What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (1 Viewer)

It's Fournette and McCaffrey for me at the moment.

Cook, I am all set.  Injuries, off the field stuff, no thanks.  Then test like a TE at the combine.  

If I thought Fournette was fine out of the shotgun, it would be easy 1-2.  But it really makes me nervous that he seems to need to be in a traditional set.  

So for people who love McCaffrey with 1.2, do you risk trading down a spot or two?  Given that there is the hype with Fournette and Cook. I do think McCaffrey in a good landing spot could be the best of them all. 
Too early to get cute like that, but unless he goes to a perfect situation like Indy (might be the only one for him) I think it's highly unlikely he goes before 4, and that's full PPR.  I could get behind him at 1.02 in PPR in Indy.

So for people who love McCaffrey with 1.2, do you risk trading down a spot or two?  Given that there is the hype with Fournette and Cook. I do think McCaffrey in a good landing spot could be the best of them all. 
Nope. Take the guy you like. My point was only that at 1.02 the percentage of people who are looking at other options for 1.01 should give you a very good shot at getting McCaffery at 1.02. 

Gandalf said:
Ugh now I'm starting to worry I'm not going to get McCaffrey at 1.2.t

So for people who love McCaffrey with 1.2, do you risk trading down a spot or two?
In a few hours you went from worried to not getting him at 1.2 to pondering moving back. Why do that to yourself? If you love him just stand pat for now and chances are probably in the 80-90% range  you control option of getting your guy at 1.2 or at minimum you can asses the situation post draft if you think you can squeeze something else by moving back and still getting him.

This post below from Leroy should be all you need to know about the pitfalls of trading back from 1.2 if McCaffrey is the apple of your eye.

Recently moved up to 1.02 in one league specifically so I can get McCaffrey.

Traded back from the 1.01, got the 7 and 8 as part of the deal, praying he makes it to the 7, might move it for the 6 idk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded back from the 1.01, got the 7 and 8 as part of the deal, praying he makes it to the 7, might move it for the 6 idk.
Depends on the draft of course, but right now I think it's fairly unlikely he'll make it to 7 and it'd be a toss-up at best at 6.

Depends on the draft of course, but right now I think it's fairly unlikely he'll make it to 7 and it'd be a toss-up at best at 6.
Agreed. I still think it's highly unlikely he will be there at 6 but I don't see any way he makes it past 6. I would definitely try to move up to 6 either way though. There's a lot yet to happen but as of now there seems to be a drop-off after the top six. If not McCaffrey, you might be able to get Mixon at 6.

I agree, the guy at 1 is taking Fournette, the guy who has the 2 also has the 4 and 5, is gonna go Cook, WR, then probably WR again. Possible not likely.

If Antonio Freeman had a kid and he had both the college stats and combine numbers Christian had, people would have him locked in at 1 unanimously. This is a rare prospect with 1 "flaw": he's white. 

ETA: bmi is also well below average 

If Antonio Freeman had a kid and he had both the college stats and combine numbers Christian had, people would have him locked in at 1 unanimously. This is a rare prospect with 1 "flaw": he's white. 

It's going to be interesting to see what excuses the CM fans use if he doesn't make it in the NFL.

I think there's a fair chance given the modest results of Reggie Bush as a player in the NFL that there would still be some doubt, since McCaffrey basically tested as a Reggie Bush clone minus the elite speed.

I like McCaffrey and will be trying to get him on my teams, but there are plenty of concerns outside of his skin color.  History is not kind to RBs this small that don't crack the 4.3x 40 yard dash range.  Save LeSean McCoy, all the other RBs this small to have real success in the nfl had 40 times a good tenth of a second faster than McCaffrey's very very modest 4.49.

Given that:

1. The McCaffrey thread is getting the most posts, action and interest of all 2017 draft prospects.

2. McCaffrey arguably had the best combine out of the RBs and WRs. (TEs crushed it, but are devalued out of top 6 picks usually) 

3. There has been a lot of NFL chatter of McCaffrey moving up and getting drafted earlier.

4. Dalvin Cook had a pretty terrible combine. Corey Davis did not participate in the combine or pro day. Mike Williams did little at combine, and had a respectable 4.56 40 at his pro day, but nothing amazing.

5. He is the only one of the top 5-6 even trending up.

6. No injury history.

7. Amazing numbers.

8. Incredible work ethic.

9. Has been said that his pass-catching is so strong that he could be a WR, so he is PPR gold.

10. All it takes is that one person out of 12 that likes McCaffrey to either just draft him or move ahead of you to get him. 

