What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL DYNASTY TRADES**** (15 Viewers)

Great debate guys....personnally i think i capitalized on the godwin hype....and woods with kupp coming back will not be a wr1 or close to it imo....i love sanders...but i felt i had the depth at rb to move him

I agree that this is one of the most over-used clichés out there (most teams have plenty of "mouths") - and it's especially irrelevant when we're talking about the alpha guy. Jarvis Landry owners should be worried about OBJ, but not the other way around. If you're projecting targets for the Browns' players pencil OBJ in for around 160 and go down from there.
I will add one caveat - when a guy goes from a sub par quarterback who targeted him a ton to a good new quarterback and new team and new system with other good targets, that can be an issue.  

That's how you get Allen Robinson, Alshon Jeffery and Jarvis Landry, who were all young studs and then suddenly weren't. 

People imagine that a better quarterback automatically means better numbers for receivers but that's  not always the case. 

Landry had better numbers weeks 1 to 3 than week 4 on. He had his fewest receptions of his career, tied for fewest touchdowns and had his lowest receiving total since he was a rookie.  You might think that's because his targets slipped, but he had 148 last year, slightly above his 143 career average. 

I think obj is immensely talented, but

- eli peppered him with targets, just like he did with almost every wr1 he's had. Victor Cruz, Steve Smith, hakeem nicks, etc.

- eli throws 50/50 balls to his top guy.  Not every quarterback does.  Obj caught those really well. We don't know if mayfield does the same. 

- mayfield doesn't resemble eli in any way. Their scramble drill rules are going to be a lot different, for example.  

That doesn't mean i don't think obj can or will be good, I'm just not willing  to bet the house that he will put up wr1 overall type numbers. He's towards the bottom of the top group of receivers for me because of it.  

Not saying it is bad value for OBJ, but it could work out very nicely for the team giving him up.  That's the risk of it, but there's enough consistent production that you're getting in return for it to be worth it IMO.  EVERYONE has Godwin as a breakout candidate, and even if he doesn't he's still a top30 dynasty WR.  Woods will produce nicely as well and he's a discount WR1.  That plus most people's RB1 in this class makes it quite a nice haul.  There's risk to it, but I don't playing that risk when the downside is still consistent production.  
I will say it then.

It's bad value for OBJ.

OBJ's last top5 finish was 2016, 2018 he was finally healthy but even there Robert Woods outproduced him from a fantasy perspective
Say what now?  OBJ averaged 19.31ppg vs. Woods 16.6ppg.

OBJ has been an elite, top 5 PPG receiver literally every single season of his entire career, which is insane.  The only thing stopping him from top 5 finishes overall every year has been injuries.  And the last few years he did it with a QB that could barely throw the ball 15 yards downfield.  Now he goes to play with a gun slinging downfield QB that fits his play style perfectly.  He has legit Moss in NE upside right now.  Obviously that is only upside, but Woods certainly has nowhere near that kind of upside.

I like Woods but none of this is accounting for Woods' risk of falling off the map either.  He has 1.5 good seasons which we've certainly seen guys have before prior to fading back into irrelevance.  His numbers trended downwards towards the end of last year as did the entire Rams offense.  He needs the Rams' offense to be a top 5 offense in the league to be a high fantasy WR2 and there are concerns that the Rams' offense will be able to continue doing that going forward.  The league seems to have figured them out to an extent (Goff 1800 yards, 7 TD, 8 INT over his last 8 games last year counting playoffs).

I will add one caveat - when a guy goes from a sub par quarterback who targeted him a ton to a good new quarterback and new team and new system with other good targets, that can be an issue.  

That's how you get Allen Robinson, Alshon Jeffery and Jarvis Landry, who were all young studs and then suddenly weren't. 

People imagine that a better quarterback automatically means better numbers for receivers but that's  not always the case. 

Landry had better numbers weeks 1 to 3 than week 4 on. He had his fewest receptions of his career, tied for fewest touchdowns and had his lowest receiving total since he was a rookie.  You might think that's because his targets slipped, but he had 148 last year, slightly above his 143 career average. 

