What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Idol - Final Season (1 Viewer)

It was good TV, but they probably saved Ada for last so they could do that vs being spontaneous. I have mixed feelings about Ada. He has a great voice, but drag and his style don't really fit the show. Chris Weaver sang on The Voice as himself and just did a drag number in the finale. As I mentioned about the voting above for Jurnee, suppressing votes from the generally liberal west coast won't help him either.

I'm happy with everyone they sent home.
I gotta disagree about Jurnee. She is overrated, imo. If you watch her performance from last night, she did that song from The Greatest Showman movie. It was way too much song for her. That song showed her lack of a big, strong voice. 

I think the nerdy looking girl with glasses and guitar who did Havana last night is really good. I also think the black guy who sang with Allen Stone is great. Did he survive?

My wife and I were disagreeing on "what" Ava is/was last night (neither of us knew the backstory). She was insistent on trans and I was like "give her a break...maybe she's just not that pretty of a girl."  Oops.

If you watch more of the shows, he does his interviews as Adam. He was on the show as Adam in, I think, season 12.
I think about half-way thru the season he did a performance as Adam. The guy can sing.

Would it be too over the top if he did something from Rocky Horror? ;)   Love that show.

I gotta disagree about Jurnee. She is overrated, imo. If you watch her performance from last night, she did that song from The Greatest Showman movie. It was way too much song for her. That song showed her lack of a big, strong voice. 

I think the nerdy looking girl with glasses and guitar who did Havana last night is really good. I also think the black guy who sang with Allen Stone is great. Did he survive?
You and I are definitely flipped on Catie and Jurnee, though Showman wasn't as good. I like Dennis, too,and he did get a wildcard, but I think he may have trouble competing  with the bigger personalities and voices.If you didn't see his 1st audition, he actually sang Unaware.

Saw two performers and judges response.  All three judges loved both performances.  This show sucks when everyone loves everyone without critique, its just boring television.  I'll never watch another episode.

One was the nerdy chick with glasses, and I did dig her though.

Saw two performers and judges response.  All three judges loved both performances.  This show sucks when everyone loves everyone without critique, its just boring television.  I'll never watch another episode.

One was the nerdy chick with glasses, and I did dig her though.
There is a local girl competing so my wife has been watching and I saw a few of the contestants on last week's show.  The one thing I've noticed is the singer's mic's are way too low compared to music and backing vocals (not sure why they even have backing vocals).  On top of that add the audience noise and it is tough to hear how good or bad most of these contestants are.   

Makes the show unwatchable to me and confirmed I have been right in ignoring it all these years.

There is a local girl competing so my wife has been watching and I saw a few of the contestants on last week's show.  The one thing I've noticed is the singer's mic's are way too low compared to music and backing vocals (not sure why they even have backing vocals).  On top of that add the audience noise and it is tough to hear how good or bad most of these contestants are.   

Makes the show unwatchable to me and confirmed I have been right in ignoring it all these years.
Seeing you are from Pittsburgh, is it Gabby? I'm not a country fan, but I think she could win. (And I agree on the sound issues, but they've just gone live, so hopefully adjust.)

They have to have background vocals for some songs, they'd just sound odd without them.

Seeing you are from Pittsburgh, is it Gabby? I'm not a country fan, but I think she could win. (And I agree on the sound issues, but they've just gone live, so hopefully adjust.)
Yes  Gabby is pretty damn good and could win it although I liked the one that played "homeward bound" .  I think her name was Maddie

I think Maddie is very good, too. Those two plus Cade (rocker) I think all have a good shot. Cade is my favorite of those three, maybe because of song choices. My overall favorite is Jurnee. I think she'd be one of the most marketable, but she didn't make the public vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have to have background vocals for some songs, they'd just sound odd without them.
Then at least they should put them a lot lower in the mix.  
Probably. I wasn't watching that closely that I would have heard that, I also wonder if it has something to do with being live. I'd say they would have it fixed before the next set of shows, but it sounds like that will be at Disneyland, so the acoustics will be different.

