What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (15 Viewers)

Come on. Stop trying to justify it for him. The guys he traded for will not be the difference between him winning or not winning a championship- they’re waiver wire level players.
Someone already responded to this effect but those guys would not be on lost dynasty waiver wires. Rudolph was drafted by me in the start up and Heuerman was a pick up mid year. With 25 man rosters, 5 IR spots and 3 taxis, our waiver wire is pretty slim pickings so he was primed to take 1-2 points max weekly at the position. 6-8 more points on average can mean all the difference.

It’s not necessarily about justifying for him so much as it is talking about his own way of justifying it. Part of this thread is to gauge value but another part is talking strategy and how to get an edge. Guys have these types of thoughts processes so it’s good to talk it out even if I, like all of you, think that I got the better of it

Someone already responded to this effect but those guys would not be on lost dynasty waiver wires. Rudolph was drafted by me in the start up and Heuerman was a pick up mid year. With 25 man rosters, 5 IR spots and 3 taxis, our waiver wire is pretty slim pickings so he was primed to take 1-2 points max weekly at the position. 6-8 more points on average can mean all the difference.

It’s not necessarily about justifying for him so much as it is talking about his own way of justifying it. Part of this thread is to gauge value but another part is talking strategy and how to get an edge. Guys have these types of thoughts processes so it’s good to talk it out even if I, like all of you, think that I got the better of it
How to rip people off isn’t interesting to me. I understand that’s the goal of some owners though.

12 team .5 ppr. Rebuilding, traded Robert Woods to a contender for Sutton. Thoughts? I am still not sure how I feel about it
I don’t do dynasty so forgive me if I’m off on this. You went from a guy putting up points who should be with his team for a while who has a great QB to the guy who’s got potential but no QB. Woods is still only 26 as well. While I don’t think it’s a terrible trade I would have stuck with woods.

12 team PPR

A Gives:  Robert Woods, Derrick Henry, 2 2019 1st (Both guaranteed 1.09-1.12)

B Gives: Joe Mixon, Will Fuller, 2020 2nd

We don’t know they won’t be the difference. Either very well could be. Every point matters. Neither is on WW in any of my 20 dynasty leagues and I’ll bet the same is true for you unless you play in short bench only.  I’d bet Rudolph hasn’t been on WW in any of your leagues for years.  Rudolph is TE9, TE11, TE13 from 2016-2018. Personally I’d have shot higher than this combo but it definitely can make the difference for him. Howard’s avg is only about 3.5 PPG higher than Rudolph.
Maybe read things more carefully?

I never said Rudolph was on the waiver wire, but you juts admitted that’s where you got Heuerman.  

Rudolph stays healthy so he’ll always finish the season with decent numbers but he does not give you an advantage at the position and isn’t going to add much more than a guy you’ll find on the wire - a recent example is a guy like Everett that many gave up on and the last few weeks was a hot waiver add. Now maybe a guy like Kendricks if Graham is out. 

Some one always emerges even in deep leagues. A team making trades like that is not good business. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t do dynasty so forgive me if I’m off on this. You went from a guy putting up points who should be with his team for a while who has a great QB to the guy who’s got potential but no QB. Woods is still only 26 as well. While I don’t think it’s a terrible trade I would have stuck with woods.
Yeah, Woods is the definition of a bird in the hand, which was my main hesitation. Basically pulled the trigger because Sutton seems to have greater potential to become a true/strong franchise wr1 (both in NFL and fantasy terms) and anchor my team for years. Those guys are hard to come by, whereas I’ve been pretty good at pulling Woodses and Tyler Boyds and Robby Andersons (last year) etc out of nowhere on an annual basis.

I think we are seeing woods at his upside right now. That said I’m having a degree of seller’s remorse.

I made a dynasty trade three weeks ago, thought I did well, then Bell sits out. It’s a 1RB/3WR/1Flex very competitive PPR 12 team league. 

Injuries have hurt me after making the semis three years in a row. So I went for some change.

