What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oregon Militia Takeover - Ammon Bundy arrested (1 Viewer)

As soon as I saw the news on this incident I knew the FFA thread about it would be tremendous. You all have not disappointed.

A couple corrections for all the people whining about how the government burned some cows and didn't have to pay anyone: that "story" was just quotes from two ranchers. Those ranchers were free to pursue compensation for their losses under both the 5th Amendment and the Federal Tort Claims Act, which nullifies sovereign immunity in cases of federal commission of a tort. These ranchers apparently chose not to do so. Why? I dunno. For some crazy reason the "Tri State Livestock News" didn't seem interested in questioning the statements of some ranchers.
:lmao: They would lose a fortune even if they won. Nobody with any sense would pursue this case regardless of the merits.
Obviously I'm not the genius you are. Can you explain how they would lose a fortune even if they won, particularly under the FTCA where attorney's fees are set by statute as a percentage of the recovery amount?
Don't be so hard on yourself. I firmly believe you know when you are being obtuse.

They feel they are being unfairly targeted by the government. Why would they stick their neck further out for something so small? The time, energy, and potential future consequences wouldn't be worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As soon as I saw the news on this incident I knew the FFA thread about it would be tremendous. You all have not disappointed.

A couple corrections for all the people whining about how the government burned some cows and didn't have to pay anyone: that "story" was just quotes from two ranchers. Those ranchers were free to pursue compensation for their losses under both the 5th Amendment and the Federal Tort Claims Act, which nullifies sovereign immunity in cases of federal commission of a tort. These ranchers apparently chose not to do so. Why? I dunno. For some crazy reason the "Tri State Livestock News" didn't seem interested in questioning the statements of some ranchers.
:lmao: They would lose a fortune even if they won. Nobody with any sense would pursue this case regardless of the merits.
Obviously I'm not the genius you are. Can you explain how they would lose a fortune even if they won, particularly under the FTCA where attorney's fees are set by statute as a percentage of the recovery amount?
They feel they are being unfairly targeted by the government. Why would they stick their neck further out for something so small? The time, energy, and potential future consequences wouldn't be worth it.
That's great. Now can you explain how "they would lose a fortune even if they won"?

Pretty sad that many Conservatives seem to be supporting these guys.

Taking over a federal building armed with guns and threatening violence if they are removed.

Doesn't get much more Anti-American than that.

That's great. Now can you explain how "they would lose a fortune even if they won"?
I just did.

It's not worth their time, energy, or potential retaliation.

There is no guarantee they would be compensated or be able to find an attorney willing to take the case with so little potential reward. It's not worth the investment.

Many? I argue with conservatives in this forum all the time. Lately it seems like that's all I do around here. I can't recall a single conservative in this thread who has defended this seizure.

So are the heavily armed terrorists who made goodbye videos, you know like suicide bombers do, and who have threatened to kill federal agents still alive? Apparently. Must be white folks.

I just did.

It's not worth their time, energy, or potential retaliation.

There is no guarantee they would be compensated or be able to find an attorney willing to take the case with so little potential reward. It's not worth the investment.
No, you didn't. In your first post you didn't say they wouldn't be able to find an attorney, or that they might lose, or that it might be more time and effort than it was worth. You said "they would lose a fortune [ie actual money] even if they won." And you laughed at me for missing such an obvious point.

So can you break down for me how they would lose a fortune even if they won? Those were your words. How much would this lost "fortune" after obtaining a favorable decision come to? I grant that I don't know as much about the value of cattle and the hidden costs of litigating on contingency as you do, so I must be missing something.

So are the heavily armed terrorists who made goodbye videos, you know like suicide bombers do, and who have threatened to kill federal agents still alive? Apparently. Must be white folks.
So the government should move in and kill them? Also, not sure what race really has to do with this? Seems like the government has all the time in the world to get this right. I can't imagine any of these guys not serving a lot of time in the pokey.

So the government should move in and kill them? Also, not sure what race really has to do with this? Seems like the government has all the time in the world to get this right. I can't imagine any of these guys not serving a lot of time in the pokey.
How many people are in jail from the Bundy ranch standoff? I'm not aware of any.

