What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Cowboys Offseason Thread. 4th pick overall (1 Viewer)

Bankerguy

Footballguy
Time to kill the other thread and everything related to that craptastic season.

Post your draft thoughts, rumors etc here.

I am just re stating team needs and things I would like to see.

Gone:

Hardy

Carr

Cassell

Possibly Claiborne

Draft Needs

RB. McFadden is a JAG. Need to be more dynamic and be able to POUND the rock.

1 tech. With another contributor on the Dline...it could do wonders for our improving DLINE

CB. Carr sucks, Hopefully Scandrick returns. Jones looks like a safety to me. Not sure Claiborne is back unless on the cheap.

WR. If there are ANY questions about Dez's foot and the inconsistent Williams and the limited but loveable BEASTLY, need a play maker with speed.

QB. I am just not sure about a first round QB unless they are a stud. Going to start really watching the top 3 guys and forming an opinion.

Safety. I think Jones plays here, but we are terrible here.

TE. Don't laugh. Witten is a dinosaur and beyond slow.

Glad to see us coaching the North team to get up close to the top prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems when dallas spends an early pick on a CB they never end up being that good it seems. So I want corners! Not sure one is worthy of the 4th pick tho. Any other year it seems to be....

I am just re stating team needs and things I would like to see.

Gone:

Hardy

Carr

Cassell

Possibly Claiborne

Draft Needs

RB. McFadden is a JAG. Need to be more dynamic and be able to POUND the rock.

1 tech. With another contributor on the Dline...it could do wonders for our improving DLINE

CB. Carr sucks, Hopefully Scandrick returns. Jones looks like a safety to me. Not sure Claiborne is back unless on the cheap.

WR. If there are ANY questions about Dez's foot and the inconsistent Williams and the limited but loveable BEASTLY, need a play maker with speed.

QB. I am just not sure about a first round QB unless they are a stud. Going to start really watching the top 3 guys and forming an opinion.

Safety. I think Jones plays here, but we are terrible here.

TE. Don't laugh. Witten is a dinosaur and beyond slow.

Glad to see us coaching the North team to get up close to the top prospects.
claiborne i'd keep fi the price is right

Gone:

Hardy - i'd be okay with keeping hardy, yes off field issues are not good, disruptive, but he was also disruptive on the field, our window with romo is small, need to take the advantage for another year.

Carr - go away

Cassell - go away

Possibly Claiborne - willig to keep for right price

Draft Needs

RB. agree, would like a RB, but i'm more a fan of the 3-4th round for this need.

WR. Also was saying jsut this to my friend, another solid WR would be steller, but not our top need, 3-4 round probably.

QB i agree time to look for the understudy.

Safety. we need a safttyyy so bad!

TE. agreed, but dont think its that important, we could get bye with a blocking TE.

Also i'd like to raise some questoins about garett, I'm concern that he went 0-7 with this roaster after romos first injury, several of those games where winnable, and while its not 100% his fault, he is not without blame. I feel he is not using several players to their potential.

No one has done less with more. The lack of imagination and adjustments is staggeringly bad. I like Garrett the man, but there are some short comings there as HC.

Jerry won't get rid of the hand clapper. I don't want a QB in the 1st. Hoping we address safety(Berry) and TE(Allen) in FA. I know Allen has had some injuries but I feel he brings a lot to the table.

If there's a franchise QB that emerges I expect Dallas to aggressively trade up and get it done. Otherwise I expect a flier on RG3 and to fill other needs. Defense seems like the wrong direction but typically is BPA over a DB, WR, or RB this high in the draft. A DL is always in play but again this feels like a year to overreact to offensive skill position needs. Would we also potentially trade down? I do think WR or TE is a priority ... especially with Escobar hurt and not really emerging. We need another playmaker. RB will sort itself out perhaps a guy like Forte or Lamar Miller will be available.

