What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (1 Viewer)

Jason Isbell and Chris Stapleton (with Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls opening) coming up on Saturday.  Road tripping to the MD rather than hit up Philly on Friday.  1st Stapleton show, but this will be the 3rd Isbell show in 2016 alone (with two more coming up).

Next weekend without a show will be late September with most weekends having two.  One good thing about Jersey - everyone comes through multiple times.

Bonnaroo commentary:

My 4th Bonnaroo, and still as awesome as ever.  There were remarkably less people this year, which meant I got a larger camping spot than usual and closer to shows with less effort than in the past.  I was on the rail for Cymande, Blood Orange and Arkells, and right up front for LCD Soundsystem, among others.  Still the same awesome people, tons of high fives...it's the happiest place on earth for a reason.  Met up with fellow FBG The Aristocrat for a few shows, seems like a good dude.  Would've liked to hang out more but his phone was on the fritz and we had trouble meeting up for much of it.  I watched someone almost die at one point, saw some guy get his jaw broken, ate a bunch of great-yet-terribly-unhealthy food, and drank way too much beer.  Got to go into the comedy tent for the first time and saw Adam Devine from Workaholics along with some others.  Can't recommend it enough.

I wrote up a review of the acts I saw for a different site and will post it in spoilers here.  I won't rank a show unless I saw more than half of it, so some acts (Tame Impala and Kurt Vile for example) aren't in the list below.  Here's the summary version with A-F letter grades:

• A+:  LCD Soundsystem, Miguel
  • A:  Bully, Blood Orange
  • A-:  Marian Hill, FIDLAR, Arkells, Purity Ring, The Internet, Oh Wonder, Swim Deep
  • B+:  Waxahatchee, Dungen, M83, HAIM, Pearl Jam, Big Grams, Cymande, Ed Helms Bluegrass Superjam, Dead & Company
  • B:  Con Brio, Lizzo, Goldlink, St. Lucia, J. Cole, Lamb of God, Father John Misty, Sam Bush Band
  • B-:  Claypool Lennon Delirium, Lord Huron
  • C+:  The Floozies, Saint Motel, Lettuce
  • C:  Vulfpeck
  • nothing below C

Con Brio - B - energetic, fun, lively.  Good opener.

Waxahatchee - B+ - solid rock, captivating singer.  Had been on my list to see for awhile.
Bully - A - one of the best shows of the weekend.  Singer has a hell of a voice for such a small woman.  One of the mosh shows for the weekend.
Vulfpeck - C - one of the big letdowns.  Brought out BORNS to sing "Back Pocket" but that's about all that was noteworthy.  Special guest vocalist Antwan Stanley is pretty solid, definitely a bright spot.
Marian Hill - A- - one of my big surprise sets.  Seductive is probably the best way to describe it.  I knew the songs but was blown away by her stage presence.
Lizzo - B - active, loud, boisterous.  Fun set but a bit scatterbrained
The Floozies - C+ - sound was a bit off.  Meh.
Goldlink - B - average, interesting experimental hip-hop

Dungen - B+ - Swedish post-rock-ish.  Not much in the way of lyrics but a lively show.
St. Lucia - B - translated better than I thought it would to a live show.  Got a ####ty mid-day timeslot with no shade.
FIDLAR - A- - they opened with a cover of "Sabotage".  Really set the tone.
Arkells - A- - I've seen them plenty of times and they killed it as always.  Love these guys.
J. Cole - B - better than I was anticipating.  Brought out Chance the Rapper at one point.  Pleasantly surprised.
M83 - B+ - I feel this may have a higher score if I was able to stay for the whole set, but I couldn't.  Really excited to see them later this summer. 
LCD Soundsystem - A+ - one of two acts I'd give an A+ for the weekend.  Everything we'd hoped for and more.  Worth bailing early on M83 to get a great spot by the rail.
Purity Ring - A- - solid as always.  Fourth time seeing them, I think.  Don't deviate much from their album stuff but it's always mesmerizing.
Blood Orange - A - weird avant-garde art as its finest.  The closest thing to Prince that you'll see these days.

