What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2016 Philadelphia Eagles* - The year of Change (1 Viewer)

If they hire Coughlin they'll be doing this all over again in another 3 years. I don't want that.
Agreed, which is why the caveat 'Unless he brings in his OC/DC with the plan on 'grooming' him to be the guy after he's gone' applies IMO. We don't need a short-term coach.Incidentally, the rumor going around NFL sources/twitter is that if they hire Coughlin he may want to bring in his NYG OC McAdoo as the 'coach in waiting.' Which I guess would make sense. Saw Parcells do this with the Jets.

Would feel odd to hire the NYG staff.
I don't know. Why wouldn't McAdoo be ready now? What's 2-3 more years of "training" going to do? Just seems like a bad plan.

If they hire Coughlin they'll be doing this all over again in another 3 years. I don't want that.
Agreed, which is why the caveat 'Unless he brings in his OC/DC with the plan on 'grooming' him to be the guy after he's gone' applies IMO. We don't need a short-term coach.Incidentally, the rumor going around NFL sources/twitter is that if they hire Coughlin he may want to bring in his NYG OC McAdoo as the 'coach in waiting.' Which I guess would make sense. Saw Parcells do this with the Jets.

Do we really want them, they had the talent to win the division going away once Romo was out and they completely tanked? Sounds familiar.
Most players on IR this year I think. Defense was a shambles. I'd take Coughlin and mcadoo. Still would like Jackson to get a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Gase hired by Miami and the Eagles apparently not interested in McDermott, Hue Jackson would be my first choice of what's left.

Agreed, which is why the caveat 'Unless he brings in his OC/DC with the plan on 'grooming' him to be the guy after he's gone' applies IMO. We don't need a short-term coach.

Incidentally, the rumor going around NFL sources/twitter is that if they hire Coughlin he may want to bring in his NYG OC McAdoo as the 'coach in waiting.' Which I guess would make sense. Saw Parcells do this with the Jets.

Do we really want them, they had the talent to win the division going away once Romo was out and they completely tanked? Sounds familiar.
IMO, no. Uninspiring list of candidates. I would be ok with Pederson (who I think is who we get. The only other guy I think has a shot is Shurmur...but I'm thinking its gonna be Pederson). I would like Hue, but it's not gonna happen.

So far: Duce, Shurmur, Gase, McAdoo. Not in love with any of these choices. Obviously, cross Gase off in any event.

Scheduled or Requested: Pederson, Coughlin, Teryl Austin, Paul Guenther. Meh.

No apparent interest: Hue Jackson, Doug Marone, McDermott, Patricia, McDaniels, anyone else.

I also wouldn't mind hue jackson. I thought he looked pretty good in Oakland with what they had and thought they were crazy to get rid of him

Most players on IR this year I think. Defense was a shambles. I'd take Coughlin and mcadoo. Still would like Jackson to get a look.
But even going back to their 1st Dallas game and the game management at the end....no thanks. His good years are done.

I also wouldn't mind hue jackson. I thought he looked pretty good in Oakland with what they had and thought they were crazy to get rid of him
He just comes across as an arrogant jerk. Sounds like Lurie wants a nice guy this time around. Someone awhile back posted a lot of insight as a Jackson homer in the past, none of it too flattering.

He just comes across as an arrogant jerk. Sounds like Lurie wants a nice guy this time around. Someone awhile back posted a lot of insight as a Jackson homer in the past, none of it too flattering.
Didn't know that. We don't want that

Yeah, lots of takes on Hue Jackson. Carson Palmer and a few other players speak of how great he was in Oakland, how they felt they were really building to something. I posted that article/interview re: Jackson a few days ago.

ETA: Article on Hue's firing, his personality, including some opinions on him from TJ Housh, Seymour, etc. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jackson-says-raiders-owner-made-011200648--nfl.html

In any event, irrelevant. Philly has made no effort to contact him. Not on the list. He's meeting SF this week and is the clear frontrunner for that job.

Our 'serious' candidates appear to be Pederson, Shurmur and Coughlin. FML. I'll take Pederson of those choices.

