Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TripItUp

Official Christian McCaffrey Thread

6 hours ago, MooversShakers said:

Barkley is definitely a more talented back but is the situation as good? Barkley has a tough rushing schedule and on a ####ty team who will probably be playing from behind quite a bit this year. OBJ is gone, who is the main threat on that team now?

If the Giants are playing from behind Barkley will catch a ton of passes.

I don’t think you could go wrong either way to be honest. Both should be great but both have some minor risks.

8 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

If the Giants are playing from behind Barkley will catch a ton of passes.

I don’t think you could go wrong either way to be honest. Both should be great but both have some minor risks.

Agree with this. To me Barkley's floor remains really high in ppr even in a potentially bad offense because they'll have to run it through him and he'll catch a lot of passes (for the record I think their WRs are a little underrated, but the OL/QB situation is...dicey).

In addition to Cam's health, the Panthers have talked about reducing CMC's workload and that seems pretty likely given they used him a ton last year (his reception usage was record-breaking). But if Cam is good, the upgrade in the OL and further maturity for Moore could make for an efficient offense.

Panthers OC Norv Turner wants to be "smarter" about Christian McCaffrey's usage.

Turner said he was "concerned" about the number of times McCaffrey handled the ball last season, which was 326. He then quickly added that CMC's touches wouldn't necessarily decrease, but that perhaps his snaps would. Absurdly, CMC came off the field for only 22 plays before Week 17 last season. This is a little bit stronger, but the Panthers have generally paid very weak lip service to scaling back CMC's work, while only fifth-rounder Jordan Scarlett was added to the backfield. Ultimately, it's hard to believe McCaffrey will be anything other than a heavily-used workhorse.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Jul 29, 2019, 1:54 PM ET

On 7/12/2019 at 8:16 AM, MooversShakers said:

Considering McCaffrey with the overall #1 pick, why would or wouldnt that be a good idea?

I can see it. I think the Panthers have a fantasy playoff schedule that lends towards high scoring games, which would be *one* tiebreaker in favor of CMC. Barkley is more talented and is going to get a zillion touches though. Even on a really bad offense. 

In general I like to go with the player that plays on the better offense. But I don't know if I can pull the trigger in such a spot. I can only talk about it. Haven't drawn the 1 spot in any of my drafts yet. Aside from a couple $10 best balls.

I, too, can see why the Panthers want to, and will try to, limit CMC's usage/snap count compared to last year.

Can also see why in the end, it won't make a difference. Partly because I think CMC has proved without a doubt that he is an elite back. But mostly because he is literally the best weapon they have, and the rest of the squad looks shaky.

Let's forget about Cam's shoulder and how that might fare -- it clearly was an issue last season and while cleared to play in camp/preseason after yet another surgery in the off-season, he'll be on a pitch count so we won't really see how he's faring until the reg season. But that is something that could tilt the play-calling to feature the run more -- both to protect Cam's arm and to minimize mistakes if he's ailing during the long season.

So who else is there? Greg Olsen has been a perennial pro bowler, but given age and repeated foot fractures and other ailments, I can't think he'll continue to regress as an offensive threat in the passing game.

Similarly, Moore has incredible talent but was raw last year and still developing in terms of field smarts. Torrey Smith is a good veteran presence but hasn't been relevant as an offensive threat for a while. Jarius Wright is still unproven. Hogan can be a good possession/slot receiver but remains to be seen if he can play at the level he did in 2016. 

So in my mind, with very few proven or reliable true offensive weapons, Panthers may need to lean on CMC as much as they can again to stay relevant in the conference and keep up in the division.

5 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I, too, can see why the Panthers want to, and will try to, limit CMC's usage/snap count compared to last year.

Can also see why in the end, it won't make a difference. Partly because I think CMC has proved without a doubt that he is an elite back. But mostly because he is literally the best weapon they have, and the rest of the squad looks shaky.

Let's forget about Cam's shoulder and how that might fare -- it clearly was an issue last season and while cleared to play in camp/preseason after yet another surgery in the off-season, he'll be on a pitch count so we won't really see how he's faring until the reg season. But that is something that could tilt the play-calling to feature the run more -- both to protect Cam's arm and to minimize mistakes if he's ailing during the long season.

