What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (3 Viewers)

Christian McCaffrey (knee) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

This is likely a maintenance day for the stud back, but Thursday and Friday's injury reports are worth tracking just to be sure. McCaffrey is on pace for 2,488 yards from scrimmage, which keeps him in the hunt to beat Chris Johnson's record. Assuming he's healthy, McCaffrey will be the RB1 overall this week against the beatable Packers run defense.

Nov 6, 2019, 10:00 PM ET

Christian McCaffrey (knee) wasn't listed on the Panthers' final injury report.

CMC continues to sport the league's most-consistent and fantasy-friendly workload while providing absolutely ridiculous efficiency. A complete list of NFL players to ever average more PPR per game in a single season than McCaffrey (30.8) in 2019 features 2000 Marshall Faulk (32.9) and 2002 Priest Holmes (31.6). That's it. Continue to treat McCaffrey as fantasy football's No. 1 overall player ahead of Week 10's road matchup against the Packers' run funnel defense.

SOURCE: Packers.com

Nov 8, 2019, 4:12 PM ET

Christian McCaffrey rushed 20 times for 108 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' 24-16, Week 10 loss to the Packers.

He added six catches for 33 yards on seven targets as a receiver. McCaffrey was held in check to 51 total yards and no scores in the first half, but he got in a groove after the break and finally found the end zone from three yards out in the fourth quarter. The Panthers flirted with the goal line again on the final drive, down by eight, and handed it to McCaffrey with four seconds left from the two-yard line, but he was stuffed mere centimeters from the goal line as teammate Greg Van Roten tried to drag him into the end zone. McCaffrey gets a tasty Week 11 home draw against the Falcons. He has 100-plus yards and/or one touchdown in all but one game this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough to take the author seriously when he starts out describing the "blizzard conditions" in Green Bay last week.  A nice fall snow shower, but nothing more.  As for McCaffrey, his season, thus far, is noteworthy, but so too a few others.  As someone invested in him I hope he not only maintains, but increases his production, ideally on a few less touches.  I am pulling for him to do great things.  Not sure that can overcome Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Rodgers, and Cook, but who knows.  I believe he is ahead of Jones and probably Cook too, though there it is close.

Just looking at this dude's workload in 2019... on pace for 414 touches... any concerns for 2020 over the 370-touch curse for RBs?

I know he looks invincible, but they all do, until they're not. Currently a "Q" for week 11 by the way (foot - held out of practice).

Just looking at this dude's workload in 2019... on pace for 414 touches... any concerns for 2020 over the 370-touch curse for RBs?

I know he looks invincible, but they all do, until they're not. Currently a "Q" for week 11 by the way (foot - held out of practice).
I think you ride the train as long as it is producing like this. Are you considering trading him away now before the playoffs? I think you go down with the ship on guys like mccaffrey. If they get hurt, it happens, but he’s too talented to trade away unless getting back 2-3 stud players.

I think you ride the train as long as it is producing like this. Are you considering trading him away now before the playoffs? I think you go down with the ship on guys like mccaffrey. If they get hurt, it happens, but he’s too talented to trade away unless getting back 2-3 stud players.
No, nothing like that. I was just ribbing the last place guy in our league, and asked if he was tanking for Tua too (he's a Dolphins fan). And he said tanking for McCaffrey, and it just got me to thinking about the history of RBs following year's with massive work loads.

There's no 370-touch curse. Don't worry about it.

There's no 370-touch curse. Don't worry about it.
OK, as I mentioned, I'm not worried about it... more/less curious if others consider it heading into 2020.

FWIW - The "370 rule" is not my theory, and it's not a new theory, but it is A theory... and quite interesting: Curse of 370

OK, as I mentioned, I'm not worried about it... more/less curious if others consider it heading into 2020.

FWIW - The "370 rule" is not my theory, and it's not a new theory, but it is A theory... and quite interesting: Curse of 370
First of all, that article is about 370 carries, not 370 touches. And it ignores post-season carries, which is intellectually dishonest.

Second of all, it's a perfect example of multiple endpoint fallacy. What's magic about the 370th carry? Nothing, obviously. So why that number? Here's why:

In NFL history, there have been 8 RB seasons which ended between 367 and 369 carries. (Extremely bizarrely, Curtis Martin did it three times). Here are the results of the following year for those backs:

• 1980 Earl Campbell: 373/1934/13, 11/47/0, RB#2
  • 1980 Walter Payton: 317/1460/6, 46/367/1, RB#4 
  • 1995 Emmitt Smith: 377/1773/25, 62/375/0, RB#1
  • 1996 Curtis Martin: 316/1152/14, 46/333/3, RB#4
  • 1998 Terrell Davis: 392/2008/21, 25/217/2, RB#1
  • 1999 Curtis Martin: 367/1464/5, 45/259/0, RB#8
  • 2000 Edgerrin James: 387/1700/13, 63/594/5, RB#2
  • 2000 Curtis Martin: 316/1204/9, 70/508/2, RB#8
So, four of the eight backs in this set led the league in rushing in the following year. Every one of them finished in the top 10, and four of eight finished as the #1 or #2 fantasy RB. Several of these are among the greatest RB seasons of all time.

So what's magical about 367-369 carries? Nothing more than is magical about 370. No matter what the stat is, you can find a cut-off like this where the performances below the cutoff are better than the performances above the cutoff. You can go hunting for that cutoff point, as the people who did the original 370 carry article did. But you won't be describing anything useful about reality.

