dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** 2016 and beyond Washington Redskins Thread

2,617 posts in this topic

As a gauge of what other teams think of Jim Haslett as a DC, he was a DC this year for no one. And he just signed with the Bengals, as an LB coach. Man I'm glad he's gone.

Dates

East-West Shrine Game: Jan. 23
Senior Bowl: Jan. 30 (Senior Bowl practices Jan. 26-28)
NFL Scouting Combine: Feb. 23-29
Franchise/Transition tag deadline: March 7 (window opens on Feb. 22)
NFL free agency: March 15 (negotiation window for unrestricted free agents begins March 12)
NFL annual league meeting: March 20-23
NFL offseason workouts: April 18 (April 4 for teams with new head coaches)
NFL Draft: April 28-30

1 person likes this

Draft picks

Round 1 (21st overall)
Round 2 (22nd pick, 53rd overall)
Round 3 (21st pick, 84th overall)
Round 4 (22nd pick, 117th overall)
Round 5 (21st pick, 149th overall)
Round 6 (12th pick, 171st overall, from New Orleans)
Round 7 (9th pick, 200th overall, from Tampa Bay)
Round 7 (21st pick, 244th overall)

(The overall pick number doesn’t yet account for compensatory picks. There are 31 picks in the first round because New England forfeits its pick for DeflateGate. Washington traded its sixth-round pick to Tampa Bay for Dashon Goldson. )

McCloughan's first year was a good one.

Good article.

Hampered by depth issues for years, the Redskins overcame season-ending injuries to 16 players, including seven starters, along with other shorter injury absences and finished the regular season with a four-game winning streak. Handicapped by inadequate drafts in the past, Washington this season selected four legitimate long-term contributors in guard Brandon Scherff, outside linebacker Preston Smith, running back Matt Jones and wide receiver Jamison Crowder.

I think Jarrett's pretty good as well.

The most interesting decisions are on Mason Foster and Will Blackmon. The Redskins will try to re-sign both, but they could be lured away for more money or playing time. Blackman is mostly a journeyman, but had decent success here. He got a lot of playing time due to Culliver's injury. But he really is more of a nickel or 4th CB and paid near the NFL minimum. If someone wants to overpay, Blackman could easily go elsewhere.

Mason Foster is younger and has more upside. So his valuation is a little harder to figure out. He slots in as marginal starter for the Redskins, in the mix with Compton, Riley, and Robinson.

I think Blackmon filled in well this year in a decimated secondary, but with Culliver and Jarrett back next year there's just no need for him. For most of the Green Bay game I kept thinking "who is that secondary guy, he's incredibly slow" and it was Blackmon.

The radio guys (Cooley, Galdi, Czaban) keep talking about Keenan Robinson as though he's a goner. In 2014 he was one of their best defenders. I don't think he suddenly turned to poop; I think injury had something to do with his play this year before he was out entirely.

I'd hate to see Foster go. He always knew where the play was going it seemed, just like Compton did. To me he's better than Riley.

I disagree on Blackmon, as a 3rd or 4th CB he's fine, just don't want to rely on him as a 1st or 2nd.

The most interesting decisions are on Mason Foster and Will Blackmon. The Redskins will try to re-sign both, but they could be lured away for more money or playing time. Blackman is mostly a journeyman, but had decent success here. He got a lot of playing time due to Culliver's injury. But he really is more of a nickel or 4th CB and paid near the NFL minimum. If someone wants to overpay, Blackman could easily go elsewhere.

Mason Foster is younger and has more upside. So his valuation is a little harder to figure out. He slots in as marginal starter for the Redskins, in the mix with Compton, Riley, and Robinson.

I think Blackmon filled in well this year in a decimated secondary, but with Culliver and Jarrett back next year there's just no need for him. For most of the Green Bay game I kept thinking "who is that secondary guy, he's incredibly slow" and it was Blackmon.

The radio guys (Cooley, Galdi, Czaban) keep talking about Keenan Robinson as though he's a goner. In 2014 he was one of their best defenders. I don't think he suddenly turned to poop; I think injury had something to do with his play this year before he was out entirely.

I'd hate to see Foster go. He always knew where the play was going it seemed, just like Compton did. To me he's better than Riley.

I disagree on Blackmon, as a 3rd or 4th CB he's fine, just don't want to rely on him as a 1st or 2nd.

My basic thought on personnel in the salary cap era: the key is to sign players that provide good value relative to their salary/cap space. But you still need to treat players fairly and not be cheap.

So if you sign Blackmon to a veteran minimum (maybe $985k for a 10 year vet, but only count $600k on the salary cap) could be a good value for a backup CB behind Breeland and Culliver. This assumes Jarrett stays as the nickel CB even with an injury. Otherwise, Blackmon would be the 4th CB. If they think Dunbar has surpassed Blackmon, then he could be fighting a draft pick or UDFA to be the 5th CB.

If it requires $2M a year to sign Blackmon, then they should move on to someone else.

Scot McCloughan’s Draft History

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/washington-redskins-breaking-scot-mccloughans-draft-history-2-0/

But prior to Matt Jones, McCloughan drafted five players from Florida. Urban Meyer tie. Expect him to draft from Ohio State more now.

