Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
TripItUp

Official Christian McCaffrey Thread

Recommended Posts

Quote

An AFC senior personnel executive described Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey as a bigger, faster version of Los Angeles Chargers RB Danny Woodhead.

"He has some tools (catching and return skills) that I like, so that will help his value," he said. "He is more of a balance, body-control type of runner. He's not really a dynamic slasher. He has some shake and wiggle, but I don't know if he has that special pitter pat." NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks gives New England Patriots RB Dion Lewis as his comparison for McCaffrey, while an NFC senior personnel executive warned Brooks not to comp C-Mac to Reggie Bush. "I don't think he is nearly as explosive or as dynamic as Bush was when he came out of USC," the exec said. "With that being said, I think we saw how NFL teams used Bush as a pro. I think you do the same thing with McCaffrey. ... I don't see him carrying the load. I see him catching the ball out of the backfield or getting the ball on some gadgets. I might be wrong, but I just don't see him as a full-time guy."
 
Source: NFL.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Faust said:

 

a bigger, faster version of Danny Woodhead? What does that even mean? Is a bigger and faster version of Danny Woodhead, even Danny Woodhead?

So he has the whiteness of Danny Woohead but he's bigger and faster?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

a bigger, faster version of Danny Woodhead? What does that even mean? Is a bigger and faster version of Danny Woodhead, even Danny Woodhead?

So he has the whiteness of Danny Woohead but he's bigger and faster?

It's a polite way of saying he's a niche back in the NFL and not someone you want as your main guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, petekrum said:

It's a polite way of saying he's a niche back in the NFL and not someone you want as your main guy.

Without making any predictions on McCaffery at this point, if a RB was in any way similar to Woodhead but "bigger and faster" (by the way whichever GM said that may want to check out Woodhead's 40 time, since it was elite level), I'd say that guy would be a great RB in the NFL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Without making any predictions on McCaffery at this point, if a RB was in any way similar to Woodhead but "bigger and faster" (by the way whichever GM said that may want to check out Woodhead's 40 time, since it was elite level), I'd say that guy would be a great RB in the NFL.

Some are of that opinion, while others, myself included, are not. Gonna make for some interesting discussion leading up to the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2017 at 9:04 PM, Xue said:

That McCaffrey ran a 4.4 in the video I posted.

 

He didn't say he ran a 4.4, he said in the 4.4s.  A 4.49 would qualify for that comment.  And how do you know that the 40 being referenced is the same 40 that you posted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, petekrum said:

Some are of that opinion, while others, myself included, are not. Gonna make for some interesting discussion leading up to the draft.

And countless I told you so posts during his career. :unsure: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2017 at 0:04 PM, LawFitz said:

Why can't he be like Lesean McCoy?

He's not as stocky and not as shifty. A few posters have talked about never seeing a White running back being a stud in their lifetime. I think it's because the stud backs McCaffrey's size are playing slotback.  Compare the size of Edleman to Jon Arnett or Frank Gifford. The sample size while not being large enough to pass a university study suggests that White running backs of a certain size lack agility ie Gerhart and many of these college type workhorse backs are then converted to fullback as most teams except for rare exceptions have no need for one cut and go power backs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes he is Woodhead plus or Woodhead is a poor man's McCaffrey.  His potential is much better than Woodhead because of his size.  That said Woodhead has been a decent utility back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 32 Counter Pass said:

And countless I told you so posts during his career. :unsure: 

One way or the other.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Csonka4life said:

Yes he is Woodhead plus or Woodhead is a poor man's McCaffrey.  His potential is much better than Woodhead because of his size.  That said Woodhead has been a decent utility back.

Woodhead 5'9" 200 lbs

McCaffrey 6'0" 200 lbs

 

Woodhead actually has the more solid build, and I'd bet McCaffrey won't be faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is all over the place in terms of draft slot and teams that are interested.

Not sure Im going to be a buyer even towards the end of the first round in a rookie draft. If he was on the clock at my pick (in the latter part of the round) I might drop pack a couple of spots and take another pick or an IDP for the trouble.

I like watching the guy play, but Im not sure he is going to be an NFL star right out of the gate.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scothawk said:

He is all over the place in terms of draft slot and teams that are interested.