My biggest concern with Peterson would be his lack of playcalling. I don't know that he's ever done it and that's a pretty big risk IMO.

I'll be interested to hear what comes of the Guenther interview as well.

My biggest concern with Peterson would be his lack of playcalling. I don't know that he's ever done it and that's a pretty big risk IMO.

I'll be interested to hear what comes of the Guenther interview as well.
Doesn't matter much if he has his OC do it. He might be the scheme guy that installs the strategy and lets others call the plays.

From BGN: http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/1/9/10740918/nfl-coaching-rumors-hue-jackson-eagles-bengals-offensive-coordinator-raiders-49ers

The Philadelphia Eagles head coaching search has featured a lot of names so far, both expected and unexpected. But one of the most popular names hasn't come up yet, and it's possible it never will. During the Joe DeCamara show on 97.5 The Fanatic on Friday night, ESPN insider Adam Caplan revealed Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson is not being considered by Philadelphia.

"Hue Jackson is not on the Eagles’ list. I don’t know why. If he doesn’t get an interview from the Eagles, they’re making a mistake. I’ve watched this guy work. He commands respect. He has such command of players."
"Joe Flacco told me a story. I remember having a long talk with coaches he had in his career. Not only was [Hue] one the favorite coaches that he’s had, he’s such a good teacher, and he handled him so well. Very direct. That’s what the [Eagles] lacked with Chip [Kelly]. Directness. He didn’t get it."

The Eagles reportedly haven't requested an interview with Jackson, who is potentially a favorite to land the San Francisco 49ers job. The lack of an interview request is not related to the fact that the Bengals play this weekend because the Eagles reportedly did request an interview with Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther.

Philadelphia's lack of interest in Jackson is disappointing. He's one of the most intriguing options available. He has a history of getting the most out of his offensive players.

One could theorize the Eagles' lack of interest in Jackson is due to Howie Roseman and Philadelphia's new collaborative personnel power structure. When Jackson was with the Raiders, he became the unofficial acting general manager after Al Davis died. He also seemingly pushed for even more power before ultimately getting fired after just one season with Oakland.

It seems like the Eagles might be trying to hire a new head coach who doesn't rock the boat the way Chip Kelly did when he pushed for full control over personnel. That sentiment partially explains why even-tempered personalities like Pat Shurmur and Doug Pederson have reportedly emerged as top candidates.

In other words, the Eagles might be limiting their coaching pool in fear of a new candidate not getting along with Roseman. This is just one of the reasons why Roseman still being with the Eagles is very, very troubling.

More Howie stuff from 'Inside the Iggles': http://insidetheiggles.com/2016/01/09/howie-roseman-is-absolutely-destroying-the-philadelphia-eagles/

Howie Roseman is Absolutely Destroying the Philadelphia Eagles

"Howie Roseman is a power-hungry tyrant and is killing the Philadelphia Eagles."

The Philadelphia Eagles‘ attempt to hire Adam Gase as their next head coach was a swing and a miss and Howie Roseman, Philadelphia’s executive vice president of football operations, may be to thank for it.

After the firing of Chip Kelly, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie stated that the search for a new head coach would be run by himself, team president Don Smolenski and Roseman. However, instead of searching for the right guy for the job, the Eagles are searching for whoever is more likely to play nice with Roseman, which is a disastrous way to run a search for a new head coach.

It’s unclear just how much power Gase would have wanted with the Eagles, but Roseman is power-hungry and the fact that he is helping run the Eagles’ search for a new head coach is troubling. Because of Roseman, the Eagles could be focusing their search on a smaller pool of candidates who will be willing to work with him, which, frankly, may not be a lot of people. Roseman has been regarded as a bit a supremely polarizing figure in the Eagles’ front office and that is starting to effect their head coaching search.

Hue Jackson, who I am a big supporter of, is one of the better coaching candidates on the market, but it’s been reported that the Eagles have no interest in even bringing him in for an interview. When Jackson was the head coach for the Oakland Raiders in 2011, he had a fair amount of a voice in terms of personnel, which Roseman does not want the head coach to have, especially after the Chip Kelly fiasco.