And I not advocating another Waco. Just pointing out the difference in response by the media and the public.

What is the "right" answer here? Walk up and issue trespassing citations to everyone? How well do you think that will work?

We have become a people capable of reading any event along partisan political divides. It is amazing to me how we can see our agendas in any scenario.

I have no opinion on the underlying case(s) against the Hammonds. I have found the Hammonds response, thus far, to this matter, to be responsible. I will be interested to see whether they follow through and do in fact surrender themselves to authorities to serve out the remainder of their jail term.

The militia folks, well they are looking, in my opinion, to redress grievances real or imagined. That is dangerous particularly when they have lost the discernment to ascertain the difference.

I find the daughter hot.

I like the looks of the building being occupied.
figures someone on your side would say that

What is the "right" answer here? Walk up and issue trespassing citations to everyone? How well do you think that will work?
The right answer is to negotiate and try to do everything they can to resolve this peacefully. I assume that is what the gov't is doing now.

How many people are in jail from the Bundy ranch standoff? I'm not aware of any.

And I not advocating another Waco. Just pointing out the difference in response by the media and the public.
The less media response the better I say. No reason to give these guys any larger of a platform. If this ends badly it will spark more of these events. Just let them get hungry and tired and give up on their own. They need to be made to look foolish, so others don't copy their actions.

The government is in a position of strength, hell I would send them pizzas and beer and tell them to enjoy their vacation. Don't let them go out like the martyrs they think people will see them as. Don't give them what they want.

imagine a group of black militants take over a federal building ...

We have become a people capable of reading any event along partisan political divides. It is amazing to me how we can see our agendas in any scenario.

I have no opinion on the underlying case(s) against the Hammonds. I have found the Hammonds response, thus far, to this matter, to be responsible. I will be interested to see whether they follow through and do in fact surrender themselves to authorities to serve out the remainder of their jail term.

The militia folks, well they are looking, in my opinion, to redress grievances real or imagined. That is dangerous particularly when they have lost the discernment to ascertain the difference.

I find the daughter hot.

I will need clarification. What side am I on, and say which of the 5 observations I made? I mean, if my side is aging frustrated heteros, obviously I would observe that the young lady is attractive. If my side is admirers of stone work, well then I might enjoy the rustic work in the building.

I just did.It's not worth their time, energy, or potential retaliation.

No, you didn't. In your first post you didn't say they wouldn't be able to find an attorney, or that they might lose, or that it might be more time and effort than it was worth. You said "they would lose a fortune [ie actual money] even if they won." And you laughed at me for missing such an obvious point.

So can you break down for me how they would lose a fortune even if they won? Those were your words. How much would this lost "fortune" after obtaining a favorable decision come to? I grant that I don't know as much about the value of cattle and the hidden costs of litigating on contingency as you do, so I must be missing something.
How are you not understanding this? The potential reward is too small for someone to invest the time and money required to fight a federal lawsuit on this.

Any attorney they hired would be compensated based on what was awarded. Small award = small compensation. There's also always the risk that they don't.

Why would someone do that? They are self-employed. Unless they have an abundance of extra time and money to throw around I don't see why they would choose to go through all of this.

The right answer is to negotiate and try to do everything they can to resolve this peacefully. I assume that is what the gov't is doing now.
Sounds good. Maybe we'll start doing that instead of killing the next black child with a toy gun. Or the next unarmed black man.

How are you not understanding this? The potential reward is too small for someone to invest the time and money required to fight a federal lawsuit on this.

Any attorney they hired would be compensated based on what was awarded. Small award = small compensation. That's assuming they win. There's always a risk they don't.

Why would someone do that? They are self-employed. Unless they have an abundance of extra time and money to throw around I don't see why they would choose to go through all of this.
Publicity.

I managed to find several examples with a simple use of the Google. One may have been particularly thought provoking, or simply provoking of partisan responses. I have resisted the urge to post the link. Adding fuel to this fire is not something I care to do at this time.

