What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2016** Miami Dolphins- Playoff Bound!!! The product on the field is starting to match the top organization in the NFL (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
The pain begins with owner Stephen Ross who continues to show his shortcomings as an NFL owner despite his somewhat distinguished business background. He doesn’t seem to learn from his own mistakes and IMO while he says he wants to win a title, his actions speak more of a wealthy old man enjoying his money and trying to do the only thing he seems to understand, expand the entertainment side of this. It is entertainment above all else for him and to many fans.

But to the true fans that actually care about the product on the field and understand that process starts long before the coach shows up, it’s painful to be lied to again and again. I am still waiting for the special committee with Tony Dungy, Curtis Martin, and many others that this owner flapped his gums trying to do damage control for Bullygate, you might remember reading about it. The imbecil who was in charge of things during that debacle not only kept his job but made it almost 2 full seasons later before finally being shown the door.

Jan-2008: Ross rents to own from Wayne Huiezinga the former owner. He keeps Bill Parcells on as the quiet man in charge who advises Ross to hire Jeff Ireland as GM and a guy who was on no one’s hire list in OL coach turned Head Coach Tony Sporano. Ireland would eventually fire Sporano and continue to make horrendous moves in the draft. Miami still does not go out and hire anyone they want. Harbaugh said no thanks, Jeff Fisher passed, there are others I can’t think of but we end up with about the 6th guy on our list, the QB coach for the Packers who was known as not calling any plays there. Gomer Pyle finally shown the door.

Now here is the kicker, the interim guy won the 1st 2 games something like 80-0, managed to get a 41-0 lead over another so called professional franchise, this was the TEs Coach who was promoted. He ends up wining almost 50% of his games but is likely to get fired after beating the reigning Super Bowl champs and the very team you are trying to beat in your division. But Miami will be eager to talk to others and Campbell will eventually take over for Bill Belichick in New England and coach against Miami for 20 years winning 4 or 5 Super Bowls along the way. Another guy we let slip away. Todd Bowles was an assistant here. We had a chance to hire Rex Ryan not once but twice and passed both times. What is Miami’s record vs Rex Ryan? I’m betting it isn’t good. They could still go find Doug Marrone if they choose, he has an axe to grind right about now.

Mike Tannenbaum was allowed to fire GM Dennis Hickey who never was allowed to make a single decision on his own here. Some chick named Dawn Aponte worked with Tannenbaum up in New York and I couldn’t tell you what she does other than accounting but I know she has to OK everything. So now Mike will hire the next guy to be fired inside of 3 seasons here and along the way Tannenbaum will be shown the door but the coach will somehow be able to stay thru the next GM hiring process. Get the idea here?

Hickey is fired before the game and then some guy name Grier I think is announced as the new GM. My 1st question is not who he is but rather what was the hiring process? They simply promoted from within but I thought there were several African American candidates that were talked up around the league. Now this buffoon of an owner is all too eager to want to try and help the NFL out with Euro home games and had bowed to Goodell every step to get the Super Bowl back in Miami…you have perhaps the greatest city in the country to host a winter football game fully equipped with sandy beaches and bikini babes, and you let Goodell push you around, painful to watch.

Apparently Mike Tannenbaum has total control over all personnel issues, that is frightening and you can see the direction of the team so far is not good. I did initially like how Tannenbaum ran a couple guys out of town but in reality he had to cut Mike Wallace and that ridiculous contract. But then he turns around and hands out an equally bad one to Mr Suh.

And after reading all 800 words of this BS, you might ask how come there is nothing mentioned of the players themselves? No point, until this place is run 1st class, you will always have a 2nd class team on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill is not the answer & not worth that fat contract. Miller has been misused to the extreme.
Miller is gone, wish him the best.

THill might not be the answer but when given time he actually looks like an NFL QB.

Still starts with Ross and Mike Tannenbaum now.

Tannehill is not the answer & not worth that fat contract. Miller has been misused to the extreme.
Miller is gone, wish him the best. THill might not be the answer but when given time he actually looks like an NFL QB.

Still starts with Ross and Mike Tannenbaum now.
Not gone yet. Anything can happen in the NFL. I hope we get new staff & they keep him & use him properly. I'd rather see Tannehill gone. The Suh signing was another dud.

Cant recall ever being this upset about our future heading into an offseason. Everyone is talking about the horror in Cleveland...it is bad there, but I actually think its worse here. They dont have an ungodly contract for a below average QB to deal with, or a $100M contract on a NT who made little impact on the field. We will lose Wake and Vernon, and Miko Grimes has written her husband's ticket out of town. None of our LBs are worthy of starting. On D alone we need:

At least 2 CBs

3 LBs

2 DEs

1 Safety

Reshad Jones, Suh, and maybe Jordan Phillips are all we have on D. Legitimately.

On O we need:

QB

RB?

2 guards

Maybe a starting tackle - at mimimum a couple young guys who can fill in when needed. Albert and James both have trouble staying on the field.