So who else is there? Greg Olsen has been a perennial pro bowler, but given age and repeated foot fractures and other ailments, I can't think he'll continue to regress as an offensive threat in the passing game.

Similarly, Moore has incredible talent but was raw last year and still developing in terms of field smarts. Torrey Smith is a good veteran presence but hasn't been relevant as an offensive threat for a while. Jarius Wright is still unproven. Hogan can be a good possession/slot receiver but remains to be seen if he can play at the level he did in 2016. 

Not that this diminishes your point, but they also have Curtis Samuel.

8 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Not that this diminishes your point, but they also have Curtis Samuel.

Good point -- I put him in the same bucket as Moore -- super talented, has yet to really prove it out consistently.

So again, not a guy I would think is considered an offensive threat yet.

I could see Moore and Samuel stepping up in this regard, but with Olsen continuing to lag and Newton himself potentially playing a more protective game for his own health, seems to balance out and mean, to me, that CMC's role and his importance to the team's success isn't going to be any more diminished than it was last year.

Gladly take him 2nd overall in any format, and it's a no-brainer in PPR.

Ended up with the 12th pick in my league. So I'm using my 1st to keep CMC. Absolutely worth it.

I just got the #1 pick in my PPR draft and am torn between CMC and Barkley.  As mentioned earlier it really does come down to finding a tie-breaker.  I had CMC last year and I live in Charlotte so watched him a ton.  If I can become confident his usage will remain the same as last year I absolutely have no problem taking him at #1.

Edited by C-Bound

32 minutes ago, C-Bound said:

I just got the #1 pick in my PPR draft and am torn between CMC and Barkley.  As mentioned earlier it really does come down to finding a tie-breaker.  I had CMC last year and I live in Charlotte so watched him a ton.  If I can become confident his usage will remain the same as last year I absolutely have no problem taking him at #1.

Who do you see taking carries?  CMC seems to be the safest of the big 4 to repeat his production.  (That was Zeke before the holdout craziness.)  Offense should be as good or better too.  Probably better if Cam is truly healthy.

He’s my clear 1.1 for PPR.  Barkley is a solid 2nd, but the Giants could hold him to a season like David Johnson had last year.  Good but not 1.1 worthy.

15 hours ago, Arodin said:

Who do you see taking carries?  CMC seems to be the safest of the big 4 to repeat his production.  (That was Zeke before the holdout craziness.)  Offense should be as good or better too.  Probably better if Cam is truly healthy.

He’s my clear 1.1 for PPR.  Barkley is a solid 2nd, but the Giants could hold him to a season like David Johnson had last year.  Good but not 1.1 worthy.

Nobody, but I'll be watching closely.  He's also my 1.1 at the moment.

CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY RB, CAROLINA PANTHERS

MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Panthers are trying to find a backup who can "ideally" take "a lot" of Christian McCaffrey's short-yardage and goal-line work.

Last year, six of McCaffrey's seven rushing touchdowns came on runs inside the four-yard line, and 17.6-percent of his total carries came with less than three-yards to go. If the Panthers find a capable short-area back, that would somewhat limit McCaffrey's ceiling. But the good news is the Panthers backup backs (Jordan Scarlett, Reggie Bonnafon, and Cameron Artis-Payne) aren't exactly big threats. Not to mention McCaffrey's insane passing-game workload. While it's a situation worth monitoring, this likely amounts to close to nothing for McCaffrey's fantasy value. He still needs to be drafted within the first four picks.

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Aug 12, 2019, 6:11 PM ET

On 8/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, Arodin said:

I agree that Saquon is prime DJ candidate for this year.  I don’t think he scores enough to finish top three.  That team will be terrible and Eli likely plays half the year before they finally put him out to pasture.  

For me, the decision is between CMC and Kamara.  

I’d go CMC solely based on the fact he will touch it more.  

Have #2 in non PPR.  Pretty sure Barkley goes #1 but the guy in that slot is a wildcard.  Right now I have it Zeke at #2 if he reports by opening day (we draft then), CMC #3 and Kamara #4.  If Zeke doesn't report I'm likely ending up with CMC.  Will be an even bigger beast with the added strength.