I think obj is immensely talented, but

- eli peppered him with targets, just like he did with almost every wr1 he's had. Victor Cruz, Steve Smith, hakeem nicks, etc.

- eli throws 50/50 balls to his top guy.  Not every quarterback does.  Obj caught those really well. We don't know if mayfield does the same. 

- mayfield doesn't resemble eli in any way. Their scramble drill rules are going to be a lot different, for example.  

That doesn't mean i don't think obj can or will be good, I'm just not willing  to bet the house that he will put up wr1 overall type numbers. He's towards the bottom of the top group of receivers for me because of it.  
This really doesn't speak to the "too many mouths to feed" argument though (but rather WRs switching teams which does have some merits)

Those examples are a bit suspect, however, in that Alshon Jeffrey had two good seasons five and six years ago and has underachieved (reports are he's lazy) and has been injury prone since, Robinson had one good season four years ago (driven in large part by garbage time) and has also been banged up a lot since and Landry was solely a "young stud" due to heavy target volume - his ypc and TD rates were pretty putrid.

As some one that basically has to watch the Giants every week I would also disagree that Eli forced the ball to OBJ from a volume perspective and especially from the 50/50 balls perspective - if anything I would argue that Eli was way too cautious as to where he went with the football and didn't trust OBJ enough.

Now I will agree that any WR that changes teams should raise some red flags in fantasy and OBJ is not a lock for top 3 numbers (or even top 10 to be fair) just because he gets a QB upgrade - but he is one of the most talented WRs in the league (it would be difficult to argue otherwise) and it's very hard to imagine he will not see at least 160 targets given that he's by far their best passing game weapon.

Regarding "too many mouths to feed" are Landry/Njoku/Duke really any more worthwhile mouths than Shepard/Engram/Barkley?

Last year Barkley had 121 targets, Shepard had 107, and Engram had 64 (in 11 games).  I highly doubt Duke/Landry/Njoku will exceed those target numbers this year, or even match them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those examples are a bit suspect, however, in that Alshon Jeffrey had two good seasons five and six years ago and has underachieved (reports are he's lazy) and has been injury prone since, Robinson had one good season four years ago (driven in large part by garbage time) and has also been banged up a lot since and Landry was solely a "young stud" due to heavy target volume - his ypc and TD rates were pretty putrid.
That's part of why i picked those guys. That, and they're recent examples.  I could give plenty of examples of stuff wise receivers who flamed out after a change of some kind from Braylon Edwards and Josh Gordon, to randy moss and terell Owens, and you can probably draw some parallels (Cleveland, HoF talented stud changing teams, "hot head", etc.) if you really want. 

But those 3 guys were considered top young receivers before going to new teams. It's easy with the benefit of hindsight to say that they were overrated for one reason or another, but that's not the point. 

Landry didn't fall off a cliff in targets. He had 148 last year.  He averaged 143 for his career and his high water mark was 168.  His per-target numbers dropped with Mayfield.  Why? 

Alshon may be lazy or injury prone or whatever, but he's playing for a superbowl team with an elite young quarterback and his numbers still dropped off. Why? 

Robinson might have benefited from garbage time numbers but he was still a stud playing with Blake Bortles.  Now he's playing with a talented young qb and his numbers aren't close.  Why? 

None of them is in the conditions that made them studs. They also had a few red flags. 

Obj didn't want to go to Cleveland.  He had to take a break from social media after the trade. 

He's changing quarterbacks to a good young qb who has a.... non traditional approach to leadership.  Will they mesh?

Mayfield is literally the opposite of eli in almost every meaningful way - size, speed, arm strength, age, temperament... will obj still get the same kinds of looks?

He has 158 and 169 targets, got hurt, then had 124 in 12 games last year.  (I won't argue eli "forcing" the ball to him - he was at or near the top of the league in targets and got a bunch of one handed catch opportunities, whatever you want to call that, the conditions may have changed). Will he still get 160ish targets in Cleveland? 