Now, the Eagles may be forced to settle for a less-than-stellar candidate like Pat Shurmur, Doug Pederson or Dirk Koetter. The Eagles are set to meet with Tom Coughlin Monday night, but the chances of the Eagles giving an up-front personality like Coughlin the job are slim. And who’s to say Coughlin would even want to be in Philadelphia?

This is a tough time for the Eagles. They are having a difficult time finding a head coach and the front office is the reason for it.

More Howie stuff from 'Inside the Iggles': http://insidetheiggles.com/2016/01/09/howie-roseman-is-absolutely-destroying-the-philadelphia-eagles/

"Howie Roseman is a power-hungry tyrant and is killing the Philadelphia Eagles."

The Philadelphia Eagles attempt to hire Adam Gase as their next head coach was a swing and a miss and Howie Roseman, Philadelphias executive vice president of football operations, may be to thank for it.

After the firing of Chip Kelly, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie stated that the search for a new head coach would be run by himself, team president Don Smolenski and Roseman. However, instead of searching for the right guy for the job, the Eagles are searching for whoever is more likely to play nice with Roseman, which is a disastrous way to run a search for a new head coach.

Its unclear just how much power Gase would have wanted with the Eagles, but Roseman is power-hungry and the fact that he is helping run the Eagles search for a new head coach is troubling. Because of Roseman, the Eagles could be focusing their search on a smaller pool of candidates who will be willing to work with him, which, frankly, may not be a lot of people. Roseman has been regarded as a bit a supremely polarizing figure in the Eagles front office and that is starting to effect their head coaching search.

Hue Jackson, who I am a big supporter of, is one of the better coaching candidates on the market, but its been reported that the Eagles have no interest in even bringing him in for an interview. When Jackson was the head coach for the Oakland Raiders in 2011, he had a fair amount of a voice in terms of personnel, which Roseman does not want the head coach to have, especially after the Chip Kelly fiasco.

Now, the Eagles may be forced to settle for a less-than-stellar candidate like Pat Shurmur, Doug Pederson or Dirk Koetter. The Eagles are set to meet with Tom Coughlin Monday night, but the chances of the Eagles giving an up-front personality like Coughlin the job are slim. And whos to say Coughlin would even want to be in Philadelphia?

This is a tough time for the Eagles. They are having a difficult time finding a head coach and the front office is the reason for it.

So what evidence does he offer for Howie being power hungry? I've been hearing this rhetoric all week. No ones offered a quote or evidence that illustrates this point. There's seems to be a concerted effort to paint Roseman as the bad guy here and if he is then give us the reasons. No one has brought anything to the table.

This editorial might as well be me or big boy or Deamon making a post for all the proof it offers. Only difference is he has it on a website. It's all conjecture.

The Philadelphia Eagles attempt to hire Adam Gase as their next head coach was a swing and a miss and Howie Roseman, Philadelphias executive vice president of football operations, may be to thank for it.

Its unclear just how much power Gase would have wanted with the Eagles, but Roseman is power-hungry and the fact that he is helping run the Eagles search for a new head coach is troubling. Because of Roseman, the Eagles could be focusing their search on a smaller pool of candidates who will be willing to work with him, which, frankly, may not be a lot of people. Roseman has been regarded as a bit a supremely polarizing figure in the Eagles front office and that is starting to effect their head coaching search.

Hue Jackson, who I am a big supporter of, is one of the better coaching candidates on the market, but its been reported that the Eagles have no interest in even bringing him in for an interview. When Jackson was the head coach for the Oakland Raiders in 2011, he had a fair amount of a voice in terms of personnel, which Roseman does not want the head coach to have, especially after the Chip Kelly fiasco.

Now, the Eagles may be forced to settle for a less-than-stellar candidate like Pat Shurmur, Doug Pederson or Dirk Koetter. The Eagles are set to meet with Tom Coughlin Monday night, but the chances of the Eagles giving an up-front personality like Coughlin the job are slim. And whos to say Coughlin would even want to be in Philadelphia?