We need a HC and a whole new staff. Who the heck would want this job though? See above for all of the reasons why not, and then add in a doofus owner. Need to fully rebuild, with no salary cap left since it is all being used by 2 guys - one of whom isnt even good. We will get the 5th or 6th best option at HC, and then a staff of desperate losers who cant find a better job. The nice weather and income tax laws can only take you so far.

Its a mess, and will be for a long, long time.

Cant recall ever being this upset about our future heading into an offseason. Everyone is talking about the horror in Cleveland...it is bad there, but I actually think its worse here. They dont have an ungodly contract for a below average QB to deal with, or a $100M contract on a NT who made little impact on the field. We will lose Wake and Vernon, and Miko Grimes has written her husband's ticket out of town. None of our LBs are worthy of starting. On D alone we need:

At least 2 CBs

3 LBs

2 DEs

1 Safety

Reshad Jones, Suh, and maybe Jordan Phillips are all we have on D. Legitimately.

On O we need:

QB

RB?

2 guards

Maybe a starting tackle - at mimimum a couple young guys who can fill in when needed. Albert and James both have trouble staying on the field.

We need a HC and a whole new staff. Who the heck would want this job though? See above for all of the reasons why not, and then add in a doofus owner. Need to fully rebuild, with no salary cap left since it is all being used by 2 guys - one of whom isnt even good. We will get the 5th or 6th best option at HC, and then a staff of desperate losers who cant find a better job. The nice weather and income tax laws can only take you so far.

Agree 100% - don't remember it ever being this bad.

This happens every 3-5 years - clean house, start over, rinse, lather, repeat.

The ONLY good thing going on right now is the Jets being out of the playoffs - so there's that.

At least 2 CBs

3 LBs

2 DEs

1 Safety

On O we need:

QB

RB?

2 guards

Okay, I'll play contrarian here and say this is not as bad as it seems....

Yesterday did show us that Tanny has potential, and his contract is much like the one that was given Kapernick in that the phins can basically divest themselves from him in 2017 if he doesn't work out. The offense has a nice young core with Parker, Landry, Ajaji, Stills, Juwan James, Tanny and Pouncy. Do they need some work along the Oline, sure, but the skill positions (depending on what you think of Tannehill) are in place.

Now, can tannehill play and thrive in an offense that gives him the keys to audible, run, and pass? Can they finally give this tough as nails kid an O Line to protect him? (Carr was reduced to a puddle at this point in his career with all the hits he took, tanny is still throwing tds). If the kid is "too dumb for the game" (ie cannot audible and make the correct throws) then we will need to restart the QB conversation in 2017.

As for the defense: Yeah, it is in shambles. You got 3 DTs and a Safety, and the rest are a bunch of JAGs (with apologies to Jelani Jenkins who may be more than "just a guy" but he needs to be healthy to find that out).

Dolphins need to draft defense this year and maybe one athletic Tackle who can start at Guard while he learns to be a better tackle. They should try and get wake back at a better price and try to keep grimes if they can. They "could" draft a QB somewhere after round 2, but I think it is a mistake to spend resources on that in 2016 when you know that cap wise, tanny is your guy for 2016.

They are not good, but IF (IF IF) they can find some coaching out there (for the positions as much if not more than the HC) things could turn quite quickly.

Gator

PS. I think the offense was extremely limited in terms of "intelligent" playcalling all year. Maybe that has to do with the oline, who knows. All I know is you cannot be anything without an O Line and a D line.

Mike Shanahan speaking to the Dolphins for the second time in two weeks tomorrow. Didnt see that one coming...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25437181/report-mike-shanahan-to-meet-with-dolphins-about-coaching-job

Circus story #1. You must click on Adam Kuperstein's little sound bite, I almost #### myself.

"From every aspect except on the playing field, we're probably the first-class organization in the National Football League"

:lmao:
:lmao: :lmao:
I think I might start selling t-shirts outside the stadium with Stephen Ross quotes on them. That man has to be one of the most delusional owners in the NFL. He is well into his 70s, can't hit a high five inside his stadium box to save his life, and in general he comes across as Gomer much like Joe Philbin did which is probably why Ross coveted him and hated seeing Philbin go, probably one of his only friends. This owner pumped up Philbin to the fans by endorsing him and saying that Philbin was one of the most organized people he had met.

It's like having your grandpa shows up to run things but has zero clue how the electronic device in the middle of the room that controls everything...yeah he has no idea how to make that work. And Ross keeps bringing people with lengthy resumes in to talk to him like Mike Shanahan. That wouldn't be bad but Shanahan's torch burned out a while ago. Most were surprised he got the Skins head coaching job.

Miko grimes. Hot or not?
Are you kidding? You can smell the funk on her from miles away. But she has a big personality much bigger than her physical appearance.

Miko is my age for god's sake, it's obvious why Mr Grimes wanted an older woman, he wanted his mama and that's what he got.

