dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** 2016 and beyond Washington Redskins Thread

2,617 posts in this topic

The Skins should try and trade D-Jax for Josh Gordon if they can.

That's doubtful. I've been of the mindset that Jackson would be released due to his cap hit escalating this year, however Cousins numbers improved dramatically when a healthy Reed/Jackson were on the field. I'm guessing Garcon will get released, Jackson will be retained and they will draft another WR in the mid/late rounds.

That's doubtful. I've been of the mindset that Jackson would be released due to his cap hit escalating this year, however Cousins numbers improved dramatically when a healthy Reed/Jackson were on the field. I'm guessing Garcon will get released, Jackson will be retained and they will draft another WR in the mid/late rounds.

I think they'll try to bring Garcon back at a discount. Jackson is almost 100% coming back, in my mind.

I think they'll try to bring Garcon back at a discount. Jackson is almost 100% coming back, in my mind.

I bet this is what actually happens, but it would be interesting wouldn't it?

Not much point in doing anything with Jackson and Garcon unless you have another way to spend the money. If they're going to avoid high-priced FAs, as we assume they will, then they may not need to cut either of them. In other words, what's the opportunity cost of keeping these guys? What are they missing out on by keeping them? The main thing I can think of is that maybe their money is needed to pay Cousins and Reed and maybe some others they want to extend?

2 people like this

So Scotch says we r not gonna be players in FA this yr. That's to be expected, but its nice to hear it reinforced by his statement. Also, not a fan of the idea of adding Mack or any pricey add this offseason. Any pricy offseason deals should be reserved for resigning home grown talent.

1 person likes this

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000629162/article/redskins-gm-wants-to-sign-kirk-cousins-long-term

Nothing crazy in there but I love McCloughan's comment about not discussing contracts with the media. For the first time since Snyder has owned the team it feels like they are being run competently.

Do you think Bruce Allen and VinnyC read that and thought "Holy ####. We're allowed to do that!? ####."

I just heard Scot McCloughan's interview on ESPN 980. Some of the highlights:

1. It is all about finding football players

2. They need to improve at every position

3. They will get better in the draft. They will get a little better in free agency (subtle, but don't expect much in free agency)

4. Asked if there were any issues keeping both Jackson and Garcon, McCloughan definitively said no. He called Jackson a game changer. Garcon is a pure football player. You don't get rid of football players because they are hard to find. (Expect both to be back without any renegotiated contracts)

5. Upcoming draft is strong in Redskins' area of needed. He would not elaborate

6. On Cousins contract negotiations, McCloughan identifies the talent, Bruce Allen and Eric Schaffer work out the nitty gritty.

7. Stated multiple times, it is not about him, it is about the organization and the Redskin organization is great.

8. Mentioned there was talent when he got here last year and specifically mentioned Spencer Long and Morgan Moses as talent that was already here.

9. Gruden is fuily in charge of the coaching and coaching staff.

2 people like this

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000629162/article/redskins-gm-wants-to-sign-kirk-cousins-long-term

Nothing crazy in there but I love McCloughan's comment about not discussing contracts with the media. For the first time since Snyder has owned the team it feels like they are being run competently.

Do you think Bruce Allen and VinnyC read that and thought "Holy ####. We're allowed to do that!? ####."

:lol:

To be fair Allen was as bad as Vinny at selecting talent but at least he's managed the cap and contracts responsibly.

1. It is all about finding football players

2. They need to improve at every position

3. They will get better in the draft. They will get a little better in free agency (subtle, but don't expect much in free agency)

4. Asked if there were any issues keeping both Jackson and Garcon, McCloughan definitively said no. He called Jackson a game changer. Garcon is a pure football player. You don't get rid of football players because they are hard to find. (Expect both to be back without any renegotiated contracts)

5. Upcoming draft is strong in Redskins' area of needed. He would not elaborate

6. On Cousins contract negotiations, McCloughan identifies the talent, Bruce Allen and Eric Schaffer work out the nitty gritty.

