What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (2 Viewers)

I hope everyone who STILL thinks this future HOFer is Woodhead 2.0 is not giving FF advice to friends and family.  I've been preaching it for months and I know its only preseason but CMC is a workhorse RB who can also catch.  We're watching the next LT/Faulk, folks.  He's the real deal and that last drive offered a taste of what we're going to see a lot of for the next several years.
Exactly. Two runs through the line. Not just outside. Not a gadget player.

Damn, ESPN is going to be all over this.  Sucks.  Was really hoping he would stay quiet in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Middle 2nd round after the first half Man among boys performance.  Glad at least I already have him in dynasty

Damn, ESPN is going to be all over this.  Sucks.  Was really hoping he would stay quiet in this game.
One of the advantages of having early drafts.  I'm REALLY liking the core of my Footballguys Player's Championship FFPC team, drafted about 2-3 weeks ago:

Brees

McCaffrey, Murray/Henry

Kelvin Benjamin, Cobb

Gronk, Reed (TE premium)

Many of you are missing the sarcasm in this thread...

The elephant in the room is that he is white and there hasn't been a successful, quick twitch, white halfback in the history of the game.(not a fullback like Riggins and not a third down/part time back like Woodhead)

He'll be a marketing/brand sensation if he is the first all pro white halfback of the modern era.
Posted by yours truly on 1/2/16

Oye, haven't watched yet, taped the game, but the stat line ... wow, just jumped 5-10 spots...

Christian McCaffrey rushed three times for 33 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' second preseason game, adding two catches for 39 yards.

Its happening.

Christian McCaffrey rushed three times for 33 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' second preseason game, adding two catches for 39 yards.

The Panthers' offense barely saw the field in the first quarter due to a first-play fumble by Devin Funchess and then a Derek Anderson interception, but Jonathan Stewart played six of the first ten snaps, with McCaffrey getting the other four and the next five. McCaffrey ripped off numerous big plays in succession, first a 13-yard run up the gut followed by a 17-yard touchdown between the right guard and tackle. On the next drive, he took a screen 38 yards. McCaffrey's burst especially stands out. He's the real deal. McCaffrey's ADP has settled in the mid third round.

Aug 19 - 4:56 PM

I can't believe his speed translates that well. The NFL is a faster game, he should have to work harder. Thoroughly impressed today

Watching the game it really is great that his speed and elusiveness pop off the screen like it did in college. His vision and ability to properly read angles and blockers on both the TD run as well as the way he turned the corner on that screen pass to get long yardage was very good. His game is so versatile that I just don't see much downside to him and obviously he has a very high ceiling. He is as good as advertised.  

Would you feel comfortable with him as an RB1 in PPR?
Let me say something first. It always annoys me when NFL teams are surprised a player is fast. I was, to some degree, but just a bit. Don't they watch college tape at all? When it's a top prospect it's pretty annoying when a D is surprised. John Ross will play some game this summer and cruise right past everyone and the D will be surprised. It irritates me every summer. 

The Titans were beyond dopey this week, in that fashion. You could hear a vrooom noise and they turned their heads when he ran by. I barely saw them truly play D on him and I don't think their starting LBs were in. 

After he burned them, Kevin Byard (who really could be an upcoming star in the league) waited for him to catch the screen and then wrapped him right up. CMC either lost a yard or just got back to the LOS. 

Now I noticed the Panthers using two fullbacks(separately) quite a bit and that they were impressive blockers too. Most NFL teams don't use FBs much anymore. If their FB can smash into a LB, yeah CMC could easily be gone.

I think NFL Ds will do like the Titans did though. Byard mirrored him or spied him and followed him everywhere. I want to wait to see how he responds to this. Also, if Cam were in the game and saw the FS spying CMC, he'd have gone deep. Yet another point, Byard can't cover Olsen and CMC. If I were Cam, I'd hit whichever of those two wasn't covered by Byard. Most NFL Ds are the same and may have one special talent to cover a stud, but not two. Add in the Panthers big WRs and it's really a difficult offense to defense.

I wouldn't be worried if I had him as a #1 RB. I do think he could put up the stats. I'd rather someone else do it though. I am much more comfy with the other top RBs than him. I play in several leagues. I'll grab him in the second round in one, but that'll be it. 

I have been burned by this false disbelief in how fast a player is oh so many times in FF. 

but, but, but Jonathan Stewart is still there and drafting McCrafey in the 3rd is going to be a huge bust. Are people done with that? The same Stewart that hasn't played a full season since 2011 and whose YPC keep declining YOY? If Stewart was so awesome, why did they draft an RB #8 overall? 

McCafrey will be given plenty of opportunities to shine as both a runner and receiver. If/when Stewart misses time, he's a high-end RB1. No, don't draft him in the 1st round this year. But also don't be surprised if he goes in the 1st next season.

On his T.D. run he had the option of taking it outside, there was yardage to be had.  Instead he ran it as blocked, between the guard and the tackle and then he swung it wide.  His correct read froze the pursuit which would otherwise have kept him out of the endzone. I thought it was a mature play. 

but, but, but Jonathan Stewart is still there and drafting McCrafey in the 3rd is going to be a huge bust. Are people done with that? The same Stewart that hasn't played a full season since 2011 and whose YPC keep declining YOY? If Stewart was so awesome, why did they draft an RB #8 overall? 

