dgreen

***OFFICIAL*** 2016 and beyond Washington Redskins Thread

2,969 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Sebowski said:

Completely uncalled for by Cooley. He's officially jumped the shark and can go #### himself. And I was a huge fan. Met the fella his rookie year at camp. 

Who is the last Redskin that has gone on to be good at media? I don't think we can claim Mark Schlereth 

Just like his crap earlier in the offseason about Ihenacho being upset. It's clear Cooley is still bitter about not be re-signed so he could suck up even more to Cousins and now is just saying baseless crap.

Andy Pollin is with 106.7 now. 

2 people like this

Re media thing: Joe T for sure. Forgot about Mark May. I kind of think of Charlie Casslery as a Redskin.

2 hours ago, MattFancy said:

Just like his crap earlier in the offseason about Ihenacho being upset. It's clear Cooley is still bitter about not be re-signed so he could suck up even more to Cousins and now is just saying baseless crap.

I think you can claim Mark Schlereth possibly.  From his Wikipedia page:

"Schlereth was selected in the 10th round (#263 overall) of the 1989 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He played 12 NFL seasons—six with Washington (1989–1994) and six with the Denver Broncos (1995–2000). He was a member of three Super Bowl championship teams (one with the Redskins and two with the Broncos) and was selected to the Pro Bowl for his performances in the 1991 and 1998 seasons."

Lots of folks see him as a Bronco but he was drafted by Washington, played as many years here as he did with Denver; also won a Super Bowl here, and made a Pro Bowl here. 

Other than that, yeah Joe T. comes to mind.

I've heard Doc Walker call games before, in preseason and college and he's actually pretty good.  If he ever got a chance on a bigger stage, I think he'd shine.

14 hours ago, dgreen said:

Cooley had the day off today...for some reason. 

Was he back today?  If so, did he address this at all?

ESPN's Jason Reid reports "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins" have said free agent Cousins doesn't want to be with the Redskins and wants to be franchise-tagged.

This doesn't make sense. If he doesn't want to be with the Redskins, why would he want them to franchise him? Wouldn't he hope they didn't so he could try and get more guaranteed money elsewhere?

20 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

ESPN's Jason Reid reports "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins" have said free agent Cousins doesn't want to be with the Redskins and wants to be franchise-tagged.

This doesn't make sense. If he doesn't want to be with the Redskins, why would he want them to franchise him? Wouldn't he hope they didn't so he could try and get more guaranteed money elsewhere?

So on the one hand we have:  "former Redskins officials who know Kirk Cousins"

On the other hand, you have Cousins himself who has publically said, he'd love to stay with the team and build something here.

What is going to happen is this:

1.  People will say what Cousins actually said is not credible, it's only negotiation, etc. etc.

2.  People will say the unnamed sources are speaking the Gospel Truth.

If you want to interpret the sky is falling, then yeah, the sky is falling.  Go for it.

But the fact is there is competing, contradictory information floating around out there.  Folks who say they know for certain what's happening are basically just fooling themselves.  They are selectively choosing the rumor to believe that reinforces their own per-conceived view of the situation.  Which is fine.  It's a free country.  We can believe what we want to believe.

We should just not confuse opinion and conjecture with solid facts,

Go Caps!

Go WIzards!

(PS...this is why so many people are skeptical of the media nowadays...not just in sports but in everything.  :()

Edited by MikeApf

3 hours ago, dgreen said:

Andy Pollin is with 106.7 now. 

I wondered when they'd make him an offer. I wish I could pick that station up on my drive to work and back. Good for him.

26 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

But the fact is there is competing, contradictory information floating around out there.  Folks who say they know for certain what's happening are basically just fooling themselves.  They are selectively choosing the rumor to believe that reinforces their own per-conceived view of the situation.  Which is fine.  It's a free country.  We can believe what we want to believe.

We should just not confuse opinion and conjecture with solid facts,

Go Caps!

Go WIzards!

