Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Judge Smails

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music

Recommended Posts

Kelly C was great.  Kelsie Ballerini opened up (my favorite country gal) but KC's vocals are on another level.  She was engaging, funny, played all her hits.

Great show.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 10:22 AM, Apple Jack said:

Seems possible thom could change his tune with David Byrne inducting them.

:popcorn:

their/his reasoning was so stupid.

hope it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 5:12 AM, El Floppo said:

I wanted to see them in a tiny spot last year but was the one night the wife had made other plans for us. I think this will be a bigger, but not big venue. Turns out fontaines DC, an Irish band, is opening for them -also is one of my favorite albums of the year. Pretty psyched.

Was randomly singing parts of "Love Song" in the kitchen the other day. Just being goofy. I sing out "I carried a watermelon! I want to feel vulnerable."

Wife, from downstairs, who has no clue who Idles is, "Is that from Dirty Dancing?"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had floor tickets to Mumford on Sunday. Rolled up at doors open and ended up right in front, one person off the rail. Awesome awesome show. Not a lot of flair, just great music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Worm said:

We had floor tickets to Mumford on Sunday. Rolled up at doors open and ended up right in front, one person off the rail. Awesome awesome show. Not a lot of flair, just great music.

Mumford is here this weekend.  Family concert - we are all going.  Saw them once before and they ooze musical talent.  Should be a great show.

Edited by Sand
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going go the Garth Brooks show on Saturday. Dude sold out the Stadium where the Cardinals play in Phoenix. I do enjoy some of his music at times but I cant say I am a regular listener. Having said that I can probably sing 20+ of his songs. I am going more for the spectacle of seeing a legend in a sold out stadium that size. I got a hotel with my wife for the night so hoping Garth gets her in the mood.:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 9:02 PM, prosopis said:

I have always felt that Stapleton copied Johnsons style. I suppose you could say that about a lot of artists but this one really stands out to me. Jamey Johnson is fantastic and super under rated.

Good call.  Lots of similarities but I think Stapleton naturally has more soul.  Mix of country and blues and he hits notes that Johnson doesn't. That being said I loved Johnson's show.  He had a lot of celebrities he introduced on stage, including Tom Petty's wife.  The proceeded to do 3 Petty songs including Mary Jane's Last Dance.  Great stuff.  I'm a fan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing The Chirch for their Starfish tour next month and Nitzer Ebb and Joe Jackson in May (not together). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

woodstock 50

Day 1: The Killers, Miley Cyrus, Santana, The Lumineers, The Raconteurs, Robert Plant, John Fogerty, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, Run the Jewels, The Head and the Heart, Maggie Rogers, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Anderson East, Princess Nokia, John Sebastian

Day 2: Dead and Company, Chance the Rapper, Black Keys, Sturgill Simpson, Greta Van Fleet, Portugal. The Man, Leon Bridges, Gary Clark Jr., Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes, Dawes, Margo Price, Country Joe, Rival Sons, Emily King, Soccer Mommy, Taylor Bennett

Day 3: Jay-Z, Imagine Dragons, Halsey, Cage The Elephant, Brandi Carlile, Janelle Monae, Young The Giant, Courtney Barnett, Common, Vince Staples, Judah and the Lion, Earl Sweatshirt, Boygenius, the Zombies, Canned Heat, Hot Tuna, Riot, Cherry Glazerr

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/woodstock-50-details-full-lineup-with-jay-z-dead-company-killers-809290/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garth Brooks last night was incredible. Easily the biggest crowd I have ever been in and the energy was off the charts. This morning I read in the paper he set an Arizona record for the biggest crowd at State Farm stadium. It was just shy of 80,000 people :eek: I believe the article also said this was a state record for any event in Arizona.

The traffic reflected this. We had a hotel and ubered every where which was absolutely the right call. I saw $75.00 for parking at the venue. Our three Ubers were less then that I did not have to deal with driving so I felt like I won there.

Easton Corbin opened with a 45 minute set which was a surprise. I am not to familiar with him but the crowd was pretty happy with the surprise. 

Garth came out and did over 2 hours and was balls to the wall the entire time. Just crazy how he works a crowd and everyone knows every song. Larry Fitzgerald came our and presented Garth with a guitar and an Az Cardinals jersey for setting the record for attendance.  He played about every song I wanted to hear and then some I forgot he sang. At end of show he came out and did what he calls Garth sings the cards. This meant he would sing songs that were being held up by people in the crowd. No band just him and his guitar. I forget the name of the song but he said it was really a piano song while all he had was a guitar so he sang it acapella with the crowd and it was perfectly on key. Very impressive.

