Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
PlasmaDogPlasma

Oregon Militia Takeover - Ammon Bundy arrested

i am not saying turn the drones on them - ok i did say that, but it was a joke - but it just annoys me that they do this and we will probably sit back and say "enjoy your newly captured empty building" and eventually they will get tired and go back to quietly poaching deer

and i do think it is a dangerous path, one of these times things are going to get out of control.

The same can be said for a lot of protests. Some are treating this differently because they don't agree with these people politically. This isn't a "militia" any more than any other group of protesting citizens. They are armed, but that's not illegal. They haven't put anybody in harms way.

I find a lot of the BLM movement a non-issue, but I don't have a problem with their protests. As long as no one gets hurt anyway. We give a lot of slack to protests in general (as I think we should).

When you bring guns to a protest, you change the rules.

Maybe if they are illegal. It's not neccesarily illegal to be armed at a protest.

i am not saying turn the drones on them - ok i did say that, but it was a joke - but it just annoys me that they do this and we will probably sit back and say "enjoy your newly captured empty building" and eventually they will get tired and go back to quietly poaching deer

and i do think it is a dangerous path, one of these times things are going to get out of control.

The same can be said for a lot of protests. Some are treating this differently because they don't agree with these people politically. This isn't a "militia" any more than any other group of protesting citizens. They are armed, but that's not illegal. They haven't put anybody in harms way.

I find a lot of the BLM movement a non-issue, but I don't have a problem with their protests. As long as no one gets hurt anyway. We give a lot of slack to protests in general (as I think we should).

Maybe if they are illegal. It's not neccesarily illegal to be armed at a protest.

Uh, maybe it should be?

:lmao:

When the protesters are openly carrying large weapons, legal or not, it is different than most protests. An armed protest is inherently not peaceful.

Why? It's certainly more peaceful than throwing bricks at officers.

it is different because they are a self identified militia

they have armed sentries closing a road and in a watch tower keeping people at bay

they claim not to be there in protest but to plan on staying until the Federal government relinquishes its right to own land in their state

they claim to intend be there for years

UNLIKE occupy wall street there is 0 Law Enforcement presence. Police wandered among those protesters, police will not go near this place because there is a well armed group who have seized control and everyone is afraid it is going to turn into a shootout

you can say it is like any sit in, but it is not. not at all

Edited by B-Deep

Uh, maybe it should be?

I don't see why.

When the protesters are openly carrying large weapons, legal or not, it is different than most protests. An armed protest is inherently not peaceful.

there are no officers

they are afraid to go near the place

i'm guessing none of you or virtually none of you have ever been to Burns, Or.

to say its in the middle of nowhere is literally true. It's 3hrs from anything in any direction.

this is like me and some buddies taking over a campground in the middle of winter.

You bring up a good point, the day to day reality for these folks in the place you are describing is very different than day to day life for a lot of us in bigger cities. I'm not even joking, these folks probably feel a little protected by being int he middle of nowhere. Their America is much different than the one many of us decide to live in.

Uh, maybe it should be?

as an aside, these guys are probably violating a slew of federal gun control laws as it is.

You try too hard

It's not illegal to be armed as a general matter, but what they've done is clearly illegal so I'm not sure why that matters. They're criminals who are wasting federal resources and keeping people from doing their jobs, and they're forcing federal officials to eventually either risk their lives or allow them to continue indefinitely and thus encourage many more criminals to do the same.

Not having a problem with these idiots because they're "just protesters" is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, and I don't even have Eminence on ignore.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 1

it is different because they are a self identified militia

they have armed sentries closing a road and in a watch tower keeping people at bay

they claim not to be there in protest but to plan on staying until the Federal government relinquishes its right to own land in their state

they claim to intend be there for years

UNLIKE occupy wall street there is 0 Law Enforcement presence. Police wandered among those protesters, police will not go near this place because there is a well armed group who have seized control and everyone is afraid it is going to turn into a shootout

you can say it is like any sit in, but it is not. not at all

The early stages of OWS had no police presence. They did later because they were often in the middle of cities. Even then, most of that presence was outside.

Right now this is a peaceful protest. Maybe that will change. It hasn't yet.

Taking over a federal building armed with a gun is most definitely illegal.

There is a HUGE difference between a peaceful protest and what these guys are doing.

If they wanted it to be a "peaceful" protest, they shouldn't have brought guns. And they definitely shouldn't have called for people all over the country to come join them with their guns as well.

Maybe there's another way you can spin this favorably for the militia.

Uh, maybe it should be?

I don't see why.

As long as they are white, amirite?

It's not illegal to be armed as a general matter, but what they've done is clearly illegal so I'm not sure why that matters. They're criminals who are wasting federal resources and keeping people from doing their jobs, and they're forcing federal officials to eventually either risk their lives or allow them to continue indefinitely and thus encourage many more criminals to do the same.

Not having a problem with these idiots because they're "just protesters" is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board, and I don't even have Eminence on ignore.

