam.

Saw Bloc Party has a new release (browsing Spotify's new releases)

Listened ...

What the hell happened?

Probably too Boomer-ish for most in this thread but, if you like Bonnie Raitt, her new record won't disappoint.

Probably too Boomer-ish for most in this thread but, if you like Bonnie Raitt, her new record won't disappoint.
The duet she did last year with Boz Scaggs on his album was :moneybag: She still has an unmistakable sweet and salty voice and has always chosen good songs that fit her talents.

Adore Life is pretty good, I take back what I said. Works better as a whole record, same as the last one.. I should have reserved judgment..

Something about the awful music of the dudes they cavort/have weird sex with/drag around on tour had me questioning their legitimacy. But no, they are solid, probably my GOAT all girl rock band.

Quilt - Plaza. These hippies are improving.

Manchester's MONEY is back with "Suicide Songs". With a title like that, don't expect twelve powerpop ditties about cars and girls, their tempos rarely rise above a dirge. The songs are rawer than on their debut and the production pushes Jamie Lee's anguished vocals forward accordingly. There are also more acoustic guitars and piano layered in among the atmospherics.

At their best, MONEY is as bleak and majestic as a seascape. At their worst, oh how they do go on. I think this one would probably be a grower because of the quality of the songwriting but finding an appropriate mood to listen to it isn't going to be easy.

Listened ...

What the hell happened?
I admittedly stopped following this band a while back, but vaguely recalled reading it was basically Kele and a bunch of random guys, but the original guitarist is actually on this album. I'll listen to it again but it sure is a long way from Silent Alarm.

Manchester's MONEY is back with "Suicide Songs". With a title like that, don't expect twelve powerpop ditties about cars and girls, their tempos rarely rise above a dirge. The songs are rawer than on their debut and the production pushes Jamie Lee's anguished vocals forward accordingly. There are also more acoustic guitars and piano layered in among the atmospherics.

At their best, MONEY is as bleak and majestic as a seascape. At their worst, oh how they do go on. I think this one would probably be a grower because of the quality of the songwriting but finding an appropriate mood to listen to it isn't going to be easy.
Have heard a few songs, which I like ok. Made me think of a straight Perfume Genius.

Last edited by a moderator:

Listened ...

What the hell happened?
I admittedly stopped following this band a while back, but vaguely recalled reading it was basically Kele and a bunch of random guys, but the original guitarist is actually on this album. I'll listen to it again but it sure is a long way from Silent Alarm.
For some reason, Silent Alarm being eleven years old makes me feel older than Born to Run being 40.

I'm hyped for a new Radiohead album. I have a feeling they're going to release it without warning fairly soon. If it's a return to form like In Rainbows it's all I'm going to listen to for months.

Users who are viewing this thread