There's a lot of larger than life personality in Cleveland right now.  Mayfield clearly believes this is his team.  Hunt seems to be a violent idiot.  Obj had had his moments.  How's that going to look?

I know we started talking about the "lot of mouths to feed" argument, but a lot of people said "that won't happen to Alshon, he's a stud" and wa la ertz and agholor blow up.  Or "that won't happen to Robinson he's the best of that group by far". Then they spread the ball around to everyone.  Those guys had a big change plus red flags. Obj does too. I definitely see the upside - and I'm not avoiding him.  But it's risk and reward.

That's part of why i picked those guys. That, and they're recent examples.  I could give plenty of examples of stuff wise receivers who flamed out after a change of some kind from Braylon Edwards and Josh Gordon, to randy moss and terell Owens, and you can probably draw some parallels (Cleveland, HoF talented stud changing teams, "hot head", etc.) if you really want. 

But those 3 guys were considered top young receivers before going to new teams. It's easy with the benefit of hindsight to say that they were overrated for one reason or another, but that's not the point. 

Landry didn't fall off a cliff in targets. He had 148 last year.  He averaged 143 for his career and his high water mark was 168.  His per-target numbers dropped with Mayfield.  Why? 

Alshon may be lazy or injury prone or whatever, but he's playing for a superbowl team with an elite young quarterback and his numbers still dropped off. Why? 

Robinson might have benefited from garbage time numbers but he was still a stud playing with Blake Bortles.  Now he's playing with a talented young qb and his numbers aren't close.  Why? 

None of them is in the conditions that made them studs. They also had a few red flags. 
Let's be real here, Robinson and Edwards are not really a comparison.  They were both struggling before changing teams.  Robinson had one good year 3 years prior to his FA move and was headed to a team with what was considered at the time a questionable QB situation.  He was a 3rd round startup pick heading into his first season with the Bears.

Edwards likewise was a year and a half removed from his only good season, then had a bad year, then was traded mis-season after being borderline useless in the season that was going on.

Alshon was better in his run-up to his team change outside of injury prior to his move to Philly but again was still a FAR cry from playing at OBJ levels prior to his move (12.24ppg his last season in Chicago versus 19.31ppg in OBJ's last season in New York).  Again, he was a mid 3rd round pick in startup drafts.

Even without the benefit of hindsight none of those are comparable to a HoF caliber receiver who was an elite player other than injury for all 5 years of his career that has a current startup value around 1.05.

Moss and Owens are much more fair comparisons, as players on the same level of OBJ before the move.  Moss was 1 for 2 being a disappointment in Oakland but an absolute league winning best ever fantasy WR season type player in New England.

I'm not sure why you brought up Owens as if he was an example working against OBJ, as he picked up right where he was a strong WR1 both times he changed teams before he turned 35 years old.  77-1200-14 in 14 games in his first season in Philly, 85-1180-13 in his first season in Dallas.

Is he? He's top-30 due to the expectation of the breakout everyone is predicting. If it doesn't happen, he loses a lot of that hype.
I tend to think that we saw his floor last year.  His ascension from there is TBD but the floor is pretty safe for top30 I'd say.  If it doesn't happen he falls a bit, but I can't imagine a scenario that he actually does profoundly worse than his 59/842/7 from last year.  Maybe his TD's could come down a little with OJ there, but it seems pretty safe to hold there at a minimum.  

If he doesn't breakout and is just another 60/800 type of guy, then he falls to top40 maybe, but there will be people that blame Evans/OJ/Arians/scheme or something and he'll still hold some value to sell if you choose.  

Zyphros said:
I tend to think that we saw his floor last year.  His ascension from there is TBD but the floor is pretty safe for top30 I'd say.  If it doesn't happen he falls a bit, but I can't imagine a scenario that he actually does profoundly worse than his 59/842/7 from last year.  Maybe his TD's could come down a little with OJ there, but it seems pretty safe to hold there at a minimum.  