(PS...this is why so many people are skeptical of the media nowadays...not just in sports but in everything.  :()

This happens every year leading up and during to free agency and contracting negotiations and the draft. Agents and teams float information anonymously to try to influence things one way or another. This time of year the accuracy of football reporting is always way lower than during the rest of the year. It has nothing to do with the media in general --- it's an annual football event. There's truth out there, and there are obvious falsehoods out there, and there's guesswork out there, and most of it sounds the same. Then after free agency and the draft, football reporting goes back to the way it is the rest of the year.

As far as reliable people, there's this from Chuck Sapienza, who was ESPN980's programming director for years. That doesn't make it true, but it's a source with credibility.

“Let me put it this way: Cooley’s not a bad guy,” said Chuck Sapienza, former program director of WTEM — the radio station on which Cooley made those remarks — told Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan. “So some people that would say something like that would have an ax to grind or would hate someone.”

“That’s not Cooley at all,” he said. “He’s not a bad person. He’s also a very smart person. He’s one of the smarter athletes that I’ve been around in my career. But he’s also very connected with the front office. He’s too smart to not throw something out there unless he was either told something, heard something or he’s seen something. There’s no way that he just speculates. Nobody with the intelligence level of Chris would speculate on somebody having a drinking issue unless that was something that he, like I said, had either seen, heard or was told.”

“Is it appropriate for him to bring up on the air in this capacity?” Dukes asked.

“No. No. Not at all. Unless he’s being told to,” Sapienza said. “That’s the thing, you don’t do that about somebody. I mean, look, I like Chris a lot, but Chris I’m sure enjoys a cocktail or two every once in a while. It wouldn’t be right if one of his coworkers, and again, when you work at the station across the street, you are basically coworkers with the organization.

“You have an email address that’s the same and they work together, especially on their radio network. You work side by side with these people. I worked side by side with many people over at Ashburn. I could walk in without having to stop at the front desk. I mean it’s just the way it was.”

“Now, you don’t say that unless, again, you’re either told something or you’re asked to say something,” he said.

“He’s tied to them. He’s tied to the organization,” Sapienza said of Cooley. “He’s one of the main people on their radio network. He was a former player. He knows those guys inside out and backwards. He’s probably the most connected person at that radio station that’s connected with the front office. There’s no doubt about it. There’s absolutely no doubt about it.

“So for him to say that, like I said, I just believe he was either told something or heard something. And the way that Redskins Park has run in the past — it hasn’t totally in the last year — but how it’s been run in the past, is when they want to get rid of somebody, they turn the leaks on and the leaks continue until somebody’s gone.

“That’s why I tweeted out yesterday I wouldn’t be surprised if McCloughan’s gone sooner rather than later, probably, maybe by the end of this year, maybe sooner,” he said. “Because when they start putting stuff like that out, it’s General Flynn-esque. That’s what they do. It’s what they do.”

55 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

Because then he is free to sign with any team in 2018. There is no way in hell the Redskins will pay him over 30 Mil. for a 3rd franchise tag. He knows that.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MikeApf said:

The little I listened today, I didn't hear him.

When Andy was on with The Junkies, they asked him "Who else is following you here from 980?" Andy will be doing a show on Saturday mornings with Thom Loverro. Jason jokingly said, "Maybe Cooley will be here soon." They didn't discuss it any further, though.

58 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

So a Shanahan or Sean McVay?

This team is making a serious run at most ####ed up franchise. Not everyone has a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or Matt Ryan. Finding one is the hardest thing to do in the NFL. They have a top 10 QB and are going to #### it all up after years of suffering with turds. They want a new turd it appears. They will be going right back to where they were without Cousins. A bottom feeder in the toughest division in the NFL. What a joke of a FO.

