What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (3 Viewers)

Gurney, Barkely, Hunt, Gordon, and Kamara for me.  Conner too if Bell doesn't report.  Also Theilen in ppr.
We're talking redraft.  I think you could make a case for all of those guys over McCaffrey.  Then again you could probably make a case for McCaffrey over all of them.   McCaffrey's volume in that offense is just incredible.  There is zero competition (other than Cam).

Last edited by a moderator:
We're talking redraft.  I think you could make a case for all of those guys over McCaffrey.  Then again you could probably make a case for McCaffrey over all of them.   McCaffrey's volume in that offense is just incredible.  There is zero competition (other than Cam).
There is zero case you can make for CMC over Gurley.  None.  

There is zero case you can make for CMC over Gurley.  None.  
Yeah you're right.  I didn't notice Gurley in that list.  If you see my previous post in this thread, I clearly state that Gurley is the one guy who I would definitely not trade straight up for CMC.  That's obvious.   :shrug:  

In general, don't you want opposing D-linemen to be blocked by, y'nkow, O-LINEMEN?  RB are back there to pick up blitzing DBs and maybe a linebacker, not a 300lb DL

Synthesizer said:
Agreed that Newton got lit up a few times because of McCaffrey.  Serious question.... how often is a RB asked to block an untouched defensive tackle?  The tackle had a head of steam plus 100 lbs on him.  Seems like an awful scheme.
McCaffrey had a little trouble in pass pro his first year in the league, and as a slightly undersized back (he certainly isn't tiny at 5'11, 205, but still), he won't be pancaking any DE/President Trump or heavy LBs charging at him, but he's definitely improved in that area.

As to the bolded parts, you nailed it. A RB will need to have this as part of his tool kit, but it was interesting to me to watch CAR's blitz pick-up schemes and overall blocking assignments this past game, because I think CAR could do a LOT better either assigning TEs (in movement or off the stance) and/or even their fullback (Armah is 6'2 255, for goodness sake), and/or utilizing chipping by OLs on the line way more than simply asking CMC to take on a guy almost twice his size barreling down on him.

Some of this is on CMC continuing to improve -- but as much, if not more, is on Rivera and staff instituting the right schemes to better protect CAM and CMC in this regard.

CMC 1,000/1,000 TRACKER

Game 1: 10 carries for 50 yards, 6 receptions for 45 yards

Game 2: 8 carries for 37 yards, 14 receptions for 102 yards

Game 3: 28 carries for 184 yards, 2 receptions for 10 yards

Game 4: 17 carries for 58 yards, 5 receptions for 35 yards

Game 5: 8 carries for 20 yards, 7 receptions for 46 yards

Game 6: 7 carries for 29 yards, 6 receptions for 51 yards

Game 7: 14 carries for 45 yards, 4 receptions for 11 yards

Game 8: 17 carries for 79 yards, 5 receptions for 78 yards

Game 9: 14 carries for 77 yards, 5 receptions for 61 yards

Game 10: 13 carries for 53 yards, 6 receptions for 57 yards

PACE: 1,011 yds rushing, 793 yds receiving

I respect that they got him multiple attempts at that TD until he got it, even after that big play where most players would be rotated out. Beast.

CMC 1,000/1,000 TRACKER

Game 1: 10 carries for 50 yards, 6 receptions for 45 yards

Game 2: 8 carries for 37 yards, 14 receptions for 102 yards

Game 3: 28 carries for 184 yards, 2 receptions for 10 yards

Game 4: 17 carries for 58 yards, 5 receptions for 35 yards

Game 5: 8 carries for 20 yards, 7 receptions for 46 yards

Game 6: 7 carries for 29 yards, 6 receptions for 51 yards

Game 7: 14 carries for 45 yards, 4 receptions for 11 yards

Game 8: 17 carries for 79 yards, 5 receptions for 78 yards

Game 9: 14 carries for 77 yards, 5 receptions for 61 yards

Game 10: 13 carries for 53 yards, 6 receptions for 57 yards

Game 11: 17 carries for 125 yards, 11 receptions for 112 yards

PACE: 1,101 yds rushing, 884 yds receiving 😮

I wish there was an “eat crow” emoji I could put here.

I thought he was too white and too small to be a feature back and a top 10 RB. I was wrong. He’s pretty damn good.

#EatingCrowNow
There ought to be another punishment for you since you claim to like everything you eat.  😀

For those that didn't watch the game - McCaffrey was as good as the stats would indicate.  In the red zone defenses almost have to guess what he'll do to take something away...and just hope that's the play call.