If he doesn't breakout and is just another 60/800 type of guy, then he falls to top40 maybe, but there will be people that blame Evans/OJ/Arians/scheme or something and he'll still hold some value to sell if you choose.  
Overvalued.....sell high....imo package him and another piece and upgrade

12-team 0.5/1/1.5 PPR

Q RR WWW F

Team A

Lindsay, Phillip DEN RB

Anderson, Robby NYJ WR

Harry, N'Keal NEP WR

Burton, Trey CHI TE

Team B

Murray, Kyler ARI QB

Jones, Aaron GBP RB

Washington, James PIT WR

Gesicki, Mike MIA TE

12-team 0.5/1/1.5 PPR

Q RR WWW F

Team A

Lindsay, Phillip DEN RB

Anderson, Robby NYJ WR

Harry, N'Keal NEP WR

Burton, Trey CHI TE

Team B

Murray, Kyler ARI QB

Jones, Aaron GBP RB

Washington, James PIT WR

Gesicki, Mike MIA TE
Harry Robbya a & Lindsay for me, Jwash is iffy as is Gesicki…..Im not a Jones truther either, I think GB could easily move on next draft......

I get so trigger happy in the off-season. I need someone to take my keys from me from May-July.

Trade 1:

Gave

Richard, Jalen OAK RB

Hopkins, DeAndre HOU WR

Year 2020 Round 5 Draft Pick

Year 2020 Round 6 Draft Pick

Got

Bell, Le'Veon NYJ RB

Year 2020 Round 1 Draft Pick (early/mid)

Year 2020 Round 3 Draft Pick

Year 2020 Round 4

Trade 2:

Gave

Year 2020 Round 1 Draft Pick (late)

Got

Green, A.J. CIN WR;

Year 2020 Round 2 Draft Pick

I get so trigger happy in the off-season. I need someone to take my keys from me from May-July.

Trade 1:

Gave

Richard, Jalen OAK RB

Hopkins, DeAndre HOU WR

Got

Bell, Le'Veon NYJ RB

Year 2020 Round 4

Trade 2:

Gave

Got

Green, A.J. CIN WR;

Lev Bell + AJ Green is a terrible return for Nuk + 2020 1st.

Trade 1:

Gave

Richard, Jalen OAK RB

Hopkins, DeAndre HOU WR

Got

Bell, Le'Veon NYJ RB

Year 2020 Round 4

Trade 2:

Gave

Got

Green, A.J. CIN WR;

Andy, my friend.  These trades have to sting worse than the beating Bog's and the Sister's put on you at Shawshank!  

12-team 0.5/1/1.5 PPR

Q RR WWW F

Team A

Lindsay, Phillip DEN RB

Anderson, Robby NYJ WR

Harry, N'Keal NEP WR

Burton, Trey CHI TE

Team B

Murray, Kyler ARI QB

Jones, Aaron GBP RB

Washington, James PIT WR

Gesicki, Mike MIA TE
I'll take side B, and by a decent margin. Personally, I'm not a huge Anderson fan, and while Burton is better than Gesicki, they are both pretty irrelevant.

Jones>Lindsay for me, and I like Washington a lot more than most as a prospect. Truth be told, I'd rather have him than Anderson, but that is likely just me.

Murray v. Harry is pretty much a wash to me. 

Ultimately Jones is the best player in the deal in my eyes, and that is a big deciding factor.

@Andy DufresneI have four buddies who I've never met face to face but with whom I've played dynasty for almost ten years now and we email each other with trade situations to get a read from other owners we respect.  We call it the tribal council and I swear it has saved me from a few rough trades, or short-sighted one's because i was bored.  I hear ya brother...this is a dangerous time of year for NFL'ers with off-field challenges and equally so for dynasty die-hards who are in overdrive between the draft and training camps.

And I can't even make you feel better because i still find myself shaking my head on the Joseph Addai for Cam Newton AND a 2nd gem i offered and made in Cam's rookie season...time doesn't heal all wounds i guess...

For now, go get some ice cream or a handjob or something.

Trade 1:

Gave

Richard, Jalen OAK RB

Hopkins, DeAndre HOU WR

Got

Bell, Le'Veon NYJ RB

Year 2020 Round 4

Trade 2:

Gave

Got

Green, A.J. CIN WR;

poor little Andy.  Yikes.

