What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2016 Philadelphia Eagles* - The year of Change (1 Viewer)

Jon Gruden is interested in coaching the Eagles, according to Paul Domowitch. The Daily News columnist also said Doug Pederson was Jeffrey Lurie’s leading candidate among NFL assistant coaches before the search began. Here’s an excerpt from the story:

"Gruden is doing his biennial return-to-coaching tire-kicking. Whether he’s serious this time or just needs his ego massaged still is unclear.

But a league source told the Daily News that he has informed Lurie, through an intermediary, that he is interested in the Eagles' head-coaching job.

The source said that while Lurie likes and respects Gruden, who was the Eagles' offensive coordinator in 1997-98, he has reservations about the ESPN Monday Night Football analyst's ability/willingness to play nice with Roseman, who has returned to a seat of personnel power now that Chip Kelly is gone."
Negative, Ghost Rider.

Gruden is so overrated I don't know where to start. Doesn't teach young players, the closest he came to developing a QB was Rich Gannon's late career surge in Oakland and his teams were always full of veterans on their last legs. Won his Superbowl on Tony Dungy's fumes and consistently put a mediocre (or worse) Offense on the field in Tampa even though he had the help of a perennial Top 5 D.

Was a good X & O guy, some of my first understanding of scheming matchups by motion & formation came from watching Gruden work Ricky Watters into coverage by slow LBs in the passing game but still wouldn't crack my Top 30 in coaching options right now.
Agreed. Want nothing to do with Gruden. I suspect every so often his agent or PR guy leaks something like this. Use the media to stay in the coaching conversation. His last few years in TB and long absence gives pause. And, FWIW, he adamantly denied it anyways.

Pederson this Sunday. Behind the 'smoke and mirrors' it looks like Shurmur, Gase, and Pederson are all receiving strong looks from Philadelphia. Once all 3 have been through interview round 1, we'll see what moves they make.

I think things pick up steam next week.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say Pederson is the pick. It's not sexy but he's everything Lurie is looking for this go around.

I would think gruden being away from coaching and seeing the best the league has to offer the past few years has helped his perspective. How could it not? I would chance him over these guys with zero HC exp

Daily News:

"While the Eagles’ new head coach likely will be free to hire all of his own assistants, I’m told four of Chip Kelly’s assistants will be recommended by Lurie and Howie Roseman as possible "keeps’’ to the new coach: special teams coordinator Dave Fipp, running backs coach Duce Staley, defensive backs coach Cory Undlin and offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland."

Daily News:

"While the Eagles new head coach likely will be free to hire all of his own assistants, Im told four of Chip Kellys assistants will be recommended by Lurie and Howie Roseman as possible "keeps to the new coach: special teams coordinator Dave Fipp, running backs coach Duce Staley, defensive backs coach Cory Undlin and offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland."
Who's missing? Billy single coverage davis

Daily News:

"While the Eagles’ new head coach likely will be free to hire all of his own assistants, I’m told four of Chip Kelly’s assistants will be recommended by Lurie and Howie Roseman as possible "keeps’’ to the new coach: special teams coordinator Dave Fipp, running backs coach Duce Staley, defensive backs coach Cory Undlin and offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland."
I'm good with those 4. Especially Stoutland - I thought our O-line gelled more and more as the season went on.

Daily News:

"While the Eagles new head coach likely will be free to hire all of his own assistants, Im told four of Chip Kellys assistants will be recommended by Lurie and Howie Roseman as possible "keeps to the new coach: special teams coordinator Dave Fipp, running backs coach Duce Staley, defensive backs coach Cory Undlin and offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland."
Undlin might even be a DC candidate. Gase should be familiar with him.

Daily News:

No Shurmur either ... Probably too much to ask a new HC to use an existing coordinator.

Daily News:

No Shurmur either ... Probably too much to ask a new HC to use an existing coordinator.
Since they interviewed Shurmur, they can't really recommend keeping Shurmur for OC without saying that he is not in the running for Head Coach.

