Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TripItUp

Official Christian McCaffrey Thread

41 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

More players than I'd be allowed to roster.

Lol I get it ... but that’s nonsense. There is a price for everything. 

Christian McCaffrey (ankle) rushed 18 times for 59 yards and two touchdowns in the Panthers' Week 2 loss against the Bucs before exiting in the fourth quarter with an ankle injury.

Add CMC to the list of superstars who suffered an injury in Week 2, although McCaffrey's does not appear to be as serious as others. He jogged slowly off the field following his second touchdown run, and was seen having his ankle wrapped by trainers on the sideline while being announced as Questionable to return. After the Bucs scored the game-ending touchdown, CMC was then ruled out. McCaffrey added another four catches for 29 yards against Tamp Bay. Hopefully he is healthy enough to face the Chargers in Week 3. Mike Davis saw every snap in his absence.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (ankle) will miss multiple weeks. 

The league's injury Armageddon continues. McCaffrey underwent an MRI after suffering an ankle injury Sunday against the Bucs. Mike Davis came in for CMC Sunday and caught all eight of his targets for 74 yards, operating as the workhorse behind McCaffrey. He should be added in all leagues, and could be a boon for fantasy players in PPR leagues. Panthers HC Matt Rhule complimented Davis' training camp performance last month and made it clear he would be second in line behind CMC. Trenton Cannon, listed as Carolina's RB3 behind Davis, is a reasonable pick up in deep leagues. Davis could be a fine RB in Week 3 against the Chargers. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
  • Sad 1

FRACK!!!!!!

CBS Sports has this also. 

Panthers' Christian McCaffrey: Expected to miss multiple weeks

23 mins ago

McCaffery (ankle) is expected to sit out "multiple weeks" due to the injury he sustained during Sunday's 31-17 loss to the Buccaneers, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

McCaffery suffered the injury late during the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss, and he's slated to undergo an MRI on Monday to officially determine the nature of his ankle issue. If the every-down superstar is indeed forced to miss multiple weeks, Mike Davis will be the top candidate to replace him in Carolina's backfield. Curtis Samuel and Trenton Cannon could also see reps at running back.

fuuuuuuuuuudge. Of course the week I decided to roll the dice on grabbing Mo Allie Cox so took a chance by cutting Davis.

• Sad 2

Any possibility he comes back early like Saquon last year?

3 minutes ago, ATB said:

And then suffer through mediocre play for most of the rest of the season?  No thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tangfoot said:

And then suffer through mediocre play for most of the rest of the season?  No thanks

Not asking what you hope will happen. Just wanna know if this dude is built different like Saquon apparently is. I mean, people were dropping Saquon last year and then he beat the timeline to actually come back.

If that's a possibility here, I'll think about not trading him. 

IR a possibility now with the shorter duration? Would help in leagues like mine where "Out" players can't go on IR.

Literally dropped Mike Davis an hour before kickoff for a speculative RB add. Ugh

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

fuuuuuuuuuudge. Of course the week I decided to roll the dice on grabbing Mo Allie Cox so took a chance by cutting Davis.

Same boat.

Edited by Insein
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ATB said:

People knew Saquon recovered fast because he did it in college.  I don't know if CMC has that direct injury example in college to say that.

So is this the Mike Davis show until week 6-8?  While he's not CMC, is he a RB1 through that span? 

4 minutes ago, [icon] said:

So is this the Mike Davis show until week 6-8?  While he's not CMC, is he a RB1 through that span? 

Given the paucity of RBs playing well right now, why not?

9 minutes ago, [icon] said:

If I manage to get Davis off waivers, I'll be playing James Robinson over him, and possibly Gaskin. But maybe he does produce. That whole team is a disaster though.

I would say he's the most guaranteed of any RB waiver pickup this year. He was CMC's direct backup and the 3rd RB is former Jets' KR/RB Trenton Cannon. They've have to sign another back in order to muddy the waters and he's better than Devonta Freeman to me.

Edited by The Frankman

17 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Definitely not an RB1. CMC was only truly a RB1 through his sheer brilliance and the 2 TDs each game. Davis would be a low end RB2 with a tough schedule through the next 6 weeks (except for 2 games vs ATL) if he gets the majority of the work. If Carolina brings up Reggie Bonnafon from the PS or begins to use Curtis Samuel more out of the backfield, Davis slides to RB3.

I'm hesitating even making a waiver claim on Davis in the league I have CMC because I would have to drop Joshua Kelley for him.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, creepythinman said:

Definitely not an RB1. CMC was only truly a RB1 through his sheer brilliance and the 2 TDs each game. Davis would be a low end RB2 with a tough schedule through the next 6 weeks (except for 2 games vs ATL) if he gets the majority of the work. If Carolina brings up Reggie Bonnafon from the PS or begins to use Curtis Samuel more out of the backfield, Davis slides to RB3.

I'm hesitating even making a waiver claim on Davis in the league I have CMC because I would have to drop Joshua Kelley for him.

Carolina's Rushing Attack through Weeks 1 & 2: 
47 Rushes / 184 yds / 4 TDs
15 Rec / 142yds / 0 TDs

Assuming no CMC, how do you see that ~ 23 Rushes / ~7 Targets shaking out among the CAR backfield? Were Davis' 8 Targets in CMC's absence a total fluke? 

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Carolina's Rushing Attack through Weeks 1 & 2: 
47 Rushes / 184 yds / 4 TDs
15 Rec / 142yds / 0 TDs

Assuming no CMC, how do you see that ~ 23 Rushes / ~7 Targets shaking out among the CAR backfield? Were Davis' 8 Targets in CMC's absence a total fluke? 

From what I saw yesterday, almost all of Davis' targets came in dump-offs in garbage time with TB taking away anything past 15 yards. From what I've seen, this offense isn't one gameplanning to pass it to their RBs (see CMC's 3 catches on 4 targets in week 1).

I'm weary on banking on garbage time dump-off production for any RBs especially if there are one or two options on the team who could step into that role.

Mike Davis has been serviceable when has gotten opportunity before. However, the buzz in preseason was about Curtis Samuel being used as a backup RB too. The jury is still out on how Rhule/Brady will be in the NFL, but this is a place I would put a marker if available in more shallow leagues. This Panthers team is going to be trailing a lot.

Is he worth shooting a trade offer for now in hopes to get him for a playoff run?  What would an injured CMC cost?

46 minutes ago, wgoldsph said:

Is he worth shooting a trade offer for now in hopes to get him for a playoff run?  What would an injured CMC cost?

Absolutely. I think CMC beats this 4-6 week timeline, if they don't IR him. 

I'd still value him as a top-10 RB going forward.

4 hours ago, heckmanm said:

IR a possibility now with the shorter duration? Would help in leagues like mine where "Out" players can't go on IR.

Same here..My 3 spots would be full.. Barkley, CMC, Sutton (dynasty). My luck is they put him on IR after waivers.

3 hours ago, creepythinman said:

Christian McCaffrey: "“They say four to six weeks. That’s a challenge to me. Hopefully I can get back a lot earlier. I’m going to attack this.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/21/christian-mccaffrey-they-say-ill-miss-4-6-weeks-im-hoping-a-lot-less/

Literally everyone who has a High Ankle Sprain says this. :D  

When was the last time someone came back early from HAS and returned to anything resembling previous performance levels? 

• Like 3

This really stinks.   Most players don’t come back back the same from this injury until the following season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wgoldsph said:

Absolutely.

The cost would depend on your league specifics.

3 hours ago, travdogg said:

Absolutely. I think CMC beats this 4-6 week timeline, if they don't IR him. 

I'd still value him as a top-10 RB going forward.

The IR has been expanded this season and players can return 3 weeks after being placed on IR. So if they put CMC on IR or not he will be coming back once he has recovered.

HAS is an injury that seems to hamper players even after they recover from it as other have said.

52 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

The IR has been expanded this season and players can return 3 weeks after being placed on IR. So if they put CMC on IR or not he will be coming back once he has recovered.

HAS is an injury that seems to hamper players even after they recover from it as other have said.

Hoping they put him on that 3 week IR tomorrow before waivers run on Wed to use that roster spot.

I'm thinking of trading him. 4-6 weeks without him will most likely cost me 3-4 games. I can't keep CMC after this year anymore anyway. Trading away his remaining potential and keeper rights should be enough to land me 2 lower RB1 tier types I hope. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wgoldsph said:

You'll have to pry him off my cold, dead hands. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

You'll have to pry him off my cold, dead hands. 

Me too. I’ll have to ride James Robinson for a while. Hopefully they IR him soon so I can claim Davis with the roster spot.

4 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Right, my point was that if he doesn't go on IR, they think he can make it back in 3 games or less.

3 hours ago, Blackbear said:

Me too. I’ll have to ride James Robinson for a while. Hopefully they IR him soon so I can claim Davis with the roster spot.

:hifive:

We've got the same gameplan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Insein said:

I'm thinking of trading him. 4-6 weeks without him will most likely cost me 3-4 games. I can't keep CMC after this year anymore anyway. Trading away his remaining potential and keeper rights should be enough to land me 2 lower RB1 tier types I hope. 

I'm confident I can still pick up W's without him, but I'm still offering him out there for basically any top 10 running back.

I suspect universal rejections however.

Panthers placed RB Christian McCaffrey (ankle) on injured reserve.

This was expected after McCaffrey was given a 4-6 week timetable. The move to IR confirms he'll be out at least three games. Mike Davis will start for McCaffrey and is a plug-in RB3.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (ankle) will be out at least one more week. 

Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said McCaffrey is "attacking rehab every day" on his way back from a Week 2 ankle injury. It looks like CMC could be active for Carolina's Week 6 game against the Bears. He could also return the following week against New Orleans. Mike Davis has filled in admirably for McCaffrey, playing 76 percent of the team's offensive snaps and getting 37 percent of the Panthers' total opportunity (rushes plus targets). Davis has 202 total yards in two starts this season. While Reggie Bonnafon cut into Davis' Week 4 playing time, he remains a strong PPR start in Week 5. 

RELATED: 

Reggie Bonnafon

, Mike Davis

SOURCE: Myles Simmons on Twitter 

Oct 5, 2020, 12:46 PM ET

The Associated Press' Steve Reed said there's little chance Christian McCaffrey (ankle) plays in Week 6 against the Bears. 

Carolina head coach Matt Rhule said the team would only make a decision on McCaffrey's Week 6 status after a series of tests on his injured ankle. Reed said "it's a 4-6 week injury and I would think there would be no way he'd be ready for this Sunday." Probably Rhule -- who on Monday wouldn't speculate on when McCaffrey might return -- will stretch this out all week, but fantasy players should prepare to go one more week without CMC. Mike Davis will continue as the team's workhorse back. Davis -- before Alvin Kamara plays Monday night -- is fantasy's top running back over the past three weeks in PPR leagues. 

SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter 

Oct 12, 2020, 12:55 PM ET

Christian McCaffrey (ankle, I.R.) is not practicing Wednesday.

McCaffrey has missed the last three weeks and is eligible to return any time now, but he's not quite ready after being given a 4-6 weeks timetable. Mike Davis is the overall RB3 since McCaffrey went down, and it sounds like we'll get another week of Davis against the Bears.

RELATED: 

Mike Davis

Oct 14, 2020, 2:33 PM ET

Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (ankle) could be out until Week 8 against the Falcons. 

ESPN's David Newton said Week 8 is a "more realistic" timeline for CMC's return from his serious ankle injury. Week 8 is a short week for Carolina, as they play Atlanta on Thursday Night Football. There's a chance fantasy managers won't get their No. 1 pick back until Week 10 -- after their Week 9 bye week -- when the Panthers play Kansas City. As long as McCaffrey is out, Mike Davis remains a must-start in all formats. 

- David Newton on Twitter

Edited by The Frankman

They've won three in a row without him. No need to rush back. Davis is playing great. Even when he comes back I would think that they've learned that he doesn't need to be in on every play. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Football said:

They've won three in a row without him. No need to rush back. Davis is playing great. Even when he comes back I would think that they've learned that he doesn't need to be in on every play. 

As a guy with both Davis and CMC, I like the first bit but am not wild about the second