I especially like when she sports the Thulsa Doom wig on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=james+earl+jones+character+in+conan+the+barbarian&espv=2&biw=1422&bih=664&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiXjM78npLKAhXLNiYKHSuqD1MQsAQISQ#imgrc=M6yx9u3kCrZkCM%3A

vs

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/miko-grimes-latest-twitter-tirade-supporting-hubby/nkc79/

Mike Shanahan speaking to the Dolphins for the second time in two weeks tomorrow. Didnt see that one coming...
Smokescreen for the one they really want.

I'll just come out and say it and then we can all discuss...there is one man on my list of must hire candidates for the Miami Dolphins and I will explain why.

Josh McDaniels is absolutely the right man for the job and please hear me out before you turn your nose up, have I ever been dead wrong yet on this team despite a lot of hate even from Miami Dolphins fans? The writings are all in the archives but I seem to remember most years the fan base has been way more excited and I have had deep reservations even being called a Phins hater by many.

Several factors but I will lay them out. The best one I can show you that works is that coaches often do not make it on their first go around.

Bill Belichick: (223 Wins, 4 Super Bowl victories, 6 Super Bowl appearances, 22 playoff game victories) Head Coach of the mighty Cleveland Browns with Nick Saban on staff to boot did not work out in the early 90s. He coached there for 5 years and in year 4 they actually went to the playoffs after going 11-5 and winning a playoff game. I would have to check but did Cleveland ever win a playoff game after BB left town? I know Butch Davis got them there one season but I don't think they made any noise. BB did not pan out his 1st time around but will go on to greatness with his next team.

Pete Carroll: (2 Super Bowl appearances in the last 2 years, 1 trophy, 1 Lynchyard from another) he failed with the very team that would hire the last guy I mentioned. Carroll would go on to a storied college career over about 10 years with a couple titles mixed in. he leaves and lands in Seattle where he has had major success. Humbled by his failure in New England and then got it right.

Tom Coughlin: (2 Lombardi Trophys after he left Jax) now he didn't fail in Jax, in fact those folks would tell NYG fans, get ready for some losing as he isn't easy to replace. but he also did not make it happen at his 1st NFL team.

And if you need another name let me remind you of a guy we all genuflect in front of...

Don Shula: (Most wins of any NFL coach EVER including a perfect season and B2B SB victories) he also failed in Baltimore before he ended up in Miami. Now he might not have failed terribly, they were a winning team when he was there. Shula did not have a losing season in the 7 years he coached the Colts, think about that...

McDaniels already had his humble pie experience and need I remind you that he did start off 6-0 before things went South? Denver felt like they wanted to go in a different direction and they did make a deal with the McDevil so they could compete for a championship right away.

What you cannot do with McDaniels at least for now is give him any say in the players coming and going. I think he can coach, I know he can run an offense in his sleep, go get this guy and bring the Pats mentality with him. We need an entire culture change and switch. This team has no idea how to win, THill starter 4 years-64 games, playoffs ZERO. THill is on the books for at least the next 2 years and until we find a Pan B we better keep him because when THill is given time he shows he can be a competent QB. I still don't know if he will ever make it here. THill is a significant upgrade over the plethora of starters we tried from pretty much Marino but I will even allow Fiedler to slide by as an avg QB, things got even worse when he got run out of town. Remember Gus Frerotte and Sage Rosenfels were our QBs in 2005, this has been a terrible run,

McDaniels has a lot of other good qualities but he hasn't even turned 40 yet, he still is young enough to make some serious noise in this league. he can run an offense even when he is short of talent at the skill positions. This guy is GOING TO BE A HEAD COACH again, and Miami will kick themselves for not hiring this guy...maybe they do and josh has basically told them NO WAY!

I just feel like he makes the most sense of any outside candidates. I'm not convinced Campbell cannot win if given a proper off season and time to build his staff, he rates super high on post game press conferences, that man lays it all on the field. I think he made a lot of mistakes that would need corrected but I am not adverse to him actually taking the job and maybe only getting a 2 yr deal to prove it, he can sign for 4-5 years but have an out 2 years into it.

The rest of the candidates I can't even entertain. Mike Shanahan? Call Mike Holmgren while you are at it. Bill Parcells is not doing much, heck Don Shula can still coach from the wheelchair. I hope this is all smoke screen stuff so they can go get a real candidate from a winning franchise, I feel strongly McDaniels is the right guy but as usual we will not get him. And I would like to know if he flat out won't interview here or if Miami is simply too stupid to realize what they are looking at and at least part of the reason the Pats are likely to make their 7th trip to the SB in the last 14-15 years. 3 possibly in the last 5-6 years and a lot of that is McDaniels' offense. I'm sure Tom Brady helps but I would focus the search on McDaniels and do everything I had to in order to hire him away from the Pats.

