What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (3 Viewers)

No news, but I'd be a little surprised if he didn't play this week. Would seem silly for them to activate him and have him sit out two weeks when they could have kept him on IR and used that roster spot.

No news, but I'd be a little surprised if he didn't play this week. Would seem silly for them to activate him and have him sit out two weeks when they could have kept him on IR and used that roster spot.
just for clarity, they didn't activate him yet and he's still on IR. they opened the window to be able to activate him and will have until Saturday morning to do so to have him in the lineup this week. Once he's on the active roster they would have to declare an actual injury status for him.

i would also be shocked if he wasn't in the lineup this week though and desperately need him back before my season gets any worse.

Christian McCaffrey (ankle) returned to practice Wednesday.

This is McCaffrey's first practice since going down in Week 2. He reportedly "looked good" cutting during the portion that was open to the media. The Panthers are expected to activate McCaffrey from IR after holding him out last week. With Mike Davis showing well, McCaffrey may not have a full workload in his Week 9 return. 

Source: The Athletic

Nov 4, 2020, 12:41 PM ET

Coach Matt Rhule said he's "very hopeful" Christian McCaffrey (ankle, I.R.) is able to return this week against the Chiefs.

When McCaffrey returns, Mike Davis will be nothing more than a prospective bench stash for fantasy managers. Rhule said the Panthers are taking things day by day with McCaffrey, but all expectations are CMC will be back in the lineup against Kansas City. It's unclear if he'd be able to handle his normal 25-30 touches workload, but he should be near 100% seven weeks after the injury.

RELATED: 

Mike Davis

SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter

Nov 4, 2020, 3:03 PM ET

just for clarity, they didn't activate him yet and he's still on IR. they opened the window to be able to activate him and will have until Saturday morning to do so to have him in the lineup this week. Once he's on the active roster they would have to declare an actual injury status for him.

i would also be shocked if he wasn't in the lineup this week though and desperately need him back before my season gets any worse.
Thank you. Yes I think I jumped the gun with him practicing and such. Maybe I should focus on work when I'm at work.

ESPN's David Newton said it "seems like a formality" for the Panthers to activate Christian McCaffrey (ankle) for Week 9 against the Chiefs. 

Newton said McCaffrey displayed burst and agility during the session, sprinting and making cuts. Coach Matt Rhule said on Tuesday that he's "very hopeful" McCaffrey can play this week against Kansas City. Mike Davis would return to bench stash status for fantasy managers and CMC would resume his role as a high-end RB1 no matter the matchup. 

RELATED: 

Mike Davis

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter 

Nov 5, 2020, 1:25 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Panthers RBs Christian McCaffrey and Mike Davis will "rotate series" in Week 9 against the Chiefs.

Rapoport says the rotation is "to keep both of them fresh." The Panthers gave McCaffrey a $64 million contract in the offseason so it's reasonable to expect that to protect their investment in his first game back from a knee injury that sent him to injured reserve. This puts Mike Davis into the conversation at FLEX but he remains a low-ceiling/low-floor option even in PPR leagues. McCaffrey may split work with him this week but he should return to his 2019 role in short order.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 8, 2020, 9:47 AM ET

OMG it sure was nice to have him back, but hearing that he hurt his ribs or shoulder and missed the end of the game.  Does anyone have any information? 

OMG it sure was nice to have him back, but hearing that he hurt his ribs or shoulder and missed the end of the game.  Does anyone have any information? 
I believe he came back in and caught a pass after leaving for a couple of plays. Someone can (and I am sure will) correct me if I am wrong.

He came back in after one of the trainers was working on him, he caught the short pass with 2 seconds left.  
I didn’t see him get hurt initially. After this short catch and subsequent lunge and hard landing he came out was grimacing on the sideline. I think he was out the next play and then there was the desperation fg attempt. 

Christian McCaffrey rushed 18 times for 69 yards and a touchdown and caught 10-of-10 targets for 82 yards and a touchdown in the Panthers' Week 9 loss to the Chiefs.

There were reports that McCaffrey would be splitting snaps with Mike Davis but that simply wasn't the case. Mike Davis only had one carry and six targets as a distant No. 2 back while McCaffrey declared dominance over the backfield. His 28 touches were reminiscent of his weekly 2019 totals and are a great sign for McCaffrey drafters looking to rebound down the stretch. The Panthers likely continue feeding their multi-million dollar man with 15-plus carries and upwards of 10-plus targets each week. He's already back into the No. 1 overall fantasy player conversation with Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook, and Davante Adams.

Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey is "very much in doubt" for Week 10 after suffering a shoulder injury in Week 9 against Kansas City. 