Yes, Disney, forgot about that.  Lots of Disney cross-promo with this show. They have the parks, Hollywood Records, Radio Disney. I could see Michael getting an acting gig from this.,

Unwatchable show due to the wussiness factor and that it seems every contestant must have a sad story.  Someone died, someone is homeless, someone is in jail, someone raised by grandparents, someone is bullied, someone just doesn't fit in.  Just sing and stop with the sap.
Aren't all these shows like that? As much about stupid backstory as the actual talent (btw- stupidest attempt at eliciting sympathy was the giant rich kid who just wished his dad would support his new hobby he knows nothing about).

I figured the jirney girl would be the front runner, in spite of her last two performances not being her best. Seems the most relevant for being a current non-country pop singer- not just gospel or show tunes type singer, which feels like always the preference for the shows audience. 

Ada can belt it out, but is America ready for a queen? 

The bowling alley kid is as safe as black as they're going to get- and he's good, even if the song choices are all over the place.

Those are my top 3, which means they're the first to go. Insane the first two didn't get the popular vote... which means they're gone.

Aren't all these shows like that? As much about stupid backstory as the actual talent (btw- stupidest attempt at eliciting sympathy was the giant rich kid who just wished his dad would support his new hobby he knows nothing about).

I figured the jirney girl would be the front runner, in spite of her last two performances not being her best. Seems the most relevant for being a current non-country pop singer- not just gospel or show tunes type singer, which feels like always the preference for the shows audience. 

Ada can belt it out, but is America ready for a queen? 

The bowling alley kid is as safe as black as they're going to get- and he's good, even if the song choices are all over the place.

Those are my top 3, which means they're the first to go. Insane the first two didn't get the popular vote... which means they're gone.
This is kind of like the Olympics shtick, when they run those awful up close and personals with the athletes, all of whom have hard luck stories, while seemingly not having to work while training for 3 luge runs every 4 years.  Yeah, you have it tough.

If you think AI is bad, try 10 minutes of the Voice, the entire country is homeless it seems.

And with Fox covering the NFL draft, wait for the 'he was raised by his grandmother' shtick.

Bumping now that they are down to five. My favorite of the remaining  Maddie. She's shown great growth and versatility, but isn't a typical Idol. Catie and Jurnee have "endorsed" her. Catie was also starting to grow on me but I think the stylists and producers zapped a lot of her personality and that hurt her more than forgetting lyrics. Gabby probably has the best shot. She's a great performer, but doesn't seem genuine. And that Pittsburgh drawl. ;)

And, Garrett's Grandma Honey died this week. :(

Mystery Achiever said:
Bumping now that they are down to five. My favorite of the remaining  Maddie. She's shown great growth and versatility, but isn't a typical Idol. Catie and Jurnee have "endorsed" her. Catie was also starting to grow on me but I think the stylists and producers zapped a lot of her personality and that hurt her more than forgetting lyrics. Gabby probably has the best shot. She's a great performer, but doesn't seem genuine. And that Pittsburgh drawl. ;)

And, Garrett's Grandma Honey died this week. :(
Wife & I disliked Catie for a couple of weeks now.. Thought most of her singing was :X and her quirkiness was more annoying for then funny.

I think Maddie and Gabby are very good. Both have great range and are able to sing different type of songs without looking like it is forced.

Cade has no range.. Every song sounds about the same, but the girls are in love which might help him for the show, but don't see a future "Rock" start there.

CW fans probably like Caleb a lot .. Just not my type of music so hard to judge.

I have no idea how the heck Michael made it this far.. But Jurnee never connected with the songs she sang and therefore the audience didn't connect with her to vote her through..