If you want to get the real summary on the Miami Dolphins, please have a listen to the local segment of Lebatard/Stugotz on Monday Morning, about the first 7 minutes you will keel over with laughter and very real tears. They hit a lot of notes on Owner Stephen Ross, 75 yrs young and learning on the job as we turn the page on YEAR 8 and look ahead to Year 9 in the Ross era. Dan lands the plane here as well as anyone.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=14502507

Mike Shanahan twice, Mike Smith, Both OC and DC from New Eng, Campbell, they are trying to interview almost everyone.

I don't hear Chip's name mentioned at all though. I'm glad.

Anything has to be better than what we have now, right? :hides:
Campbell is 2nd on my list behind Josh McDaniels.

I don't like any of the other names mentioned and Mike getting 2 interviews really bothers me. Shanny is old and IMO a scheister at this point.

What 60 something out of work ex-NFL HC is not going to want to talk to teams for the kind of money getting tossed about now? You get hired and you get $15-$20M almost guaranteed and then you can ride off into the sunset. Some of them have made big money but many were around $1M a season likely much earlier in their career, now it's skyrocketed, they want a piece of it, that simple.

Hearing a lot of noise right now down here guys about Tom Coughlin.

The noise is Dan Campbell is pleading with Ross and has his ear.

Basically he is asking them to put Coughlin in place with Campbell as the Asst HC or to be mentored and likely the guy in 2-3 years to take over at that point as head coach.

Dan Campbell actually got a raw deal. Sure he got to showcase and he might get a HC interview but it's not likely he will and so he is in a rough spot. He has to swallow his pride and go be a...(I'm not sure he is even a OC/DC guy yet) he was coaching 4 guys on the Phins and then suddenly he was coaching 53. His options are going to be somewhat limited and he has been in Miami for the last 4-5 years(family here). He doesn't want to leave.

I'm open to this because it is still light years ahead of what we have had the last decade. Get someone in here with real experience. We have coaches with Super Bowl rings walking around and needing homes right now.

Somehow Miami is going to screw this up. I don't know exactly how but trust me they will frack this up 3 ways to Sunday, just you wait and see.

If I were Owner/GM and I got Josh McDaniels in the door, this is exactly what I would say.

"I didn't bring you here to interview you. I brought you here to hire you. Your track record of success speaks for itself. What do I have to do?"

Somehow Miami is going to screw this up. I don't know exactly how but trust me they will frack this up 3 ways to Sunday, just you wait and see.
Lol, It's sad that we're so jaded about this team but it's not without merit. Coughlin might be a good thing for the team. Someone to instill some discipline and, although I'm not a huge fan of his conservative nature, I think he's changed his ways somewhat the last few years. And, as a bonus, his Giant teams seemed to give the Patriots a difficult time.

Lol, It's sad that we're so jaded about this team but it's not without merit. Coughlin might be a good thing for the team. Someone to instill some discipline and, although I'm not a huge fan of his conservative nature, I think he's changed his ways somewhat the last few years. And, as a bonus, his Giant teams seemed to give the Patriots a difficult time.
Exactly, you can hire the New England Patriots Slayer!!!

We couldn't even win with Nick Saban or Jimmy Johnson.
JJ had to deal with the end of the Marino era and they were always at odds with each other over the playbook. Marino never truly trusted in JJ.

Nick Saban made a colossal error in signing Dante Culpepper over Drew Brees and we all know how that turned out. At the time though most fans and media were much higher on Culpepper than Brees.

I would be scared as a Dolphins fan with Tannenbaum in charge. He made some splashy moves at first that we liked, but left the Jets franchise in ruins. His drafts were not good and some of his contracts were atrocious. He gave out some huge contracts with heavy guarantees. Bad drafts and lots of dead cap money were not a good combination for success. Seems like history repeating itself in Miami. Coughlin would be a good hire though.

A good friend mentioned that if McDaniels does not interview down here that in all likelihood he has been promised the HC position in NE, hand shake deal anyways. It's tough to accept but it makes sense.

If McDaniels is OUT meaning he won't even interview or when he is in the room he graciously tells them he can't...the list of good potential HC dries up quick and you are left with a couple options.

1. Shanahan: I hope I don't need to whip up a fake good feeling here. He has credentials and all but I feel like this would be tragic for Miami to end up with him.

2. Sean Payton: Going to New York, seems like a sure thing. I shouldn't even list him but it shows that he is not an option either.

3. Mike Smith: He's an improvement but no results in the playoffs. I don't think he is a terrible coach at all.

4. Dan Campbell/Tom Coughlin: I think this is a package deal. You trusted DC for most of the year, listen to the guy and let him study under direct supervision of Coughlin. We stink in case you hadn't noticed, we are not going to go to the Super Bowl overnight. I understand some might not see the light at the end of the tunnel but you have to take steps in that direction first.

Who am I overlooking here?