However (BIG however here) he put the rock on the ground three times.  Carolina recovered them all, but his ball security was garbage yesterday.  There were also at least two other plays where the ball was knocked lose as he was tackled while going out of bounce.  Gotta clean that up.

Even at this level of hype and lauding accolades, there is still not enough love in the Pool for what CMC brings to the fantasy table for his owners.

I look at CAR's upcoming schedule and (hopefully) see him remain strong for fantasy owners through ROS and the playoffs.

WK 13 @TB - while TB has been fairly solid against the run, they just let an anemic SF team run for a hair under 150 total, with Breida gashing them for 106 on the ground and another 34 in the air. McCaffery already put over 30 points on them in my league;s scoring, and think he can do it again.

WK 14 @ CLE - CLE has been bottom third in the league in rush yards allowed, and even in an early blowout blanking the Bengals almost the entire first half, CLE still allowed over 100 combined on the ground, and 66 yards to Mixon in the passing game.

WK 15 v NO - this is the one match up I'm leery of given NO is #1 in fewest rush yards allowed this year, and pretty much rubbed out any semblance of the Falcon's ground game this past Thanksgiving. This is the only week left where I am tempering expectations.

WK 16 v ATL -- another bottom-third run D in terms of yards allowed, and while they have stepped up at times (such as against Barkley and the Giants) they were gashed by the Saints who racked up 150 yards on them total. I give the ATL credit as they seemed to limit pass catching success from Kamara and Ingram. But a more favorable matchup for sure.

Here's good health and continued success for ya, CMC.

However (BIG however here) he put the rock on the ground three times.  Carolina recovered them all, but his ball security was garbage yesterday.  There were also at least two other plays where the ball was knocked lose as he was tackled while going out of bounce.  Gotta clean that up.
Good call out, it wasn't all roses. That is a lot of times putting the rock on the carpet, and will need to watch the tape to see how much of this was ball security vs simple unlucky breaks, as I don't think CMC is known for fumbling.

I think any back with that amount of usage has a simple mathematically higher propensity to fumble based on just the volume, but 3 times in one game is a lot.

Doubt it puts him in the dog house or is an issue going forward, but definitely something of note.

The biggest reason I like CMC is that he literally never comes off the field.  Even after his long 55 yard run yesterday he stayed in and had a 15 yard run to the 1 on the next play.
Thought for sure he was going to take a breather after that long run.  

Another plus is that Cam rarely sneaks those 1 yd TD's in this season.  He used to always keep the rock there.

The kid is all muscle. There isn't anything soft about him (other than his hands for catching the ball) The announcers were right, almost every other RB would raise his hand to come out  of the game after that 50+ yard run. He gets the ball the very next snap and makes a nice gain. He's like Steve Smith strong in a freaky super natural way :)

I wish there was an “eat crow” emoji I could put here.

I thought he was too white and too small to be a feature back and a top 10 RB. I was wrong. He’s pretty damn good.

#EatingCrowNow
Kudos for coming in here and eating it. All the others come back and just call those that called it dumb and illogical! Lol.

The kid is all muscle. There isn't anything soft about him (other than his hands for catching the ball) The announcers were right, almost every other RB would raise his hand to come out  of the game after that 50+ yard run. He gets the ball the very next snap and makes a nice gain. He's like Steve Smith strong in a freaky super natural way :)
Like in the 70's 80's & 90's.

WHat would it take for you CMC owners to deal him in dynasty PPR?
Gurley or Barkley fo sure. A few weeks ago when Kamara had his bad game with Ingram back and I think CMC was coming off a big one, was gonna see if I could pull off a CMC-Kamara straight up in .5 ppr dynasty. Though maybe owner would be panicky. 

Now I'm not so sure I accept that deal if it's presented to me.

I don't know if there is a WR I would deal him for in PPR. Guy is in line for like 80-100 catches.

Gurley or Barkley fo sure. A few weeks ago when Kamara had his bad game with Ingram back and I think CMC was coming off a big one, was gonna see if I could pull off a CMC-Kamara straight up in .5 ppr dynasty. Though maybe owner would be panicky. 

Now I'm not so sure I accept that deal if it's presented to me.

I don't know if there is a WR I would deal him for in PPR. Guy is in line for like 80-100 catches.
Let's not get crazy here...

As a Barkley owner, I'm not giving him for CMC unless it's CMC + another awesome piece.

Users who are viewing this thread