Everyone in the top five was voted through in the top six. Usually happens the same way with The Voice/Coaches Save. By the time it gets that far, I guess people have their favorites. And by now encouraging people to vote before hearing the performance, the shows exacerbate this popularity contest aspect of itI

I really liked Jurnee and didn't notice the lack of connecting, but a lot of others have said the said the same. But I also think there are still people who won't vote for a girl with a wife. I think Michael is sticking around just on likability. Agree about Cade, who I initially really liked. Wonder if Ryan outing his thing with Gabby hurt his "crush votes".

Wife & I disliked Catie for a couple of weeks now.. Thought most of her singing was :X and her quirkiness was more annoying for then funny.
Agree with you on the "quirkiness" becoming more of a distraction rather than something endearing. Her mannerisms at the end of the show waiting on the announcement of the final winner of the Top 5 was odd (to me).

Catie was becoming a distraction, like that 15-16 year old that got voted off earlier.  Everything was so dramatic (the whole Jonas thing, for example).

I haven't liked Jurnee the whole time, overrated lesbian backstory.

I find it interesting (i.e. typical hypocritical Hollywood) how we think it's cool that a recently turned 16-year old is hooked up with the 21-year old rocker.

No idea how Michael J is still in this.  I think he stinks.  Can't believe they chopped the mohawk chick in favor of this guy.

Not really sure what the draw with Maddie is.  I mean, she's alright, and I like her, but she just doesn't fit.

Guess I like the country girl the best and am rooting for her.

Glad Michael J is finally gone.

Tired of the Cade swooning.

Don't understand the Maddie love.

Was that an homage to Axl Rose from Carrie Underwood???

I thought Maddie was great. 
:goodposting: Not many can yodel, sing country, pop,rock and not sound forced/fake. I hear a little Sheryl Crow in her singing. 

But Gabby IMO is just a bit better and should win it...

I was shocked Gabby made it. I think Maddie or Caleb win it. Probably Caleb.
really :confused:

I'm not a Country music fan, but I think she has a great voice.

Or were you shocked she made it as you thought someone else would get the "popularity" vote??

I forgot how overtly non-black/diverse the AI voting public leans. I won't say racist...but tacitly...yeah, a bit 

The dyed blonde girl has great vocals- very commercial in good and bad ways. She can sing anything any style- which to me isn't a "star", but more of a background vocals or tv jingle singer. Her country twang sounds brutally fake/affected. As does her R&b style. I don't get a sense of anything distinct or from within about her, but shell probably win.

I liked the Michael kid. Weird but personal choices with his singing that I appreciate more than the girl above. Better musical instincts, even if less of a singer.

I guess that goes for the Maddie girl, who is a bit rangeless and sleepy for my liking.

Country kid has a good voice. Not a country fan, but the voice is there (as opposed to the Alfred E Newman kid who won years ago) and he seems, like Michael, like a good kid. Has a shot at winning too.

"Rocker" guy... I've never gotten. Decent guitar chops and a heard a million times bar band growl voice. I guess if he was playing in the local bar I might listen.

I forgot how overtly non-black/diverse the AI voting public leans. I won't say racist...but tacitly...yeah, a bit 

The dyed blonde girl has great vocals- very commercial in good and bad ways. She can sing anything any style- which to me isn't a "star", but more of a background vocals or tv jingle singer. Her country twang sounds brutally fake/affected. As does her R&b style. I don't get a sense of anything distinct or from within about her, but shell probably win.

I liked the Michael kid. Weird but personal choices with his singing that I appreciate more than the girl above. Better musical instincts, even if less of a singer.

I guess that goes for the Maddie girl, who is a bit rangeless and sleepy for my liking.

Country kid has a good voice. Not a country fan, but the voice is there (as opposed to the Alfred E Newman kid who won years ago) and he seems, like Michael, like a good kid. Has a shot at winning too.

