What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Idol - Final Season (1 Viewer)

Yeah, Katie was a mess all season and the whole thing with the Bachelorette chick was disgusting.  Wish they'd give that stuff a rest. 

There wouldn't be enough space on the stage for Katie and Harry to be judges together.

I read an interview with Maddie where she admitted one of the reasons for being quiet on the relationship was that they thought Caleb needed to appear single to get female voters. Gotta love the honesty. I do think there's a chance the producers wanted to publicize the Cade/Gabby connection to bus Cade. :tinfoilhat: They didn't Ryan was going to do that.

I saw another article after I posted where Maddie said the producers asked them that morning if it was okay for Ryan to mention the relationship, so there was at least some unequal handling. 

https://www.tmz.com/2019/01/03/former-american-idol-host-brian-dunkleman-uber-driver-divorce/

Brian Dunkleman -- the former co-host of "American Idol" -- is now making a living as an Uber driver.

Dunkleman is in the middle of a divorce with Kalea Dunkleman. He submitted financial docs -- obtained by TMZ -- disclosing his occupation as "Uber driver." He says he started the job in March 2016 and continued to this day.

Brian says he works about 45 hours a week and pulls in around $800 a week.

Dunkleman says he has $2,000 in his checking account. He pays $1,500 in rent per month and his expenses total $1,605 each month.

Brian, who co-hosted with Ryan Seacrest in season 1, says his 5-year-old son, Jackson, lives with him half the week. 

The divorce has been dragging on for more than 2 years and the former couple has been locked in a bitter custody battle. He claimed Kalea was an out-of-control alcoholic who was a danger to their son. Brian also claimed she physically abused him. She claimed Brian was physically abusive toward her and called her a "useless b***h."

https://www.tmz.com/2019/01/03/former-american-idol-host-brian-dunkleman-uber-driver-divorce/

Brian Dunkleman -- the former co-host of "American Idol" -- is now making a living as an Uber driver.

Dunkleman is in the middle of a divorce with Kalea Dunkleman. He submitted financial docs -- obtained by TMZ -- disclosing his occupation as "Uber driver." He says he started the job in March 2016 and continued to this day.

Brian says he works about 45 hours a week and pulls in around $800 a week.

Dunkleman says he has $2,000 in his checking account. He pays $1,500 in rent per month and his expenses total $1,605 each month.

Brian, who co-hosted with Ryan Seacrest in season 1, says his 5-year-old son, Jackson, lives with him half the week. 

The divorce has been dragging on for more than 2 years and the former couple has been locked in a bitter custody battle. He claimed Kalea was an out-of-control alcoholic who was a danger to their son. Brian also claimed she physically abused him. She claimed Brian was physically abusive toward her and called her a "useless b***h."
can't seacrest buy the kid or something? or maybe just buy dunkeleman?

Is 2 pounds of fentynal a lot?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-ex-american-idol-contestant-involved-cocaine-fentanyl-distribution-feds-20190213-story.html

Former “American Idol” contestant Antonella Barba faces federal drug charges after her October 2018 arrest in Norfolk, Va.

The 32-year-old New Jersey-native was involved in the distribution of cocaine, heroine, and fentanyl, according to a court document unsealed Monday in Norfolk General District Court.

this thing is back on apparently.

I got home from work late last night, and the wife and kids tell me I need to check something out. at the end of one of the audition episodes is a young guy from LA named alejandro. played two tunes- I think were his own- on guitar and then piano... this is stuff I'd actively listen to. from the first guitar strums, I was in. he has that kind of raspy indie-falsetto thing which probably won't translate to this show... but I'd seek this guy's music out right now, show or not. also seems like a genuine, humble, unassuming kind of dude- and loved that he listed trent reznor, chopin and bach as his influences.

if the rest of the show has people like this, I'dwatch. even if not- I'll probably watch just because of him. and then get pissed when he gets booted early.

eta: here's his audition

Last edited by a moderator:
he's got stuff out there- youtube, spotify, etc- as scarypoolparty.

genius move on his part auditioning here. no way he wins, but now his name is out there in a huge way- hopefully he can cash in on his obvious talents.