I KNOW!!! :rant: :hot:  
Someone should take my keys away too this time of year. I get too bored. 

Sorry to see this. The first trade isnt as bad as the 2nd

Maybe to make you feel better that there could be someone worse out there- I traded Sutton for 2 2020 1sts, one in contention for 1.1. Then a month later I traded Gallup and Washington for Sutton. 

Now I may be offering 2 late 2021 2nds for Gallup 

Andy, my friend.  These trades have to sting worse than the beating Bog's and the Sister's put on you at Shawshank!  
Well really, I'm not that displeased with it. I know it takes some squinting but here's how you talk yourself into things.

It all depends on if you think Bell & Green regain their form. I decided I was willing to bet on that.

The reason I did was that I kept looking at who I'd have to play in my last starter spot, and the names were uninspiring - Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Chris Herndon, and a bunch off rookies.

So, long story short, while I lost the battles a bit (or, a lot, if you prefer) I still believe I got closer to winning the war because I believe, over the course of a season, that a combination of Bell/Green will outscore Hopkins/dreck.

I'm in big win-now mode in this league and am not concerned that much with late 1st picks if I think it'll get that done. And since this is an IDP Zealots league, 2nd and 3rd round picks aren't nothing.

One last thing, particularly if you think I clearly lost here - beware of "calculators" and "draft pick value charts" like this and this. Because according to those a trade of "Hopkins/late 1st for Bell, Green, late 2nd" is either Fair or a win...for the latter side.

Well really, I'm not that displeased with it. I know it takes some squinting but here's how you talk yourself into things.

It all depends on if you think Bell & Green regain their form. I decided I was willing to bet on that.

The reason I did was that I kept looking at who I'd have to play in my last starter spot, and the names were uninspiring - Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Chris Herndon, and a bunch off rookies.

So, long story short, while I lost the battles a bit (or, a lot, if you prefer) I still believe I got closer to winning the war because I believe, over the course of a season, that a combination of Bell/Green will outscore Hopkins/dreck.

I'm in big win-now mode in this league and am not concerned that much with late 1st picks if I think it'll get that done. And since this is an IDP Zealots league, 2nd and 3rd round picks aren't nothing.

One last thing, particularly if you think I clearly lost here - beware of "calculators" and "draft pick value charts" like this and this. Because according to those a trade of "Hopkins/late 1st for Bell, Green, late 2nd" is either Fair or a win...for the latter side.
Yeah people get obsessed with trade value and forget that what really matters is whether you can start them and earn points. I like the Bell deal better than the Green deal but I get it. If Bell remains a stud then this won't look so bad. If Green does as well then it is solid. 

Trade 2:

Gave

Got

Green, A.J. CIN WR;

If you think the second rounder you're getting back is going to be really early, then it becomes Green for a mid first and a couple of spots at the turn.  That's not bad.

If you think the second rounder you're getting back is going to be really early, then it becomes Green for a mid first and a couple of spots at the turn.  That's not bad.
The hidden benefit here is that now his team is worse because he needs to fill Green's starting spot with someone not as good (unless he manages to do what I couldn't - flip the pick). So the 2nd may be mid to early in the 2nd. He was 6-7 last year and didn't have a very significant draft.

Trade 1:

Gave

Richard, Jalen OAK RB

Hopkins, DeAndre HOU WR

Got

Bell, Le'Veon NYJ RB

Year 2020 Round 4

Trade 2:

Gave

Got

Green, A.J. CIN WR;

I'm not very high on Bell but see why people are. That one is closer, especially if you need a RB. 

I think the issue with the Green trade is opportunity cost. For that price you could pick a player that is producing from a low end team in season. That way you aren't just hoping Green does well. You could get a player that is having a good season and the other team needs picks because they are out of it. Value wise it like the picks side but it isn't crazy. I would have just waited to see what happens a few games in. 

The thing I struggle with in my Zealot leagues is the concept of 'win-now'.  With no prize money, I hesitate to give up future value for the pride win.