"Rocker" guy... I've never gotten. Decent guitar chops and a heard a million times bar band growl voice. I guess if he was playing in the local bar I might listen.
Always love hearing the different musical tastes.. My wife and I couldn't stand Michael from day one.. His "personality"  came off as fake to us and his singing style was to "nasally" for our liking.

:hifive: Do agree on "Rocker" guy.. He has one style and all songs tend to sound the same.

Maddie, IMO, is very good... Very few "yodelers" can have the range she has... Really think she is very comparable to Sheryl Crow.

Gabby is Carrie Underwood part 2.. she is able to sound different when singing Country vs. rock vs. pop which is a rarity now days.

snogger said:
Always love hearing the different musical tastes.. My wife and I couldn't stand Michael from day one.. His "personality"  came off as fake to us and his singing style was to "nasally" for our liking.

:hifive: Do agree on "Rocker" guy.. He has one style and all songs tend to sound the same.

Maddie, IMO, is very good... Very few "yodelers" can have the range she has... Really think she is very comparable to Sheryl Crow.

Gabby is Carrie Underwood part 2.. she is able to sound different when singing Country vs. rock vs. pop which is a rarity now days.
We kept commenting that he seems to have a bit of an autism movement in him.  He seems to rock when nervous (much more early on).  I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the spectrum in some way.   We didn't take his personality as fake as much as having some sort of influence leading to the way he moved/acted.

Man they are racing through the final portion of this season.  In seasons on FOX they'd just eliminate one person per week yeah?  Not sure if I like or dislike the new way.

No commentary on the judges?  They say the same thing every time and have nothing negative to say.  I still miss Simon Cowell.  Heck, even Randy Jackson had more bite than these "judges".  

Michael J makes me cringe, but he has come a long way.

Gabby is probably the most talented next to Maddie, but has a better chance of winning I think.

Rocker and country guy are OK.

Man they are racing through the final portion of this season.  In seasons on FOX they'd just eliminate one person per week yeah?  Not sure if I like or dislike the new way.

No commentary on the judges?  They say the same thing every time and have nothing negative to say.  I still miss Simon Cowell.  Heck, even Randy Jackson had more bite than these "judges".  

Michael J makes me cringe, but he has come a long way.

Gabby is probably the most talented next to Maddie, but has a better chance of winning I think.

Rocker and country guy are OK.
You answered your own question here.  They are absolutely useless and add nothing to the show.  They might as well not have anybody in those seats. 

I have been disappointed in the judges also. They have given no real input or criticism all season.

Katie feels the need to dress up each week. Lionel says the exact same thing to everybody and Luke can't ever seem to find any words.

The fact that Katie is making $25 million and the other two are getting $12 million is astounding to me.

I have been disappointed in the judges also. They have given no real input or criticism all season.

Katie feels the need to dress up each week. Lionel says the exact same thing to everybody and Luke can't ever seem to find any words.

The fact that Katie is making $25 million and the other two are getting $12 million is astounding to me.
:lol: yeah Luke was good in the first stages of the show but has really dropped off.  And he looks like Butt-Head.

And  :shock:  to the amounts they're making.  Holy schnikees.

Agree about the judges- useless. I get the impression the producers are pulling the strings here, probably gauging popular interest for each contestant and having the judges be as unintrusive as possible. They have cards for each contestant that it looks like they read from- almost like crib sheets.

And voting before people have even hit the stage is furthering this as a popularity contest more than a singing one. It was a run.

And voting before people have even hit the stage is furthering this as a popularity contest more than a singing one. It was a run.
Don't understand the logic behind this. Last person to sing has ~5 minutes to get votes based on their performance that night.

Maddie is as authentic as Gabby is not, but not typical Idol lane. Caleb is a feel good story (lost 80 pounds since 1st audition) and closest to the typical winning demo-- Cute-ish southern WGWG. And the only guy. So, I think Gabby or Caleb could win, though I prefer Maddie.

Agree on the weak judges panel and also thought, esp. early on, that they were getting direction from producers.It was pretty comical after Katie's announcement that they were going to get tougher they were at least as soft as usual.