I would be scared as a Dolphins fan with Tannenbaum in charge.
Believe me, we are. His press conference on Monday is one for the ages really in laughability. He acted like Ross, like they walk on water and how dare we ask questions of them...made me sick to my stomach.

THE CAP $154Million Billion Zillion Cha-Ching

Miami cap as of right now...$156.5Million or -2.5M as it stand right now

Cue the Pink Floyd song

Let's discuss all these $5-$10M contracts Miami has on the books and if they should keep all these guys.

1. Donkey Kong: Will count $28 Million or almost 20% of the entire cap space. What team wins Super Bowls with that much cap space eaten up by 1 player? It doesn't work. If we were to cut him it would cost us well over $50M in dead cap space so folks we are stuck with this contract for now and the forseeable future.

I really am not a Suh fan now that I have seen him in on my team. I thought he was Warren Sapp but Sapp was twice the player Suh is. And while Chad Clifton would have you feel otherwise, Sapp was not known as a dirty player. He and Brett Favre used to pat each other on the behind in games.

2. My wife's hotter than yours: $11.5M, he ain't going anywhere.

3. Branden Albert: $10M with a $5M cap hit if you wanted to release him. He stays for now but I really am not a big fan here.

4. Mike Pouncey: $10M, not going anywhere. Shame Miami has so many OL problems with 2 guys making in the top5 on the team. It's not like Miami doesn't spend on their OL.

5. Cameron Wake: $10M, only 1.5M cap hit, likely to get cut. Not sure anyone will give him $10M but Miami has to cut him and perhaps sign him back or see if he can re-work that deal a little. Too easy to instantly create $8M in space and Miami needs it. I would prefer he not go but I am also realistic.

6. Brent Grimes: $9.5M with a $3M cap hit, gotta take a stand that his wife's behavior will not be tolerated. He played hurt all season pretty sure he is better than he showed but also sure that he is not as good as he was 2 and 3 years ago. Most beat writers are on record as saying he is one of the best athletes to ever be in a Miami Dolphins uniform when you see him in camp. His good though is countered by the bad.

7. Jordan Cameron: $9.5M with a $2M cap hit, Bye Bye. this is the first one I feel no remorse about letting go. We way overspent on him, should have kept Clay, just release him. You have to let him go.

8. Reshad Jones: $8.25M Best defensive player we have, keep him.

9. Quinton Coples: $7.75M and will be let go of. He has no cap hit, Miami signed him late in the season after being cut. Can't see any way he remains on this club nor should he.

10. Dion Jordan: $6.25M with a $3M cap hit...not sure what we can do here. Cut him and eat the loss I guess. #2 pick? I never thought anything would beat Eric Kumerow or John Bosa for worst pick ever by Miami but there are challengers and this is one of them.

11. Greg Jennings: $5.5M with a $1.5M cap hit, bye bye

12. Koa Misi: $5M with a $1M cap hit, bye bye

So I am saving $62M in salary with everyone in red. $12M will count against the cap but I now am down to...drum roll please...$106.5M.

We will need some of that t obviously extend or sign contracts with players already on the team and we need money to keep Vernon at DE, can't lose him and he played for Univ of Miami, might be able to get a home town discount, not much but enough. Lamar Miller will likely not be back.

I think we have enough money to go out and get a LB or 2, we need to hit int he draft and we need to stop signing guys to bad contracts.The cap is not as bad as I first thought it was if we make the necessary cuts. Grimes could hurt us the most as we really have no answers in the secondary right now at the CB spots. The only spots Miami has pretty locked up are the DTs. All 3 LB spots need work, likely will have to replace Wake and Grimes or go young there and hope for the best.

On offense Miami needs a solution at TE or make that less of a factor in the passing game but open up the WR2 and WR3 slots more. Miami will need to draft an impact RB. Continue to draft OL in the 2nd-5th rounds, maybe another OG or OT in there.

This should help most of you out a lot in how you want to analyze and discuss FA and the Draft. I appreciate all the Phins fans who do gut this out and continue to try and figure out a way we can get better.

A good friend mentioned that if McDaniels does not interview down here that in all likelihood he has been promised the HC position in NE, hand shake deal anyways. It's tough to accept but it makes sense.

If McDaniels is OUT meaning he won't even interview or when he is in the room he graciously tells them he can't...the list of good potential HC dries up quick and you are left with a couple options.

1. Shanahan: I hope I don't need to whip up a fake good feeling here. He has credentials and all but I feel like this would be tragic for Miami to end up with him.

2. Sean Payton: Going to New York, seems like a sure thing. I shouldn't even list him but it shows that he is not an option either.

3. Mike Smith: He's an improvement but no results in the playoffs. I don't think he is a terrible coach at all.

4. Dan Campbell/Tom Coughlin: I think this is a package deal. You trusted DC for most of the year, listen to the guy and let him study under direct supervision of Coughlin. We stink in case you hadn't noticed, we are not going to go to the Super Bowl overnight. I understand some might not see the light at the end of the tunnel but you have to take steps in that direction first.