The Internet - A- - would've been better as a late night show, but still fun.  
Oh Wonder - A- - the surprise set of the weekend.  I knew nothing of these guys but got really into it.
HAIM - B+ - they can shred.
Claypool Lennon Delirium - B- - kinda boring
Lamb of God - B - it's a metal show, what do you expect?
Pearl Jam - B+ - I wanted to like it more but Eddie kept talking about politics.  He kinda lost me halfway through, but the PJ fans who were there all loved the set.
Miguel - A+ - absolutely blown away.  It's a setlong sexy dance party.  Everyone, male or female, leaves the show pregnant.
Big Grams - B+ - I like their music, I like both Outkast and Phantogram, but it was strict right to the EP save for a few little Phantogram/Outkast mashups.  Not bad but could've been better.  

Cymande - B+ - fun old British funk rockers.  Looked like they were having a blast.  Horns section was killer.
Saint Motel - C+ - meh.
Father John Misty - B - expected more.
Lettuce - C+ - meh.
Sam Bush Band - B - knew nothing of this guy, not too bad.
Swim Deep - A- - fun show, energetic, good crowd interaction considering they look like they're all like 19 years old.  Drummer looks like a young Fernando Torres
Lord Huron - B- - kinda boring
Ed Helms Bluegrass Superjam - B+ - pretty cool as usual.
Dead & Co - B+ - happy to say I saw them, they kept my attention for the most part but it was a little too jammy (obviously?) for my liking at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnaroo commentary:

My 4th Bonnaroo, and still as awesome as ever.  There were remarkably less people this year, which meant I got a larger camping spot than usual and closer to shows with less effort than in the past.  I was on the rail for Cymande, Blood Orange and Arkells, and right up front for LCD Soundsystem, among others.  Still the same awesome people, tons of high fives...it's the happiest place on earth for a reason.  Met up with fellow FBG The Aristocrat for a few shows, seems like a good dude.  Would've liked to hang out more but his phone was on the fritz and we had trouble meeting up for much of it.  I watched someone almost die at one point, saw some guy get his jaw broken, ate a bunch of great-yet-terribly-unhealthy food, and drank way too much beer.  Got to go into the comedy tent for the first time and saw Adam Devine from Workaholics along with some others.  Can't recommend it enough.

I wrote up a review of the acts I saw for a different site and will post it in spoilers here.  I won't rank a show unless I saw more than half of it, so some acts (Tame Impala and Kurt Vile for example) aren't in the list below.  Here's the summary version with A-F letter grades:

• A+:  LCD Soundsystem, Miguel
  • A:  Bully, Blood Orange
  • A-:  Marian Hill, FIDLAR, Arkells, Purity Ring, The Internet, Oh Wonder, Swim Deep
  • B+:  Waxahatchee, Dungen, M83, HAIM, Pearl Jam, Big Grams, Cymande, Ed Helms Bluegrass Superjam, Dead & Company
  • B:  Con Brio, Lizzo, Goldlink, St. Lucia, J. Cole, Lamb of God, Father John Misty, Sam Bush Band
  • B-:  Claypool Lennon Delirium, Lord Huron
  • C+:  The Floozies, Saint Motel, Lettuce
  • C:  Vulfpeck
  • nothing below C

Con Brio - B - energetic, fun, lively.  Good opener.