Agree on the weak judges panel and also thought, esp. early on, that they were getting direction from producers.It was pretty comical after Katie's announcement that they were going to get tougher they were at least as soft as usual.
They are all 3 getting paid a boat-load of money to basically fill a (producer) role. But I wonder if they are afraid of what kind of hit their own personal careers outside of AI would take IF they were to become critical and be labeled as mean or unfair (or get booed in a live concert situation). 

That makes sense, but they seem less critical than other singer judges facing the same popularity risk. The initial Paula/Simon?randy panel was probably less exposed because Paula was the only performer and IIRC wasn't that active by that point.

Was that an homage to Axl Rose from Carrie Underwood???
No comment on this?  You guys suck.

Wow, so Katie is voting for Maddie? That definitely made a statement.

My feeling is that the two country acts will probably split the vote and Maddie will win.

I will 2nd, 3rd and 4th the comments on the judges.  I do miss Simon because he would actually critique the contestants.
I told my wife that of all the replacement judges after the initial batch, my favorite was Harry.  Not really because of his judging, he just amazed me with his musical knowledge.  I have no musical or singing talent, and hearing the depth of his knowledge and what he could hear, amazed me.

And can you imagine how Harry, who took judges' objectivity so seriously would have reacted to Katie saying she's voting for Maddie? I'm rooting for Maddie, but that seems over the line.

Maddie is leading in downloads of original songs, but they don't count as votes like on The Voice, so not sure it means much.

I thought it was a nice gesture for the show to give some extra exposure to some of the singer-songwriters.

I absolutely hate the way Katie Perry HAS to be the center of whatever is going on.

Also, wife and I FFing through the finale, I don't know who BB Rexa (whatever) is, but damn that's one big ### woman!  (Can we say that here?)

I absolutely hate the way Katie Perry HAS to be the center of whatever is going on.

Also, wife and I FFing through the finale, I don't know who BB Rexa (whatever) is, but damn that's one big ### woman!  (Can we say that here?)
Agree on your KP review. Probably has something to do with her contract and why she makes almost double over the other two.

From last nights show, I'm still trying to figure out the lyrics of what Darius Rucker was singing with Caleb. It very well could be me and my hearing, but I understood all the words that Caleb sang.

I'll be the first to admit, I've never cared for these finale shows on AI. Just too much pageantry for me...up until the reveal.

I think this worked out well for Disney. The Katy contract was crazy, but it sounded like they were desperate at the time to lock in a name judge before they announced the new season.
From what I read, they improved ABC's Sunday ratings and drew comparable numbers to Dancing With... and Bachelor that run in that slot.
They got to vet a potential talent pipeline for their radio/TV/movie/music properties.I could see interest in Catie and Michael. They released Cade's and Michael's original songs today.
And they got a bonus real Disney Moment with their Top Two being a Girl Next Door and Boy Next Door who announce on-air they're dating. Awwwwwwwww. :wub:

Agree on your KP review. Probably has something to do with her contract and why she makes almost double over the other two.

From last nights show, I'm still trying to figure out the lyrics of what Darius Rucker was singing with Caleb. It very well could be me and my hearing, but I understood all the words that Caleb sang.

I'll be the first to admit, I've never cared for these finale shows on AI. Just too much pageantry for me...up until the reveal.
I fast forward through most of the performances as well.  I'm not a Rucker fan, nor a country fan, so can't help you there.

And they got a bonus real Disney Moment with their Top Two being a Girl Next Door and Boy Next Door who announce on-air they're dating. Awwwwwwwww. :wub:
Gave them both a trip to Hawaii and had Ryan imply they would be each others' +1 ... sure, they are teenagers, let's promote that.  I did like they told him "um, our parents.)

Told my wife last night though, if the same 3 judges are next season, I'm out.

Users who are viewing this thread