Todd Haley and Hugh Jackson. Your 'second team' humble pie argument for McD holds for both of them as well. Would be happy to have either of them paired with a strong DC. I would prefer either of them to anyone other than McD.

Todd Haley and Hugh Jackson. Your 'second team' humble pie argument for McD holds for both of them as well. Would be happy to have either of them paired with a strong DC. I would prefer either of them to anyone other than McD.
You are absolutely right but I am probably not excited about either. I feel like Haley is doing what he is best suited for, being an OC. He was really bad as a head coach, it would take a lot for me to be excited about him and he doesn't help us on defense at all.

Jackson, I'd have to take a closer look at him.

Sidenote: Huge Richie Hawtin fan going all the way to the early mid 90s, hope that's why you have his Plastik label.

So with the current cap situation now way they resign lamar miller. Right
I would say he is gone but what kind of money is he going to command? He is not Murray or McCoy plus teams have seen those contracts do not help.

Could Miller get 4yr/$20M? Am I not thinking straight? What is his market value? Miami needs something at RB and he is a hometown type kid here.

My list:

Coughlin: Listen, I respect the guy and while his teams are up and down, he assembles a good staff and his players listen to him.

McDaniels: him and the next guy on my list are the two I get most excited about. Problem is he is a bit of an egomaniac. You have to "hope" he learned his lesson in Denver.

Hue Jackson: I think he is the perfect hire here. Todd Bowles really should have been given the keys the last go round we had here, and Miami's "anti-minority" bias needs to go (we could have had Tomlin instead of Sporano!!!!)

Gus Matzalan: Auburn: Not on the list but he should be. Innovative coach who deserves a shot in the pros.

Gase: Seems like another guy who is going to burn through his first job before being ready for his second spin at HC. I do not want to be the guys training ground.

Mike Shula: Yeah, I said it. SHULA! has HC experience at Bama and has done a great job in Carolina. Hopefully he learned from riverboat ron about taking chances on 4th down and the like.

Everyone else is a retread and maybe I'll be wrong about them. I like Dan Campbell, but he is not ready to be a HC. 4-5 years from now is a different story.

Gatorman said:
My list:

Coughlin: Listen, I respect the guy and while his teams are up and down, he assembles a good staff and his players listen to him.

McDaniels: him and the next guy on my list are the two I get most excited about. Problem is he is a bit of an egomaniac. You have to "hope" he learned his lesson in Denver.

Hue Jackson: I think he is the perfect hire here. Todd Bowles really should have been given the keys the last go round we had here, and Miami's "anti-minority" bias needs to go (we could have had Tomlin instead of Sporano!!!!)

Gus Matzalan: Auburn: Not on the list but he should be. Innovative coach who deserves a shot in the pros.

Gase: Seems like another guy who is going to burn through his first job before being ready for his second spin at HC. I do not want to be the guys training ground.

Mike Shula: Yeah, I said it. SHULA! has HC experience at Bama and has done a great job in Carolina. Hopefully he learned from riverboat ron about taking chances on 4th down and the like.

Everyone else is a retread and maybe I'll be wrong about them. I like Dan Campbell, but he is not ready to be a HC. 4-5 years from now is a different story.
I think Coughlin would revert to what we need here and that is discipline. He had to go the other way in order to win those SBs at certain points but he was a hard ### in BC and Jax and also NY when he first arrived. And I believe Campbell would stay on as perhaps Asst HC. Coughlin will go get the best OC/DC he can and that will be an upgrade over what has been there.

I would like to see this team to resemble an NFL team we could be proud of even in an off year.

Coughlin easily as the top choice imo. However, if I am Coughlin, Miami is maybe my last choice. He is old and doesnt have that many years of coaching left in him. Probably not enough years to turn around this miserable pile of dung. He is basically starting from scratch. Saddled with a bad Qb who gets paid a lot, and no distinguishable talent aside from a couple NTs, a safety, a center, and a couple WRs. Its like starting an expansion team at age 70.

Smokescreen for the one they really want.

I'll just come out and say it and then we can all discuss...there is one man on my list of must hire candidates for the Miami Dolphins and I will explain why.

Josh McDaniels is absolutely the right man for the job and please hear me out before you turn your nose up, have I ever been dead wrong yet on this team despite a lot of hate even from Miami Dolphins fans? The writings are all in the archives but I seem to remember most years the fan base has been way more excited and I have had deep reservations even being called a Phins hater by many.

Several factors but I will lay them out. The best one I can show you that works is that coaches often do not make it on their first go around.

Bill Belichick: (223 Wins, 4 Super Bowl victories, 6 Super Bowl appearances, 22 playoff game victories) Head Coach of the mighty Cleveland Browns with Nick Saban on staff to boot did not work out in the early 90s. He coached there for 5 years and in year 4 they actually went to the playoffs after going 11-5 and winning a playoff game. I would have to check but did Cleveland ever win a playoff game after BB left town? I know Butch Davis got them there one season but I don't think they made any noise. BB did not pan out his 1st time around but will go on to greatness with his next team.