Waxahatchee - B+ - solid rock, captivating singer.  Had been on my list to see for awhile.
Bully - A - one of the best shows of the weekend.  Singer has a hell of a voice for such a small woman.  One of the mosh shows for the weekend.
Vulfpeck - C - one of the big letdowns.  Brought out BORNS to sing "Back Pocket" but that's about all that was noteworthy.  Special guest vocalist Antwan Stanley is pretty solid, definitely a bright spot.
Marian Hill - A- - one of my big surprise sets.  Seductive is probably the best way to describe it.  I knew the songs but was blown away by her stage presence.
Lizzo - B - active, loud, boisterous.  Fun set but a bit scatterbrained
The Floozies - C+ - sound was a bit off.  Meh.
Goldlink - B - average, interesting experimental hip-hop

Dungen - B+ - Swedish post-rock-ish.  Not much in the way of lyrics but a lively show.
St. Lucia - B - translated better than I thought it would to a live show.  Got a ####ty mid-day timeslot with no shade.
FIDLAR - A- - they opened with a cover of "Sabotage".  Really set the tone.
Arkells - A- - I've seen them plenty of times and they killed it as always.  Love these guys.
J. Cole - B - better than I was anticipating.  Brought out Chance the Rapper at one point.  Pleasantly surprised.
M83 - B+ - I feel this may have a higher score if I was able to stay for the whole set, but I couldn't.  Really excited to see them later this summer. 
LCD Soundsystem - A+ - one of two acts I'd give an A+ for the weekend.  Everything we'd hoped for and more.  Worth bailing early on M83 to get a great spot by the rail.
Purity Ring - A- - solid as always.  Fourth time seeing them, I think.  Don't deviate much from their album stuff but it's always mesmerizing.
Blood Orange - A - weird avant-garde art as its finest.  The closest thing to Prince that you'll see these days.

The Internet - A- - would've been better as a late night show, but still fun.  
Oh Wonder - A- - the surprise set of the weekend.  I knew nothing of these guys but got really into it.
HAIM - B+ - they can shred.
Claypool Lennon Delirium - B- - kinda boring
Lamb of God - B - it's a metal show, what do you expect?
Pearl Jam - B+ - I wanted to like it more but Eddie kept talking about politics.  He kinda lost me halfway through, but the PJ fans who were there all loved the set.
Miguel - A+ - absolutely blown away.  It's a setlong sexy dance party.  Everyone, male or female, leaves the show pregnant.
Big Grams - B+ - I like their music, I like both Outkast and Phantogram, but it was strict right to the EP save for a few little Phantogram/Outkast mashups.  Not bad but could've been better.  

Cymande - B+ - fun old British funk rockers.  Looked like they were having a blast.  Horns section was killer.
Saint Motel - C+ - meh.
Father John Misty - B - expected more.
Lettuce - C+ - meh.
Sam Bush Band - B - knew nothing of this guy, not too bad.
Swim Deep - A- - fun show, energetic, good crowd interaction considering they look like they're all like 19 years old.  Drummer looks like a young Fernando Torres
Lord Huron - B- - kinda boring
Ed Helms Bluegrass Superjam - B+ - pretty cool as usual.
Dead & Co - B+ - happy to say I saw them, they kept my attention for the most part but it was a little too jammy (obviously?) for my liking at times.
I should probably post an update as well.  Short one FBGs related is that Tasker provided my group with beers we can't possibly buy in a transaction that I think we both won on.  However, I got the sweeter deal as those beers were delicious and there was a three man bocce ball match for the final beer (I did not win and the winner did not share, per rules specified prior to the bocce set).  There was much bragging about that final beer and how it tasted like sweet victory.

Also, I may or may not have been trying to run down a 19 year old for strong parts of the weekend and maybe that embarrassing story should be told.

Thanks again, Tasker.  It was fun hanging out and my GABF buddies loved the beers.  You're a good man.

Also, a B+ for Pearl Jam is rather low as you weren't as close as some of us drunken idiots were.  Thanks for the A- on The Internet though.  I think that grade might be taken with a small grain of salt as I was and you may have been on performance enhancing drugs.

Also, apologies on my phone gaffs but yelling "Tasker" around three different trees in a very stupid attempt to find a random dude at a party event on my part is worth the story.  As well as having a group of 30 yell it when I came back and they knew what I was going to do.  Bonnaroo rules.