I really don't like giant crowds but this was worth it.

He is only doing five cities on this tour. If you get a chance I highly recommend it. Whether you like the music or not, its quite a spectacle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-eric-clapton-announces-2019-crossroads-guitar-festival

A buddy texted me this morning and asked if I would want to go to this. We’re going to try to do it. It will be expensive but seems worth it for the experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what is going on with the festival, but they keep dropping ticket prices for the Epicenter Festival in May in Rockingham NC. Foo Fighters headlines Sunday. Wasn't going to go but ended up getting a one day ticket for $20!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 4:06 PM, prosopis said:

Garth Brooks last night was incredible. Easily the biggest crowd I have ever been in and the energy was off the charts. This morning I read in the paper he set an Arizona record for the biggest crowd at State Farm stadium. It was just shy of 80,000 people :eek: I believe the article also said this was a state record for any event in Arizona.

The traffic reflected this. We had a hotel and ubered every where which was absolutely the right call. I saw $75.00 for parking at the venue. Our three Ubers were less then that I did not have to deal with driving so I felt like I won there.

Easton Corbin opened with a 45 minute set which was a surprise. I am not to familiar with him but the crowd was pretty happy with the surprise. 

Garth came out and did over 2 hours and was balls to the wall the entire time. Just crazy how he works a crowd and everyone knows every song. Larry Fitzgerald came our and presented Garth with a guitar and an Az Cardinals jersey for setting the record for attendance.  He played about every song I wanted to hear and then some I forgot he sang. At end of show he came out and did what he calls Garth sings the cards. This meant he would sing songs that were being held up by people in the crowd. No band just him and his guitar. I forget the name of the song but he said it was really a piano song while all he had was a guitar so he sang it acapella with the crowd and it was perfectly on key. Very impressive.

I really don't like giant crowds but this was worth it.

He is only doing five cities on this tour. If you get a chance I highly recommend it. Whether you like the music or not, its quite a spectacle.

after college c'91-2, , I spent a couple months driving cross-country with a buddy. stopped in nashville to see some cousins I didn't really know (my mom's first cousin and his kids). the youngest daughter had opened up a popular spot for live music and I think food, so she took us there. tiny place, but was packed- they did a feature night for song-writers... people who wrote the hits, but didn't necessarily perform.

the place was going kind of insane for some reason while this one writer and his friend played. I don't know country music at all (and knew it less then), so was shuked when we left mid-set at somebody practically in tears outside raving about getting to see Garth. It was Garth Brooks at the Bluebird, with whoever the guy is who writes or co-writes his tunes. wasn't my musical scene at all, but in retrospect wish I had given it more of a college try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction is tonight. 

the wife did her back in earlier in the week, so I'm sure- given her history of ruining these kinds of things- will want to leave after an hour of sitting. I'm guessing it's going to be close to five hours, so not sure I'll blame her for wanting to bail tbh. but it'll probably be right before a band I want to see- like the Zombies, or whomever fills in for Radiohead (still hoping some or all of Radiohead makes a surprise appearance... but expectations are low).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to see Dream Theater in Philadelphia at the Tower Theatre in a couple weeks.  Definitely not my music wheelhouse.  This show is a birthday gift for my oldest step son.  If there are any fans of the band out there, let me know what songs to listen to for show prep.  I did watch a video for one of their songs from their newest album and I liked it, but I don't know any of their other material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction is tonight. 

the wife did her back in earlier in the week, so I'm sure- given her history of ruining these kinds of things- will want to leave after an hour of sitting. I'm guessing it's going to be close to five hours, so not sure I'll blame her for wanting to bail tbh. but it'll probably be right before a band I want to see- like the Zombies, or whomever fills in for Radiohead (still hoping some or all of Radiohead makes a surprise appearance... but expectations are low).

Wife doesn't want to get there on time. Prefers to miss ####. Why bother going...we can be super late and just watch it on TV. And not pay for tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Wife doesn't want to get there on time. Prefers to miss ####. Why bother going...we can be super late and just watch it on TV. And not pay for tickets.