Thinking one can get McCaffrey at the 1.05-1.06 picks once the actual rookie drafts roll around is wishful thinking. 

I think there's a fair chance given the modest results of Reggie Bush as a player in the NFL that there would still be some doubt, since McCaffrey basically tested as a Reggie Bush clone minus the elite speed.

I like McCaffrey and will be trying to get him on my teams, but there are plenty of concerns outside of his skin color.  History is not kind to RBs this small that don't crack the 4.3x 40 yard dash range.  Save LeSean McCoy, all the other RBs this small to have real success in the nfl had 40 times a good tenth of a second faster than McCaffrey's very very modest 4.49.
That is fair and part of my ranking is also based on the weakness of other prospects. Also, was Reggie really that bad? Obviously not a player to build around for dynasty but it was a different time as RB usage goes. Bush had some big years and seems like he was built for the NFL of today. 

I would argue that McCaffrey is a superior actual running back to Bush. He runs similarly to McCoy or Bell in that he is patient in waiting for blockers then blasts through the hole. Bush seemed to always just bust it outside, avoiding contact, carrying the ball like a loaf of bread.

That is fair and part of my ranking is also based on the weakness of other prospects. Also, was Reggie really that bad? Obviously not a player to build around for dynasty but it was a different time as RB usage goes. Bush had some big years and seems like he was built for the NFL of today. 
Bush was a pretty big bust because his hype was off the charts. No one believed the Texans would pass on him at 1.01, and they took a lot of crap for picking Mario Williams instead. Bush had a decent career as a role player, but never made a Pro Bowl; at 1.02 that's a whiff. Williams wasn't exactly a major star, either, but clearly Houston got more out of him than New Orleans got out of Reggie Bush.

Worth noting: That was an amazingly crappy draft. The biggest hits were Williams, Jay Cutler, Haloti Ngata, and Antonio Cromartie. Maybe Deangelo Williams or Maurice Jones-Drew if you want to count them. 

Bush was a pretty big bust because his hype was off the charts. No one believed the Texans would pass on him at 1.01, and they took a lot of crap for picking Mario Williams instead. Bush had a decent career as a role player, but never made a Pro Bowl; at 1.02 that's a whiff. Williams wasn't exactly a major star, either, but clearly Houston got more out of him than New Orleans got out of Reggie Bush.

Worth noting: That was an amazingly crappy draft. The biggest hits were Williams, Jay Cutler, Haloti Ngata, and Antonio Cromartie. Maybe Deangelo Williams or Maurice Jones-Drew if you want to count them. 
Bush was a bust for the hype but do we think it was something wrong with his talent? I don't. I think he suffered more from a lack of usage, scheme and injuries.  I think the Bush skill set can do well in this NFL like a Tevin Coleman.

If you dealt 1.01 for 1.07 and 1.08, I really like that trade for you, but I think the chances of CMC falling to you are remote. one of Davis, Williams, or Mixon may fall to you at 7 if there is and early run on RBs 

If you dealt 1.01 for 1.07 and 1.08, I really like that trade for you, but I think the chances of CMC falling to you are remote. one of Davis, Williams, or Mixon may fall to you at 7 if there is and early run on RBs 
1.01+2018 2nd for 1.07+1.08+2018 1st+2.08+3.07

I think it will entirely depend on where he lands, and the general fantasy writer hype following the NFL draft. ATM I'm forecasting him at the earliest at 6, to another team who desperately needs a RB. I'm gonna continue to pursue the 1.05 or 1.06.

Given that:

1. The McCaffrey thread is getting the most posts, action and interest of all 2017 draft prospects.

2. McCaffrey arguably had the best combine out of the RBs and WRs. (TEs crushed it, but are devalued out of top 6 picks usually) 

3. There has been a lot of NFL chatter of McCaffrey moving up and getting drafted earlier.

4. Dalvin Cook had a pretty terrible combine. Corey Davis did not participate in the combine or pro day. Mike Williams did little at combine, and had a respectable 4.56 40 at his pro day, but nothing amazing.

6. No injury history.

7. Amazing numbers.

9. Has been said that his pass-catching is so strong that he could be a WR, so he is PPR gold.

10. All it takes is that one person out of 12 that likes McCaffrey to either just draft him or move ahead of you to get him. 

Thinking one can get McCaffrey at the 1.05-1.06 picks once the actual rookie drafts roll around is wishful thinking. 
As stated,  my earliest pick in a rookie draft is 6th, so I'm PRAYING somebody takes him early which will knock a player down to me I'm actually interested in. I won't take him at 6 even if he's there. 