I got home from work late last night, and the wife and kids tell me I need to check something out. at the end of one of the audition episodes is a young guy from LA named alejandro. played two tunes- I think were his own- on guitar and then piano... this is stuff I'd actively listen to. from the first guitar strums, I was in. he has that kind of raspy indie-falsetto thing which probably won't translate to this show... but I'd seek this guy's music out right now, show or not. also seems like a genuine, humble, unassuming kind of dude- and loved that he listed trent reznor, chopin and bach as his influences.

if the rest of the show has people like this, I'dwatch. even if not- I'll probably watch just because of him. and then get pissed when he gets booted early.

He was awesome. You do wonder how he will do on the show. He is so different than some of the others, who are good singers, but some are more characters than artists.

The blind girl was very good as well

There are a couple that I have seen that are less on the character scale. The Army sergeant was good, and the big guy from the first episode was good too.

that guy was awesome.... hoping he makes it a few rounds in 

i'm watching.  been a huge fan for years.  katy perry sucks but i still watch.

that guy was awesome.... hoping he makes it a few rounds in 

i'm watching.  been a huge fan for years.  katy perry sucks but i still watch.
after that guy, I watched a little of another audition. :shrug:  more of the same as it's always been- sob-stories, decent singers, and not much to care about in terms of music (for me).

but that alejandro dude... I'll come back to watch him even though america will vote for the cute, but not too cute young boy or girl who sings well, most likely country, and doesn't offend anybody by having pigment.

I didn't see the show, but just watched his audition, and wow he is talented. 

Anyone still watching?

I've watched pretty much every season and I can honestly say this is one of the better collections of talent I've ever seen on the show.

The breathy country chick is awesome.  Alejandro is amazing.  

Good stuff.

Anyone still watching?

I've watched pretty much every season and I can honestly say this is one of the better collections of talent I've ever seen on the show.

Good stuff.
I've watched bits and pieces and I have to say....they have some really talented singers this year.  I'll probably watch more when it gets to the top 10.

ETA:  I like AI much better than The Voice.

Katy is extremely annoying.

Huge downgrade from Miranda, Mr. Bloom.
I used to love Katy Perry.  Mainly because of her looks.  But yeah she's pretty annoying.  I FF through most of the "commentary".  Love Lionel Richie's music but he doesn't offer anything.  Ditto with Luke Bryan.  I miss me some Simon Cowell.  Heck, even Randy Jackson had more to offer than this trio.

I've watched bits and pieces and I have to say....they have some really talented singers this year.  I'll probably watch more when it gets to the top 10.

I used to watch The Voice too, but have fallen off the past few seasons.  

These shows are a combo of talent and how sad your story is.  If trapped watching with wife, we try to guess the malady.  i blurt out cancer, dead relative, homeless, etc.  More often than not, i am right.

These shows are a combo of talent and how sad your story is.  If trapped watching with wife, we try to guess the malady.  i blurt out cancer, dead relative, homeless, etc.  More often than not, i am right.
Yep. Jake Puliti (one of the contestants this year) is from my hometown. Haven’t watched any of the shows, but he’s very talented. Apparently the producers told him they loved his voice, but he didn’t have a good enough story for the final 10.

Yep. Jake Puliti (one of the contestants this year) is from my hometown. Haven’t watched any of the shows, but he’s very talented. Apparently the producers told him they loved his voice, but he didn’t have a good enough story for the final 10.
They are at top 14 I think. I don't think he made it out of the "group" stage.

This is where we are at.. We watched the first Audition show and between the fawning of bad signing because of the back story, made up drama and just outright stupid crap we gave up. Once they get to the real show, the singing, then we are back in.
:popcorn:

Anyone still watching?

Good stuff.
He is so mesmerizing to watch.  He should win but he won't.  I have no doubt he will have a successful career though.  He is the only contestant I look forward to hearing.

after that guy, I watched a little of another audition. :shrug:  more of the same as it's always been- sob-stories, decent singers, and not much to care about in terms of music (for me).

but that alejandro dude... I'll come back to watch him even though america will vote for the cute, but not too cute young boy or girl who sings well, most likely country, and doesn't offend anybody by having pigment.

Gally said:
He is so mesmerizing to watch.  He should win but he won't.  I have no doubt he will have a successful career though.  He is the only contestant I look forward to hearing.

His song during the results show the other night would be a hit right now.  It might be on its way at least virally.  I don't think I've seen anyone quite as adept/unique both on guitar and piano.

They got the top-10 right for sure.  Will be a tough cut come next week.