McCloughan teams have drafted more kickers and punters (5) than centers (4). #Redskins

Could a a little discussed part of the Redskins emerging success be the hiring of quality position coaches.

Greg Manusky hired as linebackers coach -- a position that was vacant this year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/greg-manusky-to-join-washington-as-linebackers-coach/

Colt McCoy on the importance of Matt Cavanaugh as QB coach this year -- a position that was vacant last year:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/13/colt-mccoy-redskins-kirk-cousins-matt-cavanaugh/

It seems that Manusky and Cavangaugh are quality hires on the position coach level...providing expertise in the trenches and freeing up Gruden and Barry for more high level strategic planning. Hopefully this is part of a larger culture change to infuse quality in every nook and cranny of the organization.

1 person likes this

I like the Manusky hire. He's got some experience as a former player and DC. Love when we get position coaches that were former HCs or coordinators.

1 person likes this

I like the Manusky hire. He's got some experience as a former player and DC. Love when we get position coaches that were former HCs or coordinators.

Yeah, he's a Shottenheimer guy and I think he knows defense pretty well. Liked him as a player as well..

Could a a little discussed part of the Redskins emerging success be the hiring of quality position coaches.

Greg Manusky hired as linebackers coach -- a position that was vacant this year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/greg-manusky-to-join-washington-as-linebackers-coach/

Colt McCoy on the importance of Matt Cavanaugh as QB coach this year -- a position that was vacant last year:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jan/13/colt-mccoy-redskins-kirk-cousins-matt-cavanaugh/

It seems that Manusky and Cavangaugh are quality hires on the position coach level...providing expertise in the trenches and freeing up Gruden and Barry for more high level strategic planning. Hopefully this is part of a larger culture change to infuse quality in every nook and cranny of the organization.

I may be off but I give most of the credit for hiring/structuring like this to McCloughan.

1 person likes this

I may be off but I give most of the credit for hiring/structuring like this to McCloughan.

Probably. I've heard reports that "they" told Gruden last offseason to delegate more. Would make sense that hiring more assistants, especially a QB coach, would have been part of that.

Kirk Olivadotti was the LB coach this past year.

http://www.redskins.com/team/coaches.html

Manusky's going to be the OLB coach, and Olivadotti's going to be the ILB coach. Since the ILB's improved greatly this year and the OLB's declined that may be a good decision (assuming the personalities and strategies mesh).

Edited by fatness

Probably. I've heard reports that "they" told Gruden last offseason to delegate more. Would make sense that hiring more assistants, especially a QB coach, would have been part of that.

I heard the same reports, and have always been under the impression that adding the WB and OL coaches was not his decision, while hiring the DC was his decision.

Cavanaugh and Callahan worked out well so I can't argue with the results.

It would sure as hell upgrade the O-line. I think fans of the Skins (and media guys covering the Skins) consistently overrate Lichtensteiger (relative to centers on other teams). From that artice:

. For his career, Mack ranked in the Top 10 of the league every year except 2015, and ranked as the top center in the league in 2013. The Redskins run game game struggled throughout 2015, and adding Mack to a group with Trent Williams and Scherff could give the Redskins a dominant, physical line that McCloughan has said he wants. Pro Football Focus ranked Lichtensteiger 36th out of 40 centers.

It would sure as hell upgrade the O-line. I think fans of the Skins (and media guys covering the Skins) consistently overrate Lichtensteiger (relative to centers on other teams). From that artice:

. For his career, Mack ranked in the Top 10 of the league every year except 2015, and ranked as the top center in the league in 2013. The Redskins run game game struggled throughout 2015, and adding Mack to a group with Trent Williams and Scherff could give the Redskins a dominant, physical line that McCloughan has said he wants. Pro Football Focus ranked Lichtensteiger 36th out of 40 centers.

On a related note, how is it that the Browns have such excellent offensive lineman but still suck. They have Joe Thomas as well, and that dude is supposed to be excellent! Redskins fans would have loved to have those two guys over the years...

On a related note, how is it that the Browns have such excellent offensive lineman but still suck. They have Joe Thomas as well, and that dude is supposed to be excellent! Redskins fans would have loved to have those two guys over the years...

IIRC, last year the Browns started off strongly. Not only were they in the thick of the AFC North race, but their running game was firing on all cylinders. Then Mack got hurt and it went off a cliff. Not sure what happened this year.

(Of course, I could just give you the four-word answer: Because they're the Browns)

Whoever it is, I definitely think we'll see at least one starting-caliber OL brought in during FA. It would make sense if that person was either C or LG.

Whoever it is, I definitely think we'll see at least one starting-caliber OL brought in during FA. It would make sense if that person was either C or LG.

I'd like one brought in and would really like 2 brought in. They don't need skill position players on offense nearly as much as they need a solid line that can run block (which they sucked at) and pass block (which they were good at).

I'd just like to say, my back hurts and my entire body is sore. Enough already.

2 people like this

Lichtenteiger was very good a few years ago but he's really fallen off. The past couple of years in particular.