7. Stated multiple times, it is not about him, it is about the organization and the Redskin organization is great.

8. Mentioned there was talent when he got here last year and specifically mentioned Spencer Long and Morgan Moses as talent that was already here.

9. Gruden is fuily in charge of the coaching and coaching staff.

:wub:

I don't see how you can completely separate the two. McCloughan has to, in some way, communicate how much he likes someone so Bruce and Eric know how to negotiate.

"I like this guy, but there are 10 other guys like him we could get."

"I think this guy could be great. Make sure you get him!"

"We really need this guy back. He's key to what Jay wants to do."

"We're probably going to cut this guy."

I don't see how you can completely separate the two. McCloughan has to, in some way, communicate how much he likes someone so Bruce and Eric know how to negotiate.

I took that to mean that as a nice way to say "Bruce is just the Cap Guy".

Scot M sounds like a man with a vision and with the discipline to pursue it. Nice to hear.

1 person likes this

I don't think the two are separate. Obviously is Cousins demands $25M per year, there are big ramifications throughout the organization. So Allen and Schaffer certainly have guidance from McCloughan.

That was a very fair analysis of his season, and I'm certain the front office knows all of this as well.

The radio guys were arguing whether or not the team should franchise him this afternoon, and I can't see anything wrong with taking that route.

My take:

"We like you enough to pay you the average of the top 10 QBs, but only for one year. We've identified several areas we want you to improve, and if you can make strides in these areas, we'll be more comfortable with a long-term deal."

That was a very fair analysis of his season, and I'm certain the front office knows all of this as well.

The radio guys were arguing whether or not the team should franchise him this afternoon, and I can't see anything wrong with taking that route.

My take:

"We like you enough to pay you the average of the top 10 QBs, but only for one year. We've identified several areas we want you to improve, and if you can make strides in these areas, we'll be more comfortable with a long-term deal."

I did not bother to read the article.

Every signing involves risk. The Redskins have seen time and time again the risks when you sign the big name free agent coming off the best year of his career. Somehow those risks continually are underestimated.

The risks with Cousins make the price to sign him lower. If he has done this for years and is still in his prime, he would command top dollar. And that is still not without risk.

Sign Cousins to a contract extension that is consistent with what similar quarterbacks are making. I have estimated $18M per year, but that is definitely on the low end. The upper end is probably around $20M per year. And some believe it could be higher since the salary cap is projected to increase quite a bit and even more next year.

A final note: I strongly believe is paying as you go, so don't dish out huge signing bonuses to defer the cap hits. If it does not work out after 2 or 3 years, let him go without the huge cap hit. This mean guaranteed salaries and other bonuses in the first two years. And bigger cap hits the first two years. If you are building a team that will contend year after year, there is no need to mortgage the future for extra dollars now. I know this is the anti-Snyder way of handling the salary cap.

One more note on risk: McCloughan has made strong statements about building through the draft, developing players in your system, then keeping them. From a risk perspective, you could easily interpret this to mean it is less risky to sign your own players than to sign someone else's players.

Too often, the Redskins willing let one of their players walk away so they could sign another, high priced player. And it frequently worked out very poorly.

Edited by Marvelous

Chris Cooley asks Bruce Allen why the Redskins didn’t sign him last season

“What did I do wrong, man?” asked Cooley, who again expressed his interest in playing for his former team after the Redskins lost their third different tight end to a season-ending injury in December. “All I wanted to do was play for you. Why didn’t I get to play?”

“One, you’re so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didn’t want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I can’t go without him,” Allen said. “Actually Chris, you’re one of the great Washington Redskins. You can’t get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you weren’t retired at the time. But you will be. Your talent’s excellent. We’re trying to develop some new talent, see if we can find some new players. Once Coach [Jay] Gruden felt that was the way to go at the beginning of the year — and it had nothing to do with you — we didn’t want to break that. We wanted to stick to the plan that we had made up and he hated when your name came up, because if you ever want to bend something, well, you’re the one who would bend the rules anyway.”