The thing I struggle with in my Zealot leagues is the concept of 'win-now'.  With no prize money, I hesitate to give up future value for the pride win.
But whatever strategy you employ you're playing to win at some point with no pot of gold at the end.

I never realized Zealot leagues (heard them mentioned many times) were free leagues. Not that it matters but found it interesting.

Auction/salary cap league, so no draft picks.  22-man rosters, 400-unit cap.

Gave: Chris Godwin TB WR 5 units

Got: Tyreek Hill KC WR 29 units

He needed to clear cap space, I'm hoping for a short suspension.

12 team FFPC superflex(probably doesn't matter for this trade but it's my first SF dynasty)

I gave Lockett

I got James White & a 2020 2nd (we just had the startup a couple months ago so who knows - it looks like a crappy to middle of the road team to me)

Needed another RB pretty bad and have lots of strength at WR.

As long as your cap can take that kind of salary, this is a massive win.  I'm currently projecting a 2-game suspension, or less.

I'm personally worried forever about Hill. Even if he gets cleared of this, he's likely one strike from being finished. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic or conservative, but I'd prefer Godwin straight up, let alone for almost 1/6th the price.

12 team FFPC superflex(probably doesn't matter for this trade but it's my first SF dynasty)

I gave Lockett

I got James White & a 2020 2nd (we just had the startup a couple months ago so who knows - it looks like a crappy to middle of the road team to me)

Fair enough. I probably prefer Lockett in a vacuum, but if you needed a RB, and had loads at WR, its not a bad deal.

As long as your cap can take that kind of salary, this is a massive win.  I'm currently projecting a 2-game suspension, or less.
Yeah, I loved having Godwin for 5, but when I saw he had Hill in his "trade bait" I had to ask. I've got quite a few guys stashed below market value so I can probably carry him for a couple more years even with max increases

I gave Lockett

At first I didn't like it but in the short term, White's role is reliable and I think the fact it's superflex makes that 2nd a bit more valuable as some talented players can fall if the QB's (great or not) go a bit earlier than expected.

Good move if you needed another RB - i've been trying to deal for one in a new startup as I punted in the draft and so far the prices are too high...(or i'm too cheap!)

I gave Lockett

This is one I think you may regret in November.  I see Lockett rocketing up and White going down quite a lot. 

Personally, I would need more than a 2020 2nd to make up the difference between these two players.  White really fell off at the end of last season, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect NE to focus enough attention on one RB to make them consistent.

Non-PPR

AJ Green

for

Darrell Henderson

2020 1st round rookie pick (from a likely playoff team)

Was this even?

Non-PPR

AJ Green

for

Darrell Henderson

Was this even?
This is a nice out from Green. Those not high on DH won’t like it. Personally, I like trading for future 1sts from supposed playoff teams, those picks can turn from projected late picks to early ones with a few injuries.

Non-PPR

AJ Green

for

Darrell Henderson

Was this even?
Its a fair deal. I'd rather be on the Green side, but I'm pretty bullish on the Bengals offense this year. I think people are really underestimating how different a non Marvin Lewis coached team will look. 

Non-PPR

AJ Green

for

Darrell Henderson

Was this even?
Essentially two firsts for the least productive WR of the old guard (AB, Julio, Green) is a great out. Especially in non-ppr. 

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
This is one I think you may regret in November.  I see Lockett rocketing up and White going down quite a lot. 

Personally, I would need more than a 2020 2nd to make up the difference between these two players.  White really fell off at the end of last season, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect NE to focus enough attention on one RB to make them consistent.
You might be right about how the players will fare, but I simply don't believe in regret. If I lose out on this I lose out. If I can find a startable RB off of waivers this season I might try to flip White midseason. And although I like Lockett, I have Evans, Juju, Cooper, Sutton (who I am big on), JJAW who I am also big on, and don't see many scenarios where I would start Lockett. 

But I will likely not even remember making this trade come October. If this deal is a dud I might not even notice or care. I think it is somewhere between a small deal and a small-moderate deal in terms of value exchanged. But I also believe in White.

Users who are viewing this thread