6 minutes ago, lod001 said:

This team is making a serious run at most ####ed up franchise. Not everyone has a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or Matt Ryan. Finding one is the hardest thing to do in the NFL. They have a top 10 QB and are going to #### it all up after years of suffering with turds. They want a new turd it appears. They will be going right back to where they were without Cousins. A bottom feeder in the toughest division in the NFL. What a joke of a FO.

I think Cousins will be back. It may be on a franchise tag, but I'm pretty confident he'll be the starting QB here in 2017.

Just now, MattFancy said:

I think Cousins will be back. It may be on a franchise tag, but I'm pretty confident he'll be the starting QB here in 2017.

Barring a draft day trade, yes he will be under  a franchise tag. But if the rumor that he doesn't want to be there is true, they have already lost him and will go back to being a bottom feeder barring lightning striking...AGAIN. They got lucky they had this guy and Bob failed or they wouldn't have a top QB right now. They are working hard trying to lose him. Idiots.

7 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Barring a draft day trade, yes he will be under  a franchise tag. But if the rumor that he doesn't want to be there is true, they have already lost him and will go back to being a bottom feeder barring lightning striking...AGAIN. They got lucky they had this guy and Bob failed or they wouldn't have a top QB right now. They are working hard trying to lose him. Idiots.

If he really, truly doesn't want to be here then they need to tag and trade him THIS OFFSEASON, in order to get something from him. 

There is no point in signing him to a "one year rental contract."  Now, I'm not saying he really doesn't want to be here.  But if he doesn't.  Tag, trade, see ya, then move on to the future.  Try to squeeze SF's # 2 and another decent pick.  Go D Line with the # 2 pick and think about QB with # 17. 

Whether it's signing Cousins, or trading him, either way we need to look to build something for the future, because we are probably not Super Bowl contenders next year.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, Sebowski said:

Nobody wants to fire up a 2017 thread? Maybe we should just retitle this one and let this ride. 

Thread title updated.

2 people like this

28 minutes ago, fatness said:

This happens every year leading up and during to free agency and contracting negotiations and the draft. Agents and teams float information anonymously to try to influence things one way or another. This time of year the accuracy of football reporting is always way lower than during the rest of the year. It has nothing to do with the media in general --- it's an annual football event. There's truth out there, and there are obvious falsehoods out there, and there's guesswork out there, and most of it sounds the same. Then after free agency and the draft, football reporting goes back to the way it is the rest of the year.

As far as reliable people, there's this from Chuck Sapienza, who was ESPN980's programming director for years. That doesn't make it true, but it's a source with credibility.

Wow, if they jettison Scot M this year then that will be major suckage.  Let's just bring back Vinnie Cerrato while we're at it.

I really do hope that all of this is just dumb speculation by shock jocks and not the smoke that preceeds fire.

I'm still very skeptical of all the shock jock media commentary as this is just what they do.  According to Cooley, Marvin Lewis was not going to be coaching the Bengals next season.  He's not right just because he's Chris Cooley and he's "connected." 

I dunno...you may be right but I hope you're wrong, if that makes any sense.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, dgreen said:

Thread title updated.

"...and beyond WHAT?" is the question.

:D

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, dgreen said:
5 hours ago, MikeApf said:

The little I listened today, I didn't hear him.

When Andy was on with The Junkies, they asked him "Who else is following you here from 980?" Andy will be doing a show on Saturday mornings with Thom Loverro. Jason jokingly said, "Maybe Cooley will be here soon." They didn't discuss it any further, though.

Cooley was supposedly off from Wednesday through end of week according to Sheehan (and actually according to my wife, who also listens to the show some days). Wife is a great football fan and has gotten quite knowledgeable; fun to watch games with. During some Giants game this year (I think it was Cowboys- Giants) Eli dropped back to pass and she let out this big booming "PUT THAT LITTLE ####### TWERP ON HIS ###!!!!".

Anyway, I can see Cooley either being fired or being on his last legs at 980. Bull in a china shop, and his BMOC act has worn thin.