Not sure Im going to be a buyer even towards the end of the first round in a rookie draft. If he was on the clock at my pick (in the latter part of the round) I might drop pack a couple of spots and take another pick or an IDP for the trouble.

I like watching the guy play, but Im not sure he is going to be an NFL star right out of the gate.

 

Yeah cause late 1st round picks are all guaranteed stars right out of the gate. Solid post.

Edited by voiceofunreason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Location location location. Put him on Indy, Carolina, or phillyI'll take him 1.05 at the latest. Jets, JAX, or someplace with an established 2 down back and I drop him to about 1.10. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, petekrum said:

Woodhead 5'9" 200 lbs

McCaffrey 6'0" 200 lbs

 

Woodhead actually has the more solid build, and I'd bet McCaffrey won't be faster.

That to me was the strangest part of that executives statement. Forgetting the ridiculousness of saying "a bigger AND faster" version of some player in the first place, but their sizes are similar and Woodhead will almost assuredly show to be the faster player (I believe he ran a 4.3) - unless we're talking about the 32 year old version of Woodhead.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Csonka4life said:

He's not as stocky and not as shifty. A few posters have talked about never seeing a White running back being a stud in their lifetime. I think it's because the stud backs McCaffrey's size are playing slotback.  Compare the size of Edleman to Jon Arnett or Frank Gifford. The sample size while not being large enough to pass a university study suggests that White running backs of a certain size lack agility ie Gerhart and many of these college type workhorse backs are then converted to fullback as most teams except for rare exceptions have no need for one cut and go power backs.

Nominee for Dumbest Post of the Month (TM).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

Location location location. Put him on Indy, Carolina, or phillyI'll take him 1.05 at the latest. Jets, JAX, or someplace with an established 2 down back and I drop him to about 1.10. 

Yep, plus scoring rules scoring rules scoring rules.  I am in three dynasty leagues, one with full PPR and return yards, one with tiered PPR (.5, .75, 1.0) and no return yards, and one with tiered PPR (.5, .75, 1.25) and return yards.  I will have three very different values on him in each league.  #1 he's got top 6 potential in.  #2 I'll likely rank him around 20, and #3 will be 12 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

NFL Media's Mike Mayock thinks the Patriots would be a perfect match for Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey at No. 32.

 

This oft-discussed marriage seems ideal for both parties. "I would be surprised if he lasted that long, but ... [t]he NFL’s become a matchup league, and Christian McCaffrey is a matchup player," Mayock said. "You can line him up anywhere: the I, slot, all the way out wide, sidecar to QB, he becomes a chess piece for a smart offensive mind. He will run 4.5 or better, and I’ve never seen him get caught from behind. He’s going to be a very good NFL player." NFL.com colleague Bucky Brooks interestingly offered New England Patriots RB Dion Lewis as his comparison for McCaffrey.
 
Source: MMQB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Pro Football Focus' Jordan Plocher believes that Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey's two most important Combine showings to watch for will be his 40-yard dash and physical measurements.

 

"The important things for McCaffrey to demonstrate at the combine will be to show he has the frame to handle the workload of a lead back and the long speed to pull away from NFL defenders," Plocher writes. He would like to see the Stanford star weigh in at 200 to 205 pounds and clock a 40-yard dash in the mid 4.4's. For context on McCaffrey's measurement, the Cardinal listed him at 6-foot, 200 pounds prior to the start of the 2016 campaign.
 
 
Feb 28 - 7:50 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Measured in at 5'11 and 202 pounds. Almost identical to LeSean McCoy's combine measurements and he hasn't had any problems as a feature back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Measured in at 5'11 and 202 pounds. Almost identical to LeSean McCoy's combine measurements and he hasn't had any problems as a feature back. 

That's actually not a great height/weight ratio for a feature back - even if there have been a few outliers. It's surely not a death knell, but I would have preferred at least 5-10 more pounds on a 5'11" frame.

Edited by Dr. Octopus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

That's actually not a great height/weight ratio for a feature back - even if there have been a few outliers. It's surely not a death knell, but I would have preferred at least 5-10 more pounds on a 5'11" frame.

I get it. I'm much higher on McCaffrey than most. He averaged over 20 carries per game in college and that's not including receptions or KR/PR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5-11 202 is a little better than the 6-0 200 you typically saw him listed at before the Combine. I think McCaffrey is just big enough to be a feature back given his well-rounded skill set.