Need QB2 (QB1 for future), RB1, WR2, TE1, DE, S, CB

QB: We all know Billy Vegas is coming to town, but I'd still snag Wentz in the 2nd, if available. There isn't anything else in this draft class past Wentz worth considering as a viable backup/heir to Romo.

RB: Could trade down to get Elliott. If picks ahead of us go Tunsil, Goff, Bosa, I could make an argument for reaching on Elliott, but they won't do that, so Zeke is a Cowboy only if they trade down ~10 spots. FA RB options I'd consider include Miller and CJA. Miller was completely mishandled in MIA and would look fantastic running behind this line. Anderson needs a good line in front to be effective, doesn't have much imagination/skill to manipulate around broken down lanes, but...has really good pop and I could see doing infinitely better with this team over most others. I see all this talk of Forte, and I honestly don't get it. Not one bit.

WR: Again, assuming Tunsil, Goff, Bosa are gone, I'd jump all over Treadwell at 4 to go opposite Dez. I'm so done with Terrance Williams, and the crop of FA WRs is pretty ugly outside of Marvin Jones, Rishard Matthews, Aiken, none of whom I'd be all that thrilled with TBH. Treadwell is a beast and would make this offense instantly better.

TE: Ladarius Green is going to cost too much in FA. Perhaps Fleener. Living in SC now, I was subjected to more than my share of Gamecocks football, which was unfortunate, but Jerrell Adams is a guy to consider as a Saturday selection. He was one of the very few bright spots on that otherwise putrid team.

As always I want a defensive player in round 1. I'd like to pick the BPA and hope to land 2-3 RBs.

Draft:

Needs in order are:

Corner

Safety

RB

WR

QB

FA:

Sign Lamar Miller the moment he hits FA

Offer contracts to:

Bruce Irvin

C. West (RB KC)

Eric Berry

Nick Perry

Eric Weddle

DeMario Davis

Josh Norman

Travis Benjamin

Rishard Matthews

Bring in Johnny

Offer Kirk Cousins a redonkulous contract so Washington is forced to Franchise and/or overpay.

Need QB2 (QB1 for future), RB1, WR2, TE1, DE, S, CB

QB: We all know Billy Vegas is coming to town, but I'd still snag Wentz in the 2nd, if available. There isn't anything else in this draft class past Wentz worth considering as a viable backup/heir to Romo.

RB: Could trade down to get Elliott. If picks ahead of us go Tunsil, Goff, Bosa, I could make an argument for reaching on Elliott, but they won't do that, so Zeke is a Cowboy only if they trade down ~10 spots. FA RB options I'd consider include Miller and CJA. Miller was completely mishandled in MIA and would look fantastic running behind this line. Anderson needs a good line in front to be effective, doesn't have much imagination/skill to manipulate around broken down lanes, but...has really good pop and I could see doing infinitely better with this team over most others. I see all this talk of Forte, and I honestly don't get it. Not one bit.

WR: Again, assuming Tunsil, Goff, Bosa are gone, I'd jump all over Treadwell at 4 to go opposite Dez. I'm so done with Terrance Williams, and the crop of FA WRs is pretty ugly outside of Marvin Jones, Rishard Matthews, Aiken, none of whom I'd be all that thrilled with TBH. Treadwell is a beast and would make this offense instantly better.

TE: Ladarius Green is going to cost too much in FA. Perhaps Fleener. Living in SC now, I was subjected to more than my share of Gamecocks football, which was unfortunate, but Jerrell Adams is a guy to consider as a Saturday selection. He was one of the very few bright spots on that otherwise putrid team.
In general, I really like the idea of trading down as I haven't fallen in love with any prospect yet.

As always I want a defensive player in round 1. I'd like to pick the BPA and hope to land 2-3 RBs.

Draft:

Needs in order are:

Corner

Safety

RB

WR

QB

FA:

Sign Lamar Miller the moment he hits FA

Offer contracts to:

Bruce Irvin

C. West (RB KC)

Eric Berry

Nick Perry

Eric Weddle

DeMario Davis

Josh Norman

Travis Benjamin

Rishard Matthews

Bring in Johnny

Offer Kirk Cousins a redonkulous contract so Washington is forced to Franchise and/or overpay.
Good post. Although, I don't think some of those FA's actually even hit the open market.

