What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2016 Philadelphia Eagles* - The year of Change (1 Viewer)

Carson Wentz is 1/5 QBs in NFL history w/550+ pass attempts as a rookie (Luck, Carr, Sleeves, Peyton). Wentz has highest QB rating of the 5.

Neat little article on ESPN on ranking the non playoff teams that have a shot at playoffs next year.  We ranked #4.  Some interesting stats in there if anyone wants to give it a read.

The best team to miss the playoffs? That would be the Eagles, who finished fifth in DVOA despite a 6-9 record. Other metrics were similarly impressed, as Pro football Reference's simple rating system pegged the Eagles as the eighth-best team in the league, while their point differential suggests Philly should really be a little better than 8-7 right now -- a two-win swing. The Eagles have gone 1-6 in games decided by seven points or fewer, breaking their losing streak with a five-point win over the Giants last Thursday.

Advanced metrics are impressed by both whom the Eagles have beaten and the way in which they've won. Sure, the Eagles beat the Browns and Bears, which isn't notable. Their other four wins are over the Steelers, Vikings, Falcons and Giants, three of whom are 10-win teams. Those wins have come by an average of 14 points, the most notable a 34-3 romp of Pittsburgh in Week 3. Of those nine losses, eight have come against teams with a winning record, the Bengals being the lone exception.

Overall, Philadelphia has played the second-toughest schedule in football this season, a figure topped only by the Browns, against whom the universe is conspiring. That likely will be easier next year, although the Eagles will join the rest of their division in playing the AFC West (along with the far-friendlier NFC West). They'll also be better in close games, and rookie quarterback Carson Wentz should improve in his second season. The Eagles have the classic profile of a team likely to improve next season.

Well, not so fast. The Eagles have been very lucky with fumbles, recovering 28 of the 47 loose balls (59.6 percent) to hit the ground in their games this season. They've been incredible on special teams, where they lead the league in DVOA after finishing 10th a year ago and leading the league in 2014. Even if their special-teams play is still good next year, it's unlikely to be the league's best. The Philadelphia defense and special teams combined to produce five touchdowns this season, while their opposition has only scored one. The Eagles also were relatively healthy, although that idea looks worse if we consider Lane Johnson missed 10 games as a result of his second suspension for PEDs.

The Eagles don't really have the cap space we also associate with rebuilding teams, which could limit them as they pursue badly needed weapons for Wentz. There's the frustrating reality of their division, which has flipped from doormat to elite overnight. The Cowboys are likely to decline some in 2016, but they'll still be very good. The Giants' defense isn't going anywhere and Washington is ninth in DVOA. There's a lot to like with the Eagles, but their path to the 2017 postseason isn't quite as clear as it seems.

Was literally coming here to post this EXACT same line. No BS. 
haha awesome. 

I'm a little curious why Tony isn't playing though.  Figured they'd want to give him a bit of game experience in case they need him in playoffs.  But I guess it could only really hurt his trade value if he got hurt/underperformed.

haha awesome. 

I'm a little curious why Tony isn't playing though.  Figured they'd want to give him a bit of game experience in case they need him in playoffs.  But I guess it could only really hurt his trade value if he got hurt/underperformed.
Makes sense on the surface but then you consider 1) he'd be behind backup OLinemen, and 2) Jordan "Bonebreaker" Hicks is lurking.  Starting Sanchez is a wise move.

haha awesome. 

If tony doesn't have game experience at this point he needs to be out of the league. They are fully intending to trade him in the offseason. Would be ridiculous to trot him out here in Philly, a place he's had season ending injuries several times in the past few years, and get hurt before he can go somewhere else.

Insein said:
If tony doesn't have game experience at this point he needs to be out of the league. They are fully intending to trade him in the offseason. Would be ridiculous to trot him out here in Philly, a place he's had season ending injuries several times in the past few years, and get hurt before he can go somewhere else.
Sounds like he's going to be playing against us now..

Probably a smart idea. 13 years in the league at his size is an amazing feat. To be as productive as he was is just astounding.
Freakin beast! Love the guy, and dreaded ever playing against him. What he's done at his size is not appreciated enough.

Freakin beast! Love the guy, and dreaded ever playing against him. What he's done at his size is not appreciated enough.
Not many players in the history of this league can say they were as big a threat to the defense in their final year as they were when they came in. DCs still have to gameplan to stop him at 33.

Not many players in the history of this league can say they were as big a threat to the defense in their final year as they were when they came in. DCs still have to gameplan to stop him at 33.
Where does he stand all time in all purpose yards? He's like 6th right? And everyone around him is HOF. Probably won't happen but few players have ever been like him (aside from his diminutive stature).

Anybody with a heart loved this guy even when he was with SD and NO. When he came here, it was the most happy I was about a free agent other than maybe TO. What a great talent and a class act to boot!

I can't say I'm surprised that the first mention of it on this board was in this thread and not the 49ers one.

Chip comes with a lot of extras -- added infrastructure and training costs, reduced flexibility in player acquisition because of his demands for culture and scheme fits, etc. -- and NFL owners have decided he's not worth it.

Here's the best thing though. Scroll down twitter and look at all the Eagles beats making fun of the 9ers, yet their dumb ashes want us to to the same and fire another coach in a year. 

The revisionist history is strong in this town. Dude on with Westbrook and Davon right now is saying the Eagles are barely ahead of San Fran and wasted a season this year by not getting talent around Carson. That we should have kept Demarco. I guarantee he was one of the people calling Demarco a quitter last year and that he made business decisions. 

People just want to complain. If Howie was gone and Doug was gone and Gruden walked in through the door to run the show, how many days before they'd want him fired?

When we get talent in here at the skill positions (WR, RB, CB) this team will go further.
Where does O-Line rank in that list? Just the few Eagles games I have watched this year, it seems like something that needs to be addressed as well.

Where does O-Line rank in that list? Just the few Eagles games I have watched this year, it seems like something that needs to be addressed as well.
Oline was decimated by injuries and a 10 game suspension for Johnson.  Seamalu and Vaitai will be good going forward,  Still need to draft guys cause you always need depth but when your down to Barbre at RT, you ain't doing much.  

They need help but have also had a lot of injuries plus their best lineman was suspended for 10 games.  They seem to have found at least 1 decent player in the draft (vaitai) and maybe another (semuolo)

Next year has to be CB round 1 WR round 2. 
I think you're BPA at WR/CB/OL positions....and then draft for CB and OL depth in the remaining rounds with quality RB pick up in the mid-later rounds.  

I need them to take small contract chances on vetern WRs that can catch the ball.  Find me their Anquan Boldin/Mike Wallace/Steve Smith.  I don't need an Alshon and a max contract.  I just need a professional, veteran WR who knows how to run routes and hold onto the ball.  

Do we keep Chase next year?
Probably save some cap space if they got rid of him.  I can see Howie selling it to Doug cause you know that was a favor to Doug all the way. 

Hmmm nevermind.  Looked at overthecap.  He would be $7m in dead money if cut.  Only a $1m savings. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as cap savings looks like Mathews and Barwin are in the crosshairs.  Surprised we are at the bottom for cap space almost with Bradford gone. 

Trying to figure out our pick possibilities .... highest we can get looks to be 13th, and lowest around 17th.  Gonna be a lot of 8 win teams... that minny win today costed us quite a few spots.

We need to cheer for Tampa, Tennessee, Indy, Denver, and New Orleans.

Trying to figure out our pick possibilities .... highest we can get looks to be 13th, and lowest around 17th.  Gonna be a lot of 8 win teams... that minny win today costed us quite a few spots.

We need to cheer for Tampa, Tennessee, Indy, Denver, and New Orleans.
Good start... tampa/ten/indy all win.  Don't think New Orleans will win, but Denver win would be nice and could move us up a spot (depending on tie breakers which I didn't look into)

EDT maybe not tampa haha

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest when we traded Bradford I didn't think we would sniff close to 7wins with a rookie QB that didn't take starter reps in off and preseason.  All things considered I think this season went better than we could hope for since the QB we traded a lot for appears to be a franchise QB and has a year under his belt and looked pretty good. Add in that we stole a 1st for Bradford I'm excited for the future and finally feels like we have direction for the first time since McNabb declined. Let's build around Wentz and get some DB help and hopefully a playoff run next year. 

Lane Johnson after game:  "I felt I played pretty good out there today. I wish I could have played all season.  I feel like we'd be playing next week and in the playoffs if I hadn't been suspended"

Looks like we will be picking 14th or 15th depending on what tie breaker will be with Colts as it looks like SOS will be the same. Pick we traded is the 12th. I'll take it.  

Nice to see Ertz keeping with the tradition of being awesome in meaningless games. 
I will give credit where it's due though. Since that "block" in the Cincy game he has been MUCH more physical after the catch. He has actually been lowering his head and today using a stiff arm to throw people aside a few times. That is something he has to continue to build on going forward to take that next step. 

Users who are viewing this thread