So what evidence does he offer for Howie being power hungry? I've been hearing this rhetoric all week. No ones offered a quote or evidence that illustrates this point. There's seems to be a concerted effort to paint Roseman as the bad guy here and if he is then give us the reasons. No one has brought anything to the table.

This editorial might as well be me or big boy or Deamon making a post for all the proof it offers. Only difference is he has it on a website. It's all conjecture.
'Multiple league sources' say Chip was fired because 'Howie got him,' 'place is out of control,' etc. And the fact that he hasn't gotten along with anyone he's worked with...

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/12/what_is_eagles_owner_jeffrey_lurie_thinking.html#incart_river_index

There was also a war going on in the NovaCare Complex between Roseman and Marynowitz, according to several sources inside and outside the building.

"Howie has been poisoning Ed,'' one person with knowledge of the infighting said. "And he has his people doing the same.''

According to several league sources, the firings have Roseman's fingerprints all over it.

"I can't believe it,'' a long-time executive for an Eagles rival said when told of Kelly's firing. "They did what? Are you serious? No, you're kidding right? You can't be serious.''

When he finally realized it wasn't a joke, he put the onus on the former and probably future general manager.

"Howie got him,'' the executive said. "He won. It took him some time, but he got to the owner, and he won. That's just amazing. What is Lurie thinking? That place is just out of control.''

The Philadelphia Eagles attempt to hire Adam Gase as their next head coach was a swing and a miss and Howie Roseman, Philadelphias executive vice president of football operations, may be to thank for it. After the firing of Chip Kelly, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie stated that the search for a new head coach would be run by himself, team president Don Smolenski and Roseman. However, instead of searching for the right guy for the job, the Eagles are searching for whoever is more likely to play nice with Roseman, which is a disastrous way to run a search for a new head coach. Its unclear just how much power Gase would have wanted with the Eagles, but Roseman is power-hungry and the fact that he is helping run the Eagles search for a new head coach is troubling. Because of Roseman, the Eagles could be focusing their search on a smaller pool of candidates who will be willing to work with him, which, frankly, may not be a lot of people. Roseman has been regarded as a bit a supremely polarizing figure in the Eagles front office and that is starting to effect their head coaching search. Hue Jackson, who I am a big supporter of, is one of the better coaching candidates on the market, but its been reported that the Eagles have no interest in even bringing him in for an interview. When Jackson was the head coach for the Oakland Raiders in 2011, he had a fair amount of a voice in terms of personnel, which Roseman does not want the head coach to have, especially after the Chip Kelly fiasco. Now, the Eagles may be forced to settle for a less-than-stellar candidate like Pat Shurmur, Doug Pederson or Dirk Koetter. The Eagles are set to meet with Tom Coughlin Monday night, but the chances of the Eagles giving an up-front personality like Coughlin the job are slim. And whos to say Coughlin would even want to be in Philadelphia? This is a tough time for the Eagles. They are having a difficult time finding a head coach and the front office is the reason for it.

'Multiple league sources' say Chip was fired because 'Howie got him,' 'place is out of control,' etc. And the fact that he hasn't gotten along with anyone he's worked with...http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/12/what_is_eagles_owner_jeffrey_lurie_thinking.html#incart_river_index

There was also a war going on in the NovaCare Complex between Roseman and Marynowitz, according to several sources inside and outside the building.

"Howie has been poisoning Ed,'' one person with knowledge of the infighting said. "And he has his people doing the same.''

According to several league sources, the firings have Roseman's fingerprints all over it.

"I can't believe it,'' a long-time executive for an Eagles rival said when told of Kelly's firing. "They did what? Are you serious? No, you're kidding right? You can't be serious.''

When he finally realized it wasn't a joke, he put the onus on the former and probably future general manager.

"Howie got him,'' the executive said. "He won. It took him some time, but he got to the owner, and he won. That's just amazing. What is Lurie thinking? That place is just out of control.''
I'm with Insein on this. I've never gotten the hate toward Roseman. I swear people hear the name and see what he looks like and it's instant "yep! Not a football guy." I think it's kinda disgraceful actually. Has he made some bad picks? I'm sure he has. But he's made some really fine ones too and likely kept Kelly from making even worse moves as had been documented. I also don't believe he was the person behind the Smith pick.