Cage the Elephant tomorrow.
Amazing - if you get a chance to see them you should.  Lead singer makes Jagger look low energy. The studio music doesn't do justice to the live show so if you like their music even a little bit then don't hesitate.

Phish plays live for the first time in six months at Wrigley Field this weekend, a new venue for them IIRC. I'll catch them in Philly next week. They are bound to have some new material and if you have not seen them lately (or ever), now is the chance to see them at the top of their game. They have been playing really well the last few years.

Heading to the last 2 days of Summerfest in Milwaukee:

July 9: OMD, Howard Jones, and maybe Neil Finn (Brewers game before)

July 10: Sting and Peter Gabriel

The last time I went to Summerfest was 1994.

TheAristocrat said:
I should probably post an update as well.  Short one FBGs related is that Tasker provided my group with beers we can't possibly buy in a transaction that I think we both won on.  However, I got the sweeter deal as those beers were delicious and there was a three man bocce ball match for the final beer (I did not win and the winner did not share, per rules specified prior to the bocce set).  There was much bragging about that final beer and how it tasted like sweet victory.

Also, I may or may not have been trying to run down a 19 year old for strong parts of the weekend and maybe that embarrassing story should be told.

Thanks again, Tasker.  It was fun hanging out and my GABF buddies loved the beers.  You're a good man.

Also, a B+ for Pearl Jam is rather low as you weren't as close as some of us drunken idiots were.  Thanks for the A- on The Internet though.  I think that grade might be taken with a small grain of salt as I was and you may have been on performance enhancing drugs.

Also, apologies on my phone gaffs but yelling "Tasker" around three different trees in a very stupid attempt to find a random dude at a party event on my part is worth the story.  As well as having a group of 30 yell it when I came back and they knew what I was going to do.  Bonnaroo rules.
I only wish I could've given you two more beers....I forgot I had them in the trunk of my car and not in the cooler.  It was definitely a win/win transaction.  Glad you and your friends enjoyed the beers.

I was definitely in the back at Pearl Jam....things were a little hazy around that time on Saturday night, we were hitting the beers pretty hard back at camp during that lightning delay.  It was so packed at Pearl Jam that I ended up leaving and going to Miguel.  I was expecting to stay for 1-2 songs but he was amazing, really got me back into the swing of things for the long haul that night.

I only wish I could've given you two more beers....I forgot I had them in the trunk of my car and not in the cooler.  It was definitely a win/win transaction.  Glad you and your friends enjoyed the beers.

I was definitely in the back at Pearl Jam....things were a little hazy around that time on Saturday night, we were hitting the beers pretty hard back at camp during that lightning delay.  It was so packed at Pearl Jam that I ended up leaving and going to Miguel.  I was expecting to stay for 1-2 songs but he was amazing, really got me back into the swing of things for the long haul that night.
Reading your and TheAristocrat's posts has me even more excited for WayHome in a few weeks. I listen to my playlist for it almost every day.

the only other concert I've bought tickets for recently is Plants and Animals in Toronto in October.

Still holding out for Frightened Rabbit, Augustines, The Hold Steady or Hot Hot Heat to announce Toronto shows but no luck so far.

Saw Davy Knowles last night at the Mint in LA.  Cool little club.  Anywaythis guy is going to absolutely blow up (still in his 20's).  He was always good individually (played with Satriani/Chickenfoot) but his original Back Door Slam band was so-so in my opinion.  Recently moved to Chicago to tighten up his band.  Added a phenomenal bass player and already had great guys on keyboard and the drums.  These guys sound TIGHT.  Heavy blues influence but his new stuff yet to be released is more rock focused.  YouTube videos don't do him justice - way, way better now IMO.

If you get a chance and like blues/rock trust me catch his show.  I know he's at HOB in Dallas on 7/2. Also going to be in Austin, Houston, NY, Philly, etc.

Davy Knowles tour

Just got back from a Gin Blossoms show here in Austin. Good show but short - only an hour. 