I would think a new coach would give the courtesy interview to appease his new boss but otherwise he's going to bring his own people in.

I would think a new coach would give the courtesy interview to appease his new boss but otherwise he's going to bring his own people in.
Which is totally fair. Let's be honest, I don't think any of the existing staff have done anything good enough to just automatically keep their job

So apparently the Gruden story was basically made up by Domowitz. Eskin verified with Jon Gruden himself that Gruden said he hasn't expressed any interest in coaching any team.

Domowitz article (which has a back page headline of "Welcome Back Chucky?") Even states we don't know for certain if Gruden is interested or is just looking to have his ego stroked.

So yea, Gruden is not a candidate.

So apparently the Gruden story was basically made up by Domowitz. Eskin verified with Jon Gruden himself that Gruden said he hasn't expressed any interest in coaching any team.

Domowitz article (which has a back page headline of "Welcome Back Chucky?") Even states we don't know for certain if Gruden is interested or is just looking to have his ego stroked.

What a bunch of bs. Should not be able to write junk like that

What a bunch of bs. Should not be able to write junk like that
Exactly what I was complaining about last night re: the Gruden BS and the Gase 2nd interview. Accuracy of social media reports is atrocious. No accountability, just a rush to break a story first...and often, it's made up or incorrect. Agents fueling agendas and a quick hurry to give a 'hot take.'

ETA: LOL I sound old, but I miss when news was 'reliable.' Get off my lawn!

Last edited by a moderator:
Missinelli still did an entire show on who wants Gruden to come here and the benefits of it. Ridiculous.

At least Innes mocked the whole thing. He even started his own rumor that league sources state that Lovie Smith is in town this week for an interview and the Eagles don't want to let him leave. So if you hear that anywhere, have a good chuckle.

Gase sounds like a lock for Miami. That sucks. Really think we could be missing out on the next great coach here. Wish we would have done more to not let him get away. It's one thing for Lurie to play it safe and not rush anything like he did with Chip, but there's also that risk that you could lose the guy.

Hopefully those reports are BS or at least cause Lurie to panic and bring him in again. With Hue to San Fran heating up, I won't be thrilled with pretty much Pederson by default.

I don't pay attention to any reports about this stuff. Most of it is disinformation put out by agents to drive up demand or by teams to drive down demand.

We'd really be onboard with Coughlin as the coach when we've seen his type of time management errors and laughed at how many mistakes he's made with the Giants over the years?

Yea he got 2 super bowls in between a lot of bad football.

We'd really be onboard with Coughlin as the coach when we've seen his type of time management errors and laughed at how many mistakes he's made with the Giants over the years?

Thank you, I was just about to post something similar. I don't think I could watch that confused, angry look on his face all season long.

Looks like Gase is going to Miami. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000619758/article/dolphins-expected-to-offer-adam-gase-coaching-job

"I'm pleased to introduce the new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, Doug Pederson!"

It's coming.
Ever since I heard his name floated I kind of knew in the back of my mind. I remember last week Didinger and Macnow scoffing at a caller who brought up Pederson as a candidate.

"I'm pleased to introduce the new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, Doug Pederson!"

It's coming.
Ever since I heard his name floated I kind of knew in the back of my mind. I remember last week Didinger and Macnow scoffing at a caller who brought up Pederson as a candidate.
Hope not
Who's left? I don't think they want to wait for the playoffs to be over.Doug will probably be available in 2 weeks.

Couglin has made some blunders and he's fun to make fun of from his expressions on the sideline but nothing he has ever done has been as bad as what reid did in the final years or what chip did this season. He wold be an improvement over what we have had imo

I'd take Coughlin in a heartbeat over Gase. Just to see him flip out would be worth it. But seriously, I'll pass on this latest flavor of " genius" of the week.

Was hoping you all would hire Gase. Hope for the best but its the same spit all over again. Ross the owner wanted gase, Mike Tannenbaum the guy he hired to run things wanted Doug Marrone and was very impressed with him plus he has beaten Miami with no QB and was doing well in Buffalo, has a total grasp of the AFC East...nope we can't go get that guy.