That led Cooley to his next question, about just who is making the personnel decisions at Redskins Park. Cooley asked Allen to explain the dynamic between, and the various responsibilities of, Daniel Snyder, Scot McCloughan, Gruden and himself.

“All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing — trying to help the Redskins succeed,” Allen said. “And that is our job. Obviously, Jay’s the head coach — I don’t think I need to explain what the head coach’s duties are.”

I'm done with Cooley after this. Get over yourself dude.

“What did I do wrong, man?” asked Cooley, who again expressed his interest in playing for his former team after the Redskins lost their third different tight end to a season-ending injury in December. “All I wanted to do was play for you. Why didn’t I get to play?”

“One, you’re so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didn’t want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I can’t go without him,” Allen said. “Actually Chris, you’re one of the great Washington Redskins. You can’t get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you weren’t retired at the time. But you will be. Your talent’s excellent. We’re trying to develop some new talent, see if we can find some new players. Once Coach [Jay] Gruden felt that was the way to go at the beginning of the year — and it had nothing to do with you — we didn’t want to break that. We wanted to stick to the plan that we had made up and he hated when your name came up, because if you ever want to bend something, well, you’re the one who would bend the rules anyway.”

That led Cooley to his next question, about just who is making the personnel decisions at Redskins Park. Cooley asked Allen to explain the dynamic between, and the various responsibilities of, Daniel Snyder, Scot McCloughan, Gruden and himself.

“All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing — trying to help the Redskins succeed,” Allen said. “And that is our job. Obviously, Jay’s the head coach — I don’t think I need to explain what the head coach’s duties are.”

That is actually a pretty meaty answer for Allen. He completely avoided the followup question.

That is actually a pretty meaty answer for Allen. He completely avoided the followup question.

I mean not for nothing, but why does Allen have to explain the decision making process to Cooley?

Chris Cooley asks Bruce Allen why the Redskins didnt sign him last season

What did I do wrong, man? asked Cooley, who again expressed his interest in playing for his former team after the Redskins lost their third different tight end to a season-ending injury in December. All I wanted to do was play for you. Why didnt I get to play?

One, youre so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didnt want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I cant go without him, Allen said. Actually Chris, youre one of the great Washington Redskins. You cant get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you werent retired at the time. But you will be. Your talents excellent. Were trying to develop some new talent, see if we can find some new players. Once Coach [Jay] Gruden felt that was the way to go at the beginning of the year and it had nothing to do with you we didnt want to break that. We wanted to stick to the plan that we had made up and he hated when your name came up, because if you ever want to bend something, well, youre the one who would bend the rules anyway.

All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing trying to help the Redskins succeed, Allen said. And that is our job. Obviously, Jays the head coach I dont think I need to explain what the head coachs duties are.

I mean not for nothing, but why does Allen have to explain the decision making process to Cooley?

Cooley comes from the era where buddying up to Cerrato and Snyder got them whatever they wanted. It seems that culture has changed and Cooley is having trouble adjusting. Pretty sure that's how he got Andy Pollin's spot to begin with.

I liked him as a player and warmed up to him when he started his film breakdowns but he's turned into such a sanctimonious #####.

1 person likes this

I hope to God this was radio schtick on Cooley's part...because if not, he's delusional. If he was good enough to play right now, he'd be playing. The Redskins are only one of 32 teams. None of them bit. Basically, that's like me saying Jennifer Lawrence is a b--- for not jumping my bones. :D I mean, come on Jennifer, "ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS JUMP YOUR BONES!"

"“One, you’re so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didn’t want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I can’t go without him,” Allen said.

I wish Allen would have said, "You are doing too good of a job helping us win off the field!"

“Actually Chris, you’re one of the great Washington Redskins. You can’t get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you weren’t retired at the time. But you will be."

OK, someone said above that Allen gave a "meaty" answer about grooming young players. But there is also a LOT of fluff in Allen's answers. Here is some more:

"“All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing — trying to help the Redskins succeed,” Allen said. “And that is our job. Obviously, Jay’s the head coach — I don’t think I need to explain what the head coach’s duties are.”

