What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (2 Viewers)

In redraft, I would move him now before he comes back and looks "different" and gives about 1/3 touches to Mike Davis.

Said the Saquon owners in 2019.
Not exactly apples to apples, as I don’t recall Saquon performing consistently at a mark 40% higher than the next closest RB over the course of the previous 18 games (or at any point for that matter).  No less, Saquon was an elite difference maker in the fantasy playoffs last year and likely won championships for those that rode him out. 

I recall it being reported or perhaps speculated that he could have been ready to go last week but that he was held out specifically because of the short following week and that he would likely be ready for TNF. 

I'm hoping that wasn't just blind speculation and the guy won't need much practice time to prove he's ready, having already shown the ankle is healed last week in limited sideline drills. 

I hope he doesn't.  1 Extra game gives him 10 full days rest and if he's even pushing to play this week, he should be ready to rock next week.
Fully with you. Short week on his first hard workout? I sure hope CAR is smarter than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he doesn't.  1 Extra game gives him 10 full days rest and if he's even pushing to play this week, he should be ready to rock next week.
Valid question.  But again, if McCaffrey was operating at 60% of last year’s efficiency, he’d have still been THE #1 overall RB.  If he were operating at 60% of his production this year, he’d still be a RB1.  

I think he’ll be fine, and if he’s not quite himself, he’s likely still an elite ppr RB.  Shop him if you want, but I’d be far more regretful trading him and watching him carry another owner to a title than riding him out and seeing him underperform.

Valid question.  But again, if McCaffrey was operating at 60% of last year’s efficiency, he’d have still been THE #1 overall RB.  If he were operating at 60% of his production this year, he’d still be a RB1.  

I think he’ll be fine, and if he’s not quite himself, he’s likely still an elite ppr RB.  Shop him if you want, but I’d be far more regretful trading him and watching him carry another owner to a title than riding him out and seeing him underperform.
I'm not talking fantasy... I just feel long term for the rest of the season, he'll be better if he doesn't play this week and lets himself heal.

How much did that monster game in week 16 help that and how many Barkley owners made it that far to harvest the fruit?

This is what I meant to respond to.

How much did that monster game in week 16 help that and how many Barkley owners made it that far to harvest the fruit?
First, IF an owner did make it, then Barkley probably won them a championship - 30 and 43 points in weeks 15 and 16.

Second, if we are going to get into eliminating weeks, let's be fair about it:

1. He was RB 7 in PPG using all the games he played in

2. If we want to eliminate his highest scoring week, then we should also eliminate the week he got hurt in and didn't play a full game. He was RB 12 if we do that.

3. If we eliminate just the week he got hurt because he didn't play a full game, he was RB #3 on the year and averaged 19.7 PPG.

So yes, he had a few bad weeks in there last year. But overall, he was still very solid and put up good to great numbers.

In redraft, I would move him now before he comes back and looks "different" and gives about 1/3 touches to Mike Davis.
I'd be very shocked if Davis commanded anywhere near that much work. CMC was playing 100% of snaps at one point, I think Davis has done enough that the 100% is a thing of the past, but I would think if the RB position sees 30 combined rushes/targets that CMC sees 25 of them.

I'd guess its about 80-20 once CMC is healthy, which is still probably as big as any other RB's workload. 

Let's not pretend that Davis has been playing some great football. He's been a fantasy asset for sure, but that has been volume and TD based. He's a tough runner, and sneaky good pass catcher, but he has no big play ability. Useful backup/insurance policy is exactly what his role should be, and he's performed it admirably. 

Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (ankle) was activated from injured reserve and is practicing regularly Tuesday. 

Updating a previous item, it seems CMC has shed the red non-participation jersey and donned a helmet at Tuesday's practice. This could indicate he has some chance of suiting up Thursday night against Atlanta. His Tuesday and Wednesday practice status will prove critical. 

SOURCE: Carolina Panthers on Twitter 

Oct 27, 2020, 12:09 PM ET

Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (ankle) wore a red non-participation jersey at practice Tuesday. 

He wore the same jersey during Monday's practice. ESPN's David Newton said this "increases the likelihood" McCaffrey won't be available Thursday night against the Falcons. McCaffrey drafters might get their guy back for Week 9 against Kansas City. Mike Davis remains a RB2 play for at least one more week. 

RELATED: 

Mike Davis

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter 

Oct 27, 2020, 11:46 AM ET

Clear as mud.  I'm assuming from the timestamps that he started out with the no-contact jersey and then "shed" it?  I'm desperate to get him back at RB so am hoping for the best. 

Clear as mud.  I'm assuming from the timestamps that he started out with the no-contact jersey and then "shed" it?  I'm desperate to get him back at RB so am hoping for the best. 
The footage I saw from Monday he looked like a fan that got to hang out with the Panthers for a day. He had a red jersey, but I don't think he was even wearing pads.., unless the clips I saw were afterwards?

The footage I saw from Monday he looked like a fan that got to hang out with the Panthers for a day. He had a red jersey, but I don't think he was even wearing pads.., unless the clips I saw were afterwards?
I can't say, but the latest report was from Tuesday and sounds a lot more promising.  Practicing regularly doesn't sound like he is just chilling on the sidelines.  I am still hesitant to get my hopes up too much given the tight practice week, but Carolina has lost the last two games and may be a little more likely to want that spark. 

The more positive news us McCaffrey owners hear is music to our ears. It's soon. How soon? Perhaps next week, perhaps very soon. 