Pete Carroll: (2 Super Bowl appearances in the last 2 years, 1 trophy, 1 Lynchyard from another) he failed with the very team that would hire the last guy I mentioned. Carroll would go on to a storied college career over about 10 years with a couple titles mixed in. he leaves and lands in Seattle where he has had major success. Humbled by his failure in New England and then got it right.

Tom Coughlin: (2 Lombardi Trophys after he left Jax) now he didn't fail in Jax, in fact those folks would tell NYG fans, get ready for some losing as he isn't easy to replace. but he also did not make it happen at his 1st NFL team.

And if you need another name let me remind you of a guy we all genuflect in front of...

Don Shula: (Most wins of any NFL coach EVER including a perfect season and B2B SB victories) he also failed in Baltimore before he ended up in Miami. Now he might not have failed terribly, they were a winning team when he was there. Shula did not have a losing season in the 7 years he coached the Colts, think about that...

McDaniels already had his humble pie experience and need I remind you that he did start off 6-0 before things went South? Denver felt like they wanted to go in a different direction and they did make a deal with the McDevil so they could compete for a championship right away.

What you cannot do with McDaniels at least for now is give him any say in the players coming and going. I think he can coach, I know he can run an offense in his sleep, go get this guy and bring the Pats mentality with him. We need an entire culture change and switch. This team has no idea how to win, THill starter 4 years-64 games, playoffs ZERO. THill is on the books for at least the next 2 years and until we find a Pan B we better keep him because when THill is given time he shows he can be a competent QB. I still don't know if he will ever make it here. THill is a significant upgrade over the plethora of starters we tried from pretty much Marino but I will even allow Fiedler to slide by as an avg QB, things got even worse when he got run out of town. Remember Gus Frerotte and Sage Rosenfels were our QBs in 2005, this has been a terrible run,

McDaniels has a lot of other good qualities but he hasn't even turned 40 yet, he still is young enough to make some serious noise in this league. he can run an offense even when he is short of talent at the skill positions. This guy is GOING TO BE A HEAD COACH again, and Miami will kick themselves for not hiring this guy...maybe they do and josh has basically told them NO WAY!

I just feel like he makes the most sense of any outside candidates. I'm not convinced Campbell cannot win if given a proper off season and time to build his staff, he rates super high on post game press conferences, that man lays it all on the field. I think he made a lot of mistakes that would need corrected but I am not adverse to him actually taking the job and maybe only getting a 2 yr deal to prove it, he can sign for 4-5 years but have an out 2 years into it.

The rest of the candidates I can't even entertain. Mike Shanahan? Call Mike Holmgren while you are at it. Bill Parcells is not doing much, heck Don Shula can still coach from the wheelchair. I hope this is all smoke screen stuff so they can go get a real candidate from a winning franchise, I feel strongly McDaniels is the right guy but as usual we will not get him. And I would like to know if he flat out won't interview here or if Miami is simply too stupid to realize what they are looking at and at least part of the reason the Pats are likely to make their 7th trip to the SB in the last 14-15 years. 3 possibly in the last 5-6 years and a lot of that is McDaniels' offense. I'm sure Tom Brady helps but I would focus the search on McDaniels and do everything I had to in order to hire him away from the Pats.
Not sure McDaniels is the right guy but I agree with the premise that I don't want an elderly retread.

I don't want Shanny either. I would be ok with Coughlin or McDaniels

Anything has to be better than what we have now, right? :hides:
Campbell is 2nd on my list behind Josh McDaniels.I don't like any of the other names mentioned and Mike getting 2 interviews really bothers me. Shanny is old and IMO a scheister at this point.

What 60 something out of work ex-NFL HC is not going to want to talk to teams for the kind of money getting tossed about now? You get hired and you get $15-$20M almost guaranteed and then you can ride off into the sunset. Some of them have made big money but many were around $1M a season likely much earlier in their career, now it's skyrocketed, they want a piece of it, that simple.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins will make a "strong, strong push" to land Bears OC Adam Gase as their head coach during his Thursday interview.
Per La Canfora, the Dolphins' goal is to "try to keep from getting back to Philadelphia." On Wednesday, the Miami Herald's Adam Beasley predicted the Dolphins' head coach would come from a four-man list consisting of Mike Shanahan, Hue Jackson, Gase, and Doug Marrone. The Dolphins already satisfied the Rooney Rule by interviewing Bills RBs coach Anthony Lynn. They could potentially land Gase if owner Stephen Ross gets aggressive monetarily.
Related: Dolphins

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins will make a "strong, strong push" to land Bears OC Adam Gase as their head coach during his Thursday interview.
Per La Canfora, the Dolphins' goal is to "try to keep from getting back to Philadelphia." On Wednesday, the Miami Herald's Adam Beasley predicted the Dolphins' head coach would come from a four-man list consisting of Mike Shanahan, Hue Jackson, Gase, and Doug Marrone. The Dolphins already satisfied the Rooney Rule by interviewing Bills RBs coach Anthony Lynn. They could potentially land Gase if owner Stephen Ross gets aggressive monetarily.
Related: Dolphins

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
They refuse to learn Chuck. The Chicago Bears' OC? Who announced this guy was a hot ticket? So the Phins are going to turn their nose up at coaches with multiple Super Bowl rings around their fingers for Adam Gase? When is the last time an OC stepped right in and won as a HC in the NFL?