People hated banner too because he looked like a guy that got shoved into his locker at school but the guy did a heck of a job. How many coaches are truly successful having all the power? Very few. I like Jackson too but if he has a rep for wanting it all then no thanks.

The hate for Howie is simple. This #### city always needs someone to hate. Preferably someone who looks like they're not a "football guy".

And there's a reason why only one team brought Gase in for a second interview (or probably the only ones who offered him a job) same as there's a reason why Hugh Jackson isn't or hasn't been a HC ANYWHERE.

Disregard league sources because Philly loves to hate someone? OK. :lmao:
Hey league sources reported Lovie Smith is in town this weekend for an interview and his hiring is imminent.

@Ekargbo25 @Browns BREAKING: per @JoshInnesRadio and league source Philadelphia Eagles will interview lovie smith this weekend

Well, if people in the building state their was a constant fight between Howie and Marynowitz, and Howie and 'his people' have been poisoning the relationships between the owner and the personnel executive that's pretty damning. Why do we assume the sources are bogus and that Howie is/was not part of the problem here? Certainly not coming across as a team player if he's undercutting his replacement. Small and petty, if true.

More damning is other executives around the league indicating that Howie is responsible for the firings of Chip/Ed (and others in the past). Other league executives going so far as to say Howie 'got him' and got into the owners ear?

Just sounds dysfunctional, and IMO way too much smoke for their not to be some fire here. I echo my earlier comments that I would have preferred Lurie clean house and bring in a new GM unattached to the last few regimes/staffs.

There is no 'need to hate' anyone. Far from it.

ETA - on another note, Cindy fans cheering Ben getting carted into the locker room. Throwing trash at him. Thank god he wasn't wearing a star on his helmet or a Santa Claus suit, or Bengal fans would never hear the end of it.

And there's a reason why only one team brought Gase in for a second interview (or probably the only ones who offered him a job) same as there's a reason why Hugh Jackson isn't or hasn't been a HC ANYWHERE.
:confused: "After the 2010 season, Hue Jackson was named Oakland Raiders head coach in 2011, succeeding Tom Cable."
Thought he was a fill in coach for part of a season.

Either way, I'm sure there's plenty of reason why he hasn't had much interest from teams since those days.

Welcome to 2015. Your grandmother could post something from a "source"

When Chip left after his first interview the Howie crap went into full swing. When Chip was hired all praise went to Howie and suddenly the agenda died. Strange right?

This city needs to hate someone. Always has and always will. Tons of fans wanted Chip gone. He gets fired and than what? No one to hate. Let's find a guy. Lurie? Howie? It's what happens here.

:confused: "After the 2010 season, Hue Jackson was named Oakland Raiders head coach in 2011, succeeding Tom Cable."
Thought he was a fill in coach for part of a season.

Either way, I'm sure there's plenty of reason why he hasn't had much interest from teams since those days.
He's interviewing with Cleveland tomorrow and SF on Monday. Shefter stated he 'would be shocked' if he doesn't get one of those jobs. SF sources deeming him the 'frontrunner.'

He was OC in OAK in 2010. Top 5 offense. Promoted to HC for 2011. Went 8-8. Got fired when Al died and new ownership took over.

I think he's a great candidate and will be getting a shot, very soon. Lots of smart football people have him as a top 2 or 3 HC candidate. Really surprised Philadelphia asked to see Guenther but not Hue, but no biggie. Thought he should at least get an interview, but apparently they aren't interested. For whatever reason. :shrug:

Well, if people in the building state their was a constant fight between Howie and Marynowitz, and Howie and 'his people' have been poisoning the relationships between the owner and the personnel executive that's pretty damning. Why do we assume the sources are bogus and that Howie is/was not part of the problem here? Certainly not coming across as a team player if he's undercutting his replacement. Small and petty, if true.

More damning is other executives around the league indicating that Howie is responsible for the firings of Chip/Ed (and others in the past). Other league executives going so far as to say Howie 'got him' and got into the owners ear?