They did announce they are going back into the studio in a couple of months. That's cool.

The Sting/Peter Gabriel show is excellent - tour just started, so hopefully this posting gets you off the fence if you were.  Caught it in Camden, NJ at one of the local sheds last night - if you like either artist I would highly recommend it.

Never saw Peter Gabriel before, but was very impressed - did not realize he had such a great vocal range live.  His take on Sting's "If You Love Somebody" was unexpected, but excellent.

Neither artist leaves the stage all night - they pretty much trade off song-by-song including covering each other's material.

The Sting/Peter Gabriel show is excellent - tour just started, so hopefully this posting gets you off the fence if you were.  Caught it in Camden, NJ at one of the local sheds last night - if you like either artist I would highly recommend it.

Never saw Peter Gabriel before, but was very impressed - did not realize he had such a great vocal range live.  His take on Sting's "If You Love Somebody" was unexpected, but excellent.

Neither artist leaves the stage all night - they pretty much trade off song-by-song including covering each other's material.
Awesome.  Really looking forward to this show on the 10th.  Thanks for the info.   :thumbup:

Saw The Dan Band Saturday at HoB Dallas, second time I had seen them in 10 days as I also caught them in Vegas. One-trick pony, but an amazing trick. Dallas show was actually better than the Vegas show, better production and a much bigger crowd. They had more people in HoB than I have seen for other known acts.

Saw Toadies on Sunday as they introduced two new Toadies related beers at Martin House Brewery in Fort Worth. Great set as always, With the two beers called Stars Above and Hell Below, they pulled an extra song or two from that album. One new song played and talked of going into the studio in two weeks to start on an album of new material. I will admit that I'm the biggest Toadies homer there is, but it was really great to watch them yesterday, having fun, looking like they still enjoyed playing Tyler and Possum Kingdom for the infinite time. It's also cool to see that they really have their setlists down. They don't have to play the same songs in the same order and still get a solid show each time.

Going to Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, & Of Mice & Men Saturday night in Tampa. Not really looking forward to being outside on the lawn in 100° heat. Thanks for the free tickets TM. 

Going to Kool and the Gang Friday night, Sheila E on sat and Foreigner on Monday, yep the fair circuit is in full swing.

Check those mailboxes - a number of the LiveNation sheds in my area (NY/NJ) have a 4th of July sale - tickets for select shows (mainly weekdays) for either $15 or $30.  Not sure if this includes the ticketing fee or not, since I am already ticketed for the shows I am interested in.

Code is FIREWORK if you just want to randomly check a show, but the mails do have a link to a list with all shows featuring the offer.  Limited supplies per the mail.

Here is our list of upcoming shows ticketed

Steely Dan + Steve Winwood

Duran Duran

Garth Brooks

Hall and Oates + Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings + Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue

5SOS (taking the nieces)

Kenny Chesney

Luke Bryan

Springsteen

Gregg Allman + ZZ Top

Florida Georgia Line

Heart + Joan Jett + Cheap Trick

O.A.R.

Goo Goo Dolls + Collective Soul

Alabama Shakes + Gary Clark Jr.

Jason Isbell

Counting Crows + Rob Thomas

Keith Urban

Jason Aldean

Def Leppard + REO Speedwagon + Tesla

Seen most of them before except for Garth, H&O, Duran x2, Steely Dan, 5SOS, and Gregg Allman.  Going to be a busy summer...

Dog tired, but finally saw Garth Brooks - caught one of the Yankee Stadium shows.  Never had seen him before previously.

Unfortunately, I drew the Saturday show - so instead of an 830PM start and head for the exits at 1100PM, we had a three-hour plus rain delay to kick things off at 1145PM and finish just before 200AM.  Delay was the right move - lightning in the area and a monsoon around 1030PM.  We made the call to drive to the Stadium rather than take public transit - so there was a good side (we did not have to leave early to catch last train at 122AM) and a bad side (we went early to miss the bulk of the traffic, so we were in the Stadium parking lots by 700PM).