:shrug:

A lot of protests are illegal. It's about as dumb as Occupy Wall Street.

Uh, maybe it should be?

I don't see why.

There's no reason to start with the racism.

Uh, maybe it should be?

I don't see why.

Productive comment, here.

if it i so peaceful i think the local and state authorities should just walk right up there

of course, as with inner city cops if anyone displays a gun in a threatening manner the cops should open fire in self defense

lets see just how peacful this is

Edited by B-Deep

Would you still consider it "peaceful" if they are ordered off of the land/out of the building and they refuse to do so?

Would you still consider it "peaceful" if they are ordered off of the land/out of the building and they refuse to do so?

listen

if snipers in a watch tower is peaceful, this is peaceful until blood is shed

Uh, maybe it should be?

I don't see why.

You mention brick throwing. Where'd that happen?

You'd be okay with Ferguson protesters packing heat so long as it was legal?

comeon. give me a break.

Actually it's only illegal, from a firearms perspective, if they take the weapons inside the building (Source : TITLE 18 > PART I CHAPTER 44 § 930) . Otherwise the firearms themselves are of no consequence in this example.

Edited by [icon]

if it i so peaceful i think the local and state authorities should just walk right up there

of course, as with inner city cops if anyone displays a gun in a threatening manner the cops should open fire in self defense

Or your previously mentioned drones. Why do you want to see these people killed so badly?

Actually it's only illegal, from a firearms perspective, if they take the weapons inside the building. Otherwise the firearms themselves are of no consequence in this example.

yes, of no consequence whatsoever.

wonder why they even bothered with them then.

Uh, maybe it should be?

I don't see why.

You mention brick throwing. Where'd that happen?

You'd be okay with Ferguson protesters packing heat so long as it was legal?

comeon. give me a break.

Locally? Oakland.

I wouldn't have a problem with any protestors being legally armed.

Or your previously mentioned drones. Why do you want to see these people killed so badly?

as i said that was a joke

i think these people should be thrown in jail when they finally leave, however.

i want to see them brought to justice, they are domestic terrorists who are attacking our nation. The land they have seized is Federal Land, they have no right to set up an armed perimeter and control it as their own. they have been told to leave and they say they plan to stay there "for years"

Damn... NCCommish is usually a pretty level headed dude, but he's sorta off his rocker in this thread :unsure:

You are ignoring years of criminal activity and killings laid at the feet of the militia movement. Including the murder of police officers. While the country wets themselves over refugees they ignore the danger next door. It's real and I am not off my rocker to point it out. Perhaps those ignoring it are the ones with a rocker problem.

Yes.

Now, if they want to release all US federal seizures of land, and/or restore all original promises made by the United states regarding that land, I am sure we can find the appropriate indigenous tribes for them to turn their land over to, ya know, once this peacefully ends with the US government admitting it has no right to own or control land within the states.

Damn... NCCommish is usually a pretty level headed dude, but he's sorta off his rocker in this thread :unsure:

You are ignoring years of criminal activity and killings laid at the feet of the militia movement. Including the murder of police officers. While the country wets themselves over refugees they ignore the danger next door. It's real and I am not off my rocker to point it out. Perhaps those ignoring it are the ones with a rocker problem.

I don't think civil rights era killings of police officers should be laid at the feet of the BLM movement, nor do I see why the actions of previous federal government protests should be laid at the feet of these people.

This is a peaceful protest right now. It's certainly illegal, but so are a lot of other peaceful protests. Until that changes I don't see why it should be treated as anything different.

Actually it's only illegal, from a firearms perspective, if they take the weapons inside the building. Otherwise the firearms themselves are of no consequence in this example.

They need an excuse/reason to exercise their constitutionally protected rights? Does this apply to all amendments, now? I carry a pistol when I go out downtown. That doesn't mean I'm looking for a gunfight.

Don't get me wrong... I have do agree some of these idiots are looking for a confrontation... but you can't deny the rights of Americans on a hunch.

As of now, I believe you've got them on trespass...maybe B&E? I have no doubts the FBI is working on a means to enforce that while minimizing the potential of things to escalate. Hopefully this is handled peacefully and those responsible are arrested and face appropriate criminal charges.

Edited by [icon]

i want to see them brought to justice, they are domestic terrorists who are attacking our nation. The land they have seized is Federal Land, they have no right to set up an armed perimeter and control it as their own. they have been told to leave and they say they plan to stay there "for years"

Terrorists?

Who are they terrorizing? The local fauna?

Actually it's only illegal, from a firearms perspective, if they take the weapons inside the building (Source : TITLE 18 > PART I CHAPTER 44 § 930) . Otherwise the firearms themselves are of no consequence in this example.

So what you're saying is that what they are doing is in fact illegal.

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
Seditious conspiracy

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

I think this is the militia's point. Land is land in their eyes. Who is the govt to say its the govt's land? They are occupying a building owned by "we the people" and paid for by their tax dollars.

Pretty sad that many Conservatives seem to be supporting these guys.