That escalated quickly. McCaffrey finally returned from an ankle injury in Week 9 and resumed his workhorse role in Carolina's offense with 28 touches, 151 yards, and a touchdown. He dominated backfield snaps despite pregame reports that the Panthers could deploy a timeshare between CMC and Mike Davis. McCaffrey was hurt late in the game on a tackle near the sideline. He appeared to be in pain for several minutes after the tackle. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said McCaffrey will have tests on his injured shoulder to determine the extent of the damage. If CMC is out, Davis should once again take over as the Panthers' primary back. 

- Ian Rappoport

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was hoping that it was just gonna be some soreness. He came back in, which was obviously stupid. Anyway, hopefully just a 1-2 week think. Glad I traded for Davis. :(

The one doctor that I follow on Instagram that does some fantasy write ups said if it's a grade one AC Joint like he's guessing he may miss practice time but might be able to to play or may miss one week. If it's more than a grade one AC Joint, could be more time.
Not a devastating injury but if not treated correctly or allowed to heal can linger.

This coming from a J. Conner owner and J. Reed owner who both had this and it pretty much undermined their seasons previously.

Think pain tolerance is big here too. 

This is a huge bummer.  Same thing happened with my other decent RB, Mostert, after his first injury this year  - back for one game and then hurt again.  I was making a run at the Mike Davis owner for a trade, but that's all scrapped now.  Hope he is back soon.  

This is a huge bummer.  Same thing happened with my other decent RB, Mostert, after his first injury this year  - back for one game and then hurt again.  I was making a run at the Mike Davis owner for a trade, but that's all scrapped now.  Hope he is back soon.  
I don't know if maybe he hadn't seen the news yet, but thankfully I was able to trade Jamaal Williams to the Aaron Jones owner this morning for Mike Davis.

Based on how careful the Panthers played the ankle injury, I'm guessing he'll be out this weekend.  Hopefully that's all.

Sounds like a situation where they'll see where he's at this week, but is likely a game time decision. Being that this is a huge game against TB(who is sputtering the last 2 weeks) I'd put him at about 60/40 to play, being that he came back in, and nobody seems to think this is a major injury. 

If CMC is out, I bet its only for 1 game. 

Early no practice report on Wednesday not a good sign usually. Have to think he's doubtful.
Guys with injuries(whether they are playing through them or not) never practice Wednesdays. AJ Brown seemingly hasn't practiced Wednesday all season. The key is Friday. Even a limited practice would likely be enough to play. 

Frankly, if he does miss a week, this isn't the worst game to miss, against a pissed off Bucs team. I actually probably wouldn't be super into Mike Davis at all if CMC is out. 

NFL Beat Writers Retweeted

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

10m

Panthers’ RB Christian McCaffrey is not expected to play Sunday against Tampa Bay due to a right shoulder, per sources. McCaffrey now will be considered week to week

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Christian McCaffrey (shoulder) isn't expected to play in Week 10 against the Bucs.

McCaffrey is getting a second opinion on his injured shoulder. He'll miss at least Sunday's matchup with the Bucs and is considered week to week. It's been a nightmare season for McCaffrey, who just returned from IR in Week 9 after missing six games. Mike Davis will take over as the Panthers's lead back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got an alert that based on his second opinion he has a real chance at playing next week (not this coming week).
I'll take any good news I can get.  Here's the report:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Christian McCaffrey (shoulder) has a "realistic chance" to return for Week 11 against the Lions.

It's the results of McCaffrey's second opinion on his shoulder. He'll miss Sunday's matchup against the Bucs but may be healthy enough to return the following week. Carolina's bye in Week 13 could also impact how quickly the organization wants to rush McCaffrey back with Mike Davis confidently backing him up. The former's participation in practice next week will leave a few tea leaves for fantasy players to follow.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 12, 2020, 9:44 AM ET

According to Dr. Chao, it’s a pain tolerance thing. If they were full on in the playoff hunt, he’d probably be playing this week with a lidocaine injection. 
If there does in fact end up being 16 playoff teams, Carolina is still very much in the hunt. Pretty much everybody except the Jets and Jaguars are.

According to Dr. Chao, it’s a pain tolerance thing. If they were full on in the playoff hunt, he’d probably be playing this week with a lidocaine injection. 
This is what J. Conner had last year. He came back too early and that was it for him. 

CMC gets hit on that before he's healed he's out again.

Pretty smart of CMC to play up an injury the week he goes against the most formidable Run D in the entire league.  Veteran savvy, there.

Yikes. I'd really love to experience the narrative where my teams with CMC make it into the dance and then crush with him back in the lineup. Managing this season has been a chore. Looking forward to the stretch run but dang I'd like to see him back.

Users who are viewing this thread