I was trying to pry away Davis for a decent price to no avail. Davis is only BN material to any other owner once CMC returns and I would trade for him like a J Kelley for Davis straight up for insurance and a handcuff. Short benches prevent too many handcuffs. 

Ghoti said:
From Rotowire:

However, shortly after the Panthers announced that McCaffrey was designated to return from IR, David Newton of ESPN.com noted that the running back put on a helmet and swapped his red jersey for a black one. 

so is he like... playing?
Its certainly looking that way. If he's playing, I think he instantly slots in as a top-5 RB, especially against the Falcons. 

This is a bit of a must win for Carolina. They have kind of overachieved so far, to the point where a wildcard isn't out of the question. 

Its certainly looking that way. If he's playing, I think he instantly slots in as a top-5 RB, especially against the Falcons. 

This is a bit of a must win for Carolina. They have kind of overachieved so far, to the point where a wildcard isn't out of the question. 
I know its McCaffery and you play him if he's in.... but any chance they ease him in and they split work this week?

I know its McCaffery and you play him if he's in.... but any chance they ease him in and they split work this week?
You're kidding right?!!!! If he's playing you play him. Ease him or not. You play him!

What I am referring to Deamon is if he's playing, and we will all know this very soon, you play him regardless of what might happen. Sure, he could get eased in and sure he could get taken out when the team needs a 1 yard gain, but he might not either. He may even have an off CMC game, or he could go for 100+ and two scores. There's a reason he's #1 overall, and Kamara is close behind in my book right now. 

Ghoti said:
Clear as mud.
Active or inactive for TNF, that's all you really need to know.  I'd guess he won't play on Thursday and take the extra 10 days to ramp it up in practice.  Then full go rest of season.

I was trying to pry away Davis for a decent price to no avail. 
Didn't bother in either league I have CMC in.  Probably won't until closer to the trade deadline.  The GM that has Davis will be more reasonable when he's been on their bench for a few weeks.

Panthers coach Matt Rhule is "hopeful" Christian McCaffrey (ankle) will be ready for Thursday's game against the Falcons. 

Unsurprisingly, Rhule said how McCaffrey's ankle responds to Tuesday's practice on Wednesday will be key. "He looks like he’s moving around great. Just we’ll let the medical people and him determine how much he can do, or when he can play in a game. It won't be a minute too early. We'll be smart." Most signs are pointing toward a McCaffrey return — this has been the rumored return date for several weeks — but Rhule can be believed when he says the team won't force it. Despite overachieving, this is a reset year for the Panthers. They will not risk CMC's future health. We should know McCaffrey's status by Wednesday. He will not be a game-time decision.   

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter 

Oct 27, 2020, 2:06 PM ET

Yep

"Mike Davis is again expected to lead the Carolina backfield Thursday night with Christian McCaffrey (ankle) not likely to be activated for the contest, David Newton of ESPN reports.

Analysis: Davis may be coming off his most lackluster fantasy effort since officially taking over for McCaffrey in Week 3, but he'll draw an opponent Thursday night he's already had tremendous success against this season. When Davis and the Panthers squared off against Atlanta in Week 5, he carried the ball 16 times for 89 yards, adding in nine catches for 60 yards and a score. This could very well be the last time Davis has a lead role, however, with McCaffrey expected to be back Week 9 in Kansas City"

-Rotowire

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Christian McCaffrey (ankle) is not expected to play in Week 8 against the Falcons.

McCaffrey's outlook was always headed this way after he donned a non-participation jersey for practice mid-week. Mike Davis, who recorded 16/89 rushing and a season-high nine catches against the Falcons in the team's first matchup, will receive one more crack as Carolina's bell-cow (and low-end RB1) before reverting back to the bench. McCaffrey is expected to return next week against the Chiefs.

RELATED: 

Mike Davis

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Oct 29, 2020, 9:09 AM ET

He’s ruled out, they missed the deadline to elevate him from IR to the active roster already. 

Good news imo, I wanted them to wait one more week, this buys 10 more days for him to get closer to 100% and lessen the chance of re-aggravating it. 

Are there any stats re: other notable RB's who returned from a hi ankle sprain only to re-injure?  Just wondering if that alone would be worthy of a Mike Davis hold (non McCaffery owner who will either try to trade to the owner or hold and see)

Are there any stats re: other notable RB's who returned from a hi ankle sprain only to re-injure?  Just wondering if that alone would be worthy of a Mike Davis hold (non McCaffery owner who will either try to trade to the owner or hold and see)
Dynasty: I own McCaffrey but not Davis. Thinking of offering Akers for Davis for piece of mind rest of year.  I also have DHenry, Mixon and Bernard, and Conner and can start 3 RB

Davis has no value to the other owner when McCaffrey back and I know he won't just drop Davis.

If I own Davis without McCaffrey I would reach out to McCaffrey owner now or hold him rest of year as a lotto ticket.

Dynasty: I own McCaffrey but not Davis. Thinking of offering Akers for Davis for piece of mind rest of year.  I also have DHenry, Mixon and Bernard, and Conner and can start 3 RB

Davis has no value to the other owner when McCaffrey back and I know he won't just drop Davis.

If I own Davis without McCaffrey I would reach out to McCaffrey owner now or hold him rest of year as a lotto ticket.
That seems to be giving up on Akers pretty early, IMO. I'd hold Akers and see if his value increases later in the year if you are looking to sell.

I have Davis, not McCaffrey. I wouldn't do that trade. Davis is an excellent, proven handcuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread