What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2016 Philadelphia Eagles* - The year of Change (1 Viewer)

Deamon

Footballguy
The regular season is officially over and we are once again on the outside looking in.  Let's start off the new year with a fresh start.

First duty:  Finding a new HC

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Gase Scheduled Interviews:

Tuesday - Philadelphia

Wednesday - Cleveland

Thursday - Miami

Tuesday - Philadelphia

Wednesday - Cleveland

Thursday - Miami
Outside of the in-house guys is he the only one known to have scheduled and interview with us?
After posting I realized that pretty much all the other candidates will be in the playoffs.
Ya I think Hue and McDaniels and McDermott are really the ONLY current coordinators who will be in contention and all in playoffs.

It's weird though, I remember Dan Quinn was still playing in the playoffs with Seattle but Atlanta hired him like hours after they were done. I feel like discussions do happen even if it's not allowed.

Tuesday - Philadelphia

Wednesday - Cleveland

Thursday - Miami
Don't let him leave.
Let's just hope we still bring him in after tomorrows interview with Shurmur. Maybe tomorrow will be like "Hey Pat, we really like you and want you around. We're bringing Gase in tomorrow and plan to sign him. Will you stay as OC? Can you meet with him too?"

Rumours that if Gase gets a HC job, he'll be bringing Jim Bob Cooter with him as his OC.

Not sure how to feel about this. Really want Shurmur around to help keep Bradford.

Well ain't this some ####:

Jordan Matthews' 152 catches are 10th-most in NFL history by a player after two seasons.

12:52am - 4 Jan 16

He might be top 5 had he caught all those easy drops this season. ;)

Sam Bradford finishes 2015 with a 65.0% completion percentage. That's a new Eagles franchise record.

Amazing considering all the drops, and that he led the league in deep pass attempts the last 6 weeks.

Rumours that if Gase gets a HC job, he'll be bringing Jim Bob Cooter with him as his OC.

Not sure how to feel about this. Really want Shurmur around to help keep Bradford.
The choice of assistant coaches should absolutely be up to Gase or whoever the hire is, Bradford's bromance with Shurmur be damned. The last thing we need is the disunity in the coaching staff that would come from assistants being appointed by management, not the HC.

Whoever it is, if they coach well and Bradford plays well, they'll work it out.

Sam Bradford finishes 2015 with a 65.0% completion percentage. That's a new Eagles franchise record.

Amazing considering all the drops, and that he led the league in deep pass attempts the last 6 weeks.
He really did kick on in the second half of the year and I can't see a better option than franchising him. Not ready to completely commit yet, as both his health and consistency need to be demonstrated but if he continues to play at that level you'd take that for the 5 years he probably has left in his prime.

Some Eagles Salary Cap Thoughts

Per the Eagles page at overthecap.com, they currently have $133m allocated against a projected cap of around $154m for 2016. Given that I believe they should franchise Bradford, at a figure of just under $20m per at least one projection that means they will have to make room under the cap for any acquisitions.

Here's a few thoughts on players they could target. All the figures I'm going to quote don't use the post June 1 designation, because if they're going to swallow dead money, I'd rather get it out of the way in one year than spread it out.

Riley Cooper: No brainer here, $2.4m dead money but frees up $2.9m.

Brent Celek: He's been a great Eagle and I love what he's done, but $5m in cap savings with no dead money cost for a declining backup TE is another no brainer.

DeMeco Ryans: $1m dead money and $3.5m cap savings for a guy who's become a deep backup. No brainer #3.

Mark Sanchez: I think he's a good backup, but if you admit the team needs enough work to be unlikely to contend next year and roll with the risk of cheaper backups or 2 developmental QBs, the $3.5m in cap savings might allow the team to add somebody at another position.

Chris Maragos: $1.5m cap saving for a guy who doesn't shouldn't play on D.

Now a couple that might be unpopular.

Jason Peters: He's a shadow of his former self and is no better than competent now and has declined steeply over the last 2 years. Would save $6m with $3m in dead money. If the post June 1 tag was used with Peters, the saving goes to $8.3m with only $1m in dead money this year. The problem is the depth on this unit is so poor that there's no one on the roster that would be considered a potential replacement. Could be a post draft cut if they draft someone they think can play early. Might take some rough moments with a young player early, but that $$ might be used to bolster the interior OL, defensive backfield or pass rush. Probably not feasible to replace him with a FA player, the savings would be wiped out on anyone decent.