Ironical... she really wanted to see Stevie, who went first- so we missed a bit of it. 

Interesting night. Our seats which looked great on the seating chart, were way up in the rafters, so mostly watched the jumbotron.

stevie sounded great- at 236 years old or not. Also was the highlight with her acceptance speech which was personal, funny and informative...nobody else's was even interesting. Even Harry Styles had a good speech...but was clearly ghost written, which provided some humor and poignant moments.

####### Radiohead. Drummer and guitarist spoke, but really couldn't have been bothered. No music. Even David Byrne seemed disinterested.

Roxy Music sounded great...will have to look into the first song which I didn't recognize. But Bryan Ferry just listed names in his speech...no stories or insight... Did great with what's left of his voice singing.

Reznors intro to the Cure was great, as was Robert Smith's complete and genuine flabbergasted amazement at the outpouring of love and appreciation from the crowd. Seemed genuinely overwhelmed by the moment. And The Cure...asa an active touring band, sounded incredible.

Heard that Janet wasn't performing so bailed with her and def leper still to go. I had taken some edibles and had had a long week so was feeling burnt. The edibles played a role in that decision completely forgetting that the zombies were also still to go...I had wanted to see them.

As a 50ish couple, I've gotten used to being the age of most concert goers parents at shows... The opposite was true here. Geezer convention.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Thile has the Punch Brothers at the top of their game. Every member of the band is just extraordinarily skilled and they work together wonderfully. I've seen them many times and would say particularly the banjo player Noam Pikelny has really come into his own these past few years. Gabe Witcher the fiddle player has always been awesome, and obviously Thile is the best mandolin player in the world bar none. Highly recommended show if you like the style - which I call "Chamber Bluegrass."

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stones tour postponed - Mick needs "a medical treatment"

 

Keith still doing fine

Edited by ffldrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Better Oblivion Community Center (Conor Oberst & Phoebe Bridgers) in Brooklyn last night, they were great.  I figured they'd play everything from the album and a handful of each of their own songs, but the cool part was they swapped a couple times - Conor would sing one of Phoebe's songs and vice versa.  One of the highlights was a punk cover of Phoebe's "Funeral," hoping video of that ends up on Youtube/Instagram/whatever soon.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

Saw Better Oblivion Community Center (Conor Oberst & Phoebe Bridgers) in Brooklyn last night, they were great.  I figured they'd play everything from the album and a handful of each of their own songs, but the cool part was they swapped a couple times - Conor would sing one of Phoebe's songs and vice versa.  One of the highlights was a punk cover of Phoebe's "Funeral," hoping video of that ends up on Youtube/Instagram/whatever soon.  

I like her. And she seems to be a bit of an Emmylou in search of her Gram what with the Ryan Adams and now Conor connections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 8:15 PM, prosopis said:

I am going go the Garth Brooks show on Saturday. Dude sold out the Stadium where the Cardinals play in Phoenix. I do enjoy some of his music at times but I cant say I am a regular listener. Having said that I can probably sing 20+ of his songs. I am going more for the spectacle of seeing a legend in a sold out stadium that size. I got a hotel with my wife for the night so hoping Garth gets her in the mood.:D

I saw him in the fall. I’m not a big country music fan. He is incredible. He makes you feel like that is the only show he will do. His interactions and energy with the crowd is amazing. It was also amazing to hear how long his band mates have been with him. That says a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 3/29/2019 at 12:56 PM, Jutz said:

I am going to see Dream Theater in Philadelphia at the Tower Theatre in a couple weeks.  Definitely not my music wheelhouse.  This show is a birthday gift for my oldest step son.  If there are any fans of the band out there, let me know what songs to listen to for show prep.  I did watch a video for one of their songs from their newest album and I liked it, but I don't know any of their other material.

They are playing the entire Metropolis pt2: Scenes from a Memory disc so I would start with that

Edited by Eulogys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 11:07 AM, Apple Jack said:

Did Garth do Calling Baton Rouge live? I've never heard his version but was told he used to play it.

Yes he did. It was awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 3:06 PM, prosopis said:

Garth Brooks last night was incredible. Easily the biggest crowd I have ever been in and the energy was off the charts. This morning I read in the paper he set an Arizona record for the biggest crowd at State Farm stadium. It was just shy of 80,000 people :eek: I believe the article also said this was a state record for any event in Arizona.