I also believe he'll be drafted no later than the early 2nd as a feature back.

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know Bells exact playing weight last season but back in June he said he was down to around 212 on a 6-1 frame. 5-11/202 seems like similar type range to me.

I reference Bell because some people felt McCaffery ran more hesitantly his last season, and maybe he did. But he also has Bell send him his game tapes(I think that's how I heard it, or if not he has someone send him Bell's game tapes) so I solid chance he's trying to pattern some aspects of his game after Bell.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I don't know Bells exact playing weight last season but back in June he said he was down to around 212 on a 6-1 frame. 5-11/202 seems like similar type range to me.

I reference Bell because some people felt McCaffery ran more hesitantly his last season, and maybe he did. But he also has Bell send him his game tapes(I think that's how I heard it, or if not he has someone send him Bell's game tapes) so I solid chance he's trying to pattern some aspects of his game after Bell.

 

Bell is listed at 225...

ETA: FBG's has him at 6'2" 230.

Edited by thatguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That said, the idea of Christian modeling his game after Bell is not surprising because the first thing I notice when watching his tape is his patience, the way he'll almost just stop behind his linemen and just wait for the hole to develop, almost identical to Bell.

Not comparing the other aspects of his game to Bell, but this particular similarity was pretty striking to me.

Edited by thatguy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thatguy said:

Bell is listed at 225...

Yea but that means nothing, I don't think they have updated that since he entered the league. He got up around 235-240 as a rookie and has been steady getting smaller ever since. He said he was 212 and June and I'd say that is within a few pounds of what he played at last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, menobrown said:

Yea but that means nothing, I don't think they have updated that since he entered the league. He got up around 235-240 as a rookie and has been steady getting smaller ever since. He said he was 212 and June and I'd say that is within a few pounds of what he played at last season.

Fair enough.  Kind of annoying they don't update those things. I'm still not sure it's the best comparison given that Bell is a big back who slimmed down whereas Christian is a smaller back so is probably doing all he can to gain muscle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thatguy said:

Fair enough.  Kind of annoying they don't update those things. I'm still not sure it's the best comparison given that Bell is a big back who slimmed down whereas Christian is a smaller back so is probably doing all he can to gain muscle. 

Yea be good if they updated that stuff when players report to camp but some OL might need it changed it every week.

I was just trying to draw a comp between 6-1/212 and 5-11/202 being similar body mass but to be sure Bell is a big back who got small. I don't know if McCaffery's interest is in getting bigger, he only got 10 reps on bench press today so does not sound like a guy living in the weight room. He's also sill 20 for a few more months and just looking at him he does not look physically maxed out so I think he can get a little bigger if he wants.

I care more about how he tests myself than if he gains another 5-10 pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to preface this by saying that bench reps are the least predictive measurement they do at the combine. Based on what I have heard recently, the only thing teams are looking for out of the bench press is for players to have over either 16 or 18 reps (its not clear to me which) to show an average level of core strength. The reps are more a test of the players endurance while spending energy.

McCaffrey only doing 10 reps in the bench press is below this threshold and perhaps reason to be concerned that his other measurables will not be that great either.

I still like what I have seen of him play and I agree with thatguys previous comments about his patience and vision being similar in style to LeVeon Bell. I think this is perhaps the most important part of a RBs skill set and it is something that cannot really be measured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I just want to preface this by saying that bench reps are the least predictive measurement they do at the combine. Based on what I have heard recently, the only thing teams are looking for out of the bench press is for players to have over either 16 or 18 reps (its not clear to me which) to show an average level of core strength. The reps are more a test of the players endurance while spending energy.

 

Agree it means little but the one thing I've heard several people say it does mean is simply a test to see if the player has been dedicated in the weight room, which is why I brought it up in the context I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
 

Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey revealed that he fought through a hip bruise during the 2016 season.

 

Stanford is generally mum on specifics when it comes to injury. McCaffrey missed two games this season due to a mystery injury. Make that a mystery injury, former. While his hip bruise did hinder him this past season, he still finished out with 1,913 total yards from scrimmage and 16 total touchdowns.
 
 
Mar 2 - 4:42 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I just want to preface this by saying that bench reps are the least predictive measurement they do at the combine. Based on what I have heard recently, the only thing teams are looking for out of the bench press is for players to have over either 16 or 18 reps (its not clear to me which) to show an average level of core strength. The reps are more a test of the players endurance while spending energy.

