What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (5 Viewers)

If he can put on 10 lbs in his first year or so, I don't see any reason why his floor can't be Warrick Dunn and his ceiling Tiki Barber, but with some returns thrown in unless he becomes a bonafide RB1 like Barber did as his career progressed.

ETA - and if he can put on 4 lbs he'd be the same height & weight as Terrell Davis. Just something to consider.

10 pounds is a lot to add to a guy with an already muscular frame.  You have to wonder if more weight is actually a negative.

At 202 pounds, i don't see him as a feature back.  And I don't care. There are few featured backs around the league and there is a place, in the NFL and fantasy, for guys who have a piece of the load.  McCaffrey can put up points rushing, receiving and returning.  He can be productive in limited touches and be spared the beating of a 20+ carry guy?  I'd take that trade-off.   If this guy who If he goes to the right offense, his stock could take off.

What's even crazier about McCaffrey breaking Barry Sanders' record at Stanford is that he basically beat out the guy's own son, a hyped recruit in his own right, in order to do it.

What's even crazier about McCaffrey breaking Barry Sanders' record at Stanford is that he basically beat out the guy's own son, a hyped recruit in his own right, in order to do it.
That's a cool fact.  I remember reading about Barry's son in high school and being excited about following him in college but then never really hearing about him much since.  Now I know why.

That's a cool fact.  I remember reading about Barry's son in high school and being excited about following him in college but then never really hearing about him much since.  Now I know why.
He made the kid transfer (to his father's school, but still). Sanders Jr. was drafted in some devy drafts I saw, as a freshman I think, and McCaffrey ended up being the real prize. 

10 pounds is a lot to add to a guy with an already muscular frame.  You have to wonder if more weight is actually a negative.

At 202 pounds, i don't see him as a feature back.  And I don't care. There are few featured backs around the league and there is a place, in the NFL and fantasy, for guys who have a piece of the load.  McCaffrey can put up points rushing, receiving and returning.  He can be productive in limited touches and be spared the beating of a 20+ carry guy?  I'd take that trade-off.   If this guy who If he goes to the right offense, his stock could take off.
It's not necessarily a lot to gain for a 20 year old though.

LeSean McCoy is 10lbs heavier than his combine weight.  DeMarco Murray 7lbs heavier.  Chris Johnson 8lbs heavier.  These are all guys who were around the same size as him at the combine.

He made the kid transfer (to his father's school, but still). Sanders Jr. was drafted in some devy drafts I saw, as a freshman I think, and McCaffrey ended up being the real prize. 
I remember really liking his high school clips!  He looked really good back then.

The one thing that I think often gets lost in all of our analysis is that DRIVE of an athlete, something you just cannot measure.  That's the true separation between who makes it and who doesn't.  Who becomes a pro-bowler and who doesn't.  HOF vs not...  All these guys are good/great athletes and the most elite athletes from a metrics perspective don't always become elite players, obviously.  Those who do turn out to be the Michael Jordans and Barry Sanders of the world.  

I think McCaffrey's metrics are extremely high-end, not elite, but very very good.  We can't measure his WILL but we do know he produced at the highest level in college football at a very young age (19 - a young 19 at that). And when I say produced, I mean he broke Barry Sanders' NCAA single-season record for all-purpose yardage with over 3,800 yards.  THIRTY-EIGHT HUNDRED YARDS.  AT AGE 19.  He also appears to thrive on the big stage dominating his sophomore year bowl game as well as the combine.  By all accounts he works harder than anyone else.  There's that quote from an earlier poster about the coach that couldn't break him on a drill that's designed to break your will.

I'm sure I'm a broken record by now, but I think this is one of the most obvious no-brainer type picks in dynasty and NFL and I'm bothered that everyone is hesitant because of various reasons, including the color of his skin.  The ONLY negatives are his weight and bench press but I and many others have explained the insignificance of both.  I have the number 1 pick in one of my dynasty leagues and I've already decided it's going to be McCaffrey.  Last week it was Davis but today I'm going with McCaffrey who I think has the most upside of any player in the draft (non-QB).