Unless there is a can't miss, going to help us right away player available when the Cowboys pick in the first round, they probably need to address the back-up/future QB position, if a guy they covet is there when they pick. If the Cowboys can't get a Qb before Romo retires, they could end up in a similar boat as the Texans with a good team but no QB to take them to the next level. Since the Texans decided not to draft a QB with a high pick two years ago, they have been playing with a bunch of back-ups starting. Makes it hard to win more than 9 games.

I don't want Johnny in Dallas and I want Hardy gone. Can we have a quiet off-season? I would prefer signing RGIII and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

I don't want Johnny in Dallas and I want Hardy gone. Can we have a quiet off-season? I would prefer signing RGIII and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.
I can't get behind signing an injury-prone QB to back up an injury-prone QB.

I can't get behind signing an injury-prone QB to back up an injury-prone QB.
i'm toren between a prefrence on johnny or RGiii, where RGiii has a great deep ball, he dosnt have much else after the injury, they never developed him and just abused his speed, so he has tons of holes in pocket QB play, however I think he has been humbled by being benched and would be more willing to listen/learn now, still has physical gifts to hit all the throws on the field though.

johnny on the other hand, dosnt have the same physical gifts as RGiii, and looks like hes really starting to try and focus.. if the price is right he could learn alot behind romo and develop but would need to mature fast as dallas is a very hard place to be the QB, you will get alot of heat i'm not to sure if he would be able to handle it.

i havent looked too much into the draft class, but i'd be fine with trading down if a solid QB prospect isnt there.

Unless there is a can't miss, going to help us right away player available when the Cowboys pick in the first round, they probably need to address the back-up/future QB position, if a guy they covet is there when they pick. If the Cowboys can't get a Qb before Romo retires, they could end up in a similar boat as the Texans with a good team but no QB to take them to the next level. Since the Texans decided not to draft a QB with a high pick two years ago, they have been playing with a bunch of back-ups starting. Makes it hard to win more than 9 games.
Exactly. Romo only has a few years left. Aaron Rodgers didn't come in right away, he back upped Favre which allowed him to learn. I don't care between Lynch or Goff but it's a no brainier to get one of them. We can't win a Super Bowl with a Hoyer/McCown/Fitzpatrick at QB. And it might be another 25 years before we get a chance to get the first or second best QB off the board.

While Garrett does have some culpability for this seasons performance, I'm not sure what else he could have done other than pushing harder to get a better backup QB during the offseason.

Besides Romo, Dez played hurt and ended up on IR and had another surgery. Losing Scandrick was huge. Dunbar was missed on 3rd downs. Hardy was not that good. The defense wasn't able to force turnovers. The line was not nearly as good after losing Callahan. Special teams continues to be a liability other than Bailey.

The fact that the best teams in the NFL have the most stability in the coaching staff is something to consider. Even guys like Carroll and Belichick were fired by previous teams and have shown they weren't the problem. It takes time for coaches to mold teams in their image. Garrett and Stephen Jones have been doing a good job of fixing the problems Jerry created, with the Hardy signing the lone exception imo.

While Garrett does have some culpability for this seasons performance, I'm not sure what else he could have done other than pushing harder to get a better backup QB during the offseason.

Besides Romo, Dez played hurt and ended up on IR and had another surgery. Losing Scandrick was huge. Dunbar was missed on 3rd downs. Hardy was not that good. The defense wasn't able to force turnovers. The line was not nearly as good after losing Callahan. Special teams continues to be a liability other than Bailey.

The fact that the best teams in the NFL have the most stability in the coaching staff is something to consider. Even guys like Carroll and Belichick were fired by previous teams and have shown they weren't the problem. It takes time for coaches to mold teams in their image. Garrett and Stephen Jones have been doing a good job of fixing the problems Jerry created, with the Hardy signing the lone exception imo.
Clapping, more clapping, harder clapping.