Great show, but not sure I need to need to catch it again when he hits Philly in whenever.  Played all the classics (Thunder Rolls, Low Places, The Dance, We Shall Be Free), some deep album cut snippets (It's Your Song), plus a number of covers (one of my favorites "Shameless" which is the Billy Joel tune he covered, Night Moves, Piano Man).  And we got the four song set from Trisha Yearwood.

Like I said, great night - just wish now I had tickets for the Friday show that went off on time.  Going to be rough making it all the way through Hall and Oates later today near Philly...

Dog tired, but finally saw Garth Brooks - caught one of the Yankee Stadium shows.  Never had seen him before previously.

Unfortunately, I drew the Saturday show - so instead of an 830PM start and head for the exits at 1100PM, we had a three-hour plus rain delay to kick things off at 1145PM and finish just before 200AM.  Delay was the right move - lightning in the area and a monsoon around 1030PM.  We made the call to drive to the Stadium rather than take public transit - so there was a good side (we did not have to leave early to catch last train at 122AM) and a bad side (we went early to miss the bulk of the traffic, so we were in the Stadium parking lots by 700PM).

Great show, but not sure I need to need to catch it again when he hits Philly in whenever.  Played all the classics (Thunder Rolls, Low Places, The Dance, We Shall Be Free), some deep album cut snippets (It's Your Song), plus a number of covers (one of my favorites "Shameless" which is the Billy Joel tune he covered, Night Moves, Piano Man).  And we got the four song set from Trisha Yearwood.

Like I said, great night - just wish now I had tickets for the Friday show that went off on time.  Going to be rough making it all the way through Hall and Oates later today near Philly...
I knew Billy Joel wrote this but I did not realize he sang it? Is that true?

Brian Fallon last Sunday, Strumbellas this week, The Jayhawks in two weeks and Bob Mould in September for now. 

The Fallon show was great. His solo album is stellar and deserving to be on multiple Top Ten lists at the end of the year. 

Saw Chris Cornell last week at Overture Hall in Madison. I've seen him several times, and he always delivers. Played for two hours. Covered everything from his new Higher Truth album, through Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog. Even some Beatles and Dylan. 

Great show. 

I'm likely going to break down and buy a Sunday day pass to TURFTo in September. I have a charity event that weekend so can't do the whole thing, but Sunday has Death Cab, The New Pornographers, Matthew Good, Jimmy Eat World and most importantly, The Hold Steady playing Boys and Girls in America in entirety. 

Steely Dan / Steve Winwood at Bethel Woods last Saturday.

Winwood still sounds amazing, and did about 10 songs, which were tilted heavily to Spencer Davis/Traffic/Blind Faith. I think "Higher Love" was the only 80's+ song he did. That was fine with me.

Steely Dan were up and down - Fagan's vocals were great on some songs, but missed on others (Aja in particular didn't sound so hot.) I've read some interviews where he's clearly not thrilled about how the music biz changed, making to so they have to tour to make up for lost royalties, and it kind of showed. They got better as the show went on (Hey Nineteen was particularly good, so I was happy, as I love that song), but by the end of the show, the old guys were tired and kind of sputtered to the end (the whole show was delayed an hour-plus due to lightning, so Steely Dan didn't finish until midnight).  

Would see Winwood again in a heartbeat. Steely Dan... well, I'm glad I saw them, and a few songs were really good, but I wouldn't pay to see them again.

Steely Dan / Steve Winwood at Bethel Woods last Saturday.

Winwood still sounds amazing, and did about 10 songs, which were tilted heavily to Spencer Davis/Traffic/Blind Faith. I think "Higher Love" was the only 80's+ song he did. That was fine with me.