Taking over a federal building armed with guns and threatening violence if they are removed.

Doesn't get much more Anti-American than that.

Who is supporting them?

Lots of conservatives over at freerepublic:

"Hope we don't end up with another Branch Davidian massacre or Ruby Ridge assasination."

That won't happen. Other situations in other times. Since the recent Bundy stand-off, the American gun-owning populace will not allow it. The FEDs backed down because of trained snipers on Fedgov snipers and ground forces. It was the biggest win for Constitutional freedom loving folks of our time.

That's all it needs: Bring enough military/hunting trained snipers on site and what is the Fedgov going to do when they attempt to take your last god-given rights? Does anyone really think the National Guard soldier-wannabes really want to die and leave their children fatherless for some socialist political cause? It won't happen.

Keep buying guns and ammunition. The 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution says why. If you don't understand the simplistic phrase in that Amendment, look in the debates, papers, publications, diaries, phrases of our Founding Fathers why every citizen should have the right to defend themselves. IT WAS NOT ABOUT HUNTING, as the liberals like to say. It was about having the ability to overthrow a tyrannical government as King George III was imposing on the colonies, plus the right to defend yourself against evil.

Time to turn this Nation back to its original intent. Everyone thinks progress is always the way, but what has more progress done to the most benevolent, charitible, freedom fighting Union of the this rock? It has only decreased the original values that much of the World has copied for decades!

We need to begin again...

Bundy Ranch changed everything. ISIS know the US gov is a paper tiger and a house of cards. So do we.

Media calls these people terrorists, yet you have Black Fecal Lives Matter protesters taking over schools, and calling for cops to be murdered and that is considered “Democracy”

They need an excuse/reason to exercise their constitutionally protected rights? Does this apply to all amendments, now? I carry a pistol when I go out downtown. That doesn't mean I'm looking for a gunfight.

Don't get me wrong... I have do agree some of these idiots are looking for a confrontation... but you can't deny the rights of Americans on a hunch.

As of now, I believe you've got them on trespass...maybe B&E? I have no doubts the FBI is working on a means to enforce that while minimizing the potential of things to escalate. Hopefully this is handled peacefully and those responsible are arrested and face appropriate criminal charges.

and, of course, the federal firearms charges.

I don't think civil rights era killings of police officers should be laid at the feet of the BLM movement, nor do I see why the actions of previous federal government protests should be laid at the feet of these people.

This is a peaceful protest right now. It's certainly illegal, but so are a lot of other peaceful protests. Until that changes I don't see why it should be treated as anything different.

Yes all peaceful protests include threats to kill federal law enforcement and proclamations of being willing to die at the hands of those officials to spark a civil war. Just like Gandhi these guys.

You'd be cool with a protest in Memphis where the protesters are legally armed?

Terrorists?

you, me everyone in this country

they have seized our land as their own, set up armed sentries to restrict access, and state they will not leave until the federal government ceases to own or control land in their state

sounds like fort Sumter more than Occupy Wall Street

Which federal firearms charges?

Do we have images/evidence of them taking weapons inside the building? I ask because I genuinely don't know. If it's been posted, I've missed it.

So what you're saying is that what they are doing is in fact illegal.

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy
Seditious conspiracy

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

and they are doing it with the assistance of firearms, which ups the ante.

probably a bad example, i am sure some posters think Fort Sumter was a peaceful protest until the damned northerners tried to protect toe sovereignty of the United States

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been brought up as I've only skimmed the pages today but every time I'm reading quickly I see the Bundy Ranch as the Bunny Ranch and for a split second or two I wonder why a pimp and a bunch of two rate hookers are backing these folks

Do we have images/evidence of them taking weapons inside the building? I ask because I genuinely don't know. If it's been posted, I've missed it.

well if a watch tower is a building, yes

there's pictures

they have seized our land as their own,

This land is your land.

This land is my land.

You need to smoke a joint and chill. Damn

Yes all peaceful protests include threats to kill federal law enforcement and proclamations of being willing to die at the hands of those officials to spark a civil war. Just like Gandhi these guys.

They said they would defend themselves if attacked. Until that happens it's peaceful. I walk by protests every week. The crap people say is pretty outrageous. It doesn't mean they are going to follow through.

It's possible it won't end peacefully, but I don't see any reason to believe that right now.

commission of a federal crime (probably state too) = check

commission of a federal crime whilst using a firearm = check

It won't be that tough to charge them.

This land is your land.

This land is my land.

indeed it is

my government owns it, and I am not happy these folks have attacked my nation by setting up their own compound there

• Like 1

This land is your land.

This land is my land.

Woody Guthrie's corpse just vomited (so did I a little).

Terrorists?

they have seized our land as their own, set up armed sentries to restrict access, and state they will not leave until the federal government ceases to own or control land in their state

sounds like fort Sumter more than Occupy Wall Street

That's a load of horse####. I'm no more threatened by these guys than any other illegal protest. I was more impacted by the BLM protestors who shut the freeway down and tied themselves to mass transit vehicles.