If you all land Tom Coughlin consider yourself lucky IMO.

You all did the flavor of the month in Chip Kelly. Again good luck to you all and I apologize if I ruffled the feathers when Kelly was fired but you all need some thicker feathers :P

Was it him or Eli? You can blame him for putting Eli in those positions but he has faith in his QB. The one earlier this year when Eli threw it away instead of sliding, Coughlin seemed perplexed at Eli.

Coughlin at least runs a functional organization. If they hired him, I'd be more concerned about coordinators. Well that and the fact that Roseman has run everyone he has ever worked with out of town.

Been wanting Hue Jackson, but if I had to bet money I think we get Pederson. Good with both.

Didn't want Gase. REALLY don't want Coughlin.

We will all see if Jeff was right in 2-3 years in any event.

I can picture the eagles season already, RG3 fumbling hand-offs to Murray (who is running the wrong play and direction) while Couglin is on the sideline doing his confused old man face with hands on his hips. I'd say its the darkest timeline but at least you got that 1st and 2nd from the 49ers for Bradford...

I can picture the eagles season already, RG3 fumbling hand-offs to Murray (who is running the wrong play and direction) while Couglin is on the sideline doing his confused old man face with hands on his hips. I'd say its the darkest timeline but at least you got that 1st and 2nd from the 49ers for Bradford...
24 hours til you are back fighting for last place....embrace these 24 hours. You only get it once every 8 years or so.

24 hours til you are back fighting for last place....embrace these 24 hours. You only get it once every 8 years or so.
:obc:

You would think the Deadskins have has back to back 12 win seasons as big of D bags as they act like with 1 average season.

No Couglin please. I know he has 2 rings but the dude is ancient and wasn't the knock on Chip he doesn't relate to players? Imagine gramps.

Yeah, never saw so many Red Skins fans around.

But food for thought, Coughlin knows how to manage a locker room. Something that Pederson has never had to do. And from the sounds of it, sounds like this team needs someone who walks in with instant credibility. Sounds like all TC's former players liked him. At least Hue Jackson has previous head coaching experience.

But also, Coughlin has dealt with equal media scrutiny. The Philly media almost becomes a self fulfilling prophecy with coaches. Pederson does have experience with the Philly media but obviously the scrutiny would be turned up on him.

Yeah, never saw so many Red Skins fans around.

But food for thought, Coughlin knows how to manage a locker room. Something that Pederson has never had to do. And from the sounds of it, sounds like this team needs someone who walks in with instant credibility. Sounds like all TC's former players liked him. At least Hue Jackson has previous head coaching experience.

But also, Coughlin has dealt with equal media scrutiny. The Philly media almost becomes a self fulfilling prophecy with coaches. Pederson does have experience with the Philly media but obviously the scrutiny would be turned up on him.
All good points, just wonder with Couglin what's the max you get out of him 3 more years? He's also known for being a hard ### that has adjusted some but usually when you make a change you go to opposite approach.

And between Chip and Reid have we not seen worse management? All coaches make bad decisions. Not all have 2 SB's though. Whether get the SB Tom is a different discussion but this team needs a guy with clout and discipline

Coughlin has his 'plusses' to be sure. Experience, especially in the NFC East, is likely to biggest. He would command respect from the players and bring organization to the locker room. He would get good assistants. The press in Philly wouldn't be too much for him.

But IMO I'd love to find a 'long term' guy, much like Reid, who was here for a decade plus. Coughlin just isn't that guy. Unless he brings in his OC/DC with the plan on 'grooming' him to be the guy after he's gone (like Parcells tried to do with Belichick with the NYJ, until BB changed his mind...).

Pederson has done a great job with Alex Smith and the offense in general. Andy has thought great things of him as a future coach since Pederson was in GB as a player. Wouldn't mind giving him a look, and they will be interviewing him tomorrow win or lose. The concern here is how much of the KC offense and Alex Smith's success is Andy? And, of course, no HC experience.