Darren Sproles: Can't argue with his contribution over the last 2 years, one of the best value trades ever but he might be a luxury they can't afford. $3.5m cap savings w/ $1m in dead money might be too much to pass up for a team which has ejected a lot of talented players over the last two offseasons and is fielding substandard starters in several positions.

If you went with the top group, that's a saving of $16.4m in space with no dead money for 2017. If the last two are added, there's an additional 9.5m in savings. If Peters' and Cooper's were cut with the post June 1 tag, $2m and $1.6m in additional savings could be brought forward with some of the dead money deferred until 2017.

Per the Eagles page at overthecap.com, they currently have $133m allocated against a projected cap of around $154m for 2016. Given that I believe they should franchise Bradford, at a figure of just under $20m per at least one projection that means they will have to make room under the cap for any acquisitions.

Here's a few thoughts on players they could target. All the figures I'm going to quote don't use the post June 1 designation, because if they're going to swallow dead money, I'd rather get it out of the way in one year than spread it out.

Brent Celek: He's been a great Eagle and I love what he's done, but $5m in cap savings with no dead money cost for a declining backup TE is another no brainer.

DeMeco Ryans: $1m dead money and $3.5m cap savings for a guy who's become a deep backup. No brainer #3.

Mark Sanchez: I think he's a good backup, but if you admit the team needs enough work to be unlikely to contend next year and roll with the risk of cheaper backups or 2 developmental QBs, the $3.5m in cap savings might allow the team to add somebody at another position.

Jason Peters: He's a shadow of his former self and is no better than competent now and has declined steeply over the last 2 years. Would save $6m with $3m in dead money. If the post June 1 tag was used with Peters, the saving goes to $8.3m with only $1m in dead money this year. The problem is the depth on this unit is so poor that there's no one on the roster that would be considered a potential replacement. Could be a post draft cut if they draft someone they think can play early. Might take some rough moments with a young player early, but that $$ might be used to bolster the interior OL, defensive backfield or pass rush. Probably not feasible to replace him with a FA player, the savings would be wiped out on anyone decent.

Darren Sproles: Can't argue with his contribution over the last 2 years, one of the best value trades ever but he might be a luxury they can't afford. $3.5m cap savings w/ $1m in dead money might be too much to pass up for a team which has ejected a lot of talented players over the last two offseasons and is fielding substandard starters in several positions.
Ya I'm fine with any of those 5 going. Though, I would hope maybe Ryans could stick around for less money. Having that depth was so nice, and so needed this year at the LB position.

Peters/Sproles I'd like to see stick around for one more year, but could see them leaving under a new HC. If we use Murray in a more traditional role next year, I'd be fine with the other 3rbs and no Sproles if we needed the money saved. WIth OL already being a huge issue though, I'd want to keep Peters though. Even if we draft OL, we'll still be not very strong/deep there and Peters would still help a ton (even though he's not near the pro bowl caliber he once was). A lot depends on how much space we really need though to tie up Sam or Cox or other players.

Good breakdown overall though. Good to have you back.

Beating the prior record holders, Sanchez and Foles. I think it had a little bit more to do with the offense being run and the dink and dunk stuff.

Tuesday - Philadelphia

Wednesday - Cleveland

Thursday - Miami
Outside of the in-house guys is he the only one known to have scheduled and interview with us?
After posting I realized that pretty much all the other candidates will be in the playoffs.
Ya I think Hue and McDaniels and McDermott are really the ONLY current coordinators who will be in contention and all in playoffs.It's weird though, I remember Dan Quinn was still playing in the playoffs with Seattle but Atlanta hired him like hours after they were done. I feel like discussions do happen even if it's not allowed.
You can talk if it's a bye week. So McDermott and McDaniels may have conversations if they wish.

If they are dead set on going after a tackle in the draft then letting Peters go makes sense. With our position being 13th, its hard to count on it though. He's probably here one more year.