Roster before trade:

Cousins, Kirk MIN QB

Luck, Andrew IND QB

Allen, Javorius BAL RB

Carson, Chris SEA  RB

Ekeler, Austin LAC RB (Q)

Ingram, Mark NOS RB

Johnson, Kerryon DET RB (R) (O)

Peterson, Adrian WAS RB

Thompson, Chris WAS RB (O)

Odell Beckham JR NYG WR

Davis, Corey TEN WR

Hilton, T.Y. IND WR

Hurns, Allen DAL WR

Parker, DeVante MIA WR (Q)

Sanu, Mohamed ATL WR

Brate, Cameron TBB TE

Uzomah, C.J. CIN TE

Fairbairn, Ka'imi HOU PK

Bills, Buffalo BUF Def

Jaguars, Jacksonville JAC Def

22 TOTAL PLAYERS

INJURED RESERVE

Guice, Derrius WAS RB (R) (I)

Walker, Delanie TEN TE (I)

—————————

I traded Beckham for Bell, Cooper, his #1 for 2019 (prob 11 or 12 pick) and another #1 for he acquired for 2019 (should be the #1 pick overall). In addition I will have my 2019#1 pick (top 4 pick). 

Thoughts please? Who should I be targeting at #1 next year? 

Thanks

The Scorpion said:
I traded Beckham for Bell, Cooper, his #1 for 2019 (prob 11 or 12 pick) and another #1 for he acquired for 2019 (should be the #1 pick overall). In addition I will have my 2019#1 pick (top 4 pick). 

Thoughts please? Who should I be targeting at #1 next year? 

Thanks
This class is much maligned as a weaker class for skill positions so the picks aren’t worth as much as in previous years but I think you got a good return. That’s about the price you need to pay to get your hands on Beckham and it should be good for you both short and long term. Like it

This class is much maligned as a weaker class for skill positions so the picks aren’t worth as much as in previous years but I think you got a good return. That’s about the price you need to pay to get your hands on Beckham and it should be good for you both short and long term. Like it
He traded Beckham away. He got Bell, Cooper, and the first. 

He traded Beckham away. He got Bell, Cooper, and the first. 
I understand he got Beckham, I can see how my wording makes that unclear. I think that he got a good return for Beckham. OBJ is the ultimate rebuild piece because he is both elite and young but if you’re going to liquidate, getting 2 1sts (one of them possibly first overall), Bell and Cooper is good return

Dr. Octopus said:
I never said Rudolph was on the waiver wire, but you juts admitted that’s where you got Heuerman.  

Rudolph stays healthy so he’ll always finish the season with decent numbers but he does not give you an advantage at the position and isn’t going to add much more than a guy you’ll find on the wire - a recent example is a guy like Everett that many gave up on and the last few weeks was a hot waiver add. Now maybe a guy like Kendricks if Graham is out. 

Some one always emerges even in deep leagues. A team making trades like that is not good business. 
Except these guys you claim you can find on the wire are now long gone and there was no guarantee he could have gotten them with his Bid Bucks to begin with. Also much less able to trust than a guy who has done it before (13th in PPG the last 2 years as well).

Except these guys you claim you can find on the wire are now long gone and there was no guarantee he could have gotten them with his Bid Bucks to begin with. Also much less able to trust than a guy who has done it before (13th in PPG the last 2 years as well).
TE13 in ppg is not a difference maker. It doesn’t help win championships.  Trading away a potential top 3 dynasty TE for that is a losing proposition. 

And those were examples of guys that become available for free, the inference being you can always find similiar production without overpaying - so those guys being gone now isn’t really relevant. 

TE13 in ppg is not a difference maker. It doesn’t help win championships.  Trading away a potential top 3 dynasty TE for that is a losing proposition. 

And those were examples of guys that become available for free, the inference being you can always find similiar production without overpaying - so those guys being gone now isn’t really relevant. 
Do you think TE4 in PPG a difference maker? How about TE8?

You don’t need difference makers at all positions to win championships. Many times all it takes is someone who does not negatively impact you.

Do you think TE4 in PPG a difference maker? How about TE8?

You don’t need difference makers at all positions to win championships. Many times all it takes is someone who does not negatively impact you.
I agree you don’t need a difference maker at every position to win a championship which furthers the point as to why that trade was ill advised. 

But I’ll move on now. 