Just sounds dysfunctional, and IMO way too much smoke for their not to be some fire here. I echo my earlier comments that I would have preferred Lurie clean house and bring in a new GM unattached to the last few regimes/staffs.

ETA - on another note, Cindy fans cheering Ben getting carted into the locker room. Throwing trash at him. Thank god he wasn't wearing a star on his helmet or a Santa Claus suit, or Bengal fans would never hear the end of it.
Poisoning? Undercutting? Sounds like a woman's hair salon is what it sounds like.

Ever work in a place and have one of your friends fired? Ever talk to him after? How many times does said friend say "you know I just stunk at the job so it made sense to let me go"? It's never that. Someone was out to get him or he had no idea why he was fired etc.

EVERYONE knew Manowitz was a yes man GM to Chip.

Anonymous executives around the league said this and that. Another media pastime. Hey, wait until how many executives love or hate a guy near the draft too. They spill all kinds of beans around that time.

You couldn't be more wrong about the hate. It's always been here and in every sport. This city refuses to be happy even when they get what they want.

Thought he was a fill in coach for part of a season.Either way, I'm sure there's plenty of reason why he hasn't had much interest from teams since those days.
He's interviewing with Cleveland tomorrow and SF on Monday. Shefter stated he 'would be shocked' if he doesn't get one of those jobs. SF sources deeming him the 'frontrunner.'He was OC in OAK in 2010. Top 5 offense. Promoted to HC for 2011. Went 8-8. Got fired when Al died and new ownership took over.[\b]

I think he's a great candidate and will be getting a shot, very soon. Lots of smart football people have him as a top 2 or 3 HC candidate. Really surprised Philadelphia asked to see Guenther but not Hue, but no biggie. Thought he should at least get an interview, but apparently they aren't interested. For whatever reason. :shrug:
And that all reads good, right? That's begs the question of why he hasn't had much interest in 4-5 years IMO. I won't pretend to know much about him in Oakland or Cincy but something isn't right with him and it would seem like the word is out.

Welcome to 2015. Your grandmother could post something from a "source"

When Chip left after his first interview the Howie crap went into full swing. When Chip was hired all praise went to Howie and suddenly the agenda died. Strange right?

This city needs to hate someone. Always has and always will. Tons of fans wanted Chip gone. He gets fired and than what? No one to hate. Let's find a guy. Lurie? Howie? It's what happens here.
True, but does my grandmother know Louis Riddick? :P

"Among many who have dealt with Roseman both inside and outside the organization that don’t speak highly of him is ESPN’s Louis Riddick. Riddick worked in numerous roles for the Eagles from 2008-2013, including director of player personnel for his final four seasons.

Last January, after Kelly was given final say over personnel control and Roseman was shifted to vice president of football operations, Riddick, normally as professional as it gets, said this of Roseman to 97.5 the Fanatic:

“He has been a constant there through a lot of the change,” Riddick said of Roseman. “It’s no secret. I don’t think him and I will be sharing any Christmas cards anytime soon.”

“I think what’s happened now is it’s the way it should have been for a long time. Let’s put it that way. Now, they’ve finally.. They’ve cleaned it up. Now the people who are doing what they should be doing are doing what they should and the people who shouldn’t have been doing what they were doing .. aren’t.”

“Tom Gamble, you can throw myself in there, they’ve had quality football people there. People who know the game. People with big personalities. Let’s just say they went into Philadelphia one way and left another way.”

Given Roseman’s sudden rise back into relevance, Riddick joined 97.5 the Fanatic’s Mike Missanelli yesterday afternoon and touched on that topic again.

On why Roseman's here "I have no idea. Everyone else has been removed Everyone else has been held accountable except him."

Riddick also added this:

“I thought it was a little funny and ironic that he made such a big deal out of the style of leadership and lack of communication and lack of awareness that he was basically pointing out on Chip’s part, when some of those same things existed on the highest level of the organization on the personnel level when I was there. Lack of leadership, lack of awareness, lack of communication. It’s funny how then it was being trotted out there as being something that was so unacceptable at this point and was basically the thing that he really hung his hat on as far as why he fired them. So those kind of things all kind of struck me as ironic.”