The Phins have so many problems on defense right now and yes they need help on offense as well. First time HC IMO has a better chance if they are defensive minded...see Belichick, Carroll, Coughlin, most had pretty awesome defenses for most of their championships.

I knew Miami would frack it up but this hire IMO would be almost the worst of the bunch. And I don't mean to sound how this might come across but it won't energize the fan base at all.

Univ of Miami announced Mark Richt and a deep sigh of relief fell over the crowd because they knew they were now in good hands. Tom Coughlin even at his age would be a breath of fresh air in this place for true fans IMO.

Gamble on some OC...just fire Tannenbaum now, please. What did the Bears do that was so great we gotta make a move for him?

Nothing says hot coaching prodigy like an OC who put together the 21st best offense in the league.

I don't get it.

When is the last time an OC stepped right in and won as a HC in the NFL?
Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton were the most recent Super Bowl winning coaches to jump from OC to HC, and both were quite successful at the transition...
I gotta be honest about McCarthy, GB was 7-6 and got hot for the SB run, he hasn't exactly been great since. I would have to compare the post SB record to John Gruden but they similar on the surface IMO. Payton followed up his SB with a 1 year suspension, something that has never happened to a HC prior or since to my knowledge. And it has been a very rough ride the last couple seasons.

I'm not taking anything away from either but Payton was on the market for a 2nd round pick and no buyers.

Many of the SB type coaches hit it on their 2nd team and already have their HC experience done. It just has not worked out well for Miami chasing coordinators. They need someone who isn't learning on the job. Miami needs some stability. If we stall out at 10-6 for a couple years, make a couple wildcards, we haven't jack krap down here...last real meaningful game was likely Jan 9th, 1999. That was a road divisional playoff game @Denver on their way to their 2nd straight SB victory, we were slaughtered 38-3.

Before that I would say Jan 17th, 1993. Lose the AFCC 29-10 at home to the Buffalo Bills, Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas unstoppable.

That is just horrific.

When is the last time an OC stepped right in and won as a HC in the NFL?
Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton were the most recent Super Bowl winning coaches to jump from OC to HC, and both were quite successful at the transition...
I gotta be honest about McCarthy, GB was 7-6 and got hot for the SB run, he hasn't exactly been great since. I would have to compare the post SB record to John Gruden but they similar on the surface IMO. Payton followed up his SB with a 1 year suspension, something that has never happened to a HC prior or since to my knowledge. And it has been a very rough ride the last couple seasons.

I'm not taking anything away from either but Payton was on the market for a 2nd round pick and no buyers.

Many of the SB type coaches hit it on their 2nd team and already have their HC experience done. It just has not worked out well for Miami chasing coordinators. They need someone who isn't learning on the job. Miami needs some stability. If we stall out at 10-6 for a couple years, make a couple wildcards, we haven't jack krap down here...last real meaningful game was likely Jan 9th, 1999. That was a road divisional playoff game @Denver on their way to their 2nd straight SB victory, we were slaughtered 38-3.

Before that I would say Jan 17th, 1993. Lose the AFCC 29-10 at home to the Buffalo Bills, Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas unstoppable.

That is just horrific.
I understand that you are saying that this would not be good enough...but in my opinion we are at minimum 3 years away from being able to even sniff 8, nonetheless10 wins, and thats only if we do everything right in the next 3 years, which is not exactly our MO.

We are about to be an expansion team. My personal expectations for the the next 5 years are that we show signs of building in the right direction, and maybe become competitive before my kids are all out of my house (youngest is 14). 10 wins in the near future is a completely unrealistic dream in my opinion.

First time HC IMO has a better chance if they are defensive minded...see Belichick, Carroll, Coughlin, most had pretty awesome defenses for most of their championships.
Belichick and Carroll didn't do too well as "first time HC" - they pretty much failed in CLE and NY respectively.

I don't see heading into a building program with a guy who is 70+ and almost certainly done in a couple of years, particularly one who hasn't even been able to run at .500 for years and whose own management thinks is too past his prime to keep in place. Gase is probably the most highly thought of young guy out there (perhaps with OC McDaniel) and made great strides turning Cutler into a much improved QB. You need good offensive and defensive leadership. No matter which side of the ball your HQ comes from, the team results will depend a great deal on who handles the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread