What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

KP's top 50 movies of the decade (so far) (1 Viewer)

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
This list stemmed from an argument at work and one that annoys me when I see it brought up around here: "there are no good original movies being made anymore". Guy claimed I couldn't make a list of good movies in the last few years more than about 20 long. I gave him a list of about 75, and thought I would post 50 for fun in here.

Some things to throw out there before I start the countdown:

- Like I said of the decade so far... 2010 on

- I avoided remakes and sequels (to my knowledge)

- I think I avoided comic book movies in general, because most have heard of/seen them

- I am not claiming this to be a "best of" list. While I think all the movies are good on the list, I know I left better made movies off the list that I might not like as well.

- I don't watch many action movies, so not many will be on my list. Most of my favs fell into the category of the 1st two items listed above: MI4, Capt America 2, etc..

- I also don't watch many comedy movies, so only one or two show up here. Never seem to rank them highly anyway.

- I really dislike Wes Anderson, so don't expect any movies of his here.

- I didn't list any foreign movies or documentaries. There are many of these, and we can list them later, but I figure a big chunk of people here don't watch either very often, and this will keep the discussion going.

- While I will do a countdown, these aren't really in exact order. More in tiers, as I couldn't tell you with confidence why #48 is better than #50.

- There are a TON of movies I haven't seen (esp. this year), this is more to generate discussion and kill boredom for me.

And away we go (will try to post at least 5 a day...):

Last edited by a moderator:
IN!

- I didn't list any foreign movies or documentaries. There are many of these, and we can list them later, but I figure a big chunk of people here don't watch either very often, and this will keep the discussion going.
Wait, OUT! :(

These I really liked, but have problems with the endings or a decent chunk of the movie:

50. It Follows:

I think it is the only "true" horror movie on the list. I didn't really like the ending - felt like a poor knock off of Let the Right one In. It gets more points for trying a different take on a tired genre (it is basically just a new take on a slasher movie). What it did for me is really ramp up the tensing. Shot and paced so well, and when this movie was "on", I don't think I was a scared as I was watching any other movie in the last 5 years.

49. Hanna:

Dragged for me in spots, but makes the list for me just by providing some of the best action scenes I saw in the last few years. It has been well documented what a movie boner I get over great long takes. Movie is just beautiful - you can tell that Joe Wright's background was from Pride and Prejudice and Atonement.

48. Interstellar:

I know, I know. If I hadn't watched it again, this would not have even made the list. Warmed up to it, and Nolan really swung for the fences, which always gets points from me. Movies that look like this is exactly what I want to populate the theaters in the summer. That said, I find the last 1/4 or so of the movie to be downright stupid. Starting to worry a tad about Nolan, as I haven't loved his last two movies. We will see what he has up his sleeve next.

47. Boyhood:

Another huge swing for the fences that missed for me. I think Linklater does a similar thing with characters in movies with a better result (we will discuss that more later). Took a huge risk with this one that is for sure, and could have blown up in his face a dozen different ways. Just like the movie above it, I liked it a tad more on second viewing, and without that might not have made this list.

46. Place Beyond the Pines:

REALLY wish I could have this one higher, but couldn't do it. To me, this is 2/3 of a fantastic movie, but the 1/3 act really dragged it down. Thought Cooper and Gosling were great in this. The director is one to keep an eye on, and looks like he has a movie coming out this year starring Mr. Fassbender :wub:

IN!

I know. Like I said, we sure can discuss these too, but I know my "real" list would be filled 1/2 with these genres. The person I was making the list for at work isn't interested in these, so I also left them out for this one too. Nothing else, made me think a tad more about others I had seen.

IN!

I know. Like I said, we sure can discuss these too, but I know my "real" list would be filled 1/2 with these genres. The person I was making the list for at work isn't interested in these, so I also left them out for this one too. Nothing else, made me think a tad more about others I had seen.
I'm sure it will be an interesting list since you have great movie taste IMO, but I just won't have seen the vast majority of them.

ETA: I guess that's good news for me because it will give me a good a list of movies to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Krista and others - the foreign movies that I had written down as I went through stuff:

My off the top of my head top 10: (some might blur into 2009 with US releases. Didn't want to research too hard.

Mother

Trollhunter

A Separation

Leviathan

Force Majeure

Amour

The Hunt

Incendies

Rust and Bone

Certified Copy

(a lot of the above would leak into my list of favs of the decade)

Others that I liked:

White Material

Oslo, August 31st

Sleep Tight

Haunters

Intouchables

Kill List

The Past

A Hijacking

Turin Horse

Blue is the Warmest Color

Cell 211

Headhunters

Kid with a Bike

Big Bad Wolves

Broken Circle Breakdown

IN!

I'm sure it will be an interesting list since you have great movie taste IMO, but I just won't have seen the vast majority of them.

ETA: I guess that's good news for me because it will give me a good a list of movies to see.
Honestly, looking over my list, this list might not be that deep or groundbreaking. Will list the "just misses" at the end too. I figure if people get one or two movies they haven't tried and end up liking out of this thread, mission accomplished.

I am farther behind on docs that I would like to be, but my top 10 that would be in the running to make this list:

The Act of Killing

Exit Through the Gift Shop

Searching for Sugar Man

Stories we Tell

The Imposter

Hot Coffee

Life Itself

Catfish

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

How to Survive a Plague

Others I liked:

Senna

Tabloid

Leviathan

Into the Abyss

We Steal Secrets

Blackfish

Project Nim

Paradise Lost 3

West of Memphis

Dirty Wars

Room 237

The Crash Reel

This is Not a Film

Central Park Five

The Gatekeepers

Queen of Versailles

Being Elmo

Buck

Bully

Don't normally care for others tastes in film...just can't be bothered, really.

However, you listed "It Follows"...so I'm in...

Don't normally care for others tastes in film...just can't be bothered, really.

However, you listed "It Follows"...so I'm in...
As in you don't find people you agree with, or just not interested enough to bother knowing other people's tastes in movies?

Spotlight is one I really need to see this year.
Stellar. Ruffalo and Shreiber are great as are others. How Ruffalo was not nominated for a GG (for that movie) is perplexing.
Touchier subject? Seems like I have noticed more buzz around The Big Short and Concussion.
Concussion is kinda garbage. It's not awful I guess but not really in the league of these other films. Haven't seen the Big Short but will in the coming days. Spotlight is just solid performances and solid filmmaking. Room goes for the visceral but the 2nd half bugged and bored me. I've only seen the first 15 minutes of Revenant but it was a great 15 minutes. Beast of No Nation, 99 Homes, Bridge of Spies this week. Not going to bother with Carol, will probably skip Trumbo.

47. Boyhood:

Another huge swing for the fences that missed for me. I think Linklater does a similar thing with characters in movies with a better result (we will discuss that more later). Took a huge risk with this one that is for sure, and could have blown up in his face a dozen different ways. Just like the movie above it, I liked it a tad more on second viewing, and without that might not have made this list.
This seems to be a bit of a love/hate movie, other than for you, but I put it firmly as not only head and shoulders above anything that year but likely one of my top 50 all time. Since I very much respect your thoughts on movies, what is it that you didn't like? Saying it "swung and missed" or was done better in other of his movies didn't really give any idea of why.

dhockster said:
Gawain said:
Any list of foreign films that doesn't include Rochelle, Rochelle is null and void.
You mean that movie about a young girl's erotic journey from Milan to Minsk?
Funny, I saw Carol (which is excellent.. in my top 10 of the year) and I have been describing it as an updated Rochelle, Rochelle.

Spotlight is one I really need to see this year.
Stellar. Ruffalo and Shreiber are great as are others. How Ruffalo was not nominated for a GG (for that movie) is perplexing.
Touchier subject? Seems like I have noticed more buzz around The Big Short and Concussion.
Concussion is kinda garbage. It's not awful I guess but not really in the league of these other films. Haven't seen the Big Short but will in the coming days. Spotlight is just solid performances and solid filmmaking. Room goes for the visceral but the 2nd half bugged and bored me. I've only seen the first 15 minutes of Revenant but it was a great 15 minutes. Beast of No Nation, 99 Homes, Bridge of Spies this week. Not going to bother with Carol, will probably skip Trumbo.
Trumbo was pretty good, worth seeing IMO.

These I really liked, but have problems with the endings or a decent chunk of the movie:

50. It Follows:

I think it is the only "true" horror movie on the list. I didn't really like the ending - felt like a poor knock off of Let the Right one In. It gets more points for trying a different take on a tired genre (it is basically just a new take on a slasher movie). What it did for me is really ramp up the tensing. Shot and paced so well, and when this movie was "on", I don't think I was a scared as I was watching any other movie in the last 5 years.

I'm not a horror guy, and I don't know my top 50, but for me if I had to pick a horror it would have been A Cabin in the Woods, which was also a refreshing take on the genre.

Users who are viewing this thread