I do note that many of the responses I got on Google were instances in the late 60's and early 70's, which was to be anticipated. that was a time of great unrest and upheaval.

I find the daughter hot.

I will need clarification. What side am I on, and say which of the 5 observations I made? I mean, if my side is aging frustrated heteros, obviously I would observe that the young lady is attractive. If my side is admirers of stone work, well then I might enjoy the rustic work in the building.
Hey man. Get with the program. If you don't pick a side, you can't be categorized. If you can't be categorized people from the other side can't make sweeping generalizations about you. If people can't make sweeping generalizations about people they disagree with the entire internet social structure could crumble. Do you want to be responsible for that?Pick a damn side and stick to it.

Many?I argue with conservatives in this forum all the time. Lately it seems like that's all I do around here. I can't recall a single conservative in this thread who has defended this seizure.
Check out the comments on FoxNews.com.....

Warning: They will make you sick to your stomach

How are you not understanding this? The potential reward is too small for someone to invest the time and money required to fight a federal lawsuit on this.Any attorney they hired would be compensated based on what was awarded. Small award = small compensation. That's assuming they win. There's always a risk they don't.

Publicity.
For that, they are better off just protesting like they are now.

...or just a black kid at a park with a toy gun.

Many?I argue with conservatives in this forum all the time. Lately it seems like that's all I do around here. I can't recall a single conservative in this thread who has defended this seizure.
Check out the comments on FoxNews.com.....

Warning: They will make you sick to your stomach
Have to remember there are different issues at play. the land issue vs the sentencing issue vs the seizure. The nutjobs seizing the building want to connect them all together and they really aren't. Don't make the same mistake or fall into that. I don't think anyone here has defended the seizure.

I'm a little surprised some liberals or progressives don't find the reconviction issue concerning. I acknowledge the total legality of it it just seems like a less than democratic way of doing things. I'm guessing this often happens to people convicted of drug crimes but we never hear about it. Mandatory sentencing is one of the causes of the drug crime reform movement. Likewise if some drug dealer was let out by a lenient judge who ignored the mandatory minimum sentence I'm sure conservatives would howl about it.

Sounds good. Maybe we'll start doing that instead of killing the next black child with a toy gun. Or the next unarmed black man.
I believe you have conflated, in your mind, unusual events with the normal course of affairs. I presume you have allowed this to happen because your sense of justice was so offended by those incidents that it is difficult to hold matters in perspective. That, to me, indicates you are a man of conscience. From other postings of yours I have read, and I am a fan, I also know you to be a man of some reason. Myself, I do not always maintain a balance between my reasons and my emotions.

I find the daughter hot.

Hey man. Get with the program. If you don't pick a side, you can't be categorized. If you can't be categorized people from the other side can't make sweeping generalizations about you. If people can't make sweeping generalizations about people they disagree with the entire internet social structure could crumble. Do you want to be responsible for that?Pick a damn side and stick to it.
Thank you for the perspective. I did not mean to advocate anarchy.

BTW, Fennis is good people. I am certain his clarification will be enlightening. If not enlightening, it will be funny because he is also one of the better wits around here and he may be getting ready to slap me out of my slumber.

Any attorney they hired would be compensated based on what was awarded. Small award = small compensation. That's assuming they win. There's always a risk they don't.

How are you not understanding that you said "even if they won they'd lose a fortune?" You didn't say they might not win. You didn't say the risk was too great (not sure how you know so much about cattle prices + property damages vs litigation expenses, but whatever). You said even if they won they'd lose a fortune.

Now you want to walk that back and argue a totally different point, which is fine, but just admit it. I don't know a lot about cattle prices and property damages vs litigation expenses so I guess I'll have to defer to your expertise on thoe subjects.

How are you not understanding this? The potential reward is too small for someone to invest the time and money required to fight a federal lawsuit on this.Any attorney they hired would be compensated based on what was awarded. Small award = small compensation. That's assuming they win. There's always a risk they don't.

Publicity.
For that, they are better off just protesting like they are now.
I guess I was not clear.