If he puts on a few pounds without losing a step I can see him as Bell 2.0. Kind of the inverse of Bell who looked average as a rookie bulked up to 245 but then at 220-225 became best back in NFL. 

Will be all about situation for him though. The wrong team he's a RB3; the right team he can be top 5. 

Arguing over 8 lbs....no one worried about fournette gaining 8lbs or cook being 9% sparq athlete, not enough to drop them below mcaff anyway. As a 1.02 owner I've been trying to drop back a couple spots and get Davis or mcaff, but I may just stay put and take one there. There is something to be said about drive. Sometimes I think guys at some bigger football schools get treated very special, and it's easy to get distracted, feel entitled (to special treatment and playing time), and think you're the freakin best because everyone is always pumping you up. I could even see a coach recruiting with the "you'll be a star here, big man on campus" angle. I imagine what it would be like being fournette, having this boss season and everyone is like "next Peterson" "sure bet first rounder" and everyone on campus treating you like you're already a hall of famer. Seems like it would be easy to sit back and enjoy the ride rather than grind out conditioning and study play books. USC wr syndrome maybe. Guys with family history in the pros is a plus, they likely have been taught how to prepare from a younger age, mcaffery and zay jones are those guys this year. 

Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey tested in the 70th percentile at the NFL Combine.

McCaffrey's best scores were the forty (4.48), broad jump (10'1") and a stunning 3-cone (6.57 seconds). At 202 pounds, this composite score placed McCaffrey fourth among running backs who went through a full workout. Many still question if McCaffrey can "hold up between the tackle," despite the Cardinal shining in that area while at Stanford. He's also a dynamic player when matched up one on one against a linebacker in space.

Source: 3 Sigma Athlete

Obviously his size is not ideal for a featured back role but he would not be the first to become one in spite of it.  He weighed in at 8lbs less and 1 inch taller than Dalvin Cook whom no one questions at all.  His size is the same as Chris Johnson and LeSean McCoy weighed in at the combine (McCaffrey is actually a little heavier) and he certainly handled a feature workload in college.

Gun to my head I'd bet on him not ending up a feature back rather than him being one, but it's not at all outside the realm of reasonable possibility like some people here are implying.  5'11" 202lbs with elite athleticism and room to put on a few pounds (McCaffrey is only 20) has given us feature backs before.
- Dalvin Cook had a pretty mediocre combine which is causing GMs to reevaluate him as the combine performance did not match his tape at all. I think he likely added weight for the combine which zapped his explosion numbers.

- Shady McCoy had the flu at his combine and DNP in anything other than bench. His playing weight has always been around 210 or better. That is where his body naturally is, not what he was trying to achieve.

- Chris Johnson scored a 10 on the wonderlic, ran a 4.24, 35" vert, 10'10" broad jump. (it doesn't take a jeenyus to play RB)

If you start comparing McCaffrey to other 202 lb performers at the combine alone, including WRs and DBs, you will see pretty quickly that he is an average athlete for someone who is 5'11/202. We have to be honest about this guy. There is nothing elite about a 202 lb player at any position running high 4.4s or low 4.5s. This is not college. He will not run through arm tackles at this level, LBs are not going to flinch at a 202 lb RB coming into their AO and will likely tee off on the guy, most NFL DBs can easily cover 4.5 speed and he's not tall enough to go up and win jump balls. When he takes the field as a RB Defensive Coordinators can open their entire playbook and can easily use nickle or more exotic packages because he will pose no threat to pound the ball between the tackles. He will never wear down a defense as a runner. He poses no real home-run threat in the NFL. At 4.5 or worse speed in pads, he can be run down by every single DB on the field and likely a handful of LBs.  