Last week before Kerryon's injury:

Kerryon Johnson and Peyton Barber

for 

Dalvin Cook
I'd take Kerryon straight up over Cook myself so this is an easy win for me.  

10 team IDP dynasty

Traded

Dalvin Cook + early 2nd 

for

David Johnson
I like DJ here, he missed a year so I'm not too worried about his "age", and give it another year, I expect that offense to improve quite in 2019.

You dudes don’t have trade deadline? 

Ours was last week ... kinda sucks 🙁
Ours does not..always some interesting deals come semi finals week where contenders are giving up a bunch to try and get the guy to put them over the top.  Helps the rebuilders out.  Only 2 of 6 playoff spots clinched,  8 teams playing for the last 4 spots makes not having a trade deadline worth it.

12 Team PPR: Flurry of activity today

Team A (not competing) Gave: 2019 5

Tesm B Gave: Gore

Team A Gave: Edwards

Team C Gave: 2019 2 (2.9-2.12)

Team A Gave: DT

Team D (Me) Gave: Crowder, 2019 3 (3.9-3.12)

I’m loaded with Players and Picks (122-10 All Play) and playing a bit of keep away mode from my likely playoff opponent right now. This league oddly has no trade deadline.

Had a couple deals go down today as well

10 team 2QB 3WR 2RB 2TE 2Flex

Competitor gets:  Eric Ebron

Non-playoff team gets: 2019 2nd (very likely 2.01)

Then

Different Competitor gets:  Aaron Jones and Breida

What looks to be a good team just outside the playoffs gets:  Melvin Gordon 

12 team super flex

Builder  gave up Brown, Noah DAL WR and Miller, Anthony CHI WR

Contender gave up Foster, Robert BUF WR, Herndon, Chris NYJ TE and a late 19 1st (could easily be 1.12)

Yeah, Woods is the definition of a bird in the hand, which was my main hesitation. Basically pulled the trigger because Sutton seems to have greater potential to become a true/strong franchise wr1 (both in NFL and fantasy terms) and anchor my team for years. Those guys are hard to come by, whereas I’ve been pretty good at pulling Woodses and Tyler Boyds and Robby Andersons (last year) etc out of nowhere on an annual basis.

I think we are seeing woods at his upside right now. That said I’m having a degree of seller’s remorse.
Not to make it worse, but I lean towards the Woods side of this. Sutton is only 3.5 years younger and while he's flashed some this season his realistic upside is still unknown. While I agree we are seeing Woods' upside (or close to it), he is on pace for 86/1315 and his situation is going to remain static for at least 3 more years. I'm not sure Sutton will ever reach those numbers, whereas I think Woods will be putting up similar numbers the whole time he's with the Rams - don't forget Goff just turned 24. So while Woods is entering his peak as a WR (roughly 26-31), Goff is still improving. So the offense could improve and as long as Woods' play remains the same, his stats should improve with it. 

Blick said:
Why would a buillder give up Anthony Miller for a late first?

I always find it odd when the rebuilding team is giving away young productive players for question marks.
Is Chris Herndon completely useless? Over the past 6 weeks Miller and Herndon have scored almost equally per game. 

If it matters, this league starts 3-6 WR and 1-4 TE. (3 flex) 

Is Chris Herndon completely useless? Over the past 6 weeks Miller and Herndon have scored almost equally per game. 

If it matters, this league starts 3-6 WR and 1-4 TE. (3 flex) 
He is not completely useless - but I don't think that changes what I said. I'm a Jets fan (so I hope I'm wrong), and while I liked what I've seen from Herndon I am not sure he'll ever be a difference maker at TE. I think his ceiling is a low end TE1, but realistically as the Jets add other weapons in the passing game he's a TE2. Sure you can start 3TEs in that league but if it's not a 1.5ppr for TEs, generally speaking starting a TE at flex is a desperation move.

It could turn out to be a good move by the other team - but the "process" is bad.

I always find it odd when the rebuilding team is giving away young productive players for question marks.
Anthony Miller probably falls in the grey area between productive player and question mark. He's had 1 game this season with more than 49 yards. Age doesn't matter much at this point, but with a late 1st someone could probably get a 21-22 year old prospect to replace Miller who will be a 25 year old prospect who is 3rd in snaps at WR for his team.