That Breer report is dumb. They'd have just kept CJA instead of releasing him like nice guys if they cared about that particular role...they want to reduce CMC's overall ridiculous number of snaps, not his number of touches in high leverage situations.

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That Breer report is dumb. They'd have just kept CJA instead of releasing him like nice guys if they cared about that particular role...they want to reduce CMC's overall ridiculous number of snaps, not his number of touches in high leverage situations.

Yeah, that report struck me funny a few ways, this included -- they absolutely should have kept a guy like CJA just to protect the team from a CMC injury.

As it stands right now, I don't see who on the team would be the guy that could reliably be counted on for short-yardage and goal-line work, let alone pick up the slack if CMC does go down.

Certainly Cam should be discouraged from running in the red zone given his injury history (pro tip: he'll still do it anyway given his love of the limelight). Cameron Artis-Payne hasn't really proven himself a goal line back, nor do I think he has a prototypical build for it (not that that dictates everything, but he's 5'11 209 which in today's NFL isn't exactly a load). 

So who else is there on this squad to take that role? Alex Armah? I guess he scored twice last year, but kind of an unknown in terms of taking on "a lot" of carries. Even more unknowns in Reggie Bonnafon or rookies Jordan Scarlett or Elijah Holyfield (who out of everyone at least has a pedigree of punching things in)?

I get wanting to retain some tread on CMC's tires, it totally makes sense. But with this "stable" of "talent" behind CMC, if I'm Ron Rivera, I would take the risk and hand it off to CMC, who is 1000% more talented and gives you a way better shot for points than any of these guys. And/or have kept or replaced a back like CJA who was indeed perfect for both short yardage and a credible injury replacement.

• Like 1

Christian McCaffrey rushed three times for 16 yards, adding one catch for 10 yards in Carolina's third preseason game against the Patriots.

He could've added another catch had he held on to a third-down screen in the first quarter. Needless to say, McCaffrey was yanked the moment Cam Newton (foot) was injured and ruled out for the rest of the game. Time will tell how the cards fall for Carolina's signal-caller heading into the season, but McCaffrey remains a top-two overall option no matter Newton's availability to start the year.

Aug 22, 2019, 9:00 PM ET

Seems hard to say how Cam being out a while could affect him.  Might bump his redzone TD outlook but probably drops him a tad overall unless his reception touches inch up (is that even possible actually...) from the backup.

Picking at 3 tomorrow and a bit nervous about taking him now. Anyone have CMC splits with/out Cam readily available? 

1 minute ago, [icon] said:

Picking at 3 tomorrow and a bit nervous about taking him now. Anyone have CMC splits with/out Cam readily available? 

Took him 1st on Wednesday.  Not really concerned...yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [icon] said:

Cam's only missed 2 games in McCaffrey's 2 years.  Week 16 and 17 last year.  CMC hardly played week 17, but in week 16 vs. the Falcons he went for 21-101 and 12-77.  The 12 receptions were his 2nd most of the year (the most being 14 in week 2 against the Falcons as well).

• Love 1

On 8/23/2019 at 7:57 AM, [icon] said:

His passing numbers went thru the roof

On 8/12/2019 at 9:09 PM, matuski said:

I don't know why I can't buy in on CMC.

Am I racist?

No, just don't like ff points.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Glad the Panthers cut his load back.

30 touches (inc. 10 recept), 200 yd, and 2 TD

• Like 1
  • Love 1

He’s a beast. They’re putting years of wear on his body at this pace but he’s their best hope. 

On pace for 3,344 total yards and 32 TDs.  If only someone on here was predicting perennial pro-bowl status while he was still in college. <<<<  Oh, yeah, I did that!!!  I'm still waiting for my apology from @petekrum who has since disappeared.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

He’s a beast. They’re putting years of wear on his body at this pace but he’s their best hope. 

But he's too small.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

He's right up there with Saquon. Ebony and Ivory.

CMC 1,000/1,000 WATCH V2.0

Game 1: 19 rushes 128 yards (2TD), 10 receptions 81 yards

SEASON PROJECTION: 2,048 yds rushing, 1,296 yds receiving, 32 total TD's

:cool: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, C-Bound said:

Supposedly "limited" in practice today.