There is a place for the guy in the NFL, but it isn't as a featured ball carrier. If I buy McCaffrey, I'm hoping for 5 or so carries and a half dozen targets per game after he settles into the offense. One thing he is not, is matchup proof. He doesn't have J Charles/Jahvid Best/Chris Johnson type speed at his height weight. Those guys didn't enjoy running between the tackles very often either but they had home-run speed and were the fastest guy on the field nearly every time they stepped foot on it. McCaffrey just is not that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
- Shady McCoy had the flu at his combine and DNP in anything other than bench. His playing weight has always been around 210 or better. That is where his body naturally is, not what he was trying to achieve.

Great call!  Always great to see an expurt busting out the facts and nowlij.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lesean-mccoy?id=79607

LeSean McCoy ()

HT: 5'10" WT: 198LBS.

POSITION: RB

SCHOOL: Pittsburgh

And I especially like the thought that a RB won't be able to beat the DB that is assigned to cover him on defense.  You just can't get enough if this kind of incredible insight!

Great call!  Always great to see an expurt busting out the facts and nowlij.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lesean-mccoy?id=79607

LeSean McCoy ()

HT: 5'10" WT: 198LBS.

POSITION: RB

SCHOOL: Pittsburgh

And I especially like the thought that a RB won't be able to beat the DB that is assigned to cover him on defense.  You just can't get enough if this kind of incredible insight!
Shady had the flu leading up to the combine, lost weight because of that fact......He plays at 210+ and has since his 2nd year in the league. What are your questions?  Sure seems like you are really attached to a 202 lb RB who runs 4.5....good luck with that.

Between him and Corey Davis for 1.1. Mixon right there as well.
Via trade I will have the choice of Davis, Mixon, and CM. I'm leaning towards Davis but not totally ruling out CM or Mixon but right now Davis is #1 and is probably the safest pick out of the three.

Tex

Via trade I will have the choice of Davis, Mixon, and CM. I'm leaning towards Davis but not totally ruling out CM or Mixon but right now Davis is #1 and is probably the safest pick out of the three.

Tex
3 best in class, just a matter of where they land in the draft. 

3 best in class, just a matter of where they land in the draft. 
I'm really in love with Davis as a prospect and I do see a little of TO in his game after the catch but I see a younger version of Jordy Nelson.

Then there's Mixon who great in all phases of the game but he comes at a high risk.

Lastly, CM who put up Donkey Kong type numbers. Is it live or is it Memorex? The guy is a player but how will he be used?!?!?

To me it doesn't matter where Davis goes he's going to produce but the other two, yes it definitely matters.

Tex

Shady had the flu leading up to the combine, lost weight because of that fact......He plays at 210+ and has since his 2nd year in the league. What are your questions?  Sure seems like you are really attached to a 202 lb RB who runs 4.5....good luck with that.

Hey, like I said, you are the expurt busting out the fax on us.

McCoy must have had a really bad flu.  The 2009 combine weigh in was on Feb 20th +/-.  Here are the results from his pro day:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70862&draftyear=2009&genpos=RB

Dates: 03/17/09  Height: 5103Weight: 198

I guess McCaffrey won't be able to put on any weight from this point foward.  What a shame.  I guess he'll just be stuck as a gadget player who will always be covered by DBs.  

:sadbanana:

Hey, like I said, you are the expurt busting out the fax on us.

He must have had a really bad flu.  The 2009 combine weigh in was on Feb 20th +/-.  Here are the results from his pro day:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70862&draftyear=2009&genpos=RB

Dates: 03/17/09  Height: 5103Weight: 198
The illness caused McCoy to lose 10 pounds -- he weighed in at 198 at the combine -- and likely will prevent him from taking part in the 225-pound bench-press drill because he feels so weak. But he said he wants to compete in all the other drills when the running backs work out with the quarterbacks and wide receivers tomorrow at Lucas Oil Stadium.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2009/02/21/NFL-Scouting-Combine-Former-Pitt-star-McCoy-sick-at-wrong-time-wrong-place/stories/200902210111

Google is your friend.... :)

BTW, draft scout is not the most reliable source out there, but hey...whatever.