Christian McCaffrey rushed 14 times for 70 yards and caught 11-of-14 targets for 121 yards in the Panthers' 29-3, Week 11 loss to the Falcons.

The Panthers were never in this game, and it shows just how matchup-proof McCaffrey is as a true every-down back that he was able to do so much damage with Carolina getting clocked on the scoreboard. McCaffrey was easily the best player on the field and the best path to yards for the Panthers. McCaffrey gets his first date of the year with the Saints next week at the Superdome.

I blew it and let him go in a one player keeper. He woulda cost me pick 2.1. I opted to keep David Johnson at pick 6.1 and have my 1st and 2nd round pick available. I’m still crying....

Christian McCaffrey took 22 carries for 64 yards and a touchdown, while catching all nine targets for 69 yards and another score, in the Panthers' Week 12 loss to the Saints.

McCaffrey's goal-line score showcased the type of agility we've come to expect from CMC, as he made a Saints defender totally whiff in a tight space with a jump cut inside. Overall, McCaffrey was mostly shut down on the ground with a long carry of nine yards. He did continue to shine on short checkdowns from Kyle Allen, including a 23-yard tight rope walk along the sideline. McCaffrey has 100-plus total yards in all but two games this season.

Christian McCaffrey rushed 14 times for 44 yards and caught 7-of-13 targets for 58 receiving yards in the Panthers' Week 13 loss to the Redskins

This will end any MVP talks, especially with Lamar beating the Niners. Anyways, McCaffrey entered the game averaging 155 total yards and 1.45 touchdowns per game, so it's safe to call Week 13 an outlier performance. CMC mostly looked like his usual self, but he can only do so much with Kyle Allen playing the way he did. McCaffrey is likely to rebound as an elite RB1 against the Falcons next week. Consider this week's stat line close to his floor.

How he manages to carve up Ds when everyone knows he is getting the ball amazes me. Watching him get so wide open in the flat would infuriate me if I was playing against him...and I am.

Really good chance his best days are behind him now. They hire some so called young offensive guru like Nagy, Taylor, Kingsbury or Gase, McCaffrey will come out of the game every 3rd play because it's all about being tricky by subbing in inferior players for #1 RBs. He's a risky redraft pick if you take him #1.

How does the Panthers coaching changes affect McCaffrey? If at all?
How about Tepper doesn’t want to see CMC get used up and exposed to injury by an interim staff since he just had to watch Kyle Allen start 14 games because Ron Rivera wouldn’t admit Cam Newton was injured...?

How about Tepper doesn’t want to see CMC get used up and exposed to injury by an interim staff since he just had to watch Kyle Allen start 14 games because Ron Rivera wouldn’t admit Cam Newton was injured...?
Yeah I thought about this. Firing your coach to get a head start on interviewing is not a move you do if you're worried about winning games right now. We'll see.

Christian McCaffrey rushed 11 times for 53 yards and caught 11-of-12 targets for 82 receiving yards in the Panthers' Week 14 loss to the Falcons.

McCaffrey has been held out of the end zone in three of his last four games, but even that hasn't stopped CMC from posting elite RB1 numbers. The fantasy MVP is completely matchup-proof thanks to his insane receiving workload. CMC caught multiple cheap receptions with just a few minutes left despite trailing three touchdowns on Sunday, a near-weekly tradition that's given CMC an unheard of floor. McCaffrey is now on pace for 106 receptions and 894 receiving yards. A home game against the Seahawks awaits.

We are officially in rare air ladies and gents.

Currently CMac sits at 416 ff points with 2 games left.  All time leaders since 2002

2002 - Priest Holmes 443

2003 - LT 444

2003 - Priest 445

2006 - LT 481

LT's all time record is probably safe, but 2nd all time is within his reach if he plays both of the remaining games.

Christian McCaffrey notched 87 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries while also contributing eight grabs for 88 yards on 10 targets Sunday in Carolina’s Week 15 loss to Seattle.

McCaffrey entered Sunday in the midst of a rare two-game touchdown drought. He ended the dry spell in emphatic fashion, going for 175 yards in the losing effort. That put him over 2,000 yards from scrimmage a first in franchise history. C-Mac also went over the 90-catch mark, following Larry Centers in becoming only the second running back to achieve that mark twice. The holes weren't always there for McCaffrey Sunday but whenever he got a head steam, there was no stopping him. The league-leader in touchdowns with 18 (14 rushing, four receiving), McCaffrey should be in for a mammoth performance next week at Indianapolis.

I’m so sick of facing this guy. I didn’t draft him in one league. He’s amazing. I just can’t get my head wrapped around the fact that the team has literally NOTHING going for it other than him yet every week he just scores and scores and scores...

Christian McCaffrey caught all 15 (!!!) of his targets for 119 yards, rushing 13 times for another 54 yards in the Panthers' Week 16 loss to the Colts.

This one was a no-contest from the first whistle with Will Grier (224 yards and three picks) under center, but that's not the storyline everyone's monitoring. McCaffrey needs just 67 receiving yards in Carolina's regular season finale to join Marshall Faulk and Roger Craig as the only members of the illustrious 1,000/1,000 club. With his 15 catches in Sunday's loss, he also became the first running back in NFL history with back-to-back 100-catch seasons, simultaneously passing Kelvin Benjamin (2,424) for the sixth-most receiving yards in franchise history. McCaffrey will undoubtedly suit up for Carolina's home finale against the Saints with the sole purpose of chasing history in just his second year in the league.

Users who are viewing this thread