CR69 said:
The fact that the best teams in the NFL have the most stability in the coaching staff is something to consider.
Really big correlation/causation problem with this argument.

Hate to say it but the Cowboys will probably be very good next year. Weak division, and they were a 12 win team last year with the main difference being the loss of Romo. And now they get a top 5 pick - teams like this tend to excel after one year down.

Hate to say it but the Cowboys will probably be very good next year. Weak division, and they were a 12 win team last year with the main difference being the loss of Romo. And now they get a top 5 pick - teams like this tend to excel after one year down.
Not to mention they get the 4th place schedule.

Next year will be all about how well they can handle internal pressures, from the decision-making top, down the players on the field. For the reasons you guys mentioned, they SHOULD be good next year but they also know this window has begun to slide down. It is truly now or never in Dallas next year and that makes some guys crack.

I don't think Romo will crack under pressure but I can see the team making panic/big splash signings and things like that which will actually not help the team. I can see the finger pointing being a little quicker, a little more straight to the punch. This team will have to being emotionally steady next year and have patience and those are two things I haven't seen a lot from the Cowboys in a long time.

Overconfidence shouldn't be a problem. They have a full season of games that show how good they are w/o Romo.

Besides.... In case you haven't heard, the Redskins have the most promising future in the division. :mellow:

Shutout said:
tangfoot said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Next year will be all about how well they can handle internal pressures, from the decision-making top, down the players on the field. For the reasons you guys mentioned, they SHOULD be good next year but they also know this window has begun to slide down. It is truly now or never in Dallas next year and that makes some guys crack.

I don't think Romo will crack under pressure but I can see the team making panic/big splash signings and things like that which will actually not help the team. I can see the finger pointing being a little quicker, a little more straight to the punch. This team will have to being emotionally steady next year and have patience and those are two things I haven't seen a lot from the Cowboys in a long time.
We have a cupcake schedule and the entire coaching staff should be turfed if we don't run away with the East.

He looks pretty decent to me. At present, my fav QB prospect. What his draft spot value is...that is debatable.
Exactly. I wanted him over all, but in the second round or at least a move up/down to the late first. No chance they take Wentz at 4. What I'm reacting to is his stock is obviously skyrocketing which is bad for us.

He looks pretty decent to me. At present, my fav QB prospect. What his draft spot value is...that is debatable.
Exactly. I wanted him over all, but in the second round or at least a move up/down to the late first. No chance they take Wentz at 4. What I'm reacting to is his stock is obviously skyrocketing which is bad for us.
Not so sure he is actually sky rocketing. It's moreso the gap between casual fans and draftniks opinions of players to actual teams and scouts perceptions.

I have read recently there a couple scouts ranking Wentz # 1.

Not so sure he is actually sky rocketing. It's moreso the gap between casual fans and draftniks opinions of players to actual teams and scouts perceptions.

I have read recently there a couple scouts ranking Wentz # 1.
I don't disagree. Seen the same, but it strikes me as click-bait. Overwhelming opinion seems more in line with Ian Wharton, who had this to say today on Twitter:

Lynch by almost a full round [over Wentz]. Both are guys that I like long-term as average to above average starters

A few thoughts as I check things out more...

-Tunsil is great, but no chance he is a Cowboy. No where to play him and you cant have 4 first rounders on the Oline

-I am convinced Cleveland takes a QB

-Buckner who has been mocked to us is NOT a scheme fit. Trust me here. He is a 5 technique in the pro's. Going to a 3-4 team. Not us.

-Bosa is a talent, but I don't see uber elite. I see a young Jared Allen, which is really good, but not JJ Watt here.

-Myles Jack is awesome too, but he seems to get swallowed up by Linemen in many plays I have watched.

-The DB's are intriguing, but none seem like value at 4.