The illness caused McCoy to lose 10 pounds -- he weighed in at 198 at the combine -- and likely will prevent him from taking part in the 225-pound bench-press drill because he feels so weak. But he said he wants to compete in all the other drills when the running backs work out with the quarterbacks and wide receivers tomorrow at Lucas Oil Stadium.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2009/02/21/NFL-Scouting-Combine-Former-Pitt-star-McCoy-sick-at-wrong-time-wrong-place/stories/200902210111

Google is your friend.... :)

Ummmm, yeah.  I posted the link you ignored that shows all the results from his pro day, including his weigh in.

Reading is your friend...:)

It seems that most of the skepticism about CM is because of his weight/height. There was a pretty damn good back with similar measurements in the recent past: Tiki Barber.

I won a lot of money riding TB!

It seems that most of the skepticism about CM is because of his weight/height. There was a pretty damn good back with similar measurements in the recent past: Tiki Barber.

I won a lot of money riding TB!
Tiki's an interesting comp. He went in the top of the second round, which is a possibility for McCaffrey, wound up splitting time with less-talented running backs for most of his career, but wound up with a pretty solid career. Didn't have his first good fantasy season until his fourth year in the league, though.

Another undersized pass-catching guy who came out the same year as Barber was Priest Holmes. Those two guys, along with Marshall Faulk, really helped redefine the RB position in the NFL.

Seriously what's the difference between McCaffrey and Cook based on the combine?  8 pounds lighter and 1 inch taller for McCaffrey and yet Cook can carry a workload, but McCaff can't?  It's ridiculous.  If (and highly imagine when) an NFL team says "Hey Christian, we want you to play at 210 or something" I can't imagine him being as poor athletically as Cook was.  I don't understand why Cook is being touted as a "feature back" but he's smaller and very slightly heavier than McCaffrey is.  If anything McCaffrey can grow into that frame at 21 years old by kickoff, and play at a stronger weight.  Cook has proven to be a poor athlete at a higher weight so why aren't there questions regarding his ability to carry the load?

Seriously what's the difference between McCaffrey and Cook based on the combine?  8 pounds lighter and 1 inch taller for McCaffrey and yet Cook can carry a workload, but McCaff can't?  It's ridiculous.  If (and highly imagine when) an NFL team says "Hey Christian, we want you to play at 210 or something" I can't imagine him being as poor athletically as Cook was.  I don't understand why Cook is being touted as a "feature back" but he's smaller and very slightly heavier than McCaffrey is.  If anything McCaffrey can grow into that frame at 21 years old by kickoff, and play at a stronger weight.  Cook has proven to be a poor athlete at a higher weight so why aren't there questions regarding his ability to carry the load?
It's his weight.  You just CANT be a feature back at 202 pounds.  Its impossible.  Look, I think McCaffrey is a special player, but I just dont see a work-horse back.  When I see him play, I see someone like... I dont know... Danny Woodhead.  Mostly a pass catching back.  Yeah, I think that would work for him.  Another alternative for him is to switch to being a slot receiver.  Someone like... Julian Edelman!  That would be a good route for him.  Maybe Danny Amendola, but I think McCaffrey is a better player, and I hope he can stay healthier then Amendola.  But yeah, its the weight.  Thats it.  100%.

It's his weight.  You just CANT be a feature back at 202 pounds.  Its impossible.  Look, I think McCaffrey is a special player, but I just dont see a work-horse back.  When I see him play, I see someone like... I dont know... random white guy.  Mostly a pass catching back.  Yeah, I think that would work for him.  Another alternative for him is to switch to being a slot receiver.  Someone like...random white guy !  That would be a good route for him.  Maybe random white guy, but I think McCaffrey is a better player, and I hope he can stay healthier then random white guy.  But yeah, its the weight.  Thats it.  100%.