Modest 40 but amazing 3-cone drill

As stated,  my earliest pick in a rookie draft is 6th, so I'm PRAYING somebody takes him early which will knock a player down to me I'm actually interested in. I won't take him at 6 even if he's there. 
Okay so why don't you like him? 

Given that:

6. No injury history.

7. Amazing numbers.

This is so wrong.  It's not far-fetched at all that McCaffrey could be there.  Plenty of other guys have good things going for them and it's entirely likely he's not a top 4 pick.  He's not in my top 4.

Just to add to the discussion on when these players are actually getting drafted, I ended up with picks 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03.  

Taking Fournette first, and then McCaffrey.  Extremely unlikely that anything in the draft changes those first two picks.  Third pick, I am debating between Davis, Cook, Mixon, or just trading it away.

Modest 40 but amazing 3-cone drill
Same 3-cone as Bush (though to be fair, Bush's was at his pro day, not the combine).

Again, very similar to Bush, who had a modest career, minus the 4.33 40 time which is a pretty huge minus.

That's not to say he can't make up for that with better vision and instinct than Bush had, but the measurables are very similar other than raw speed which he lacks.

Just to add to the discussion on when these players are actually getting drafted, I ended up with picks 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03.  

Taking Fournette first, and then McCaffrey.  Extremely unlikely that anything in the draft changes those first two picks.  Third pick, I am debating between Davis, Cook, Mixon, or just trading it away.
A great problem to have. I don't agree with your choice, but I'd love to have your options.

Bush was a pretty big bust because his hype was off the charts.

Reggie was not a fantasy bust, not in the least. His biggest negative was nothing performance related, but injuries. His first 7 years in the league he gave you 14PPG, which may not be Marshall Faulk but most years in PPR leagues will range from low end RB1 to high end RB2. 7 years of that is not a bust, again biggest negative is he missed to many games.

I would argue that McCaffrey is a superior actual running back to Bush. He runs similarly to McCoy or Bell in that he is patient in waiting for blockers then blasts through the hole. Bush seemed to always just bust it outside, avoiding contact, carrying the ball like a loaf of bread.
I also am in camp that thinks McCaffrey is not only a better runner than Reggie but a better route runner. Not as explosive an athlete but as a runner he's got better vision and patience and the biggest glaring difference between the two is Reggie spent early part of his career going East/West way to much, thinking he could outrun everyone.  McCaffery does a far superior job of going North/South and as you alluded to is a much more patient runner.  You referenced Bell and I think I mentioned this already in this thread but I heard he has Bell's game tapes sent to him to study how he runs.

This is so wrong.  It's not far-fetched at all that McCaffrey could be there.  Plenty of other guys have good things going for them and it's entirely likely he's not a top 4 pick.  He's not in my top 4.
I got a ton of high picks this season and I can honestly say it's wide open for me. I could go McCaffery as high as 1 or end up rating him as low as 5 or 6. While some will I don't think a lot of people are going to opt for John Ross or OJ Howard over him in single PPR leagues and for him to make to pick 5 I think you are going to need to see Williams, Davis and either Mixon or Kamara to go in most leagues and to make it to pick 6 you'd need all but one of those players along with Fournette/Cook to go.  It's pretty wide open but I don't think in most leagues McCaffery is not going to be there at 6, 5 is more like a 50/50 prop.

His size and the way I project he'll be used. For me at the best he's Gio Bernard.
If he's Gio but better, he is probably in line for RB1 numbers.  

I say that, but I am thinking about PPR.

Almost needs to be clarified always whether someone is talking PPR or not, because in a standard league, I drop him down.  

I got a ton of high picks this season and I can honestly say it's wide open for me. I could go McCaffery as high as 1 or end up rating him as low as 5 or 6. While some will I don't think a lot of people are going to opt for John Ross or OJ Howard over him in single PPR leagues and for him to make to pick 5 I think you are going to need to see Williams, Davis and either Mixon or Kamara to go in most leagues and to make it to pick 6 you'd need all but one of those players along with Fournette/Cook to go.  It's pretty wide open but I don't think in most leagues McCaffery is going to be there at 6, 5 is more like a 50/50 prop.
I agree with this.  I was refuting the point of "it's wishful thinking that he'll be there at 5".  There's a very good chance he'll be there in a lot of leagues.  And if he goes to a stinker like PIT or the league isn't full PPR, he's got a shot to slide much further.