Anthony Miller probably falls in the grey area between productive player and question mark. He's had 1 game this season with more than 49 yards. Age doesn't matter much at this point, but with a late 1st someone could probably get a 21-22 year old prospect to replace Miller who will be a 25 year old prospect who is 3rd in snaps at WR for his team.
This is a fair point - and I'd have to agree Miller is no sure thing yet. I guess I look at it from the perspective that if I drafted a guy in the late first/early second and he showed some flashes that he could play at this level, why start all over again before he takes the next step?

The age "difference" seems too insignificant to be a factor here though. Also I would have guessed that he was third in snaps at WR without even looking, but I wouldn't expect Taylor Gabriel to hold him back long.

This is a fair point - and I'd have to agree Miller is no sure thing yet. I guess I look at it from the perspective that if I drafted a guy in the late first/early second and he showed some flashes that he could play at this level, why start all over again before he takes the next step?

The age "difference" seems too insignificant to be a factor here though. Also I would have guessed that he was third in snaps at WR without even looking, but I wouldn't expect Taylor Gabriel to hold him back long.
Yeah, didn't mean to make a big deal of age difference, but thought that getting ~3 years younger was at least worth mentioning. And I don't think it's a bad policy to turn an older prospect drafted in the early 2nd in what was deemed a weak WR class into a younger prospect drafted in the late 1st in what is deemed a stronger WR class. And that's universal in my book... has nothing to do with rebuilding or not. 

As for Gabriel, I don't have an informed opinion on him at all, but I've heard some people speak highly of him and the Bears did just pay him nicely this past offseason (4yr/$26M). His contract doesn't become cuttable until after 2019, so I don't expect Miller to be a meaningful fantasy contributor (if he ever is) until 2020 which is probably what you're expecting out of a late 1st draft pick anyway.

But I get what you're saying... if you drafted him because you like him, why let him go? Personally, if I inherited a team with him, I'd make the trade for the 1st... but only after shopping him. I know he's got some superfans out there. 

It could turn out to be a good move by the other team - but the "process" is bad.
We'll agree to disagree here unless you see Miller as a top 20 receiver. Then we just disagree on Miller. 

I think he's solid, I think he's a startable wr3 type. But I don't think he's more than that.

It's early to judge the 2019 class, especially as to what players will be likely end of round 1 picks. But that doesn't stop people from trying. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-wide-receiver-class-looks-like-the-best-in-a-while/amp/

There are a few QBs, and at least 3 RBs worth firsts. I see better upside being available at the end of the first than Miller. Obviously there's questions and time before we get a better idea. 

But if you're not sold on Miller as more than a wr3, I think the deal makes sense. 

-OZ- said:
12 team super flex

Builder  gave up Brown, Noah DAL WR and Miller, Anthony CHI WR

Contender gave up Foster, Robert BUF WR, Herndon, Chris NYJ TE and a late 19 1st (could easily be 1.12)
Miller has flashed, but so has Herndon. I’ll take the side getting the 1st.

12 Team PPR: 

Playoff Team gives: Moore, Sutton, Watkins, Lee

Non-Playoff Team Gives: Hopkins, Harris, Wallace, Walton

Not to make it worse, but I lean towards the Woods side of this. Sutton is only 3.5 years younger and while he's flashed some this season his realistic upside is still unknown. While I agree we are seeing Woods' upside (or close to it), he is on pace for 86/1315 and his situation is going to remain static for at least 3 more years. I'm not sure Sutton will ever reach those numbers, whereas I think Woods will be putting up similar numbers the whole time he's with the Rams - don't forget Goff just turned 24. So while Woods is entering his peak as a WR (roughly 26-31), Goff is still improving. So the offense could improve and as long as Woods' play remains the same, his stats should improve with it. 
In hindsight i probably should have asked for a pick upgrade in addition.

that said, while the rest of your points are valid, “only 3.5 years younger” is a fairly significant difference to handwave away. Guys start getting hard to sell for full market value by 28; if a rebuild isn’t likely to be a true contender next year he’s a tougher fit with the timeline.

granted if that wasn’t full market value now, or if Sutton never becomes more than a FF wr2 it may well still be a bad trade.