Paying an attorney isn't really part of the equation.

I believe you have conflated, in your mind, unusual events with the normal course of affairs. I presume you have allowed this to happen because your sense of justice was so offended by those incidents that it is difficult to hold matters in perspective. That, to me, indicates you are a man of conscience. From other postings of yours I have read, and I am a fan, I also know you to be a man of some reason. Myself, I do not always maintain a balance between my reasons and my emotions.
I'm pretty sure I got taken to task here. I guess I'm tired of seeing these right wing whackjobs treated with kid gloves while we gun down children and unarmed adults with no repercussions. Seems like the disconnect should be forcefully pointed out until the problem gets dealt with.

By the way huge fan.

Trump should come out with a deal, tell everyone to stand down and if elected he'll pardon everyone and blow up (figuratively speaking) the BLM himself.

One would hope with more then a couple of seconds to think and assessment of the situation is made, a peaceful solution would occur.

How long does the U.S. government negotiate? It is time for another Ruby Ridge or Waco massacre. Kill whitey! !!

One would hope with more then a couple of seconds to think and assessment of the situation is made, a peaceful solution would occur.
So when you have a guy lying on the ground and you shoot him in the back multiple times you think there was no other way to deal with that? No time to think before the execution?

Heck we had a white guy shoot a cop with a real gun a few days ago in a other case of white guys gone bad and he isn't dead. Not a scratch on him. But a black child is dead for having a toy gun in a park. The stark differences in outcomes is an outrage.

How long does the U.S. government negotiate? It is time for another Ruby Ridge or Waco massacre. Kill whitey! !!
No more Wacos please. Cut them off. No more talking to the media. No one in or out. And wait them out. Hopefully no one dies here.

I'm pretty sure I got taken to task here. I guess I'm tired of seeing these right wing whackjobs treated with kid gloves while we gun down children and unarmed adults with no repercussions. Seems like the disconnect should be forcefully pointed out until the problem gets dealt with.

By the way huge fan.
If I were in charge of the enforcement/containment action against the occupiers of the building I would opt, I believe, for simple containment and exhaustion of those folks with bemused derision being my stance about them with the press. I would daily issue loud, unmistakable orders to lay down their weapons, to come out, and to cease their illegal trespass. I would do this with an eye to stacking charges based on each day the occupation endured. When they do finally come out, and give up, as would be more or less inevitable if we don't make their cause a cause celebre or if we don't make them martyrs, I would fall on them like a duck falls on a June bug. What I would strive to not do is to allow this sidelight in world events to paralyze decision-making on any other matter. They are insignificant, unless we make them significant.

The interesting question to me is in eventual charging of these folks whether they are charged with felonies which would prevent future gun ownership (That would be like cutting off their penises). Such a strategy would guarantee lengthy litigation and would, potentially, give them the forum they so desperately seek.

Rove! said:
PIK95 said:
chauncey said:
PIK95 said:
This is different from terrorists how?
You took the short bus didn't you?
If you take over a government building with machine guns you are a terrorist in this day in age. These guys are white. That's obviously slowing down the law for some reason.
Were the protesters in Ferguson and Baltimore "terrorists?"
Did they have guns drawn? Did they take over any buildings with guns drawn? That's a good place to start imo.

I'm a little surprised some liberals or progressives don't find the reconviction issue concerning.
And I'm a little surprised that conservatives are so opposed to it. It's chock full of conservative red meat:

- mandatory minimums (usually favored by conservatives)

- upholding a jury's verdict even if it seems morally wrong (usually favored by conservatives)

- judicial activism (usually opposed by conservatives)

- situational ethics (usually opposed by conservatives)

- honoring the rule of law (usually favored by conservatives)

And yet in this case a large number of conservatives have completely flip-flopped their positions. Where was the conservative outrage when drug users were getting 20 year sentences? Where was the conservative outrage in every single legal thread where liberals were calling for leniency in the face of strict interpretation of the law?

Not everything in life comes down to black & white/right & wrong. There is grey everywhere.