Probably to keep him fresh for game day.

Christian McCaffrey rushed 16 times for 37 yards in the Panthers' Week 2 loss to the Bucs, adding two receptions for 16 yards.

Four days after running free against the Rams, McCaffrey had nowhere to go behind an offensive line that wasn't blocking a soul. McCaffrey nearly saved face with a last-second touchdown, but he got chased down by Vernon Hargreaves and William Gholston after taking a direct snap on a 4th-and-1 from the Bucs' two-yard line with 1:28 remaining. In a rare dilemma for McCaffrey, he couldn't find the edge. CMC's 53 yards from scrimmage this evening would have been his lowest for a full game in all of 2018. He will bounce back in next week's A+ draw against the Cardinals.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:48 AM ET

On 9/11/2019 at 9:44 AM, Worm said:

CMC 1,000/1,000 WATCH V2.0

Game 1: 19 rushes 128 yards (2TD), 10 receptions 81 yards

SEASON PROJECTION: 2,048 yds rushing, 1,296 yds receiving, 32 total TD's

:cool: 

Update on season projection?

• Laughing 2

1 hour ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Update on season projection?

2 game average

17.5 ra 82.5 rypg 8.5 targets/game 6 receptions/game 48.5 rypg

On pace for 280 rushing attempts 1320 rushing yards 16 TD 136 targets 96 receptions 776 receiving yards 

Given that he has scored 5 and 6 receiving TD in the previous two years respectively on about 6% of his receptions so far that would be 5.6 receiving TD if he does end up with 96 receptions.

He likely wont score 16 rushing TD though, so the two game projection is probably fine. He may not end up with that many rushing attempts but I think the yards are possible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

2 game average

17.5 ra 82.5 rypg 8.5 targets/game 6 receptions/game 48.5 rypg

On pace for 280 rushing attempts 1320 rushing yards 16 TD 136 targets 96 receptions 776 receiving yards 

Given that he has scored 5 and 6 receiving TD in the previous two years respectively on about 6% of his receptions so far that would be 5.6 receiving TD if he does end up with 96 receptions.

He likely wont score 16 rushing TD though, so the two game projection is probably fine. He may not end up with that many rushing attempts but I think the yards are possible.

It was just a joke about projecting year long stats after one game.  That's silly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

It was just a joke about projecting year long stats after one game.  That's silly.

I agree but its also fun.

This was what a floor game for CMC looks like. Week one was a ceiling.

Im not sure the new throwing motion is working out as well as hoped for Cam.  IMO The linebackers were keying on something between CMC and Cam to guess the plays.  IMO If no receiver can provide the threat to take the lid off the defense (besides Olsen), instead of a safety dropping back, an extra linebacker will stay on the field.  In that case, Run CMC may see double coverage all season and Cam may struggle against a consistent heavy rush. 

And when you think about it, what receiver on that roster is going to command the double coverage to get it off CMC?  Olsen maybe?

The extra man is probably on CMC all season.   

Edited by Hairy Snowman

43 minutes ago, Hairy Snowman said:

Im not sure the new throwing motion is working out as well as hoped for Cam.  IMO The linebackers were keying on something between CMC and Cam to guess the plays.  IMO If no receiver can provide the threat to take the lid off the defense (besides Olsen), instead of a safety dropping back, an extra linebacker will stay on the field.  In that case, Run CMC may see double coverage all season and Cam may struggle against a consistent heavy rush. 

And when you think about it, what receiver on that roster is going to command the double coverage to get it off CMC?  Olsen maybe?

I don’t own him anywhere for the second straight year and that totally bums me out as I love watching play (as long as it’s not against me). But I’d be fairly concerned on the same observations you’re making about last night. If Newton really is limited it, teams will absolutely sell out to stop CMC. The Bucs let Olsen have that one on one coverage knowing he’d get a lot of yards but he’s way les dangerous after the catch. It worked.

1 hour ago, Hairy Snowman said:

Cams accuracy is worse than ever.   Samuels, Moore and Olsen are not the problem.  They are getting open.  My biggest concern is that the Oline is really bad.  They cannot run or pass block.