There’s no doubt that Riddick doesn’t care for Roseman and is bitter about his exit from the organization, but given how many people have had ugly exits from the organization in the past few years, it’s hard not to put stock in what he says."

http://section215.com/2015/12/31/eagles-news-louis-riddick-doubles-down-on-ripping-howie-roseman/

Poisoning? Undercutting? Sounds like a woman's hair salon is what it sounds like.
Exactly. And Howie contributes to this more than a little bit, by all accounts. Named sources. Ex-coaches and employees. It didn't just start three weeks ago, either.

Just saying, sounds very dysfunctional. Too much chatter for there not to be some truth. IMO Lurie should have cleaned house.

I have no clue what that article was supposed to address or point out. That a guy was fired and isn't happy that his boss wasn't too?

Has Mr Riddick been hired by anybody else after being terminated? Similar role?

*ETA* Just checked and what to you know. Never hired again by any NFL team. Sounds like he may just have been, I don't know, bad at his job?

Exactly. And Howie contributes to this more than a little bit, by all accounts. Named sources. Ex-coaches and employees. It didn't just start three weeks ago, either.Just saying, sounds very dysfunctional. Too much chatter for there not to be some truth. IMO Lurie should have cleaned house.
Howie contributes to this? I haven't seen any quote from him contributing. Or is he contributing simply by existing?

Exactly. And Howie contributes to this more than a little bit, by all accounts. Named sources. Ex-coaches and employees. It didn't just start three weeks ago, either.Just saying, sounds very dysfunctional. Too much chatter for there not to be some truth. IMO Lurie should have cleaned house.
Howie contributes to this? I haven't seen any quote from him contributing. Or is he contributing simply by existing?
Just posted this exact thing, from a named source, who worked there for years.

Riddick also added this:

“I thought it was a little funny and ironic that he made such a big deal out of the style of leadership and lack of communication and lack of awareness that he was basically pointing out on Chip’s part, when some of those same things existed on the highest level of the organization on the personnel level when I was there. Lack of leadership, lack of awareness, lack of communication. It’s funny how then it was being trotted out there as being something that was so unacceptable at this point and was basically the thing that he really hung his hat on as far as why he fired them. So those kind of things all kind of struck me as ironic.”

"given how many people have had ugly exits from the organization in the past few years, it’s hard not to put stock in what he says."

-----

You follow the team and read player and coach/staff accounts, and think Howie isn't part of the problem. I just read lots and hear lots that he is. And linked them. I think it has been mentioned by many NFL people that Howie may not be easy to work with and a it makes the job a harder sell.

But what do we know, we're not in the building. I suppose everything said by those who were is jaded, after they have been let go, sour grapes.

Carry on.

The second I read something from an ex-employee I stop taking anything after that serious.

Same goes for sources with me unless I see corresponding evidence with my own eyes. I.e. Chip losing the locker room then seeing a team quit on the field.

The upper management stuff like "who feels this way about who" is just to much for me to concern myself with. It's more or less the newspaper to me, 95% BS.

This day and age the sources are out of control. One day Gruden sends a message to Lurie saying he's interested. I'm sure that same writer never imagined Gruden himself would text Eskin to call it BS. Anything that writer has from a source should be automatically discredited IMO. Sadly I'd imagine almost all of them are guilty of something like this.

I'm a bit skeptical of an ex employee with an axe to grind. I've also heard this agenda from the good ole boys in the league who don't like this "pencil pusher" getting any where in their world since he was brought in.

I just look at Howie's track record and so far he's shown promise as a personnel guy. I don't buy any of this other BS because NFL front offices aren't tea parties. There is a lot of cutthroat back door politics we never hear about because egos are huge at that level. So to think that Howie Roseman is some extra special problem that no one wants to work with is definitely some butt hurt ex employee trying to start any fire he can using all his friends in the media to stoke the embers.

Riddick's comments come off like very sour grapes IMO.