Lichtenteiger was very good a few years ago but he's really fallen off. The past couple of years in particular.

When things go well, everyone looks better.

Another position coach, Perry Fewell, should not be overlooked. The secondary had a lot of injuries and they fared pretty well. Imagine if they got healthy and got some real safeties.

1 person likes this

Mack is a big upgrade. But McCloughan is definitely a build through the draft GM. He publicly said he was taught to not go after free agents, but he would do it selectively with the Redskins. I doubt he will go after any big name free agents.

Dude I am right there with you. We got 3 feet, my driveway is too long, and I am too old. ?

Dude I am right there with you. We got 3 feet, my driveway is too long, and I am too old.

The dig out is complete!

Dude I am right there with you. We got 3 feet, my driveway is too long, and I am too old.

Same here, too old, can't shovel like an MF like I used to. Fortunately an enterprising young person came along when I was heading back inside, asked to borrow my shovel to go shovel people out for $$ and I said "you have come to the right spot." We park on the street so our cars get plowed in, and there was a 5-foot wide area of 3-4 foot deep plowed snow on the road side of my car. And 3 feet on the sidewalk, between the cars, and on the cars. She shoveled for hours, got a friend to help her, and is coming back tomorrow to finish.

Got 34 inches here, biggest snowfall I've ever seen.

Did anyone else notice how good the defenses were in today's games? The Skins have a long way to go.

Did anyone else notice how good the defenses were in today's games? The Skins have a long way to go.

:goodposting: Good defense gives you ALOT of leeway on the otherside of the ball.

:goodposting: Good defense gives you ALOT of leeway on the otherside of the ball.

Yes but nice to see that we have the guy that built two of the best defenses lately in Seattle and San Fran. Realistically they are a few years away but with McCloughan they can build up properly to be good for long time.

2 people like this

Basically, Denver is winning based on defense alone. Manning is a shell of his former self. That defense is amazing.

Carolina's is good too but they have an offense to match it. That may be the difference in the Super Bowl.

Yes, we need to build toward this.

"Defense wins championships"

1 person likes this

Mack is a big upgrade. But McCloughan is definitely a build through the draft GM. He publicly said he was taught to not go after free agents, but he would do it selectively with the Redskins. I doubt he will go after any big name free agents.

This is how I'm leaning. Mack hitting the free market will mean a very large asking price. Not sure the new and improved 'Skins front office would tie up so much cap space on a 30 year old C.

Yeah, but it's not like Washington had the chance to hire Wade Phillips last year and went with Joe Barry instead.

:wall::wall::wall:

Edited by zftcg
2 people like this

Yeah, but it's not like Washington had the chance to hire Wade Phillips last year and went with Joe Barry instead.

Still no idea why we didn't hire Phillips. Barry was alright this year, but Phillips is in a different class.

Gruden was on shaky ground after last year. Hiring the DC was his call. He wasn't going to hire someone who could step in and take his job in a pinch, which might have made a midseason firing more appealing to the front office if the team's record and play were bad. Joe Barry was no threat to Gruden's job.

That's why I think it happened the way it did. Having Phillips would have been far better for the team.

2 people like this

On Kirk Cousins: he should get a Kaepernick or Tannehill type of deal. I have not looked out the specifics, but I think he should get around $90 M for 5 years ($18 M per year ave). A little less than half will be guaranteed. So around $42 M guaranteed. If Kirk flops, you can move on after two years. If he does well, you have him for 5. I would prefer to take the cap hits up front and not defer them. Otherwise, it gets harder to move on in years 3 or 4.

I think the biggest need are DL and OL. The one thing the Green Bay and first Dallas game showed is that the OL still has a lot of issues. They played remarkably well given how inexperienced they are and two starters were lost for most of the season. But they were badly exposed in some games. And the run blocking was never that good once we got to week 3.

The DL was beaten by GB's supposedly weak OL. They need a playmaker on the DL.

They need to improve at S and RB (assuming Alf leaves). You can always use upgrades at any position, including CB, WR, ILB, special teams.

Just reading in here because I watched a few Redskin games (for FF) this year and lived in Ashburn for 9 years. $18M per year for Cousins really makes me glad we signed Newton to a $20M per year deal before this season. Seems like a bargain to have him for 5 more years (it starts in 2016) at $20M per year. I liked Cousins this year, but man, that is a lot of money for a guy who might not be as good as his numbers. Could be Foles a few years ago or could be your franchise QB to build around. Such a tough call.

Gruden was on shaky ground after last year. Hiring the DC was his call. He wasn't going to hire someone who could step in and take his job in a pinch, which might have made a midseason firing more appealing to the front office if the team's record and play were bad. Joe Barry was no threat to Gruden's job.

That's why I think it happened the way it did. Having Phillips would have been far better for the team.

Yeah, could be that. The other thing about Phillips is that he's basically the Brandon Marshall of DCs. He comes in his first year and is a major difference-maker, but then somehow a couple years later teams seem to tire of him and move on. Still, considering the guy was out of the league for a year after he left Houston, I bet there are a lot of teams that are kicking themselves right now for not grabbing him when they could.