What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (6 Viewers)

Saw the Avett Bros. this past Saturday at the Greek in Berkeley.  Always love seeing a show there, not a bad seat in the house.  It was weird because it wasn't all GA (all of the other shows that I've seen there have always been everything GA). 

The opener was Lake Street Dive.  They put on a good performance.  I had never heard their stuff before (other than Spotify on Friday), so I was impressed. 

The Avetts also put on good show.  I was bummed because a buddy of mine went Friday night, and they got "Ain't No Man", so I wasn't expecting it.  But, we got it too.  Love that song. 

Next up is DMB in Sac on 9/7 and again in SF on 9/10, then Hardly Strictly Bluegrass the first weekend of Oct.
I am a big fan of Avett brothers. Have you been a fan for long? I ask because of your "Aint no man comment". The song does not bother me much but I know many long time fans don't like it. I think they see it as to much of a departure while they try to hit top 40 radio. I do think it was successful at bringing in new fans. Like I say it does not bother me but I see where the folks who don't like it are coming from. It would be a bathroom break song for me.

They do a great show though.

I am a big fan of Avett brothers. Have you been a fan for long? I ask because of your "Aint no man comment". The song does not bother me much but I know many long time fans don't like it. I think they see it as to much of a departure while they try to hit top 40 radio. I do think it was successful at bringing in new fans. Like I say it does not bother me but I see where the folks who don't like it are coming from. It would be a bathroom break song for me.

They do a great show though.
I am a recent fan.  "January Wedding" and "I and Love and You" drew me in, then when I heard "Ain't No Man" it became one of my favorite songs by them.  I guess I just like more upbeat stuff.  I prefer listening to their live albums over their studio albums.

Somehow I missed the fact that Berlin, OMD, and the B-52s will be in Tampa next week so I will be going. Never seen any of these bands so it should be fun. 3 concerts in 2 weeks for me

Berlin, OMD, and B-52s (St. Pete) - 8/28

Squeeze (Milwaukee) - 9/1

The Alarm and Modern English (St. Pete) - 9/8

Elvis Costello (St. Pete) - 11/10

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there’s a lot of Tedeschi Trucks fans in here.  Relix is doing a free live stream of Lockn festival and they are playing tonight 9:30-12:20 ET

Stones - UNREAL. 70,000 or so fans on their feet the entire time. Not a fan of stadium shows but for the Stones - yeah. Massive stage, huge video screens. First class production. Mick sounded fantastic. Last time I saw him he was battling laryngitis. Not this time. On point and he was moving all over the stage. Charlie looks like a corpse but still delivers technically. Ronnie and Keith brought it. Tumbling Dice, Gimme Shelter, Miss You stood out. Fantastic show!  3-4 friends said it was top 3 show ever  I agree.  Would have loved to see them in their primes. 

Street Fighting Man

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

She's a Rainbow

(by request)

You Can't Always Get What You Want

2120 South Michigan Avenue

B-Stage / Acoustic:

Sweet Virginia

Dead Flowers

Sympathy for the Devil

Honky Tonk Women

You Got the Silver

(Keith Richards on lead vocals)

Before They Make Me Run

Miss You

Paint It Black

Midnight Rambler

Start Me Up

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Brown Sugar

Encore:

Gimme Shelter

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

shuke said:
I know there’s a lot of Tedeschi Trucks fans in here.  Relix is doing a free live stream of Lockn festival and they are playing tonight 9:30-12:20 ET
Holy ####, Trey Anastasio is sitting in, and they are doing the entire Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs album.  

Currently on Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad.

Saw Bryan Adams and Billy Idol at DTE in Clarkston MI.    Was not really too excited about going but my buddy had tickets and an RV to tailgate.  Actually it was a very good show,   White Wedding, Dancing with myself, Rebel Yell, Eyes without a face by  Idol,   Run to you, Summer of 69, Cuts like a Knife and many more by Adams.   Summer of 69 the whole crowd was totally into it.  We had a great time. 

Took the girlfriend to see Judah and the Lion last week. Smallish outdoor ampitheater style show. A lot of their songs are pretty poppy but overall it was fun. They had a ton of energy and were very likable.

Somehow I missed the fact that Berlin, OMD, and the B-52s will be in Tampa next week so I will be going. Never seen any of these bands so it should be fun. 3 concerts in 2 weeks for me

Berlin, OMD, and B-52s (St. Pete) - 8/28

Squeeze (Milwaukee) - 9/1

The Alarm and Modern English (St. Pete) - 9/8

Elvis Costello (St. Pete) - 11/10
this

got 2 tickets to see Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats on 8/27.  taking my oldest (14yo) son.  can't wait to see these guys
so this was last night.  absolutely incredible show.  highly, highly recommend anyone to catch these guys in action.  can't stress this enough, these guys were incredible

Saw Berlin, OMD, and the B-52s last night. It was a sold out show. Some observations:

1. Terri Nunn from Berlin looked high and they did a cover of Highway to Hell, which for this show, was an odd choice. They were okay, but Terri singing Take My Breath Away in the crowd was cringeworthy.

2. OMD was fantastic. Andy McCluskey’s weird dancing is awesome and his overall stage presence is over the top. I’m a big fan of OMD and happy to have finally seen them live after 3 failed attempts.

3. The B-52s have definitely lost a step or two, but they can still rock. Great performance and glad I finally got to see them. Kate  :wub:

I'm still debating going to see them and then going to the misfits the next night. Hell I may even throw in Kiss the following week.
You're gobbling up some shows my friend.  I had no idea the Misfits were doing an arena tour.  2019 what will you think of next! 