McCafrey will be given plenty of opportunities to shine as both a runner and receiver. If/when Stewart misses time, he's a high-end RB1. No, don't draft him in the 1st round this year. But also don't be surprised if he goes in the 1st next season.
Stewart has a place as do their FBs. I don't know that CMC is a back that you pound it in from the one with. I don't even know that I'd put him in for all the dopey predictable 1st down 3 yard runs up the middle. If they have a lead, Stewart is getting the rock in the 4th Q to eat up the clock. There are certainly times that Stewart will be in.

I wonder if CMC takes a big hit as a WR, if they don't just put Curtis Samuel in that slot catch n run role. He's a talent and I didn't read of him doing squat this week in practice or see him do much in the game. They ought to use Samuel some. What did they draft him for? It's really odd how he is "nothing" so soon after being drafted. I'm not buying it. They'll use Samuel somehow.

He IS talented, but when your mind drifts to CMC getting the rock every play, ya gotta reel that in and be realistic. 

OK I just read Samuel has been out. Still, how does he fit in here? I wouldn't say he is as dynamic as CMC but he is also dynamic.

Those big WRs are difficult to cover as is Olsen.

There's gotta be some limit to the shine on CMC

On his T.D. run he had the option of taking it outside, there was yardage to be had.  Instead he ran it as blocked, between the guard and the tackle and then he swung it wide.  His correct read froze the pursuit which would otherwise have kept him out of the endzone. I thought it was a mature play. 
I didn't. The Titans nose tackle that has been playing poorly was pushed aside almost effortlessly. The FB nailed the LB rendering him useless. Two took out the Titans DE. I'm sure the Titans get "beaten up" for their play on that one. It was as easy a run as he's ever gonna get. Yeah he flew by them and used his speed beautifully, but the Titans were horrible on that play. That one was gift wrapped for him

I didn't. The Titans nose tackle that has been playing poorly was pushed aside almost effortlessly. The FB nailed the LB rendering him useless. Two took out the Titans DE. I'm sure the Titans get "beaten up" for their play on that one. It was as easy a run as he's ever gonna get. Yeah he flew by them and used his speed beautifully, but the Titans were horrible on that play. That one was gift wrapped for him
This reminds me of a scouting report on Juan Gonzalez: he crushes mistakes.

point being you still have to execute and take advantage of mistakes. NFL players miss assignments. And CAR has an easy rushing schedule, FWIW

Everyone says "well, he can't pound it on from the 1" but I think he can find the space to slither through, as well as bounce out when the space isn't there. I hate watching a big back slam into the olines back and just push and get swallowed up rather than actually use vision. Sure, jstew or cam could get some tds, but just because a guy isn't 250 doesn't mean he can't find the end zone. Just like on a qb sneak, you can't get the snap and just run forward blindly, you have to look for the space. 

Everyone says "well, he can't pound it on from the 1" but I think he can find the space to slither through, as well as bounce out when the space isn't there. I hate watching a big back slam into the olines back and just push and get swallowed up rather than actually use vision. Sure, jstew or cam could get some tds, but just because a guy isn't 250 doesn't mean he can't find the end zone. Just like on a qb sneak, you can't get the snap and just run forward blindly, you have to look for the space. 
Cam has rush TD totals of: 14, 8, 6, 5, 10, 5

CAR RBs: 11, 13, 8, 5, 9, 11

So CAR RBs get between 5-13 rush TDs between 2 or 3 RBs. Stewart had the most 1 RB had last year with 9. Before that DeAngelo had 7 in Cam's rookie year.

So it's not a matter of McC not looking like a goal line back, but Cam steals bunch and McC still has to contend with Stewart.

So for McC to return value you have to hope he's getting 100+ yards every game (doable).

Looks like a guy to sell high after the first 6-8 weeks.  Guy will take the league by surprise for awhile...then the league will catch up/gameplan as he's hitting that rookie wall that seems to hit first year players.  Good stuff from him though. Shame about his ADP. 

Cam has rush TD totals of: 14, 8, 6, 5, 10, 5

CAR RBs: 11, 13, 8, 5, 9, 11

So CAR RBs get between 5-13 rush TDs between 2 or 3 RBs. Stewart had the most 1 RB had last year with 9. Before that DeAngelo had 7 in Cam's rookie year.

So it's not a matter of McC not looking like a goal line back, but Cam steals bunch and McC still has to contend with Stewart.

So for McC to return value you have to hope he's getting 100+ yards every game (doable).
Good points, he may have competition there, but my point is that <230 lb backs always get the "he is unable to score tds." MJD was 205 and scored lots of tds. He was compact and hard to pick out back there and had the vision/lateral agility to probe the line. 

So far in pre-season, hes run the ball between the tackles 8 times at 7.1 YPC, outside twice at 4.5 YPC, and caught the ball twice.  One was a pass to him at the line of scrimmage with someone already draped over him, the other a 38 yard screen pass.  In a post-game interview, he described their pre-season offense as "pretty vanilla" while there are practice reports of him being "peppered with passes" and lining up "everywhere".  We havent even seen him do the things yet that make him a special player.  

Situation and opportunity stop having meaning when a player turns out to be a superstar.  As a wise man once said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjQ3hA9mEA

Users who are viewing this thread