It's his weight.  You just CANT be a feature back at 202 pounds.  Its impossible.  Look, I think McCaffrey is a special player, but I just dont see a work-horse back.  When I see him play, I see someone like... I dont know... Danny Woodhead.  Mostly a pass catching back.  Yeah, I think that would work for him.  Another alternative for him is to switch to being a slot receiver.  Someone like... Julian Edelman!  That would be a good route for him.  Maybe Danny Amendola, but I think McCaffrey is a better player, and I hope he can stay healthier then Amendola.  But yeah, its the weight.  Thats it.  100%.
So are you in favor of Cook being a feature back?  Whats the absolute minimum to be a "feature back" like you so call it?  

An anonymous NFL scout speaking to Packers' beat writer Bob McGinn assured him that Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey is a far superior prospect to Ty Montgomery.
"This guy is a better runner than Montgomery, a better catcher, he’s more explosive, more agile and he’s probably faster," said the scout. "Montgomery is more of a straight-line guy." McCaffery, of course, was once Montgomery's teammate at Stanford. "He’s a jack-of-all-trades guy," another scout said. "He can be your returner and give you 15 snaps a game (at RB). Once he tests and runs 4.38 (he ran 4.49) guys will fall in love with his personality and his genetics."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Mar 14 - 12:31 PM

Fox Sports' Joel Klatt ranks Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey as the No. 7 overall prospect in the 2017 class.
"The most NFL ready offensive player in the draft, McCaffrey is a great running back but also has the ability to be used as a wide receiver and kick returner," Klatt writes. "Expect him to get 18-25 touches per game." We hear what Klatt is saying about McCaffrey, as Stanford's offense certainly prepares a running back for an NFL style and workload. However, many still question McCaffrey's ability to handle a full workload due to standing 5-foot-11 and 205-pounds. McCaffrey produced highlight runs along with difficult yards between the tackles thanks to vision and patience. Leonard Fournette is Klatt's No. 2 running back at No. 9 overall.

Source: Fox Sports 
Mar 14 - 10:47 AM

McCaffrey 6.57-second 3-cone is second best in the last fourteen years. That coupled with his on field track record has me seriously considering taking him at 1.2

McCaffrey 6.57-second 3-cone is second best in the last fourteen years. That coupled with his on field track record has me seriously considering taking him at 1.2

Recently moved up to 1.02 in one league specifically so I can get McCaffrey. Super-high floor due to pass-catching skills, coupled with a high ceiling. 

Draft insider Tony Pauline pushed a connection between the Broncos and Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey as one he heard throughout the NFL Combine.
Pauline says the buzz is so strong "in large part due to the Elway/McCaffrey family relationship dating back to Stanford." We don't think John Elway would make the pick for that reason alone, but McCaffrey is a very talented runner and receiver, and we would not be surprised if he is the top rated running back on at least a few boards.

Source: Draft Analyst

Ugh now I'm starting to worry I'm not going to get McCaffrey at 1.2. Especially if he winds up in a good landing spot

Ugh now I'm starting to worry I'm not going to get McCaffrey at 1.2. Especially if he winds up in a good landing spot
Unless he goes to the Patriots and they cut all their other RBs and enter the season with only McCaffrey at the position, I think you'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry about that. I'm not saying that flippantly, it's just that WR is usually valued higher in dynasty. Cook and Fournette have pretty big hype. Mixon and Ross could both jump into FF stardom is some analyst "loves this situation for him" the could be vault up draft boards too. 

Borden said:
I wouldn't worry about that. I'm not saying that flippantly, it's just that WR is usually valued higher in dynasty. Cook and Fournette have pretty big hype. Mixon and Ross could both jump into FF stardom is some analyst "loves this situation for him" the could be vault up draft boards too. 
So for people who love McCaffrey with 1.2, do you risk trading down a spot or two?  Given that there is the hype with Fournette and Cook. I do think McCaffrey in a good landing spot could be the best of them all. 

Users who are viewing this thread