1 person likes this

this news about Cousins sucks. I want them to either trade him for 2 1sts now (assuming someone is wililng) or sign him to a long term deal. They aren't going to win the SB next year, so why bother franchising him for 1 year so he can then walk?? This is so frustrating...

1 hour ago, CabinFever said:

this news about Cousins sucks. I want them to either trade him for 2 1sts now (assuming someone is wililng) or sign him to a long term deal. They aren't going to win the SB next year, so why bother franchising him for 1 year so he can then walk?? This is so frustrating...

I wouldn't really call it "news". IMO, there has been almost no news, just a lot of speculation. I think there's been all this speculation because of the lack of real news. 

1 person likes this

I've been thinking about this Cooley thing and I remembered: in 2015 he wanted badly to play for the Skins again. He promised on the air that he'd play somewhere that season, and lobbied hard to play for the Skins. He said, repeatedly, that he had every decision-maker at Redskin Park convinced except one of them, and made it obvious that one was McCloughan.  He said he'd play for the vet minimum, donate part of his salary to charity.

The Skins never made an offer, he then tried out for Arizona and the Giants who both were uninterested.

He was desperate to get back into football and blames McCloughan for it not happening.

1 person likes this

Pollin will also team with another ESPN 980 exile, his former “Sports Reporters” guest Thom Loverro, to host a Saturday morning program on 106.7 The Fan. That show, tentatively known as “Pollin and Loverro,” will air Saturdays from 9 a.m. to noon, starting on Feb. 25

As much as I have disliked the way Snyder has run the team (and I still don't like him or Allen), I don't think he or the org deserve the media going down these roads.  There are rumors flying, but they are unsubstantiated.  It's almost like people are making things up to stir up something to talk about, and that includes Reid and Cooley and others.  

But Snyder, Allen, McCloughan and Gruden (and all the players)....I'm not hearing anything negative.  They aren't leaking what they plan to do with players or in the draft.  There is nothing solidly pointing to any issues.  I'll wait until real stories come out rather than rumors before judging anyone.  Until then the media can invent stories to keep listeners entertained.  instead they should squash the Redskins talk for a while and look into the other sports this city is a major player in.

3 minutes ago, fatness said:

Hopefully this distacts the talking heads from their Kirk frenzy for at least an hour or so.

On 2/16/2017 at 1:32 PM, steelers1080 said:

Scot did have an issue that he worked through. If he was back off the wagon then there'd be reports about it, not just wild speculation by a person who is more of a joke than anything nowadays.

Also, the Skins should franchise Cousins and hope that San Fran signs him away for 2 first round picks. 

Are you suggesting that the person you're talking about doesn't drink whatsoever? 

On 2/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, Arodin said:

Hopefully this distacts the talking heads from their Kirk frenzy for at least an hour or so.

Unpossible.

On 2/17/2017 at 9:54 PM, Brunell4MVP said:

As much as I have disliked the way Snyder has run the team (and I still don't like him or Allen), I don't think he or the org deserve the media going down these roads.  There are rumors flying, but they are unsubstantiated.  It's almost like people are making things up to stir up something to talk about, and that includes Reid and Cooley and others.  

But Snyder, Allen, McCloughan and Gruden (and all the players)....I'm not hearing anything negative.  They aren't leaking what they plan to do with players or in the draft.  There is nothing solidly pointing to any issues.  I'll wait until real stories come out rather than rumors before judging anyone.  Until then the media can invent stories to keep listeners entertained.  instead they should squash the Redskins talk for a while and look into the other sports this city is a major player in.

The local Radio guys haven't really adjusted to a post Cerrato organization.  They were so used to just being handed any/all information.  

Also when flipping on Sports Center it'll make your head turn when you see COUSINS TRADE.......and then realize they are talking about DeMarcus Cousins.

48 minutes ago, thayman said:

The local Radio guys haven't really adjusted to a post Cerrato organization.  They were so used to just being handed any/all information.  

Also when flipping on Sports Center it'll make your head turn when you see COUSINS TRADE.......and then realize they are talking about DeMarcus Cousins.