McCaffrey only doing 10 reps in the bench press is below this threshold and perhaps reason to be concerned that his other measurables will not be that great either.

I still like what I have seen of him play and I agree with thatguys previous comments about his patience and vision being similar in style to LeVeon Bell. I think this is perhaps the most important part of a RBs skill set and it is something that cannot really be measured.

Interesting enough I was listening to him today on NFL radio. He made mentions of his diversity and open to being drafted as a slot receiver. I thought that was odd but it made me wonder what he was hearing about what NFL execs thought of him. For a RB to mention he's open to being drafted as a WR?!?!?!? Hhhhhmmm

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My math has AP's BMI (combine) at 27.86.  I don't use inches, though so that probably changes things slightly.  That said, McCaffrey's is 28.17.  Peterson was also a year and a half older than McCaffrey is going into the draft.  McCaffrey is only 20 years old and he doesn't turn 21 until June.  I'd say a 28 BMI at age 20 is pretty damn good if we're going that route as far as trying to predict if he can handle the load.  I'm quite sure he can handle the load.  I REALLY hope he gets drafted by a team who plans on giving him 22+ touches per game.  If that happens, he WILL be a perennial pro bowler.  Mark my words.  He's silly good and has done it at a VERY young age.  He was 19 when he broke Barry's record, he has NFL and Olympic blood lines and is known to be an extremely hard worker (he is white after all)  <<<  inside joke for the staple white NFL er, he's gritty/hard-working/lunch pale.... type of guy.  McCaffrey has elite vision and patience which is why he doesn't need to make ankle breaking cuts.  I've said it a ton, he sees things a second or 2 before they happen.  He's special and I sure hope whoever drafts him sees it the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTex said:

Interesting enough I was listening to him today on NFL radio. He made mentions of his diversity and open to being drafted as a slot receiver. I thought that was odd but it made me wonder what he was hearing about what NFL execs thought of him. For a RB to mention he's open to being drafted as a WR?!?!?!? Hhhhhmmm

Tex

That is interesting. 

Speculating on this, it may be that teams are talking about drafting him for what he can do for them as a receiver (and return specialist) as being where he will contribute the most. Wide receivers get paid more than RB on average I believe as well, so his agent might have an interest in him being classified as a WR instead?

From what I read he wants to contribute in all phases, but realistically I think most teams try to find ways to use him, but also may find ways to let him rest at times as well, especially if he is doing a lot of returns.

If he were classified as a WR, he would add extra value as a runner from that position in fantasy.

Edited by Biabreakable
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 reps at 225. Hmmmmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He needs to hit the weights more.  Perhaps he's stronger in other muscles that count on the football field, but if his arms aren't strong enough, defensive linemen are going to rip the ball out of his hands over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CabinFever said:

Best white RB since John Riggins? 

Well, Riggins was the last white RB to have any continued success. I believe McCaffrey will settle into a more complimentary role, not a back that can carry you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

He needs to hit the weights more.  Perhaps he's stronger in other muscles that count on the football field, but if his arms aren't strong enough, defensive linemen are going to rip the ball out of his hands over and over.

I'm not buying that logic. Bench press for a RB means very little and McCaffrey had a very good/low fumble rate in college. I believe he had the lowest rate of any of the consensus top RBs from this class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, gianmarco said:

This guy is not a 4.6 guy

Beautiful patience and vision along with burst and more than enough speed.  Elite hands.  Want him a little bigger than 200lbs if he's really 6'0, but that's the only knock.  Will be interesting to see his height/weight at the combine.  Don't really need to see anything else, honestly.

ETA -- Sick moves and some top level speed

Like I said, he's not a 4.6 guy.  4.49 is plenty fast and jives with what you see on the field.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4.48 official 40 time (4.59 on second attempt), 10'1" broad jump, 37.5" vertical. Looks good to me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better than both Cook and Fournette in all 3. Fournette's vertical was, I think, 28.5 and Cook's was I think 30.5. Kamara showed great in all 3... not sure what to make of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has thick legs, far more important to me for a RB than upper body strength. What's not to like? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thatguy said:

Has thick legs, far more important to me for a RB than upper body strength. What's not to like? 

Telk me about it!  I've been trying to convince people for the last year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member