I wish they would give a look at Hue Jackson. Apparently he is meeting with Cleveland and SF this week. Ilike what Jacksom did as RB coach in WAS (Stephen Davis career years), WR coach in CIN (Chad and TJ career years), OAK OC (DMCFadden career year) and OAK HC (only non-losing season in last 13 years). I think he got a raw deal in Oakland, all things considered, after Al Davis died. Took a lot of crap for an 'uneven trade' giving up a 1+2 for Palmer after his starting QB (Jason Campbell) broke his collarbone. Several Oakland players (especially Carson Palmer) stated afterwards that the Raiders messed up, they were 'going to be good' the next year and going forward, and the other teams in the division were glad the new owner brought in a whole new staff from GM to equipment guys. Marvin Lewis took him back (so obviously no bad blood leaving/returning to CIN), all his players speak highly of him both as a HC and an OC/position coach, and he's been excellent again in CIN, now working as the OC getting the most out of Andy Dalton.

This week will be interesting. I think Pederson could be good. I think Jackson will be good, but likely somewhere else. Coughlin seems like a 'short term' fix due to age. I don't know who else, besides Shurmur, I could see Lurie pulling the trigger on. They cancelled the interview with Malone, so must not be someone they want . Duce can't be the guy in 2016 IMO. Any legs on McAdoo, NYG OC, they met with yesterday?

Hey, let's bash Chip some more:

New Philadelphia mayor Jim Kenney explained this week why he didn't mind seeing Chip Kelly get the boot, writes CBS 3's Andrew Porter.

“I didn’t like him,” Kenney told Angelo Cataldi and the 94WIP Morning Show on Wednesday. “There’s a saying that says, you’ll forget what people say and you’ll forget what people do, but you never forget how people make you feel. And I live in Olde City and three years ago, it was a Sunday night [October 13th, 2013] about ten o’clock. Eagles had played [the] Tampa Bay [buccaneers] away and they were losing most of the game and they came back and won. And I walked across the street into this little grocery store to get some milk or whatever and Chip, he was living in the neighborhood at the time. And the only two people in the store was he and I, and the owner.
“And I said, ‘Hey coach great game.’
“And he turned away and never said a word and walked out the door. And as he walked out the door, I said, ‘
Andy Reid

would have said thank

you
.’ It was that kind of attitude and that stuck with me. And I said to myself, if he’s a great coach I’ll overlook that because Bill Belichick isn’t exactly the friendliest guy either, but they win. And when he didn’t win and with that personality, I was like, you know what? I’m done with it.”
:lmao:

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2016/01/09/weekend-reading-why-the-mayor-quit-on-chip/#WWgdMerYbZVO59Xd.99

Kenney is a good egg. We will see how does as mayor but I've had the privilege of spending some time with him and totally believe that story.

If they hire Coughlin they'll be doing this all over again in another 3 years. I don't want that.
Agreed, which is why the caveat 'Unless he brings in his OC/DC with the plan on 'grooming' him to be the guy after he's gone' applies IMO. We don't need a short-term coach.

Incidentally, the rumor going around NFL sources/twitter is that if they hire Coughlin he may want to bring in his NYG OC McAdoo as the 'coach in waiting.' Which I guess would make sense. Saw Parcells do this with the Jets.

Would feel odd to hire the NYG staff.

If they hire Coughlin they'll be doing this all over again in another 3 years. I don't want that.
Agreed, which is why the caveat 'Unless he brings in his OC/DC with the plan on 'grooming' him to be the guy after he's gone' applies IMO. We don't need a short-term coach.

Incidentally, the rumor going around NFL sources/twitter is that if they hire Coughlin he may want to bring in his NYG OC McAdoo as the 'coach in waiting.' Which I guess would make sense. Saw Parcells do this with the Jets.

Would feel odd to hire the NYG staff.
Do we really want them, they had the talent to win the division going away once Romo was out and they completely tanked? Sounds familiar.

Users who are viewing this thread