Steely Dan were up and down - Fagan's vocals were great on some songs, but missed on others (Aja in particular didn't sound so hot.) I've read some interviews where he's clearly not thrilled about how the music biz changed, making to so they have to tour to make up for lost royalties, and it kind of showed. They got better as the show went on (Hey Nineteen was particularly good, so I was happy, as I love that song), but by the end of the show, the old guys were tired and kind of sputtered to the end (the whole show was delayed an hour-plus due to lightning, so Steely Dan didn't finish until midnight).  

Would see Winwood again in a heartbeat. Steely Dan... well, I'm glad I saw them, and a few songs were really good, but I wouldn't pay to see them again.
Saw this show a week earlier outside of Philly in Camden.  Had not yet posted a review, but this pretty much sums up my experience as well, albeit without the delay.

Saw a great triple bill last night - Hall and Oates, with Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue plus Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings as the openers.

SJ & TDK were great - had seen them previously headlining at a local theater, so was concerned that they could not hold an amphitheater, but they did.  Miss SJ was great, even with the slightly less energy due to the cancer treatments.

TS & OA were equally good - was surprised they went on 2nd and after SJ & TDK - seemed like the two openers played the same amount of time.  If you have seen TS before, this opener show featured a little more guitar and singing that I have seen previously (have not caught them in a few years) from them (actually, my first time not catching them at Jazz Fest or in a headlining show).

H&O were solid - a couple of technical glitches and Oates blew a lyric on one of the hits, but otherwise worth seeing (my 1st time catching them).  Daryl Hall has definitely lost a bit on the voice, but it was listenable for sure.  Band is tight, really good.  Only 15 songs, plus a few covers thrown in at the end that seems to be outside the norm for their show.  Bonus is that the show is here on LiveNationTV on Yahoo for at least the next seven hours or so from this post on Monday 7/11 at 100PM Eastern.

Would fully recommend the show and catching all three if you were inclined.

My friend is dragging me to Alice in Chains concert later this month.....not sure how I feel about that.  I love them but without Staley have no clue what to expect. 

Also seeing Flight of the Concords and Phish in Colorado in September. 

My friend is dragging me to Alice in Chains concert later this month.....not sure how I feel about that.  I love them but without Staley have no clue what to expect. 

Also seeing Flight of the Concords and Phish in Colorado in September. 
I saw Alice in Chains a few years ago. Just enjoy it.

Saw the Def Leppard/REO Sppedwagon/Tesla show in NJ last night.  Standard set list from the three, with DL throwing in "Switch 625" towards the end beyond their normal set.

Leppard brought the A game to PNC last night - great energy, sound was great in the seats.  Would recommend it if you've never seen them or are a big fan and don't mind hearing only the run of hits they play now.

Saw the Def Leppard/REO Sppedwagon/Tesla show in NJ last night.  Standard set list from the three, with DL throwing in "Switch 625" towards the end beyond their normal set.
I think Switch 625 is in their normal set. Going by the stats on SetlistFM they've played it 24 times out of 25 concerts.

DL has kinda fallen in my ranks but I'd still be interested in seeing them depending on the set list. Love, love, love the old stuff (esp HnD) but not too big a fan of the newer pop/rock stuff.

I think Switch 625 is in their normal set. Going by the stats on SetlistFM they've played it 24 times out of 25 concerts.

DL has kinda fallen in my ranks but I'd still be interested in seeing them depending on the set list. Love, love, love the old stuff (esp HnD) but not too big a fan of the newer pop/rock stuff.
I've seen them quite a few times, have found Elliot's voice a bit hit or miss live, curious how he is this tour (though I missed the Toronto date already - Saturday night in Toronto had Def Leppard/Tesla/REO at the Amphitheatre, Guns N Roses at Rogers Centre and the next morning was the Molson Indy downtown - basically it was, presumably, the greatest gathering of mullets the world has ever seen).

Also, my weekend will include Arcade Fire, The Killers, LCD Soundsystem, Foals, Arkells, M83, Wolf Parade, Nathaniel Rateliff, Stars, Haim, The Arcs, Third Eye Blind, FIDLAR, Phosphorescent, Kurt Vile, Matt & Kim, The Struts, White Lung, Mac Demarco among others.