In hindsight i probably should have asked for a pick upgrade in addition.

that said, while the rest of your points are valid, “only 3.5 years younger” is a fairly significant difference to handwave away. Guys start getting hard to sell for full market value by 28; if a rebuild isn’t likely to be a true contender next year he’s a tougher fit with the timeline.

granted if that wasn’t full market value now, or if Sutton never becomes more than a FF wr2 it may well still be a bad trade.
Well, I say "only" because Woods is in the 2nd year of a 2nd contract and Sutton is a rookie so there's probably a perception that there's a larger age gap. 

I get that trade value can take a hit around the late 20s, but that doesn't really matter. You're building a team in dynasty. Sometimes you ride it out. You think Fitzgerald owners are sad they got stuck with him after age 28? I know that's an extreme example, but getting "stuck" with a guy averaging 16.8 points per game in PPR is not a bad thing. While that might only be tied for WR17 this year, that would've been WR5 last year and WR9 the year before. And again, he's in an improving offense. 

Also, don't forget that you can usually sell older vets who are still producing at the trade deadline to competing teams with injuries or holes in their starting lineup. It's no guarantee to work for you, but it seems to happens every season for someone. I've seen Sanders fetch more in the past few weeks than I'd expect for a guy who is almost 32 coming off mediocre-to-poor 2016 and 2017 seasons...

To me, guys like Woods are the players a rebuilding team should hang onto and build around. He's relatively young and producing steady points with a stable situation. If a rebuilding team wanted to sell off Julio, DT, Sanders, Baldwin, etc. that would make sense to me. But selling a known commodity in a steady situation at age 26 for a 23 year old rookie (without a QB; that has never caught more than 3 passes in a game) just seems like the rebuilding team is taking on too much risk.

Anyway, just food for thought. I like over-analyzing dynasty strategy.

Well, I say "only" because Woods is in the 2nd year of a 2nd contract and Sutton is a rookie so there's probably a perception that there's a larger age gap. 

I get that trade value can take a hit around the late 20s, but that doesn't really matter. You're building a team in dynasty. Sometimes you ride it out. You think Fitzgerald owners are sad they got stuck with him after age 28? I know that's an extreme example, but getting "stuck" with a guy averaging 16.8 points per game in PPR is not a bad thing. While that might only be tied for WR17 this year, that would've been WR5 last year and WR9 the year before. And again, he's in an improving offense. 

Also, don't forget that you can usually sell older vets who are still producing at the trade deadline to competing teams with injuries or holes in their starting lineup. It's no guarantee to work for you, but it seems to happens every season for someone. I've seen Sanders fetch more in the past few weeks than I'd expect for a guy who is almost 32 coming off mediocre-to-poor 2016 and 2017 seasons...

To me, guys like Woods are the players a rebuilding team should hang onto and build around. He's relatively young and producing steady points with a stable situation. If a rebuilding team wanted to sell off Julio, DT, Sanders, Baldwin, etc. that would make sense to me. But selling a known commodity in a steady situation at age 26 for a 23 year old rookie (without a QB; that has never caught more than 3 passes in a game) just seems like the rebuilding team is taking on too much risk.

Anyway, just food for thought. I like over-analyzing dynasty strategy.
I actually bought Woods prior to our trade deadline for a playoff run. But I specifically targeted him because of the points FF Ninja listed above.  He’s only 26. He’s in a very stable situation in a very good offense with a young QB.  And he’s averaging 16+ points per game.  I traded what I expected to be a late 2019 first and John Brown.   With my current record, I will get a first round playoff bye so that first rounder would be a pick between 9-12.

So I gave up an inconsistent player in John Brown and a late first for a player I expect to have a very high floor (top 10-20 WR) for, at least, the next 3 years (assuming no injuries). 

Massive trade that was finalized within minutes of news breaking that Hunt was cut. To be clear we made the trade before we had any idea he'd be cut.

Gave: Fournette, Hunt

Got: Barkley

Users who are viewing this thread