His song during the results show the other night would be a hit right now.  It might be on its way at least virally.  I don't think I've seen anyone quite as adept/unique both on guitar and piano.

They got the top-10 right for sure.  Will be a tough cut come next week.
I disagree about getting it right. Ashley Hess should be in. I could argue that Uche or Ragu or the Harry Potter kid could have been kicked instead. I would have called Hess a top fiver.

I watched something this week. 

Still love the Alejandro kid for being genuinely original and relevant musically...but the few things I've heard- he needs some range with his vocals as it all comes across the same and not tip top vocally for a singing competition (even though I'd actually listen to him and not any of these other kids who sing "better"). I saw him singing a duet with somebody who had a similar kind of tone, but brought a lot more depth to his vocals...seemed like a good direction to go vocally and then just keep on keeping on with the fantastic songwriting.

The rest of them. :shrug:

Lol

Like everyone else, I really like Alejandro, especially the first few times I heard him.  Fantastic on both piano and guitar, extremely talented song writer too.  Sure I'm in the minority but I'm starting to feel like all of his songs sound the same.  I wouldn't want to hear an entire album, let alone concert, of the same type of song.  He's a better musician than singer, imo.  

Wade and Laci were my favorites, so it will be interesting to see what happens next week.

Madison is my favorite of the finalists.

I really soured on Alejandro in recent weeks.  I still like him, but he's a one-trick pony and I've gotten a bit bored with him.

Laine is good, but his good 'ol boy shtick is worn out.  Open your mouth when you talk, boy.  I bet a friend of mine dinner several weeks ago that Laine would win (WGWG) and she took Madison, but I still hope Madison wins.

Like everyone else, I really like Alejandro, especially the first few times I heard him.  Fantastic on both piano and guitar, extremely talented song writer too.  Sure I'm in the minority but I'm starting to feel like all of his songs sound the same.  I wouldn't want to hear an entire album, let alone concert, of the same type of song.  He's a better musician than singer, imo.  
I watched some of this week... genuinely surprised all the blonde cute country girls are gone.

also surprised there are darker skinned people left- given the judges reactions this week, the must've been pimping alejandro really hard. 

I'm with Jayrok- I really like alejandro, and dig the music he creates... will be interesting to see what kind of album he can produce outside of this. my wife was incredulous that there's been a genre that includes his type of music as I've been telling her- so it was and wasn't shocking to see twin shadow pop up as a friend/role-model. that breathy falsetto indie/r&b singer-songwriter thing has been happening- and while alejandro doesn't really fit in with AI, he does with that.

and like Jayrok- his singing lacks the range to be truly interesting within the context of a so-called singing competition. both ben harper and twin shadow have another gear and range they can go to that alejandro just doesn't have yet. but it's been interesting see some growth from him in that regard.

I do think he's best as a song-writer doing guest spots with other artists until he develops a bit more voice. I really dig his musical chops and sensibilities in a way that I haven't for a single AI performer I've ever seen; his music and take on things is more like stuff I actually like and listen to than any other contestant. he really shouldn't win this thing.

the fat guy and the blonde girl- both good, but both will do stuff that feels niche (like alejandro) and not at all interesting to me. tbh- they feel a dime a dozen

the good looking kid- I think he's still in it- will probably win. ok voice, boring and safe musical tastes... it's what the voters usually like. would be cool to see an asian kid win though (he's part asian, right?) , even if whatever music he makes will go straight on the "remember that guy?" pile.

that ny hs girl should win though. my wife called it the first time she saw her audition... that girl can sang. and in ways that translates both for the show and for pop-music in general. can belt, has huge range and control and seems to have good instincts on how and when to do what ... might lack a little connection to what she's singing, but I think she's still super young, so should be able to grow that skill. feels like a legitimate future superstar in a similar way to the top AI winners... underwood and clarkson. 

I also think Madison should win this year.  She really can sing.  But they'll probably vote Alejandro or the young girls will overwhelm the phones and vote the other guy.  

Wade and Laci were my favorites, so it will be interesting to see what happens next week.

Madison is my favorite of the finalists.

I really soured on Alejandro in recent weeks.  I still like him, but he's a one-trick pony and I've gotten a bit bored with him.