If you went with the top group, that's a saving of $16.4m in space with no dead money for 2017. If the last two are added, there's an additional 9.5m in savings. If Peters' and Cooper's were cut with the post June 1 tag, $2m and $1.6m in additional savings could be brought forward with some of the dead money deferred until 2017.
I expect every player on this list to be gone. The only one that could be worth even close to his cap figure would be Sproles. I could see Sanchez being brought back while a developmental #3 is drafted. I really like Ryans and Celek but they are in decline. If you really honestly look at Peter's play, he was pretty bad. I know he was banged up, but he is a shadow of the player he was just two years ago. He aged really quickly. They have to move on from him, especially at that cap number. Lane will be the left tackle. They can address RT a lot cheaper than LT in free agency.

Outstanding post. Thank you for posting this!

Thanks Ash! Guys like you help make this the best team thread on the forearm.

I'd be very surprised if Lurie goes DC. This is a passing league and you have stay ahead of the curve. I do hope though the next HC can get a 4-3 DC who's star is on the rise.

Mighty Mice said:
I'd really prefer to bring in a defensive minded head coach to oversee the switch to a 4-3 and maximize Cox/Barwin/Graham/Curry/Hicks/Rowe et al. Let Shurmur run the O w/Bradford. They have the history/chemistry and with our RBs and Matthews/Ertz really we just need some offensive line help.

Whatever HC is hired is going to want say on OC/DC most likely but I hope they can manage to retain Shurmur as I think that means we will keep Bradford.
I like the idea of bringing in a defensive minded coach.

Could we see Shurmur retained? Could we see Duce promoted to OC?

I just really want to see Davis gone. Nothing about his system wow'd me. I didnt see him consistent in any aspect of the defense. In addition, I didnt see him make adjustments to holes in his players ability.

Also, count me in the court of someone who doesnt want Payton. Im not sure his system is all that great. He did well with great players, never really was impressive when he lost talent and players aged out. In addition, and feel free to judge this comment, I sincerely see "drug addict" in his eyes. When the whole pill addiction issue came up, it made complete sense just looking at him. If a coach brings a SB to Philly, I could care less about something like this, but up front I think it warrants a check in the con column.

* - moving to new thread

Sam has made a lot of mistakes, and I dont like his tendency to checkdown, but he has been a very accurate QB. His WRs have not helped him either. NelsonA has dropped no less than 3 TDs IIRC.

Ya I'm fine with any of those 5 going. Though, I would hope maybe Ryans could stick around for less money. Having that depth was so nice, and so needed this year at the LB position.

Peters/Sproles I'd like to see stick around for one more year, but could see them leaving under a new HC. If we use Murray in a more traditional role next year, I'd be fine with the other 3rbs and no Sproles if we needed the money saved. WIth OL already being a huge issue though, I'd want to keep Peters though. Even if we draft OL, we'll still be not very strong/deep there and Peters would still help a ton (even though he's not near the pro bowl caliber he once was). A lot depends on how much space we really need though to tie up Sam or Cox or other players.

Would it make sense to restructure Peters, Sproles and Ryans?

Our team takes a hit losing any of those productive players. Yes, past prime ... yes not the future, but we are a much worse team without them. Not having Peters and Sproles will impact Sam, or another QBs, ability to be successful next year.

Ya I'm fine with any of those 5 going. Though, I would hope maybe Ryans could stick around for less money. Having that depth was so nice, and so needed this year at the LB position. Peters/Sproles I'd like to see stick around for one more year, but could see them leaving under a new HC. If we use Murray in a more traditional role next year, I'd be fine with the other 3rbs and no Sproles if we needed the money saved. WIth OL already being a huge issue though, I'd want to keep Peters though. Even if we draft OL, we'll still be not very strong/deep there and Peters would still help a ton (even though he's not near the pro bowl caliber he once was). A lot depends on how much space we really need though to tie up Sam or Cox or other players.

Would it make sense to restructure Peters, Sproles and Ryans?Our team takes a hit losing any of those productive players. Yes, past prime ... yes not the future, but we are a much worse team without them. Not having Peters and Sproles will impact Sam, or another QBs, ability to be successful next year.
They can certainly ask. The player doesn't have to though.

I expect every player on this list to be gone. The only one that could be worth even close to his cap figure would be Sproles. I could see Sanchez being brought back while a developmental #3 is drafted. I really like Ryans and Celek but they are in decline. If you really honestly look at Peter's play, he was pretty bad. I know he was banged up, but he is a shadow of the player he was just two years ago. He aged really quickly. They have to move on from him, especially at that cap number. Lane will be the left tackle. They can address RT a lot cheaper than LT in free agency.
I hear you, and it makes sense.

However, in practice, does this really happen? Heck, we couldnt address Guard in FA this year which is a much easier position to acquire than Tackle

Ya I'm fine with any of those 5 going. Though, I would hope maybe Ryans could stick around for less money. Having that depth was so nice, and so needed this year at the LB position. Peters/Sproles I'd like to see stick around for one more year, but could see them leaving under a new HC. If we use Murray in a more traditional role next year, I'd be fine with the other 3rbs and no Sproles if we needed the money saved. WIth OL already being a huge issue though, I'd want to keep Peters though. Even if we draft OL, we'll still be not very strong/deep there and Peters would still help a ton (even though he's not near the pro bowl caliber he once was). A lot depends on how much space we really need though to tie up Sam or Cox or other players.

Would it make sense to restructure Peters, Sproles and Ryans?Our team takes a hit losing any of those productive players. Yes, past prime ... yes not the future, but we are a much worse team without them. Not having Peters and Sproles will impact Sam, or another QBs, ability to be successful next year.
What I mean is, will the restructing put us in a better cap position?

Knowing Banner and probably Roseman, it will be to trade or cut them.

Shanahan - dunno. Gut says no, but his stance of Cousins > Griffin is being proven right now...
He's been a pretty successful coach over his career. He was in an impossible spot with RG3. He knew that Cousins was better but was handcuffed because of upstairs pressure and all the picks the team traded for Griffin.

I thought McDaniels was a damned train wreck his first go around, but something still tells me he may end up being a good head coach

Maybe he's the Rodney Dangerfield of QB's?

Not a fan of Shanny but as some have said above he may have had his hands tied with Snyder's RG3 love.

The problem with Shanny is you generally don't hire one, you hire him and his son.

Perhaps Lil' Shanny stays in Atlanta, but I am not sure. I am not a big fan of Lil' Shanny

An article I read this morning had Duce as a candidate for the HC job. He has to be the Rooney Rule sacrificial lamb, right?

Shurmur today and Gase tomorrow will be very telling IMO. Might be Lurie/Roseman/Donahue's first 2 choices...and I don't think that they want to drag this out.

Already leaking they are talking contracts with Cox and Curry, prepping for a 4-3.

Peters adamant after the game he wants to be here and retire here, and wants to stay at LT. Have to talk money though IMO.

An article I read this morning had Duce as a candidate for the HC job. He has to be the Rooney Rule sacrificial lamb, right?
I would think so. They like him, and want to keep him (blocked his move to KC when Andy requested). But I don't think he's a serious candidate at this point.

-----

Howie and Jeff see Duce walking down the hallway at NovaCare:

"Hey Duce? Got a minute?"

Rooney rule satisfied. Gase tomorrow and now free to make him HC if they want.

As a funny side note about Sean Payton, he has a VERY minor Philly connection. He is second cousins (or so) with my wife's college roommate (who is from Scranton). He was a scab QB during the 1987 strike season for the Chicago Bears. He played QB against the Eagles (in Philadelphia) in the first game using the non-union players. In that game he was 5-11 for 51 yards passing and had one rush for 28 yards.

On a more related matter, I heard something on sports radio over the weekend that made sense regarding a reason to pick a 3-4 over a 4-3. It was something Chip said once that by going 3-4 you have more LBs on the team. This helps out your Special Teams be more athletic and have more splash plays as the personnel manning the STs is less big DE types and more speedy LBs. Maybe it isn't a coincidence that our STs have been so much better during the time Chip was here.

As for Shanahan rumors, would our RBs be a good fit for his zone blocking system?

What I mean is, will the restructing put us in a better cap position?

Knowing Banner and probably Roseman, it will be to trade or cut them.
Yes, restructuring definitely will help our cap issue. We should ask most of that list to restructure, but most will probably say no. It's so weird about Peters, some think he was really bad, yet he made the friggin pro bowl. He's obviously not probowl quality but I don't think he was awful. With Oline being our #1 weekness, you can't let a guy like that walk without at least TRYING to restructure.

Users who are viewing this thread