Holy ####### ####

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Saw Guns n Roses last Thursday and thought they were fantastic. Very excited to see Temple of the Dog come November even with out Vedder. 

Saw three shows in four days, so here it goes...

Thursday - Duran Duran + Chic + Tokimonsta >>> Wanted to see Duranx2 for the longest time and so did 20 friends.  We did the lawn and had a great time.  Tokimonsta you can skip - DJ set for 25 minutes.  Chic was a blast, with Nile Rodgers giving you a mini-Wiki to start each tune.  Duran was really good and I was happy that I finally caught them.  Glad to see "The a Reflex" back in the set - would have sucked to see them and not get that classic MTV Video song.

Saturday - Alabama Shakes + Gary Clark Jr. + Presevation Hall Jazz Band (PHJB) + Chicano Batman (XPN Festival) >>> Bonus from the monster storm that blew through Camden right as the gates were set to open - PHJB got their set at the park festival site cut after one song, so they pushed back AS and GCJ to accommodate them at the amphitheater.  Chicano Batman was better than Tokimonsta, but that was a low bar.  PHJB was good in a short set.  Gary Clark Jr. again showed why his star keeps rising - loved "When My Train Pulls In" and "Bright Lights".  Never saw the Shakes before this, but will see them again - Brittany Howard is a bada** on stage and loved the performance even though I only knew one song going in.

Sunday - Guns N Roses + Lenny Kravitz >>> last minute audible to see this after hearing all of the reviews from the prior weeks shows in Philly and NY the night before.  Always wanted to catch Lenny Kravitz and he did not disappoint - considered that a bonus for me (would have gone to see GNR even if Tokimonsta had opened).  GNR was fantastic - if you are on the fence about going to this show, get off the fence and go.  Glad I made the last minute decision to go.  If your city does not have a GNR show coming up, get a new city.  Seriously,  Axl, Duff, and Slash brought it fierce.  Dog tired getting up for work today, but so worth it.  I would have dropped two or three of the songs or had this one start a little earlier so we got out before Midnight, but that is why I don't run these events.  Even my Mrs. dal_boys_phan liked it and she hates GNR.

Next up...double duty in Camden with Luke Bryan and Heart/Cheap Trick/Joan Jett next weekend.

Also, my weekend will include Arcade Fire, The Killers, LCD Soundsystem, Foals, Arkells, M83, Wolf Parade, Nathaniel Rateliff, Stars, Haim, The Arcs, Third Eye Blind, FIDLAR, Phosphorescent, Kurt Vile, Matt & Kim, The Struts, White Lung, Mac Demarco among others.

Holy ####### ####

:wub: :wub: :wub:
This was a great weekend, felt like every show I went to was incredible (except The Struts). @Steve Taskerand @UniAlias were great neighbours, had an awesome time sharing beers, listening to music and hanging out with them and our other non FBG friends all weekend. Our other neighbours were great (let's never listen to that podcast...). Everyone we met was super positive all weekend. I lost my voice Saturday-ish and it still hasn't come back yet. I think I'll blame it on the dust (couldn't be the drinking, smoking, yelling, talking, lack of sleep, right?).

In terms of shows, Foals were absolutely incredible, I somehow found myself in a mosh pit, losing my buddy, my sunglasses, my flip flops and likely some of my dignity in the process. Someone saw me lose the flip flops and returned them to me. It was one of the absolute best crowds I've ever been part of. Everyone so into it, going hard, but also looking out for each other. This video captures it well (not mine)

Ended up in the 2nd row for Wolf Parade and they were fantastic as well. All 3 headliners were what you would expect and more... I have a full (but long) review of the weekend that I'll likely post on a blog and can post here as well if anyone is interested, but just wanted to say what a great time it was. In terms of the headliners, I can't imagine anything topping it.

Users who are viewing this thread