The traffic reflected this. We had a hotel and ubered every where which was absolutely the right call. I saw $75.00 for parking at the venue. Our three Ubers were less then that I did not have to deal with driving so I felt like I won there.

Easton Corbin opened with a 45 minute set which was a surprise. I am not to familiar with him but the crowd was pretty happy with the surprise. 

Garth came out and did over 2 hours and was balls to the wall the entire time. Just crazy how he works a crowd and everyone knows every song. Larry Fitzgerald came our and presented Garth with a guitar and an Az Cardinals jersey for setting the record for attendance.  He played about every song I wanted to hear and then some I forgot he sang. At end of show he came out and did what he calls Garth sings the cards. This meant he would sing songs that were being held up by people in the crowd. No band just him and his guitar. I forget the name of the song but he said it was really a piano song while all he had was a guitar so he sang it acapella with the crowd and it was perfectly on key. Very impressive.

I really don't like giant crowds but this was worth it.

He is only doing five cities on this tour. If you get a chance I highly recommend it. Whether you like the music or not, its quite a spectacle.

So jealous! #1 on my concert bucket list. I've read so many reviews and accounts just like yours of his shows. 

My parents were country music fans so growing up pre-iPod and pre-smart phone, I listened to whatever they had on when we were in the car. Garth WAS my childhood. :lol:  I still know all of the words to most of his songs because they were so popular on the radio, it's practically all I heard for years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Stapleton and George Strait with Chris Jansen and Ashley McBryde this weekend in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in ATL. Missed Ashley because of the ridiculous traffic, which I hated because she's the one of that group that I haven't seen before, so she's still on my list. 

Huge crowd for Stapleton and Strait. Stapleton killed as always. Strait doesn't even have to do anything at this point. He just stands there and strums and sings and the place goes crazy. My only complaint on George was that he sang about 6 songs in a row off of his newly released (like, the day before) album. They weren't bad, but nobody knew them, and he replaced some of his well-known hits with them in the set list. But other than that, it was a great show and good atmosphere despite being the home of the dirty birds. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still piecing my summer schedule together. 

I have tickets for The Strokes in Toronto. They're #1 on my list of bands I haven't seen and they haven't been in Toronto in 10+ years so it's a no brainer. @Steve Tasker if you're interested in this I actually bought 4 tickets, not knowing who would come with me but so far only TW is, so I have two extras that I'll likely put on StubHub soon. 

I also have tickets for Cage the Elephant/Beck/Spoon but I may sell them because I want to go to a festival and it's looking more and more like it will be Woodstock50 where Cage the Elephant is playing anyway. 

Locally, Tokyo Police Club is playing in a couple weeks, then The Beaches in mid-May. Any small club local indie show is a no brainer for me, we only get 4-5 a year. 

It was also announced a couple days ago that Snoop Dogg is coming to the arena in my little 100k population town and I don't know if I can not go :lol:

 

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary Clark Jr is playing a small theater in Tucson next month. Thinking about going to that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to see Kelsie Ballerini with Brett Young Thursday at the Wicomico civic center in Salisbury Maryland.  I think this is Kelsie's for headlining tour where she's playing medium sized venues and this is the first show.

I love me some Kelsie. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went and watched Kip Moore with 900 other people in a cozy setting a week ago.  Wasn't more then 50 feet away the entire time. Tons of fun and he really can sing his ### off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rockaction said:

The nice thing about waking up at four-thirty AM is passing out at nine-thirty PM, missing the third and OT, and waking up at 1:30 AM. Good times. MacKinnon, huh? Brasky was right. He was all over the ice in the first two.  

I appreciate the bolded offer and we definitely have to get together one of these days, but I can't make it Monday. I am: 

  1. Watching the game with the nephew
  2. On the wagon for real this time

Maybe we can meet up later in the playoffs, as it looks like Cav's Canes aren't much match for the Caps. 

Good luck and peace, mang.   

eta* Sick breakout, movement in space, pass, and then shot in OT. Sweet.  