I think it will entirely depend on where he lands, and the general fantasy writer hype following the NFL draft. ATM I'm forecasting him at the earliest at 6, to another team who desperately needs a RB. I'm gonna continue to pursue the 1.05 or 1.06.
Fantastic trade for you.

So you think 6 is the earliest someone will take CMC ?   I would say it may be the "latest".

I'm probably as high on CMC as can be, I just don't see him being taken ahead of Fournette, Cook, Davis, Williams, Ross. Which puts him right next to Mixon, JuJu and Howard imo.

If he landed in a top flight offense that changes things.

I think a back like McCaffrey can be fantasy helpful in any offense. Bad QB, bad line. Whatever.

Whereas a guy like Fournette, needing to get his yards on the ground, might be more situation dependent. 

Just a thought

I think McCaffrey will get so many touches in the NFL, this along with his skill set would warrant him being selected in the top 5.

Yeah I have #5 in one league that's PPR and return yards, so very little chance I see him but that means I'll almost certainly see Mixon which I can live with, although I might prefer McCaffrey in this format.  My other leagues are graded PPR with just .5 for RB (one has return yards) so he'll slide a little in those.  Factor in landing spot and this is still a player with a large std dev on his draft spot.

In his most recent mock draft, ESPN's Todd McShay projected Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey to the Eagles at No. 14.
McCaffrey impressed in both athletic testing and drills at the NFL Scouting Combine several weeks ago. He has seen a subsequent ascension in his draft stock. Indeed, McShay's mock actually has him jumping over FSU RB Dalvin Cook, whom the analyst pegs to the Redskins at No. 17. McShay believes that McCaffrey's "elite character" could serve as a tiebreaker for some teams when deciding between Cook and C-Mac.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Mar 19 - 3:32 PM

In his most recent mock draft, ESPN's Todd McShay projected Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey to the Eagles at No. 14.
McCaffrey impressed in both athletic testing and drills at the NFL Scouting Combine several weeks ago. He has seen a subsequent ascension in his draft stock. Indeed, McShay's mock actually has him jumping over FSU RB Dalvin Cook, whom the analyst pegs to the Redskins at No. 17. McShay believes that McCaffrey's "elite character" could serve as a tiebreaker for some teams when deciding between Cook and C-Mac.

Articles like these make my point that by the time rookie drafts roll around, McCaffrey being there at 1.5-1.6 will be wishful thinking. I say this for the people that truly do want to draft McCaffrey -- do not expect to get him at 1.05 or 1.06.  After the NFL draft, after the media hype, and after the minicamps saying how fantastic he looks. It is easy enough to find 4 or 5 guys to stick in front of him now. It won't be so easy to find 4 owners in a league that will pass on him if he is selected at pick 14 by the Eagles, using the example above.

Articles like these make my point that by the time rookie drafts roll around, McCaffrey being there at 1.5-1.6 will be wishful thinking. I say this for the people that truly do want to draft McCaffrey -- do not expect to get him at 1.05 or 1.06.  After the NFL draft, after the media hype, and after the minicamps saying how fantastic he looks. It is easy enough to find 4 or 5 guys to stick in front of him now. It won't be so easy to find 4 owners in a league that will pass on him if he is selected at pick 14 by the Eagles, using the example above.
NFL.com Mocks

DJ: Fournette at 8 to Jax, CMC #11 to NO, Howard 12 to Cle, Davis #18 to Ten, Ross #24 to Oak, Cook #27 to KC, Williams #30 to Pitt

Reuter has him at #27 to KC, behind those other 6.

Those are the only two that have been done in the last week.

Walter Football has him at #19 to TB in front of only Ross and Davis (of the 6 previously mentioned).

Run It Up said:

So this year you gave up the 1.01 for 1.07, 1.08, 2.08 & 3.07

Plus, next year you give up a 2nd for a 1st?

A year ago, I don't like that deal for you as Elliott was that much better than the field.  In general, I'll take quality over quantity as I can only field so many players.   This year, it's a better deal and not unlike caddying for the Dali Lama, you got an extra first rounder going for you next year, which is nice.

But, the later picks start to lose some value to me; only room for so many rookies. I'd be doing a mock of the first round to see who I expected to be on the board at 1.07 & 1.08.  Trading back and picking up extra picks happens all the time in the NFL.  Less often in fantasy drafts.  Six picks is a steep drop to me.  Interested in hearing your thought process.  Who you liked at 1.01?  Or didn't like.  Did you expect McCaffrey to slide that far?  Were there other offers? Are you having second thoughts? Do you think the 1.01 would climb in value as we neared the draft?