Cooley interjected to ask if Gruden picks players.

“Oh, absolutely he has input,” Allen said. “Anytime we do a personnel decision, of any form, we all get together and we talk about it. Yesterday, Scot and the pro scouts, we were in there and we were watching defensive free agents who are going to come up this year. Every player that we discuss is a group decision on where we’re going to go. Everyone has some input into it. I’m talking about all the pro scouts, all the area scouts, even [for] the pro players, we’ll go back to our college reports and make sure we incorporate some views of the scouts.”

Basically, Allen is saying nothing. "We all want to win. We all have input." Thanks Bruce.

I wouldn't classify that as "nothing", personally. We know from that, that Bruce doesn't just sit in an office and look at numbers with Shaffer, as some people like to think. That Scot works closely with his coaches and scouts (in all departments) and isn't just a lone wolf genius succeeding despite an organization full of morons. He's building a think tank like he was a part of in Seattle and making decisions the same way.

1 person likes this

I hope to God this was radio schtick on Cooley's part...because if not, he's delusional. If he was good enough to play right now, he'd be playing. The Redskins are only one of 32 teams. None of them bit. Basically, that's like me saying Jennifer Lawrence is a b--- for not jumping my bones. :D I mean, come on Jennifer, "ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS JUMP YOUR BONES!"

"“One, you’re so valuable in the [Redskins radio broadcast] booth, and Sonny [Jurgensen] really didn’t want you to leave the booth and Larry [Michael] said I can’t go without him,” Allen said.

I wish Allen would have said, "You are doing too good of a job helping us win off the field!"

“Actually Chris, you’re one of the great Washington Redskins. You can’t get into our [list of the 80 greatest Redskins] yet, because you weren’t retired at the time. But you will be."

OK, someone said above that Allen gave a "meaty" answer about grooming young players. But there is also a LOT of fluff in Allen's answers. Here is some more:

"“All four of those people, along with the other 100 who work at Redskins Park and the other 80 people working at FedEx Field, all are doing one thing — trying to help the Redskins succeed,” Allen said. “And that is our job. Obviously, Jay’s the head coach — I don’t think I need to explain what the head coach’s duties are.”

Cooley interjected to ask if Gruden picks players.

“Oh, absolutely he has input,” Allen said. “Anytime we do a personnel decision, of any form, we all get together and we talk about it. Yesterday, Scot and the pro scouts, we were in there and we were watching defensive free agents who are going to come up this year. Every player that we discuss is a group decision on where we’re going to go. Everyone has some input into it. I’m talking about all the pro scouts, all the area scouts, even [for] the pro players, we’ll go back to our college reports and make sure we incorporate some views of the scouts.”

Basically, Allen is saying nothing. "We all want to win. We all have input." Thanks Bruce.

For Bruce Allen, one tidbit of meat counts as a really meaty answer. He is the master of fluff.

While watching the playoffs and the Super Bowl, my one conclusion: in order to have a top defense, you need to be able to rush the quarterback. It is the only way to make an MVP look ordinary. It is the only way to make a red hot Carson Palmer look ordinary.

The Redskins could use every draft pick this year on D Line, pass rushers, and O Line. And if the picks pan out, it will look great.

2 people like this

The Redskins could use every draft pick this year on D Line, pass rushers, and O Line. And if the picks pan out, it will look great.

Not sure if you are suggesting they consider this strategy or not, but this is a type of approach that I'm totally against. This strategy would undoubtedly lead to several players being drafted way above their value and would lead towards missing out on better talents.

BPA FOREVER!!!

Not sure if you are suggesting they consider this strategy or not, but this is a type of approach that I'm totally against. This strategy would undoubtedly lead to several players being drafted way above their value and would lead towards missing out on better talents.

BPA FOREVER!!!

BPA is why teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, and Green Bay have been good for many years.

That and having a great QB (Or Defense in the case of the Ravens).