Laine is good, but his good 'ol boy shtick is worn out.  Open your mouth when you talk, boy.  I bet a friend of mine dinner several weeks ago that Laine would win (WGWG) and she took Madison, but I still hope Madison wins.
Well at least I won dinner.

Another idol winner that we'll probably never hear from again after the initial release of his first single.  
My feelings exactly after once Madison was eliminated.
I know many here liked Alejandro, but listening to him "whisper" every song gets old..
No way I could put on one of his CD's and last to the end without taking a nap. :yawn:  

Another idol winner that we'll probably never hear from again after the initial release of his first single.  
Exactly. Remember all those guys that won previously? No. Nobody does. It's a product of who votes- young girls and old ladies. And they love their boring guys...even though I'll admit this one is dreamy

My feelings exactly after once Madison was eliminated.
I know many here liked Alejandro, but listening to him "whisper" every song gets old..
No way I could put on one of his CD's and last to the end without taking a nap. :yawn:  
I'm a big fan of his and I completely agree.

But give him a good producer and some voice lessons to help broaden the scope and range, and/or add a bunch of guest vocalists, and this kid is a superstar.

But from the beginning, the NY girl was the only one with a genuine AI style pop career ahead of her. Not winning probably won't get in the way of that.

I thought it would be interesting to see Simon on this season.  Lionel was the only one that I saw give some constructive feedback to and he loved everybody..  EVERYBODY.  The other two were "I love you, you are great!" and the country guy saying "I'm not worthy to judge you... just phenomenal."  

Then why are you judging?  I'd think that Simon would be real with some of those contestants.  "Alejandro, look... you are a brilliant musician and a good songwriter. But your performance leaves a lot to be desired.  You have to work on your stage presence.  Sorry."  Then Katy would be like P. Abdul and say "Don't listen to him, he's cranky all the time... you're the best contestant the show has ever seen... YAY, look at me!"  

Exactly. Remember all those guys that won previously? No. Nobody does. It's a product of who votes- young girls and old ladies. And they love their boring guys...even though I'll admit this one is dreamy
And the guys that did (and still are) make runs at a decent career are those that didn't win.  Lambert, Chris Daughtry, Clay Aiken.  Whatever happened to Taylor Hicks?

And the guys that did (and still are) make runs at a decent career are those that didn't win.  Lambert, Chris Daughtry, Clay Aiken.  Whatever happened to Taylor Hicks?
Phillip Phillips won and he was a WGWG.  He's been pretty successful.  :shrug:

I thought it would be interesting to see Simon on this season.  Lionel was the only one that I saw give some constructive feedback to and he loved everybody..  EVERYBODY.  The other two were "I love you, you are great!" and the country guy saying "I'm not worthy to judge you... just phenomenal."  

Then why are you judging?  I'd think that Simon would be real with some of those contestants.  "Alejandro, look... you are a brilliant musician and a good songwriter. But your performance leaves a lot to be desired.  You have to work on your stage presence.  Sorry."  Then Katy would be like P. Abdul and say "Don't listen to him, he's cranky all the time... you're the best contestant the show has ever seen... YAY, look at me!"  
So true.

It needed him or somebody else to say some obviously negative stuff for a couple of reasons. Uno- people voting on this are dim...without any guidance it will always be lowest common denominator. B- the contestants need direction to help their approach. Madison needed somebody to tell her she needed to connect to the songs better and get a makeover. Alejandro needed range- in songwriting and vocals. The other kid...needed somebody to say he's boring. dunno. 

So true.

It needed him or somebody else to say some obviously negative stuff for a couple of reasons. Uno- people voting on this are dim...without any guidance it will always be lowest common denominator. B- the contestants need direction to help their approach. Madison needed somebody to tell her she needed to connect to the songs better and get a makeover. Alejandro needed range- in songwriting and vocals. The other kid...needed somebody to say he's boring. dunno. 
The judges have been the biggest reason not to watch the show.  Without Simon they basically are puppets to prop up everyone to make them feel good.  There is no real feedback.  The wife has ended up just fast forwarding through all of the comments.  On the bright side it makes an hour show end up to be about 10 minutes of viewing. 

Jayrok said:
Taylor Hicks got screwed by the producers who tried to force him to be a Pop star.. He never was, nor was he ever going to be and they were idiots for trying to force him to be. :thumbdown:  

He was one of those that enters the category of "Have to see him live to enjoy" artists. 

Users who are viewing this thread