I'm pretty sure I got taken to task here. I guess I'm tired of seeing these right wing whackjobs treated with kid gloves while we gun down children and unarmed adults with no repercussions. Seems like the disconnect should be forcefully pointed out until the problem gets dealt with.By the way huge fan.
If I were in charge of the enforcement/containment action against the occupiers of the building I would opt, I believe, for simple containment and exhaustion of those folks with bemused derision being my stance about them with the press. I would daily issue loud, unmistakable orders to lay down their weapons, to come out, and to cease their illegal trespass. I would do this with an eye to staking charges based on each day the occupation endured. When they do finally come out, and give up, as would be more or less inevitable if we don't make their cause a cause celebre or if we don't make them martyrs, I would fall on them like a duck falls on a June bug. What I would strive to not do is to allow this sidelight in world events to paralyze decision-making on any other matter. They are insignificant, unless we make them significant. The interesting question to me is in eventual charging of these folks whether they are charged with felonies which would prevent future gun ownership (That would be like cutting off their penises). Such a strategy would guarantee lengthy litigation and would, potentially, give them the forum they so desperately seek.
Sounds like a good strategy to me. Hopefully you could get them to plead out avoiding the court drama.

I'm pretty sure I got taken to task here. I guess I'm tired of seeing these right wing whackjobs treated with kid gloves while we gun down children and unarmed adults with no repercussions. Seems like the disconnect should be forcefully pointed out until the problem gets dealt with.By the way huge fan.
If I were in charge of the enforcement/containment action against the occupiers of the building I would opt, I believe, for simple containment and exhaustion of those folks with bemused derision being my stance about them with the press. I would daily issue loud, unmistakable orders to lay down their weapons, to come out, and to cease their illegal trespass. I would do this with an eye to staking charges based on each day the occupation endured. When they do finally come out, and give up, as would be more or less inevitable if we don't make their cause a cause celebre or if we don't make them martyrs, I would fall on them like a duck falls on a June bug. What I would strive to not do is to allow this sidelight in world events to paralyze decision-making on any other matter. They are insignificant, unless we make them significant. The interesting question to me is in eventual charging of these folks whether they are charged with felonies which would prevent future gun ownership (That would be like cutting off their penises). Such a strategy would guarantee lengthy litigation and would, potentially, give them the forum they so desperately seek.
Sounds like a good strategy to me. Hopefully you could get them to plead out avoiding the court drama.
Folks like these need a platform more than they need oxygen. Sadly, as is too often the case, those with little intelligence or any point to make insist on making it the loudest, like toddlers or folks from Westboro Baptist.

No more Wacos please. Cut them off. No more talking to the media. No one in or out. And wait them out. Hopefully no one dies here.
I must have missed it. What exactly are their demands?
I believe they would like to return to a time that never was. I'm not sure how those demands would ever get met.

What seems equally odd about the jail thing is that a judge could just ignore mandatory sentencing. That kind of makes it not really mandatory.

I am not a huge fan of too much mandatory sentencing, but that is beside the point.
It was a conservative activist judge ignoring the law and imposing the sentence he saw fit.

I'm a little surprised some liberals or progressives don't find the reconviction issue concerning.
And I'm a little surprised that conservatives are so opposed to it. It's chock full of conservative red meat:

- mandatory minimums (usually favored by conservatives)

- upholding a jury's verdict even if it seems morally wrong (usually favored by conservatives)

- judicial activism (usually opposed by conservatives)

- situational ethics (usually opposed by conservatives)

- honoring the rule of law (usually favored by conservatives)

And yet in this case a large number of conservatives have completely flip-flopped their positions. Where was the conservative outrage when drug users were getting 20 year sentences? Where was the conservative outrage in every single legal thread where liberals were calling for leniency in the face of strict interpretation of the law?

Not everything in life comes down to black & white/right & wrong. There is grey everywhere.
I did make that point in my (edited) post. If this was a drug dealer who had gotten let out of jail after a judge failed to impose the mandatory minimum conservatives would probably be howling.

Users who are viewing this thread