:lmao: I saw that and did the double take and saw it wasn't NFL news.

Cooley not on the air again today, but they're still calling the show 'Kevin & Cooley". So I guess he's suspended, not fired?

ESPN 980 Verified account ‏@espn980

#NFL @CharleyCasserly w/ @kevins980 on #Redskins & Kirk - "When you talk to people around the league there's a mixed feeling on Cousins..."

ESPN 980 Verified account ‏@espn980

#NFL @CharleyCasserly w/ @kevins980 on Kirk w/ #Redskins - "You got to know when you have a good situation, and this is a good situation..."

If you listened this morning, Casserly was saying Cousins wouldn't command as big a guarantee as Sheehan/Cooley think, and that Cousins likely recognized that other situations he'd go to were not as good as the one in DC. I think Casserly was talking $20 million/yr. with $60 million guaranteed. I'd have no problem with a salary like that.

Rich Tandler

Ty Nsekhe not going anywhere There seems to be some confusion as to Ty Nsekhe’s free agent status. Some websites have him as a restricted free agent. But from what I can tell he will be an exclusive rights free agent. You need to have three accrued seasons to be a RFA. Nsekhe has two seasons from the last two years here but he came to the Redskins without any. He did appear in two games for the Rams in 2012 but he wasn’t on the roster long enough to accrue a season. This means that the Redskins will bring him back, probably on a one-year, minimum salary contract.

Thompson, Compton restricted The Redskins third-down back and Mike linebacker are restricted free agents as they each have three accrued seasons in Washington. The Redskins can tender them one-year contracts and then they can go out and solicit offer sheets that Washington would have an opportunity to match. RFA’s rarely end up changing teams so they both likely will be back.

Duke Ihenacho back? He played in 15 games at safety last year, starting 10. His play was competent in may respects but had the most missed tackles in the team, 15, despite being 10th on the team in snaps played. The coaches were reluctant to use him sometimes because he tended to freelance. Ihenacho will be an unrestricted free agent and I haven’t heard much talk about his status. That’s kind of unusual for a guy who started 10 games. If I had to guess I’d say he’s not going to return but that’s just a hunch.

Also check out the video on that page where Chris Russell says he'd take Cousins over Roethlisberger. :lol:

Edited by fatness

1 hour ago, fatness said:

Rich Tandler

Also check out the video on that page where Chris Russell says he'd take Cousins over Roethlisberger. :lol:

At least the other three kindly told him he's an idiot. 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:53 AM, fatness said:

I was a little surprised that TJ Lang wasn't mentioned in the group. Maybe it's because GB has all that cap space, but GB showed last year that they are willing to part with interior OLmen. According to Rotoworld, "Impending free agent RG T.J. Lang wants to re-sign with the Packers but admitted he hasn't "heard a word from them" about a new contract."

Of course I would agree Zietler/Warford would be preferable but I also would expect both of them to sign for more money than Lang.

As it stands now the most likely scenario is that cousins forces them to franchise tag him for 2017 and then he walks in 2018 over to SF and Shanahan for big $. He screws the team that refused to sign him in the process. There is no way they franchise tag him a 3rd time. The cost is out of the realm of possibilities. Cousins holds all the cards right now. If he performs well in 2017, he screws this team over and they go back to being a bottom feeder. In a league where top QBs are the hardest thing to acquire, these morons are going to let one walk out the door. It's unprecedented. 

1 person likes this

Pretty soon Cousins will have to decide if he wants to stay on a team whose coach (and GM likely) want him with an offense geared to him for a reasonable amount of money, or go to a crap team for more money, perform at a far lower level, and not have a herd of local sports broadcasters cheering for him. He hasn't always done well under pressure on a team that wants him. Imagine him on a new lousy team, with no loyal fans and sportscasters, talking to the press about lots of losses. He has it pretty cushy here. He won't elsewhere.

2 people like this