3. The B-52s have definitely lost a step or two, but they can still rock. Great performance and glad I finally got to see them. Kate  :wub:
Awesome. The B-52s are definitely an act I want to catch at some point.

On a personal trip, I just procured tickets to see Fontaines D.C. at the Teragram in L.A on the 26th of Sept. Should be an interesting show if I make it.

Upcoming for me is Squeeze Sunday night in Milwaukee at the Pabst Theater. I’ve only been there once and I was performing with a bunch of other high school kids in 1990 or 1991.

Awesome. The B-52s are definitely an act I want to catch at some point.

On a personal trip, I just procured tickets to see Fontaines D.C. at the Teragram in L.A on the 26th of Sept. Should be an interesting show if I make it.
You better hurry up. Not sure how many more tours they’re gonna be doing. Maybe catch them on the 80s cruise in the Caribbean in March.

Yeah, sorta resigned myself to never seeing them. Sounds good in theory, though.
I had tickets to see them the summer of 1990 in Milwaukee at Summerfest with Ziggy Marley. This was their Cosmic Thing tour. I don’t remember why I didn’t go, but I’ve always regretted it. That is until last night.

OMD is another one. I’ve missed them 3 times in 2 cities and finally got to see them last night. 

Saw Squeeze in Milwaukee last night. They haven’t missed a step imo. Very happy I finally got the chance to see them live. 

ETA: KT Tunstall opened and was very impressive as well.

is joolz holland playing with them? or just sitting put with his fantastic TV show?
No Jools. He hasn’t been with them for a long time. Would have been cool, but their current keyboardist was pretty good. The bassist is amazing.

Brandi Carlile at the Minnesota state fair was an all-timer. 80 year old Mavis Staples opened. 

I'm not completely sold on the Highwomen yet, but Brandi is my favorite active artist going today. 

4th row seats for Glen Hansard Wednesday night. Not too keen on the new record, but he's a must see live act. 

Alarm with Modern English and Gene Loves Jezabel was last night in St. Pete. Really enjoyed Modern English and although I’m not a huge fan of the Alarm, Mike Peters is an incredible human being in so many ways. Their tour ended last night after doing 40 shows in 2 months. Wow.

Stones - UNREAL. 70,000 or so fans on their feet the entire time. Not a fan of stadium shows but for the Stones - yeah. Massive stage, huge video screens. First class production. Mick sounded fantastic. Last time I saw him he was battling laryngitis. Not this time. On point and he was moving all over the stage. Charlie looks like a corpse but still delivers technically. Ronnie and Keith brought it. Tumbling Dice, Gimme Shelter, Miss You stood out. Fantastic show!  3-4 friends said it was top 3 show ever  I agree.  Would have loved to see them in their primes. 

Street Fighting Man

You Got Me Rocking

Tumbling Dice

She's a Rainbow

(by request)

You Can't Always Get What You Want

2120 South Michigan Avenue

B-Stage / Acoustic:

Sweet Virginia

Dead Flowers

Sympathy for the Devil

Honky Tonk Women

You Got the Silver

Before They Make Me Run

Miss You

Paint It Black

Midnight Rambler

Start Me Up

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Brown Sugar

Encore:

Gimme Shelter

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
My son just saw them in Denver.  He went in with not much excitement, being he didn't really grow up with that.  He said top concert he has ever seen & he has seen a bunch.  He couldn't believe how they just flat out bring it.

Was golfing with a buddy yesterday morning and he said he was going with his wife to see Lenny Kravitz at the Shrine. Said I should come with them. Wife had a girls night planned so said why not. Got a great seat on Stubhub 9 rows from the stage. Wow - what a performer Lenny is. Total pro and his band was great. Vibe of the show was so good. He called out all of his former managers, producers, radio guys etc individually. Had them raise their hands then told them how grateful he was that they have been in his life. Same with his band  - put the spotlight on others.

Just shredded.  Ton of energy. No opening act just 2 1/2 non stop Lenny all the hits plus some good tracks from his new album.  Highly recommend if he extends the tour.

Seeing Adam Ant again next Saturday for the Friend or Foe tour. Love the opening band out of LA, the Glam Skanks. They are awesome.

Saw Lord Huron a few weeks ago.  My wife's favorite band, so I'm more along for the ride.  But these guys are pretty good live.  Would recommend.

Still on tap for rest of year:
Trey Anastasio acoustic solo
Ben Folds
Wilco

Possibly Dylan.

Saw Lord Huron a few weeks ago.  My wife's favorite band, so I'm more along for the ride.  But these guys are pretty good live.  Would recommend.

Still on tap for rest of year:
Trey Anastasio acoustic solo
Ben Folds
Wilco

Possibly Dylan.
I'll be out of the country when Dylan plays So Cal.  Bummed.  I still hear songs that I think are band originals only to find out that they are from Dylan.  Need to try and see him elsewhere on the tour.  Not into his vocals but the writing....

If you go please report back

Just spent the weekend at the Sea Hear Now festival in Asbury Park.  Lots of fun and some great acts I already liked and a few new bands I want to listen more off.  

Saw Berlin, OMD, and the B-52s last night. It was a sold out show. Some observations:

1. Terri Nunn from Berlin looked high and they did a cover of Highway to Hell, which for this show, was an odd choice. They were okay, but Terri singing Take My Breath Away in the crowd was cringeworthy.

2. OMD was fantastic. Andy McCluskey’s weird dancing is awesome and his overall stage presence is over the top. I’m a big fan of OMD and happy to have finally seen them live after 3 failed attempts.

Glad you liked them but saw them at the festival I just posted about and they were just bad.  Not sure if the set up was not helpful for their music but they just weren't very good.  

Users who are viewing this thread