BPA FOREVER!!!

BPA is why teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, and Green Bay have been good for many years.

I believe strongly in BPA. But every team says they do it, including the Redskins for the past two decades. But if you look at the drafts over the past two decades, there have been very few OL and DL drafted, especially in the top rounds of the draft.

The Redskins need to invest heavily in OL, DL, and pass rushers. Not just this year, but every year.

BPA FOREVER!!!

I believe strongly in BPA. But every team says they do it, including the Redskins for the past two decades. But if you look at the drafts over the past two decades, there have been very few OL and DL drafted, especially in the top rounds of the draft.

The Redskins need to invest heavily in OL, DL, and pass rushers. Not just this year, but every year.

True, and BPA is subjective. So if they evaluate the talent of 2 players, and that talent is roughly equal, take the player at a position you need. Mainly BPA applies where people reach for positions of need over a talented player (possibly like Scherff over Leonard Williams, depends on how they evaluated the players).

It's hard to judge the Redskins recent draft history since they haven't had a first round pick for 2 of the last 3 years. Prior to that they drafted very well in the first round (With the RG3 pick depending on your opinion).

This year they'll probably take an offensive lineman or defensive lineman, and that player will most likely be the BPA (Scot knows what he's doing).

Also, it would be kind of cool if the Redskins got Malik Jackson, assuming he doesn't break the bank. He's a very talented player coming into his prime (Not a moderately talented player past his prime) and could help solidify the interior of our line, assuming we lost most of our D-line to FA.

I looked at the Redskins drafts from 1994 - 2013, which is 20 years of bad football. I left out 2014 and 2015 hoping that things have changed.

The Redskins had 17 1st round picks. They include 4 QBs, 3 OL, 2 DL (one is Kerrigan), 2 LBs, and surprisingly, 4 DBs.

In the 2nd round, they only had 14 picks. They include 3 OL, 1 DL, and 2 LB.

In the 3rd round, they had 15 picks. They include 4 OL, 0 DL, 1 LB.

Of these 48 picks, 22% are on OL, 6.5% on DL (one is Kerrigan), and 11% on LB, many who are not pass rushers. It is difficult to build a good defense with only 3 DL drafted in the rounds 1-3 over the past 20 years.

The other interesting note: 28 of the 46 picks are on offense, only 18 are on defense.

And the obvious: the average team has 20 picks in each round. The Redskins are continually have a bad hand since they have 3/4 the draft picks of an average team.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Redskins and QB Kirk Cousins have broken off contract talks, per team source. No further talks scheduled.

Welp.

6 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Welp.

Best possible scenario for the team, IMO.  They franchise him and get one more year to determine whether or not he's worth a long-term deal.

14 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Best possible scenario for the team, IMO.  They franchise him and get one more year to determine whether or not he's worth a long-term deal.

They would probably be paying him more this year with a tag than if they signed him to a long-term deal.  And if he has another good year, his contract price is just going to go up even more.

8 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

They would probably be paying him more this year with a tag than if they signed him to a long-term deal.  And if he has another good year, his contract price is just going to go up even more.

Yes, a short term overpayment as opposed to a salary cap-crippling 3 or 5 years.  Totally worth it.  If he plays next year at 90% of this year, he's then well-worth what his contract would demand next year.

Edited by tangfoot
2 people like this

Have no problem franchising him this year. If he plays well, then sign him long-term. If he goes back to the Kirk of old, then you move on and no harm done.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, dehaven123 said:

Classic negotiation technique.

The Redskins are highly capable of screwing up a good thing. Letting Cousins walk would simply be another blunder in a long list of blunders over the past couple decades. That being said, they have to know that they need him. The alternatives are heading back to the bottom of the division. You must take the chance and sign him. It's the way the league is. With no QB and no top 5 D, you are nothing in this league.

I don't think they'll let him walk, but if they do I'm 100% confident it will be because someone much smarter than me decided it was the best move for the team and did so with a plan in mind.

Edited by 5 Digits