-Love Treadwell, but he is too similar to Dez for me.

-I am the mind set the team hopes for a fall to one of Goff, Wentz or Lynch and maybe come up from the second to get him.

-Favor a trade down right now...hope Bosa is there for value.

-Sweet spot of the draft is 6-10....imo

Right now after a small trade down....I am going running back with EE.

LOL-This will likely change a few times.

If they are smart, they take Wentz. They won't get a better shot at a franchise QB. They are better than the 4th overall pick they are sitting at. He will be able to step right in when Romo gets KO'ed again.

This is the first time that I can remember not actually knowing any of the quarterbacks coming out. As in I've never even heard these names mentioned in the past two years.

Also - when is all the vitriol that Romo has taken over the years going to get thrown a Carson Palmer ? He's a former number one number one who has a career playoff record of 1-3 and has looked absolutely horrid in everyone of those playoff games.

I don't understand those who say the Cowboys shouldn't draft Treadwell because he is too similar to Dez. How can that possibly be a bad thing? Dez can do it all at WR. Get the first down, go over the middle, stretch the defense and play in the slot. Not sure I see the problem with getting another WR just like him.

Treadwell is my pick at #4, followed by Jack. I understand if they take Wentz though and won't complain too much. It's a tough balance between trying to get an impact player for another run or two while Romo is still playing versus building for the future.

On Houston sports talk yesterday, there was talk about whether Arian Foster, if he is cut by the Texans (which I think is likely) would get signed by the Cowboys. If his contract wasn't too big, would you guys be in favor of that?

Personally, I wouldn't because of his injury history, but if he did happen to be healthy, he would look great behind that O-line.

On Houston sports talk yesterday, there was talk about whether Arian Foster, if he is cut by the Texans (which I think is likely) would get signed by the Cowboys. If his contract wasn't too big, would you guys be in favor of that?

Personally, I wouldn't because of his injury history, but if he did happen to be healthy, he would look great behind that O-line.
I say no, it's a young mans position.

I don't understand those who say the Cowboys shouldn't draft Treadwell because he is too similar to Dez. How can that possibly be a bad thing? Dez can do it all at WR. Get the first down, go over the middle, stretch the defense and play in the slot. Not sure I see the problem with getting another WR just like him.

Treadwell is my pick at #4, followed by Jack. I understand if they take Wentz though and won't complain too much. It's a tough balance between trying to get an impact player for another run or two while Romo is still playing versus building for the future.
...simply because I think while Dez is a monster in the Red Zone and on 50/50 balls. He still does not beat double teams consistently and his route running while improving, is still not elite imo. I don't love taking a WR at 4 for value and because more ideal scheme fits can be found in the 2nd to 4th rounds and we just re-did 88s contract. Where as you are NOT going to find the same talent at premier positions in these later rounds (DE, CB and QB). This is my personal rationale.

and yes, I realize I just mocked us a RB as well, but it's early.

I want WR addressed urgently, but not at 4 and despite the fact I also LOVE Treadwell. Just 1 guys opinion.

NEVER take a WR in round 1. I don't care about recent trends, most WRs don't break out for 3 years, blow up and then go sign somewhere else for big $ or cost you big $.

Let some other team develope a WR.

Defense, defense, defense.

NEVER take a WR in round 1. I don't care about recent trends, most WRs don't break out for 3 years, blow up and then go sign somewhere else for big $ or cost you big $.

You have any data to back up this hypothesis or are you just making it up? If I recall, Doug Drinen had a stat to look at progression of rookies, and only LBs were strong on D. Otherwise DL and CB struggle as a group. So, if you have more than anecdotes or personal impressions, it would be helpful to see data in support of this notion.

The recent trends are what they are because of the proliferation of passing in colleges and pro style offenses, WR's are coming into the NFL more ready to contribute right away.

Not saying the Cowboys should take a WR in the 1st, but I think your 3 year rule is becoming outdated (Beckham, Evans, Hopkins)

Users who are viewing this thread