"In his most recent mock draft, ESPN's Todd McShay projected Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey to the Eagles at No. 14.
McCaffrey impressed in both athletic testing and drills at the NFL Scouting Combine several weeks ago. He has seen a subsequent ascension in his draft stock. Indeed, McShay's mock actually has him jumping over FSU RB Dalvin Cook, whom the analyst pegs to the Redskins at No. 17. McShay believes that McCaffrey's "elite character" could serve as a tiebreaker for some teams when deciding between Cook and C-Mac."

I'm just wondering when "elite character" moved the chains, broke tackles, outran defenders, or moved piles....This is probably the least important trait for a RB.  RBs are typically knuckleheads or at least you have a 50/50 chance of being one.  AP = knucklehead.  Leveon Bell = knucklehead.  Chris Johnson = knucklehead. Zeke Elliot = knucklehead.  Who are the elite character NFL RBs?  Their names escape me right now...... 

"In his most recent mock draft, ESPN's Todd McShay projected Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey to the Eagles at No. 14.
McCaffrey impressed in both athletic testing and drills at the NFL Scouting Combine several weeks ago. He has seen a subsequent ascension in his draft stock. Indeed, McShay's mock actually has him jumping over FSU RB Dalvin Cook, whom the analyst pegs to the Redskins at No. 17. McShay believes that McCaffrey's "elite character" could serve as a tiebreaker for some teams when deciding between Cook and C-Mac."

I'm just wondering when "elite character" moved the chains, broke tackles, outran defenders, or moved piles....This is probably the least important trait for a RB.  RBs are typically knuckleheads or at least you have a 50/50 chance of being one.  AP = knucklehead.  Leveon Bell = knucklehead.  Chris Johnson = knucklehead. Zeke Elliot = knucklehead.  Who are the elite character NFL RBs?  Their names escape me right now...... 
Elite character translates into a few different things. 1) He's more likely to be on the field if he isn't suspended for knucklehead behaviour. 2) He's more likely to be on the field if he studies/understands the offense. I would think that a high character guy is more likely to do the extra work. 3) A team is more likely to keep him around and give him looks if he is a positive representation of the team. Both in the public and in the locker room. 

Also, don't forget that the high character "Man of the Year" award is named after a RB. 

I think boxing it as position specific you're setting yourself for failure.  Most guys at skills positions are diva personalities.  There's always exceptions.  Marvin Harrison and Amari Cooper at WR come to mind off the top of my head.  I could be wrong but isn't David Johnson considered to have great character?  The thing you don't have to worry about is them not putting the time in.  That's pretty valuable when an organization is paying 10's of millions of dollars.  That's the whole reason why Mixon is the discussion of the year.  

Elite character translates into a few different things. 1) He's more likely to be on the field if he isn't suspended for knucklehead behaviour. 2) He's more likely to be on the field if he studies/understands the offense. I would think that a high character guy is more likely to do the extra work. 3) A team is more likely to keep him around and give him looks if he is a positive representation of the team. Both in the public and in the locker room. 

Also, don't forget that the high character "Man of the Year" award is named after a RB. 
That man had elite speed. McCaffrey does not.  I agree that availability is a skill set and knucklehead behavior sometimes limits that availability, but production matters when a guy takes the field.  My point is that being a knucklehead goes with the position more times than not.  Elite character does not equal "can't miss" at the RB position. I know a lot of good guys, but that doesn't mean they can break tackles, run a 4.35, or move a pile of large men to ensure another set of downs.  

I think boxing it as position specific you're setting yourself for failure.  Most guys at skills positions are diva personalities.  There's always exceptions.  Marvin Harrison and Amari Cooper at WR come to mind off the top of my head.  I could be wrong but isn't David Johnson considered to have great character?  The thing you don't have to worry about is them not putting the time in.  That's pretty valuable when an organization is paying 10's of millions of dollars.  That's the whole reason why Mixon is the discussion of the year.  
Those guys are WRs, and I agree that character matters much more for WRs. WRs have a number of considerations when evaluating them as players; character, work ethic, coachability, and chemistry with the QB are very important.  And David Johnson is a nice kid but he's also 224 lbs. Size does matter in today's NFL, and DJ has that size and skill set to be an every down runner.

David Johnson

David Johnson
224 lbs vs 202 lbs.  Johnson is also a converted WR. Maybe McCaffrey converts to WR, in which case I will like him more.

BTW, you don't move a pile of men with character, you move it with mass and strength.

Users who are viewing this thread