***eta2 and non-hockey alert*** Sebowski, here's a list of shows this summer from the San Diego Reader. Rev. Horton Heat on April 25th at Belly Up and PUP at The Irenic on Jun 19th look interesting, but I'm not sure I'll really be able to make it. Last show I went to, there was so much beer that I sat by the merchandise tent to get away from all the booze. Let me know if you see anything you really like. There doesn't look like much that's compelling this summer, actually. https://www.sandiegoreader.com/music/shows/#

 

I'm super bummed I'm missing The Interupters on the 19th at Observatory. I'll be out of town. Next show I have is Teenage Bottlerocket at Soda Bar on the Friday before memorial day before I fly to Vegas the next morning for punk rock bowling. The lady is going to Death Can in August. I'm on the fence for that. I dig their music ok when I'm in the mood. Don't generally like mellow concerts. 

We've been booking a lot of little local bands at the brewery I work at so I'm seeing a lot of music in general. 

Warning about us meeting up. I drink like a freaking fish. 

@rockaction #featurenotabug

 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

I'm super bummed I'm missing The Interupters on the 19th at Observatory. I'll be out of town. Next show I have is Teenage Bottlerocket at Soda Bar on the Friday before memorial day before I fly to Vegas the next morning for punk rock bowling. The lady is going to Death Can in August. I'm on the fence for that. I dig their music ok when I'm in the mood. Don't generally like mellow concerts. 

We've been booking a lot of little local bands at the brewery I work at so I'm seeing a lot of music in general. 

Warning about us meeting up. I drink like a freaking fish. 

@rockaction #featurenotabug

I figured you'd dig The Interrupters for some reason. Awesome that you're going to Teenage Bottlerocket and Punk Rock Bowling. 

I also kind of guessed you drink like a fish, which is fine by fine, but I just can't do it anymore. It sends me into weeks of an unyielding boozefest, which I just can't physically afford to do anymore. Oh well. Such is getting older.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m seeing The Church right now in St. Pete.  Awesome to hear Starfish live and I couldn’t help thinking how Marty Wilson-Piper is a tool per @krista4.  Trying to focus on Steve Kilby and the rest of the lads for the 2nd set.  Great show and a great early birthday present.

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At a rainy opening day of Jazzfest. Listening to Django festival allstars from France. Awesome way to spend a rainy day

 

Any of you deginerates here in New Orleans these next 2 weekends?

Edited by ffldrew
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Osaurus said:

I’m seeing The Church right now in St. Pete.  Awesome to hear Starfish live and I couldn’t help thinking how Marty Wilson-Piper is a tool per @krista4.  Trying to focus on Steve Kilby and the rest of the lads for the 2nd set.  Great show and a great early birthday present.

The last couple times we saw The Church, it was just Kilbey and Peter Koppes from the original lineup.  Marty Wilson-Piper is off being miserable as a solo act.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The last couple times we saw The Church, it was just Kilbey and Peter Koppes from the original lineup.  Marty Wilson-Piper is off being miserable as a solo act.

Right.  I meant I just kept thinking about him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw Strand of Oaks and Wild Pink the other night.  I went on the band's Twitter the morning after to see if there were any comments or pictures.  There was a guy complaining about getting jostled in the audience.  His description of the alleged perpetrator was an obvious match for Mrs. Eephus.  So I responded with a "dude, that's my wife" and engaged briefly and politely with him. 

We were right in front of the stage and the crowd was more sedate than most shows I go to.  Mrs. Eephus likes to dance but she goes to 100 shows a year and knows not to swing her arms like some drunk sorority chick.  If someone is intruding in my space, I'll turn and tell 'em to back off.  Passive-aggressive tweets the next day seem like a particularly modern and ineffective way of dealing with an issue. 

Great show.  Check him out if he's appearing near you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eephus said:

There was a guy complaining about getting jostled in the audience.  His description of the alleged perpetrator was an obvious match for Mrs. Eephus.  So I responded with a "dude, that's my wife" and engaged briefly and politely with him. 

We were right in front of the stage and the crowd was more sedate than most shows I go to.  Mrs. Eephus likes to dance but she goes to 100 shows a year and knows not to swing her arms like some drunk sorority chick.

I don't know whether to laugh or laugh. Good that it got resolved. The next day. When he couldn't do anything about it.

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I don't know whether to laugh or laugh. Good that it got resolved. The next day. When he couldn't do anything about it.

Maybe I'm the weird one but I generally consider getting jostled by women at shows as a feature, not a bug.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockaction said:

:lmao::lmao: I'm not allowed to just paste laughing rollies, but so I'll just comment and say the look out of the corner of his eyes is priceless. 

So good.  Pwned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.