I'm not even saying that Howie isn't hard to work with but what kind of hard are we talking? Hard like a meddling owner/GM who is telling coaches who to play? Those types have no issues hiring coaches. Are Howies expectations to high? Is it that kind of hard?

Why was it Howie making the job less desirable when Chip left but Howie getting all the credit for landing him?

I think we're just looking at things different.

Riddick's comments come off like very sour grapes IMO.

I'm not even saying that Howie isn't hard to work with but what kind of hard are we talking? Hard like a meddling owner/GM who is telling coaches who to play? Those types have no issues hiring coaches. Are Howies expectations to high? Is it that kind of hard?

Why was it Howie making the job less desirable when Chip left but Howie getting all the credit for landing him?

I think we're just looking at things different.
I don't put any feathers in Howie's cap for 'landing' Chip. Not in 2013, and not now. I'm not the media though, so I get your point. I'm only speaking for myself here... with all the drama in the NovaCare, wanted Jeff to bring in a new GM/HC to be a team from day 1. Media crusade against the lawyer, because he's not a 'football guy,' huh?

Agree to disagree.

Just waiting for the entire Cincy staff to fall apart after the disgraceful debacle that was their finale tonight.

LB coach following Gase

OC Hue likely in SF

DC Guenther likely somewhere... or perhaps promoted to HC (rumored Lewis may be out)

Not sure I want any part of the staff, but looks like the fallout in Cincy may be upon us.

I'm a bit skeptical of an ex employee with an axe to grind. I've also heard this agenda from the good ole boys in the league who don't like this "pencil pusher" getting any where in their world since he was brought in.

I just look at Howie's track record and so far he's shown promise as a personnel guy. I don't buy any of this other BS because NFL front offices aren't tea parties. There is a lot of cutthroat back door politics we never hear about because egos are huge at that level. So to think that Howie Roseman is some extra special problem that no one wants to work with is definitely some butt hurt ex employee trying to start any fire he can using all his friends in the media to stoke the embers.
I agree his only draft was good and apparently he stopped chip from wasting a first on Jordan Matthews. But Howie has run everyone out. The one that scares me the most was TOM gamble. He was coming home and left SF so he could come back to the Eagles. At first I thought he didn't get along with Chip but an article said him and Howie didn't get along.

Given Luries track record, Howie now has responsibility so he should be responsible going forward.

And Howie landed Chip? The guy he fought and lost personnel to? That move had Lurie written al over it.
When Chip interviewed here and left without a deal it was because of Howie per our media. A few days later we sign Chip and Lurie says it was all Howie who landed him.

We're talking about different things.

I agree his only draft was good and apparently he stopped chip from wasting a first on Jordan Matthews. But Howie has run everyone out. The one that scares me the most was TOM gamble. He was coming home and left SF so he could come back to the Eagles. At first I thought he didn't get along with Chip but an article said him and Howie didn't get along.

Given Luries track record, Howie now has responsibility so he should be responsible going forward.
Chip made his power play after Howie wanted to move on from Gamble. GMs can hire and fire people. May have been a bad move by Howie but that's what a GM does. The media was so blood thirsty to get him after he fired gamble but they didn't have time to digest it because Chip made his move. Lurie would have had to either let Chip walk or give in. Maybe Lurie knew that if they didn't get where Chip was selling, he was going to fire him. I'm sure Howie was a bit vindictive of Chip after he sought the guy out and hired him only for Chip to undercut him like that.We have no idea if letting Gamble go was good or bad. It's not like the 2013-14 drafts were that great. So maybe Howie wanted a new NFL mind in there. Who knows. Hopefully Howie does have the responsibility in Lurie's eyes so if he really is a problem, the blame will fall on him. The media can't stand the guy though. So I expect many "league sources" to continue saying how hard he is to work with.

And Howie landed Chip? The guy he fought and lost personnel to? That move had Lurie written al over it.
Howie totally went after Chip. He courted him from the get go. The Power struggle came after the honeymoon when either Chip or Howie didn't like the situation as much as they thought they would.

Jackson should be head coach of the Bengals in the morning. If not already. But then again it's Cincinnati, Lewis will probably get a raise.

Users who are viewing this thread